CAS rules Valieva can compete - reactions/fallout, plus some details from the hearing

Theatregirl1122

Needs a nap
For instance, if he used a different finger than marked, a Canadian teacher would say, "oh, dear John, I see you have used a different finger that marked in the sheet. Of course I want you to have complete freedom to decide what finger to use. Do whatever feels comfortable to you. Just please consider that maybe this notation here is for a good reason, and when the tempo picks up, you may find yourself in difficulty because the finger you're using now won't be as comfortable. Would you like to try playing as written? Just to see. "

I've never actually heard an American teacher speak that way. I don't know about Canadian. Yes, we do email parents the way you're describing because a subset of American parents lose their mind if you send them an email that says "hey, junior is playing video games instead of coming to school" so teachers have developed ways to talk to parents. It's not the way we talk to kids.

Rob

Beach Bum
I've never actually heard an American teacher speak that way. I don't know about Canadian. Yes, we do email parents the way you're describing because a subset of American parents lose their mind if you send them an email that says "hey, junior is playing video games instead of coming to school" so teachers have developed ways to talk to parents. It's not the way we talk to kids.
Yes, that is exactly what my teacher friends say. They have to create an alternative message for the communication to the parents, not the kids.

jiejie

Was the CAS ruling just specific to the Olympics? Can the ISU refuse her participation in Worlds?

I can't believe CAS didn't limit the suspension of her suspension to just the period covered by the Olympics. There will be no "irreparable harm" from missing Worlds. It's not an every-four-year event.
My reading of the CAS decision was that it was very narrow, and limited to her participation at the Olympics. Since the ISU is the sponsoring body of Worlds, it would be up to them to suspend/ban Valieva (or the entire Russian Skating Federation) if they wished. Even if RUSADA refused to take any further action. Which of course the Russians would appeal to CAS. Under a different panel, they might or might not prevail again.

We will see. I'm sure the ISU is weighing their options and the chances of success that a Worlds suspension/ban would be upheld. If the Russian Fed had any sense, they would insist that Valieva sit out this Worlds.

Theatregirl1122

Needs a nap
My reading of the CAS decision was that it was very narrow, and limited to her participation at the Olympics. Since the ISU is the sponsoring body of Worlds, it would be up to them to suspend/ban Valieva (or the entire Russian Skating Federation) if they wished.

If the IOC, as the sponsoring body of the Olympics, didn't have the right to suspend Valieva from the Olympics, why would the ISU be able to suspend her from worlds?

Sylvia

TBD
Next step(s):

“RUSADA now needs to determine what, if any, sanctions will be imposed on Valieva as the initial suspension was only provisional. If sanctions are imposed, WADA must decide whether or not to appeal the decision, with any appeal being heard by CAS.”

ETA - “Regular” CAS, not the Ad Hoc division panel that was convened in Beijing:
THE CAS AD HOC DIVISION PUBLISHES THE ARBITRAL AWARD ISSUED IN THE ARBITRATION PROCEDURES RELATING TO FIGURE SKATER KAMILA VALIEVA (Feb. 17, 2022)

Full decision of CAS OG 22/08 IOC v. RUSADA / CAS OG 22/09 WADA v. RUSADA & Kamila Valieva / CAS OG 22/10 ISU v. RUSADA, Kamila Valieva & ROC (41 pages): https://www.tas-cas.org/fileadmin/user_upload/OG_22_08-09-10_Arbitral_Award__publication_.pdf

Last edited:

jiejie

If the IOC, as the sponsoring body of the Olympics, didn't have the right to suspend Valieva from the Olympics, why would the ISU be able to suspend her from worlds?
The CAS ruling explicitly covered her Olympic participation only, because of the tight time factor. I saw nothing in their explanation that would prevent the ISU from imposing other consequences on a skater or federation. Whether the ISU has the stones to tangle with Russia, and the willingness to fight another battle at the CAS level, is the question. Past actions suggest the ISU does not have the intestinal or ethical fortitude to do so.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
Is it even possible for the ISU to do anything or challenge her participation at Worlds until the official competitor lists are turned in by each federation? Until and unless the RFSF submits Valieva as an entry or an alternate, the ISU has nothing it can take to CAS, right?

skatingguy

decently
Is it even possible for the ISU to do anything or challenge her participation at Worlds until the official competitor lists are turned in by each federation? Until and unless the RFSF submits Valieva as an entry or an alternate, the ISU has nothing it can take to CAS, right?
That's probably the next step. Assuming that Valieva is on the entry list I would assume that the ISU would bring another appeal to the CAS.

giselle23

The CAS ruling explicitly covered her Olympic participation only, because of the tight time factor. I saw nothing in their explanation that would prevent the ISU from imposing other consequences on a skater or federation. Whether the ISU has the stones to tangle with Russia, and the willingness to fight another battle at the CAS level, is the question. Past actions suggest the ISU does not have the intestinal or ethical fortitude to do so.
The time factor wasn't the only issue. The CAS also found that the rules regarding provisional suspension were different for protected persons. That ruling is equally applicable to competitions besides the Olympics.

Theatregirl1122

Needs a nap

The reason that the ISU, IOC, and WADA had to go before CAS in the first place is because IOC had no jurisdiction to impose a provisional suspension for a positive test at Russian Nationals. Why would the ISU at worlds?

Just because the CAS ruling didn’t cover worlds doesn’t mean the ISU is suddenly allowed to suspend her.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
“Russia” or Russians? Because “Russia” is not here because of actions of government employees! No one has proved government employees or Putin had anything to do with this! Yet! Many people support banning all Russian citizens from Olympics for 10 years! That would have been great. But pretty much every sports organization opposes banning all Russian citizens as something that could end lots of sports in Russia and damage clean athletes! But maybe it is time for that. No russian citizen in any sport anywhere for 10 years. Nothing -except in Russia of course
Aren't Russians already banned (over doping, I believe) The Russian ban is why we have the ROC. I believe the Russian Flag is not present at the Olys.
The ISU cited the Ukraine situation as a reason for not making a decision yet on 2022 Jr Worlds (halfway down this communication…”Season 21/22 ISU Championships”):

HUH? That is odd.

sk9tingfan

Will there be travel issues due to the war between Russia and Ukraine?
Phil Hersh just tweeted about the crud having a further impact on ISU activities but not yet on traveling to and from events. I guess it is just a wait and see. But he did comment in another tweet about how silly we were to think that WW3 would start in the Middle East. I replied that with respect to either region, it's still about the oil.

Frau Muller

Aren't Russians already banned (over doping, I believe) The Russian ban is why we have the ROC. I believe the Russian Flag is not present at the Olys.

HUH? That is odd.

Perhaps the ISU was poised to announce Belarus as the new Jr Wds host? That would be seen as a political no-no…close ally of Russia. Or Estonia? That one not so controversial but too close for comfort?

skatfan

Why is this a US/Rus thing? A Russian won the ladies, an American won the men. They both did quads. Why is this a poor reflection on the US because none of their women does quads?
Really no women outside of Eteri's camp are landing quads in competition these days. It's basically Eteri's camp versus the rest of the world.

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
This is all so confusing. I would think if a skater is banned, then she is banned.
Perhaps the ISU was poised to announce Belarus as the new Jr Wds host? That would be seen as a political no-no…close ally of Russia. Or Estonia? That one not so controversial but too close for comfort?
Or, maybe Petaluma, Cal. We have a full-size rink nearby....It is The Snoopy Rink.

Here are Scott Hamilton's remarks. IMO Scott is one of the most stand-up voice in all things Figure Skating.

Frau Muller

Or, maybe Petaluma, Cal. We have a full-size rink nearby....It is The Snoopy Rink.

What does Petaluma have to do with the conflict in Ukraine (and, thus, a connection to the ISU deciding to delay naming a new Jr Wds host)? Read the latest ISU communication. They’re delaying naming the new Jr Worlds host and dates due to the “Ukraine situation.”

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information