Adverse Analytical Finding for Spain's Laura Barquero after Olympics Pairs SP

Mayra

Thank you.

So 18 months would likely be the minimum amount of suspension time in Laura's case as well?
Depends on the degree of fault that her lawyers can establish on her behalf. Johaug initially argued a No Fault or Negligence and that was nixed by CAS. They did find No Significant Fault or Negligence and had received a 13 month suspension but the International Ski Federation actually appealed that ruling and the suspension was then increased to 18 months.

This with the doctor testifying on her behalf as having given Johaug the cream, and having missed the ingredient in question on the label.

The standard suspension for a first-time doping offense, according to WADA, is four years. CAS set Johaug’s suspension at 18 months due to “non-significant fault” by the athlete. The CAS panel of three arbiters agreed unanimously that Johaug must be suspended between 12 and 24 months, consistent with the type of fault, and also agreed that 18 months – the middle of that range – was the most appropriate length for a ban in this case.

Last edited:

MacMadame

Doing all the things
Depends on the degree of fault that her lawyers can establish on her behalf. Johaug initially argued a No Fault or Negligence and that was nixed by CAS. They did find No Significant Fault or Negligence and had received a 13 month suspension but the International Ski Federation actually appealed that ruling and the suspension was then increased to 18 months.

This with the doctor testifying on her behalf as having given Johaug the cream, and having missed the ingredient in question on the label.

Then Barquero's screwed, it looks like.

Elka

Someone in one of these threads about the matter (There are so many of them that I cannot find it at the moment) linked a summary about doping history in figure skating. There was a quote regarding Sochi which made me think about Bukin, though he was not mentioned related to that case.

ETA: OT, but Anne Holt's books usually are very good and interesting. Have to find that one.
I have to add that although the quote made me think about Bukin, it of course was not possible. As I was reminded, Bukin did not compete in Sochi.
I found the summary and this: "Several Russian figure skaters who competed at the 2014 Winter Olympic Games in Sochi were under investigation at one point as part of The McLaren Report, which was commissioned by the World Anti-Doping Agency. One sample from a male skater was referenced where the DNA didn't even match other samples previously provided at the Games!" made me think about Bukin. Like a case where the Russian officials changing the samples might have been messing up with something.

Now of course I started :unsure: who might that male skater in Sochi have been.

A History Of Doping In Figure Skating

Hedwig

Antique member
where there ever any news about Laura Barquero? Will she be able to compete again soon?

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
where there ever any news about Laura Barquero? Will she be able to compete again soon?
I haven't seen anything mentioned on her IG. Looks like she and Zandron are still training in Italy.

Hedwig

Antique member
I haven't seen anything mentioned on her IG. Looks like she and Zandron are still training in Italy.
that is good that they are still training. Everything she posted stopped in February/March, so I was worried.

Is there a time reference about how long this kind of offence is usually punished? Are we looking at years or is it very probable to see them again this or next season?

Karen-W

that is good that they are still training. Everything she posted stopped in February/March, so I was worried.

Is there a time reference about how long this kind of offence is usually punished? Are we looking at years or is it very probable to see them again this or next season?
I think there was some discussion earlier in this thread, when the finding was first reported, that the minimum she could likely expect was a 1 year ban, so they might be eligible for Worlds. Definitely not Euros since Pairs was the last event at the Olympics and that's where the violation occurred.

Trillian

She has updated her Instagram stories (the posts that disappear after 24 hours) once in a while. I don’t think I’ve seen any on-ice content, but there have been some references to off-ice training, and Zandron is definitely still in the picture.

It would be nice to have an “official” update on her case. It’s such an unfortunate situation.

Hedwig

Antique member
well there are reasons for that. Most of all that she did compete under the flag of a country and not under a name given to something that could not compete under the name of it's country because there is systematic doping in that country.

And her story is much more plausible than grandpa's juice where for Valieva it not only sounds like the stupidest lie ever but also explains so much what people were wondering before. It is not as simplisistic as you make it sound ;-)

her grace

Team Guignard/Fabbri
She tested positive for quite a serious substance.

I find it interesting that this situation is viewed with a large dose of sympathy whereas is she was Russian….:COP:
She’s actually being punished.

Bukin and Stolbova also received sympathy when they were banned.

There’s not going to be a lot of sympathy for people who cheat and still get to compete, e.g., Valieva.

Trillian

There’s not going to be a lot of sympathy for people who cheat and still get to compete, e.g., Valieva.

I do have sympathy for Valieva. She’s a kid and what she went through in Beijing was undoubtedly traumatic. I’d just like to see her abusive coaches held accountable, and her federation face consequences for years of cheating and deliberate institutional enabling and encouragement of abuse. The purpose of handing down consequences in this case isn’t to punish Valieva, it’s to deter future abuse of other kids and provide other athletes a more fair and healthy competitive environment.

I do think Barquero’s situation should be fully investigated and there should be appropriate penalties. But if there is any indication that Barquero’s positive test involved intentional cheating or systemic child abuse, nobody has reported on that. I haven’t seen anyone dispute the official explanation, which was that it was a stupid mistake.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
well there are reasons for that. Most of all that she did compete under the flag of a country and not under a name given to something that could not compete under the name of it's country because there is systematic doping in that country.

And her story is much more plausible than grandpa's juice where for Valieva it not only sounds like the stupidest lie ever but also explains so much what people were wondering before. It is not as simplisistic as you make it sound ;-)

WERK!!

well said.

Sylvia

TBD
Laura's sad post (no news) 8 months later: https://www.instagram.com/p/Cq5_V-JtBLO/

Machine translation:
Trying to stay strong, thinking about all the good things I have in this life.
I have better days and worse days but that pain is always there and it doesn't go away.
I couldn't say goodbye to that feeling, that feeling I miss so much, the cold wind on my face, to feel the movements flowing, to close my eyes and end up with a huge smile on my face.
I've been washed away by a hurricane and I'm still spinning.
Marco, my family, my friends, are always there, helping and supporting me, suffering and living this nightmare just like me. Everyone tells me: you can take advantage of doing other things, to have a different life, of a "normal person"... but they don't understand that since I was little I learned to fly on ice better than to walk, that ice is my home and as much as I want I can't part with it.
Anyone who knows me knows that I'm a fighter, that nothing and no one will be able to cut these wings.
LBJ🦋

:(

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
I think the most important lines in that article are these:

….tested positive for traces of clostebol metabolites claimed that he was contaminated as a result of sexual intercourse with a woman taking a medication containing clostebol. ….

An even better excuse than Grandpa’s meds cup!

Sylvia

TBD
Marco Zandron's machine translated (from Italian) comment to Laura:

Ever since we met, you've always talked to me about the butterfly telling me that it's an animal that represents you, but never before have I seen how true it is. We have spent many years of sacrifices, pain, dedication for this sport that we love so much. We put everything aside and focused on our one big priority which was skating. Well after so much effort it finally seemed to have made it, we were finally together and finally we had turned into butterflies reaching our biggest dream since we were children, the Olympics. Unfortunately, however, we are well aware that butterflies are short-lived, all the experiences of a lifetime are enclosed in a few days, in our case in a few months. Now it's dark, so dark, strong emotions, but ones I wouldn't wish on anyone. So much pain and so much suffering, thinking about the future is complicated and the sense of uncertainty that marks our every day makes us feel strong. Now is the time to transform ourselves again, this time into phoenixes, because I'm sure that every obstacle, however insurmountable it may seem, can be overcome step by step. We will do this and this post is one of the many steps that will get us back to the top.

:respec:

Andrea82

I wonder if someone is appealing. Because the CAS document is from September 2022 and B/Z are not showing up in entry lists so far this season.

Last edited:

Hedwig

Antique member
ah, I just found this:

so it seems like it was indeed only published today and yes, she is now able to skate again.

Sylvia

TBD
I wonder if someone is appealing. Because the CAS document is from September 2022 and B/Z are not showing up in entry lists so far this season.
I just searched the CAS/TAS website and can't find this document dated 6 September 2022?

ETA - putting "CAS 2022/ADD/48" into the search box at https://jurisprudence.tas-cas.org/Help/Home.aspx brought up the document @Andrea82 posted as well as this document dated 10 August 2022: https://jurisprudence.tas-cas.org/Shared Documents/ADD 48-PA.pdf#search=CAS 2022/ADD/48

Last edited:

Hedwig

Antique member
Maybe I misinterpreted what "consent award of 6 September 2022" at the top means
I don’t understand either. But in the end the only thing that matters is that the case is now closed 😀

Would they be able to still get on the GP if someone drops out? Are they still high enough in world ranking?

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
Would they be able to still get on the GP if someone drops out? Are they still high enough in world ranking?
World Standings ranking is only applicable for the initial selection. World Ranking was only applicable for money the ISU no longer gives, and some Feds use it for domestic rankings.

If they won a CS event, they could go to the bottom of the alternates list, which, for Pairs, can sometimes mean getting an invite. I haven't looked to see what all of the CS deadlines are, but it's getting late, and they're not any rosters so far.

Karen-W

I'd say, yes, because nothing has changed on her own social media or the Spanish fed's. If this were well and truly closed/resolved, we would know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information