Canadian Pairs 2018/2019 Season News and Updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canadask8er

I was at that 1998 Canadians and Jamie Sale won the audience the night of the short program (even with the severely under-rotated triple flip). Her content actually matched Keyla Ohs who also had a botched triple flip combo and a wonky triple toe for her solo jump. The audience boo'd Jamie's marks if I recall correctly. I remember reading in "The Second Mark" she often felt pressure skating singles and felt quite lonely and felt/heard people were saying "why is she still skating?" I also heard through the grapevine that at that year's Challenge (then called Divisionals) Jamie had a fairly competitive repertoire of triple jumps and was landing them quite consistently. Ah the memories!

puglover

I saw Jamie at Sask Skate - not sure exactly the year but just before she partnered with David. She skated singles and placed above a skater from our rink who had arguably greater technical content. The mother of the skater from our rink just about had a coronary and cried foul very loudly. I admit to understanding why Jamie scored what she did. She made me want to watch her

starrynight

They were such a great personality match. When I saw S/B in their first year in junior I thought what in the fresh h*ll is this and didn't see this going anywhere past juniors. They should be proud of their accomplishments.

I'm not here to say precisely why they broke up -- because I can't -- but I can say with some grounding that Julianne could have helped her cause with a higher level of fitness notwithstanding concussion issues. Charlie's abilities over their last two seasons together made many things look easier than they were.

Meagan has said publicly that this is where she was brought in to help. She thought she was the right person for the job because in her view they had similar body types so she could lead her down a safe and realistic path to optimal fitness. Never got that far.

So I'm a bit hesitant to go down the path of giving Charlie a hard ride. We also don't know what's happening with his alleged new partner. If it's Lubov it's conceivable they had a tryout and it went great and said it's a match, so let's put plans in place. Charlie's mistake to me was mentioning at that moment he found someone. They might have subsequently hit snags in logistics and other operational matters causing them to pause a little. Who knows? Point is, it's not necessarily Charlie messing everything up, so I wouldn't go directly to that place.

I think with pairs/ice dance part of the struggle too is to get someone who is totally on the same page as you in respect of motivation, goals etc.

This is a wild segue, but for example, in ice dance I think a good example of that is Weaver/Poje. I think a vast quantity of what they have achieved comes down more to having shared goals, focus, determination etc than necessarily just having raw talent. You can see this in teams that steadily get better and better rather than starting out big and declining.

Although I wonder if getting Meagan in to help would have been a bit like getting in Aljona Savchenko (i.e. being hit by a tsunami). I read Meagan's blog on health and fitness and literally she is constantly moving and then is at home baking her own bread to ensure that she knows every ingredient in it. Although I do find myself reading Meagan's blog and wishing I could be like that!! (Although I suppose I could be in the kitchen now raising dough instead of drinking coffee and typing on my laptop, but you know, I'm lazy lol).

Mad for Skating

I can’t reveal my source but I was told today that it is definitely Lubov. You can take that or leave it but I’m told that the decision was only made 2 days ago.

I know some people won’t believe anything without the source being known, but I can’t help that. I don’t bet, but if I did, I’d put money on this.

Personal speculation- I wonder how long this will last.

Oh my god. Okay. I’m gonna go scream for a while. I never thought a miracle like this could happen.

LUBOV! 😭

Mad for Skating

No, I want Seguin and Bilodeau to reconcile... they really were so promising......

I agree that they had a lot of potential, and frankly I think he’s making a mistake by leaving Julianne. But if he is going to change partners, Lubov is a great choice.

puglover

Well, I guess the whole thing makes more sense if it is Lubov. I thought there was some pretty spectacular pairs skating over the weekend and that is without the Chinese. It seems every element needs to earn substantial GOE - not just squeak it out, to be in contention at all. I have no doubt Lubov has lots of qualities to her skating that can earn those pluses.

shutterbug

Update from Julianne: https://ici.radio-canada.ca/sports/...deau-separation-olympiques-pyeongchang-podium
Excerpt via Google translate:
"I started training again a few weeks ago, mostly at the 4 ice creams in Brossard. It's a neutral place and I feel good about it. There are not really any international skaters, but seeing young skaters help me keep the flame.

I had contact with some skaters, but I told them I was not ready. My goal is to start testing in January, but I give myself until March to be the best version of myself. I will then be able to make decisions.

Although I am in an exceptional form, even though I am an Olympic athlete, I have no guarantee. Skaters the caliber of Charlie, it does not run the streets. I see some potential candidates in the country for now. Nothing more.

I know that I have not reached my full potential. As I am a very competitive girl, I want to prove to myself that I was able to be better. That's my main source of motivation.

The goal remains the same. I am ready to go further, to qualify for the Beijing Olympics.

Am I going to get there? The future will tell.

At least I will have tried everything."
Very pleased to hear her health is improving and she's considering returning for 2022. :)

Zazy

That was a great read from Julianne, and I'm glad she's feeling better.

But I didn't know she had 3 concussions in a few months, had concussion symptoms that lasted 11 months (until December 2017), and skated at COR despite being extremely dizzy with blurred vision. That's disturbing, her health is more important than the Olympics. At this point I'm wondering if she should even be skating pairs at all. What happens if she gets another concussion?

dramagrrl

The level of hurt and confusion that Julianne is still feeling over the split is palpable in that article. :( I know there are two sides of the story and it sounds like she is trying her best to be fair, but again, some of the things she says do not put Charlie in the best light, to say the least.

starrynight

My impression of the article is that Julianne had serious health problems (competing at Cup of Russia with vision so blurred she could barely read??!!) and this caused lots of troubles with them being capable of training to the maximum.

It sounds like Charlie decided that he was not willing to wait around while Julianne's health issues were dealt with. And I suppose from his perspective, another flare up of concussion symptoms could have stopped the partnership anyway. I think he most likely wanted to start again with a healthy partner. While that isn't a fairy tale story, I can understand his perspective from a business point of view.

I think it's probably for the best that Julianne will have a long break from pairs skating to allow herself time to heal. Given the severity of her symptoms, I think that it is for the best she was not competing on the grand prix circuit anyway.

I hope that this time to recuperate does Julianne good and she can start again with a clean slate and a partner who does not consider her to be holding him back.

Given the period of time that Julianne and Charlie are both sitting out regardless, it's a shame they could not, perhaps, have made an agreement to take a season off for Julianne to recover and started again in 2019. It seems Charlie was not prepared to take such a risk. But again, while it's not a fairy tale story, I do understand where he was coming from.

Tinami Amori

Given the period of time that Julianne and Charlie are both sitting out regardless, it's a shame they could not, perhaps, have made an agreement to take a season off for Julianne to recover and started again in 2019. It seems Charlie was not prepared to take such a risk. But again, while it's not a fairy tale story, I do understand where he was coming from.

Exactly! (imo) In pairs/dance, very often when a man acts "shrewd" he is seen as a "villain" and woman as a "victim"; when women act "shrewd" they are cheered and supported. Would be interesting to see if J and C end up with new partners and compete against each other, then maybe we'll know who made the right choice.

my little pony

polishing Madison Hubbell's OGM
I wouldn't want to skate with someone who had this many concussions and ongoing symptoms. even if they took a season off, even if her symptoms go away, the next fall could cause permanent damage or worse. that's a lot of responsibility for the partner. how could you feel confident adding harder lifts and throws? there is no way she will never fall again if she continues to skate. everyone commented on how stricken Timothy looked when Ashley fell. I dont understand why people think Charlie was wrong to end this partnership. I assume he was thinking of his future success but I would assume he was also not comfortable with the potential for Julianne to have permanent damage.

dramagrrl

I dont understand why people think Charlie was wrong to end this partnership. I assume he was thinking of his future success but I would assume he was also not comfortable with the potential for Julianne to have permanent damage.
It isn’t so much that his choice to end the partnership was wrong, but how he chose to do it.

Also, he didn’t seem to have a problem pushing to get to the Olympics when her symptoms were much worse. (I know that was also her choice, but I’m just saying that if he suddenly developed great concern for her long-term well being, the timing was certainly convenient for him.)

starrynight

I do wonder if the reason no explanation is being provided for the split is because they don't want to put undue focus on Julianne's health struggles - lest that cause her issues repartnering in the future.

Is there any easy way to do this? I don't know. I read that Eric Radford had to try out in secret with Meagan Duhamel at midnight.

Rock2

I think with pairs/ice dance part of the struggle too is to get someone who is totally on the same page as you in respect of motivation, goals etc.

This is a wild segue, but for example, in ice dance I think a good example of that is Weaver/Poje. I think a vast quantity of what they have achieved comes down more to having shared goals, focus, determination etc than necessarily just having raw talent. You can see this in teams that steadily get better and better rather than starting out big and declining.

Although I wonder if getting Meagan in to help would have been a bit like getting in Aljona Savchenko (i.e. being hit by a tsunami). I read Meagan's blog on health and fitness and literally she is constantly moving and then is at home baking her own bread to ensure that she knows every ingredient in it. Although I do find myself reading Meagan's blog and wishing I could be like that!! (Although I suppose I could be in the kitchen now raising dough instead of drinking coffee and typing on my laptop, but you know, I'm lazy lol).

Aside from W/P the best example about aligned goals is Underhill/Martini. Barb always said, 'you don't even have to be friends (or like each other, code for 'I never did think much of Paul', which is apparently the case) in order to succeed, you just need common goals and ways of working.

The more modern example is Tessa and Scott. They are two vastly different people off the ice such that there's no way they'd even be friends if skating didn't unite them. They have all but admitted that their 'chemistry' is manufactured. They were just a great match as athletes.

Point taken on Meagan/Aljona analogy. I could see that being the case.

Rock2

The level of hurt and confusion that Julianne is still feeling over the split is palpable in that article. :( I know there are two sides of the story and it sounds like she is trying her best to be fair, but again, some of the things she says do not put Charlie in the best light, to say the least.

Totally. I see it this way:

I think it's safe to say there was bad communication on this team which is really sad. If you boil it down, given how long they've been together I think it's on Charlie to fire a clear (and I mean clear) warning shot over the bow that you're feeling unsure about the future of this team and that you'd like to see where they are after the next X months of training. Pick a time and then assess where you are. Set goals for that period. If you're not improving, make a decision.

Sure that creates even more stress for those months but it's at least being transparent so that when you part ways there's no surprise.

Many people find those types of conversations tough so they don't have them (or they think they had them but they softened the message too much it was lost). While they can be hurtful they can similarly be productive by changing the trajectory you are currently on. A little splash in the face with cold water can be a good thing.

So glad to see the fires starting to burn in her. Her career shouldn't end this way, so I'm glad to see she's training and has a view to finding a partner in the spring. I still say Deschamps first and Boudreau-Audet second, even if they are currently taken.

mademoisellebug

I don't think they would be coached by Picard though. She's been coaching Julianne since she was a child, and she said she would retire when Julianne stops skating. If she continues with a new partner, Picard would probably opt to coach them instead. And maybe a coaching change was what Charlie wanted and one of the reason behind the split (I'm just speculating here, I know nothing).

Bilodeau is training with Bruno Marcotte right now

puglover

In the book by Meagan and Eric they discuss a very challenging time in their partnership with Eric dealing with severe back injuries, leaving Richard G. and Eric having what he calls "a nervous breakdown" which he attributes to all of the pain and lack of control. He talks about going to the rink, skating, and not talking to anyone. He talks about Meagan always being very clear about "Why am I doing this?" and said she has never had a day when she didn't feel motivated to be at the rink, even during the very hard moments. For him, it had become a job. He credits lots of things - family, friends, counseling, putting one foot in front of the other - but also mentions Julie's choice of "With or Without You" as helping get he and Meagan back on he same page. Part of what surprised me about this was the fact it was quite recent and after they had had lots of success.

I recall Tessa and Scott met regularly with their early coaches, I think in the Paul McIntosh days, to discuss the relationship and, supposedly, to air grievances and find solutions. They talk about meeting with their Gadbois team, also, to discuss things and express how they were feeling. I am not saying this would have helped with Julianne and Charlie but after the Olympics and Worlds, it would seem the appropriate time for both to reevaluate.

chantilly

Perhaps one could argue that Charlie may have jumped the gun ending the partnership. But given the details of Julianne’s unfortunate issues with her health, I honestly really can’t blame him for thinking it was time to leave.

I think it’s fair to say he should have given it one more season, especially with the post Olympic pairs slump, but hindsight is 20/20.

Unfortunately for him, IMO julianne is still the best candidate left for a partner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information