CAS rules Valieva can compete - reactions/fallout, plus some details from the hearing

kittyjake5

Japan breaks it silence. JiJi.com article quoting Shin Asakawa, Managing Director of Japan's Anti-Doping Agency.
It is in Japanese but google translates works well.

caseyedwards

Chatting to friends who know nothing about skating last night. They all knew about it.

So will this be the end of Russia being able to compete in the Olympics in future?
“Russia” or Russians? Because “Russia” is not here because of actions of government employees! No one has proved government employees or Putin had anything to do with this! Yet! Many people support banning all Russian citizens from Olympics for 10 years! That would have been great. But pretty much every sports organization opposes banning all Russian citizens as something that could end lots of sports in Russia and damage clean athletes! But maybe it is time for that. No russian citizen in any sport anywhere for 10 years. Nothing -except in Russia of course

MacMadame

Doing all the things
Japan breaks it silence. JiJi.com article quoting Shin Asakawa, Managing Director of Japan's Anti-Doping Agency.
It is in Japanese but google translates works well.

Two important excerpts (Google Translate)

Shin Asakawa, managing director of Japan Anti-Doping Agency (JADA), responded to the interview. He criticized the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS)'s decision to continue participating in the Beijing Olympics as "a decision that overturns the premise of sports as a whole."

Mr. Asakawa said that the possible impact of this case in the future is, "It is an anti-doping system that it can be seen whether a young child is allowed even if it violates it, or if some circumstances are established. It's a huge minus. This CAS ruling is a serious threat. " Regarding Russia, he said, "whether to handle anti-doping cases or have the ability to enforce the rules" could be an issue on the WADA side.

It seems like the JOC agrees with the rest of us that this is a bad decision and sets a bad precedent.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
Speaking of sore losers, this aged poorly.
LOL - she's the happiest sore loser I've ever seen per her IG live earlier tonight when she was beaming and eating dumplings after the FS.

Meanwhile, over at Sambo-70... Perhaps some water would be in order for all those poor, dehydrated girls. Tears'll do that to a person...

Vagabond

Anita18

It depends!
LOL - she's the happiest sore loser I've ever seen per her IG live earlier tonight when she was beaming and eating dumplings after the FS.

Meanwhile, over at Sambo-70... Perhaps some water would be in order for all those poor, dehydrated girls. Tears'll do that to a person...
After seeing the dangerously thin Russian girls (who only get 2 shrimp for dinner and don't get to drink water), I was over the MOON to see Alysa being what she is — an excitable 16yo who's happy to eat dumplings and get 3 ice creams.

I imagine her dad feels sore as a parent, being too afraid to give Alysa cold medicine when she was miserably sick at nationals when she was 12. And there's the Russians, just doping up their kids without fear of punishment. I'd be pissed about that.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
Weaver says Eteri will be under investigation. But who will be the ones investigating? The IOC and the ISU are completely gutless when it comes to the Russians.
I thought it was WADA. They are only going to investigate how KV got the drug into her though. I don't think anyone is planning to investigate the setup at Sambo-70 beyond that. You know ROC and RSFS aren't going to.

Rafter

I am curious about the parents of these teenage girls in Eteri’s camp. They have got to know what’s happening regarding the doping and food/water restriction and how these girls are being treated so badly by Eteri in general. It’s interesting that they must go along with it or they’d have pulled these girls from this training site. Which makes them complicit in it all as well.

Or maybe it’s a cultural thing and the desire for fame and fortune outweighs their parental instinct to protect their children.

caseyedwards

I am curious about the parents of these teenage girls in Eteri’s camp. They have got to know what’s happening regarding the doping and food/water restriction and how these girls are being treated so badly by Eteri in general. It’s interesting that they must go along with it or they’d have pulled these girls from this training site. Which makes them complicit in it all as well.

Or maybe it’s a cultural thing and the desire for fame and fortune outweighs their parental instinct to protect their children.
The mentality is you don’t create champions by coddling and babying

I mean Plushenko had no natural ability to beilman! They pulled his leg! Forced it!

MacMadame

Doing all the things
I do think it's a cultural thing but I think it's a culture that accepts suffering as a way of life more than having stars in their eyes. They aren't the only ones either. Lots of people think the training environment should be tough and no-nonsense as that's how you motivate people to be their best. (I am not one of them, to make that clear.)

Meoima

I don't know about other parents. I only heard that Trusova's parents were quite... ehm... zealous with Eteri. And that in a test skate 2 years ago (maybe 3, I don't know), her mother was so enthusiastic while listening to Daniil something along the line: "this quad and that quad and that quad"... so...

Rafter

Who is going to pay for the damage they have done to Kamila's mental health? What if she needs therapy for life? Why the hell did they let her compete and let her be damaged even more. And I do not know about her body condition. This is just...

Her mother/parents? Eteri? Russian Fed? ROC?

Ultimately Valieva’s parents are responsible for her physical and emotional well-being. They chose to put her in Eteri’s care and must be either extremely naive or are turning a blind-eye to it. Perhaps too ambitious for their (her) own good.

becca

I am sure different culture at play and I do feel in some ways western culture is a bit soft it is what it is.

There is a balance I think.

I do think Kami needs more support

And well I am sure that involved skating parents is a thing in skating no matter what country.

Don’t think Eteri wouldn’t lionized if she was coaching in the US.

As for Kami it was mama and grandpa who provided the grandpa excuse

Meoima

Her mother/parents? Eteri? Russian Fed? ROC?

Ultimately Valieva’s parents are responsible for her physical and emotional well-being. They chose to put her in Eteri’s care and must be either extremely naive or are turning a blind-eye to it. Perhaps too ambitious for their (her) own good.
Eteri and Russian fed? Aren't they throwing her under the bus to protect their whole system?

Kamila says in the Kiss and Cry: "At least they won't cancel the ceremony now."
I can't imagine how she can regain her confidence after this. Someone send her to a therapist.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
From other articles that have been linked here, the chance for their daughter to have a better life (especially for parents who are not financially well off) is what ultimately leads some parents to hand their girls over to Eteri. The parents are not heartless monsters who dump the child on the doorstep and drive away without a second thought.

Whether the parents knew about the doping or not, I'm sure they are having a horrible time this week as well. Let's lay off the criticism of their parenting.

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter
This is as a big a scandal as the US gymnastics in terms of women's sport. You know it is a big issue when it covers on panel shows on Australian TV.

I don't care if I never see another quad in women's skating. I would much rather see skaters who are happy competing and doing it for themselves. And have a longevity in the sport because they love it.

Bigbird

I am curious about the parents of these teenage girls in Eteri’s camp.

This.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
This is as a big a scandal as the US gymnastics in terms of women's sport. You know it is a big issue when it covers on panel shows on Australian TV.
Really? Nassar abused hundreds of athletes while everyone in charge turned a blind eye. This hardly compares IMO.

Don’t think Eteri wouldn’t lionized if she was coaching in the US.
You mean like Dalilah Sappenfield? She may be persona non grata now but she also won coaching awards and was lionized.

Bigbird

Eteri and Russian fed? Aren't they throwing her under the bus to protect their whole system?

Kamila says in the Kiss and Cry: "At least they won't cancel the ceremony now."
I can't imagine how she can regain her confidence after this. Someone send her to a therapist.
They abused this small child and many others before. Those who break are considered weak and sometimes they are crucified by those considered strong which in my estimation are just desperate. She needs a new training environment.

Meoima

They abused this small child and many others before. Those who break are considered weak and sometimes they are crucified by those considered strong which in my estimation are just desperate. She needs a new training environment.
Bold of you to assume Kamila will compete again after all of this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information