Chinese Skating News, Pt. 4: Fresh Noodles for Milan 2026

Status
Not open for further replies.

On My Own

Not just IP, his post mentioned that he has arrived in Canada for a few days and he withdrew after discussing with the coaching team. So at least he's indeed training with Orser and co.
I mean there's just no way he didn't know he was having pains in the surgical area and only found out from Orser and co that he shouldn't do the GP when he reached Toronto (literally could have asked that on Zoom). CFSA shenanigans abound, but at least he's staying put in Canada.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
I mean there's just no way he didn't know he was having pains in the surgical area and only found out from Orser and co that he shouldn't do the GP when he reached Toronto (literally could have asked that on Zoom). CFSA shenanigans abound, but at least he's staying put in Canada.
Well, it is possible that he kept the injury/pain issues to himself so that he could get out of China and to Toronto to work with Orser & Co. I just hope that he isn't called back to China now that he's out of both of his GPs.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
As I posted on another thread this morn, please be aware of this new Chinese-Russian sports cooperation that was signed a few days ago. It may or may not affect cooperation in figure skating.

On My Own

As I posted on another thread this morn, please be aware of this new Chinese-Russian sports cooperation that was signed a few days ago. It may or may not affect cooperation in figure skating.

Well, we'll see if W/L withdraw.
Well, it is possible that he kept the injury/pain issues to himself so that he could get out of China and to Toronto to work with Orser & Co. I just hope that he isn't called back to China now that he's out of both of his GPs.
I do wonder what took him so long to get there, since Orser suggested he was to be in Toronto in September, so yeah, really not sure, maybe this is the reason, which already is very shitty of that fed. I do hope he stays put.

On My Own

I do really want Peng/Jin to leave China, at this point, and go abroad to train. Probably not Oakville, but possibly Montreal, with the coaching team that trains SDDes & MatFer, perhaps.
I doubt they would go to Montreal. In a new book published last week, Julianne Seguin described in detail the toxic relationship that developed between her and Josee Picard, and how she was constantly harassed about maintaining a certain weight - among other things.
I wonder if Orser could take them on too? Team China pretty much only had a collaboration with him and Raf, plus they used to appear along with Orser's current and former students in the Korean ice show, so they've worked with him (ignoring anything they might have trained while he was visiting Beijing during the previous cycle)... Not sure if he'll accept them as a pair, I guess, but could help them with the SBS, and they'll be out of China, at least.

barbarafan

I wonder if Orser could take them on too? Team China pretty much only had a collaboration with him and Raf, plus they used to appear along with Orser's current and former students in the Korean ice show, so they've worked with him (ignoring anything they might have trained while he was visiting Beijing during the previous cycle)... Not sure if he'll accept them as a pair, I guess, but could help them with the SBS, and they'll be out of China, at least.
If they want Montreal....there are others besides Piche....Yvan Desjardin has trained pairs & also comes up with great choreo. Lubov has been around his rink as well.

SkateFanBerlin

Thanks for this post. A separate Russian spearheaded competition structuure has been needed for a long time. Obviously, they have different ideas than most countries about fair-play. Chernyshenko upholds "Sports should be out of politics". I think most fans would respond "Sports should be out of cheating". (interaction of federations and judges, competitive advantage through chemicals, etc.)

raruki

I don’t see a clear and obvious involvement from Russian in Chinese Olympic sports teams except for the Chinese RG team which indeed hire a Russian coach at this moment.
It is propaganda rather than a concrete action plan for me.

On My Own

raruki

China (mainly Team Heilongjiang) will send some junior ice dance pairs to compete in some international events.
Some ice dance pairs will attend the Santa Claus Cup at the end of this month.

Li Xuantong/ Wang XinKang and Chen Xizi /Xing Jianing will attend this event.

raruki

I love love love Heilongjiang's ice dance team. First of all, the head coach, Zheng Xun, the former no.1 ice dance athlete in China, is very hot LOL. But most importantly, unlike their rival counterparts, especially Team Jilin, who always get the chance to train overseas and are choreographed by foreign choreographers, team Heilongjiang mainly trains and choreographs domestically, but they can produce more promising skaters, like Li/Wang and Liu/Ge(sadly they don’t have the chance to compete internationally) and more well-rounded and entertaining programs.

Li Xuantong/ Wang Xinkang's harry Poter's FD this season is extremely entertaining, love the dramas and passions in this program.
https://www.bilibili.com/video/BV1cG4y1r7to/?spm_id_from=333.337.search-card.all.click

Gris

不做奴才做公民
Great news, and interesting that Li / Wang are listed for both Junior and Senior ice dance. Hope they can get MTS for both! And... Maybe three Chinese dance teams at 4CC?

Last edited:

On My Own

But most importantly, unlike their rival counterparts, especially Team Jilin, who always get the chance to train overseas and are choreographed by foreign choreographers,
stares blankly into the distance

Last edited:

Karen-W

Wait, there's hope for Chinese athletes to appear at CS events? I hope An Xiangyi and Peng/Jin get to go, and yes, fingers crossed for them sending more than one athlete or team to 4CCs.
Aren't Peng/Jin injured, which is why they WD from their GPs? Or are you meaning Yang/Deng, the pairs team they sent to one JGP?

On My Own

Aren't Peng/Jin injured, which is why they WD from their GPs? Or are you meaning Yang/Deng, the pairs team they sent to one JGP?
Well either would be fine, assuming P/J are recovered enough by now. And assuming Jin Yang's injury wasn't just CFSA speak for "they didn't have ice time or coaches during the summer".

raruki

According to the insiders, China, mainly team Heilongjiang and Beijing, will send other athletes to attend the other junior and senior B events. I have heard that some pair teams from Heilongjiang, likely Zhang Siyang/ Yang Yongchao and Wang Huidi/ Jia Ziqi, will attend the Golden Spin of Zagreb to earn the senior MTS for both 4CC and Worlds. Some male single skaters, likely Team Beijing(Chen Yudong, Zhang He, Fang Shuai), will fly to Indonesia to attend the Asian Open.

Last edited:

On My Own

Fang Shuai is still here? I think his name was on the announcement for the "Judge training course" list. Although I think it also contained P/J so lol.

He was one of the two boys who were sent to train with Raf in 2018-19, btw. The other being Chen Yudong.

Gris

不做奴才做公民
Fang Shuai is still skating? I haven't seen him in domestic competitions for a long time. Anyway, great news.

ETA: Zhang / Yang's and Wang / Jia's ISU bios have been updated. Guess that's a sign of them taking part in international competitions soon.

Last edited:

raruki

Fang Shuai is still skating? I haven't seen him in domestic competitions for a long time. Anyway, great news.

ETA: Zhang / Yang's and Wang / Jia's ISU bios have been updated. Guess that's a sign of them taking part in international competitions soon.
According to the sources, they will send 2 skaters from Beijing to compete. Not sure whether Fang Shuai would be selected, but he is indeed training in Beijing for a long time.

Karen-W

According to the sources, they will send 2 skaters from Beijing to compete. Not sure whether Fang Shuai would be selected, but he is indeed training in Beijing for a long time.
What about Nini? Does it necessarily have to be 2 men? Could it be one man and one woman? Both Nini and Yudong did extremely well at their one JGP and would be quite likely to make the Senior TES mins easily.

raruki

What about Nini? Does it necessarily have to be 2 men? Could it be one man and one woman? Both Nini and Yudong did extremely well at their one JGP and would be quite likely to make the Senior TES mins easily.
I haven't heard any information regarding sending some female single skaters to compete internationally at this moment.

raruki

Zhang Siyang / Yang Yangchong ’s programs this season
SP:

FS:

Wang Huidi / Jia Ziqi
SP:

LP:

Zhang Siyang used to be a single skater, she changed and started to train in pair skating 2 years ago. I very like this team, and think that they could be a great force internationally because Zhang is a great pair girl with great skating skills and presentation skills, their technical elements are getting better and better too.

One positive thing regarding Wang/Jia is that they can land throw triple flip consistently which they used to very struggle with for a long time when they were training in the national team.

Luan Bo, former coach of Sui and Han, also come back from retirement and start to redevelop the Chinese junior pair teams at this moment. Wang Yihan, with his new partner Zhao Wantong, is now training under Luan Bo.

Last edited:

On My Own

Well I hope he is, instead of Zhang He. CFSA should start investing in younger men, they still just have Jin. Zhang He is even older than Jin, he's the same age as Yan Han, actually.

Who is Zhang He training with? Is he still with Xu/Fu? Or have Xu/Fu retired, now? And who is coaching Fang Shuai?

I haven't heard any information regarding sending some female single skaters to compete internationally at this moment.
Well, maybe it's because Nini is an independent athlete. Fingers crossed.

Zhang Siyang used to be a single skater, she changed and started to train in pair skating 2 years ago. I very like this team, and think that they could be a great force internationally because Zhang is a great pair girl with great skating skills and presentation skills, their technical elements are getting better and better too.
Oh I remember them, I thought they were gone too. Good to see them, they really do have potential as a team.

Luan Bo, former coach of Sui and Han, also come back from retirement and start to redevelop the Chinese junior pair teams at this moment. Wang Yihan, with his new partner Zhao Wantong, is now training under Luan Bo.
Oh wow, CFSA must be worried about losing ground on Pairs. I imagine she'll take time to produce them again, we'll have to wait until after Milan. But I hope they keep an eye on her training methods.

Makes me happy that we're going to see Chinese athletes again though! Would be a shame to lose them.

raruki

Nini is independent in the People’s Republic of China? So nobody in the national sports system looks at her? Coached by a mom?
Not entirely independent. In China, if you play tennis, football, basketball, or any other sport which are highly professional and commercial, you can be fully independent and do anything you want in your sport. But figure skating is not that highly professional and commercial, you still need to get enrolled in the state-run system and managed by the authority so that you can compete internationally. However, given the fact that many figure skaters in China nowadays are coming from rich and upper-middle-class families, they still get a pretty higher degree of autonomy and freedom in terms of their training methods and choreography compare to other sports. Still, if they want to compete internationally, they still have to obey and get enrolled in the system to some extent. For example, they will sign a contract with the local provincial teams in order to have a chance to be selected to compete internationally by the Fed and the state. But if they have finished all of duties listed on the contract, they can change to the other provincial teams as they wish.

raruki

Oh wow, CFSA must be worried about losing ground on Pairs. I imagine she'll take time to produce them again, we'll have to wait until after Milan. But I hope they keep an eye on her training methods.

Makes me happy that we're going to see Chinese athletes again though! Would be a shame to lose them.
Even though Luan Bo came back from retirement after the Olympics and most of her skaters except Wang Yihan and Zhao Wantong are still pretty young, some of her skaters are able to perform very difficult elements in their programs. There are 2 pairs in her team who can perform very difficult forward outside death spiral perfectly in their programs although they can only do the double jumps at this moment.

It would be interesting if the death spiral will become one of the strengths in Chinese pair skating in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information