Canadian Pairs 2018/2019 Season News and Updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

dramagrrl

I don't necessarily agree that S/B's charm doesn't come through via TV, since I fell in love with them before I ever saw them skate live... but I do agree that the full extent of their togetherness and magic is best seen when you see them skate well live.

I think in a lot of ways the things they do best are the things that were rewarded more in "old school" pairs skating. People want "new school" pairs to be flashier and bigger and more showy, while S/B's best qualities are in how well they relate to each other as a pair, how smooth and together they clearly are when you see them skate live, and that overall "pairs-y" quality that many of the flashier teams lack. When they are on, their love for the sport and joy in skating with each other is so obvious that I have a hard time understanding (personally) how anyone can find them bland.

I also think (my personal opinion, of course) that none of their choreography since they first came onto the junior scene has been bland at all. Julie Marcotte's choreography, for example, is much, much more bland for the most part, IMO. The only program of S/B's I would say might fall under the "white bread/bland" category for me was their LP from 2016-17, and for me, even that was elevated beyond blandness when they skated it really well.

Andora

Skating season ends as baseball season begins
I've never seen S&B skate live, but I have been quite a fan on and off over the years. When they have good programs, what's great about them comes across: connection, transitions, skating skills, etc. The problem is, I don't think they've had great material all that often. I liked Whiter Shade Of Pale, this year's programs, and... really, that's it. I feel like everything else has been a let down, or in some cases (2017 SP) a full step back.

I also agree with commentary from David Pelletier: he said he wants to see more impact and stretch in lifts/pair moves from them. For me, that means Julianne. She can't exactly make her limbs grow, but if she's not 100%, I don't know how to explain it, but it doesn't help their line/carriage/etc.

But I still think they're capable of more than what we've seen - just like MT&M. If injuries could just stay at bay for once...

Rock2

I've never seen S&B skate live, but I have been quite a fan on and off over the years. When they have good programs, what's great about them comes across: connection, transitions, skating skills, etc. The problem is, I don't think they've had great material all that often. I liked Whiter Shade Of Pale, this year's programs, and... really, that's it. I feel like everything else has been a let down, or in some cases (2017 SP) a full step back.

I also agree with commentary from David Pelletier: he said he wants to see more impact and stretch in lifts/pair moves from them. For me, that means Julianne. She can't exactly make her limbs grow, but if she's not 100%, I don't know how to explain it, but it doesn't help their line/carriage/etc.

But I still think they're capable of more than what we've seen - just like MT&M. If injuries could just stay at bay for once...

Agree with all of this although I will say that their programs this past year were good choices although somehow I don't think they ever got to take them to their full potential.

I think Julianne's concussion issues have prevented her from training to her max. Several years ago I saw a pic of her and Charlie posted on social media on the beach. She was in a bikini and looked super fit. She hasn't looked like that the past 2 years.

I think with Duhamel's involvement with the team, she will get a great nutrition and off ice plan to find a healthy, lean physique again that will lengthen her lines. Meg is the perfect person to help here given her background and given they have similar body types as she has pointed out publicly.

If they have a good summer of training I think we'll see a step up in their look and energy this fall. I want both them and MT/M gunning for top 5 at world's this year.

honey

The things that make me enjoy S/B is their chemistry (never feels forced, very natural for them) and their “pair-ness” that many other teams do not have. I agree with whoever said they’re a bit of a throw back in that regard.

However, they don’t really have any wow elements. The throw loop landed on the cresendo of the music is as close as they get. Everything is adequate, but not spectacular yet. I think they can up their speed and work on height of the throws and that would help.

And 100% she needs to improve her extension on the lifts. Charlie is a great lifter and the lifts are solid, but not spectacular because of her air position. If Meagan Duhamel could improve her air positions over time, so can Julianne. I have no doubt these are all things they know though and I’m sure Meagan will try her darndest to impart her methods on Juliane ;)

Fingers crossed that they get/stay healthy because they’ve got great qualities that can’t be taught. Add the improvements to the rest and they could really challenge.

clairecloutier

And 100% she needs to improve her extension on the lifts. Charlie is a great lifter and the lifts are solid, but not spectacular because of her air position. If Meagan Duhamel could improve her air positions over time, so can Julianne. I have no doubt these are all things they know though and I’m sure Meagan will try her darndest to impart her methods on Juliane ;)

Based on her TSL comments, I think Meagan has a perfect sense of where Julianne/Charlie need to improve. Over the last year or so, I was getting frustrated with the continued lack of attention on S/B's part to proper line and extension; it was one thing for it to be an issue in juniors or their first year in seniors, but disappointing to see no improvement by their second or third year in seniors. But, now with Meagan involved, I feel hopeful we'll see progress in their line and overall packaging this year.

aftershocks

Banned Member
I really, really want to like S/B - i do! But I just can't find their "special magical quality" :( I find them so bland, like white sliced bread (which can be great toasted with marmalade, but generally is just blah...)

I was a hard-core "Team Dylan", but i have to admit that I'm starting to warm up to M-T/M. What she did at worlds deserves a medal! I really hope they have an international break-through this season!!

To each their own. I think S/B have a lovely light quality to their skating. And they absolutely had a magical quality as juniors and in their first year as seniors. Recent injuries suffered by Julianne have taken a huge toll on S/B's momentum, which has obviously hurt their training time, and in turn, their competitive success. They are talented enough to turn that around, if healthy. Julianne was clearly out of shape and under-trained at Worlds in Milan.

Dylan and Luba also suffered competitively in their final season due to injury. Meanwhile, the team many loved to hate when they first joined up has slowly turned the tables. The key for M-T/M was the chance to move from the Wirtzes to Gauthier/Marcotte. Also, Julie Marcotte has worked wonders for them choreographically. Michael has increasingly improved his partnering skills, and Kirsten has expanded her range as a skater emotionally and artistically. It's been wonderful to witness. They got some breaks by being able to go to Worlds twice when S/B had to pull out. But M-T/M absolutely made the most of their opportunities. As Kirsten notes in the IceTalk interview I linked, she and Michael gutsed it out at Canadian Nationals a few seasons ago instead of pulling out with injury. By doing so, they had the advantage of later gaining the opportunity to debut at Worlds as first alternates. They've never looked back.

Rock2

The things that make me enjoy S/B is their chemistry (never feels forced, very natural for them) and their “pair-ness” that many other teams do not have. I agree with whoever said they’re a bit of a throw back in that regard.

However, they don’t really have any wow elements....

I sort of agree, sort of not.

Their twist is actually really big. They are one of the few who can do 3Tw4.
The sbs 3S into the transitional forward lunge in the long is a chilling move to me.
The new lift they added this past year is glorious.

I don't jump out of my seat but I definitely feel something when I see these three elements.

honey

The sbs 3S into the transitional forward lunge in the long is a chilling move to me.

I don't jump out of my seat but I definitely feel something when I see these three elements.

I don't disagree that all of those elements are very nicely executed. But I guess I just don't see any of them are being the standout that you'd say they are known for. And maybe their standout is their well-roundedness?

I think their twist has good height, but there's always something slightly clunky about it. She's often getting caught in a place where she's not in alignment with him and has to adjust before being put down. Their twist is in the good but not great category for me. It's no Savchenko/Massot, Tarasova/Morosov or Knierims. But S/B's twist has improved a lot over the years, so this is something I think they can continue to master to a point where it is in the great category.

I think that moment out of the sbs 3S is lovely. And that lift would be in the wow category if she had better extension. But they're young and I think there's still room to grow. They haven't hit their ceiling yet by a long shot.

barbarafan

ITA..Their throws are big as well. Their coach sent them away from Canada while still Juniors twice to pick up the twist and the throws. The twist is not a strong point of Canadian teams. Before they were hit with the multiple injuries the int'l judges were rewarding them. The only element that was blah was their lifts. Glad they have added a new one.

aftershocks

Banned Member
It's no Savchenko/Massot, Tarasova/Morosov or Knierims.

But then, that's why Sav/Mas; Tar/Mor; and Knierims own the throw 3-twist. :) Of course Tar/Mor and Knierims can easily do throw 4-twist. So could have Sav/Mas if they'd decided to expend the energy to go for a throw 4-twist. They didn't see the necessity because their throw 3-twist was so spectacular, it always got high levels.

There are definitely other teams with excellent throw 3-twists, and some teams are good but not always consistent. The key to the throw 3-twist looking spectacular is height and horizontal air position. It's a difficult element and it must be carefully built up to, as it requires trust as well as finessing timing and rhythm. S/B's throw 3-twist is good and usually consistent, but not in the category of 'wow.' However, consistency is key with that difficult element. Getting the job done consistently is more than half the battle. Julianne doesn't get huge height or horizontal air position, but they perform it well generally.

When healthy, I think S/B are one of the more solid and consistent pairs teams in the world. Again it's injuries that slowed their momentum and adversely affected their chance to build reputable competitive exposure with international judges. It takes time to recover and rebuild. Just ask a whole slew of U.S. pairs teams (including the Knierims, Denney/Frazier, and Kayne/O'Shea). It also takes time for teams to develop a wow factor that can help set them apart. Just ask Duhamel/Radford and James/Cipres.

It's about finding out who you are as a team, working on enhancing your strengths and improving weaknesses, finding the right music and choreo, as well as developing and honing some difficult elements that can set you apart (D/R: sbs 3-lutzes, and throw 4-salchow, working on unison and matching movement quality to de-emphasize height difference, plus JMarcotte created moves that took spectacular advantage of their height difference; J/C: perfecting a decent throw 3-twist, finding a magic coaching environment, creating spectacular lifts and unusual moves such as their ending carry lift with Morgan bending down on one knee, working the throw quad and trying to stand up on it, their hot chemistry can't be taught -- they always had it).

Rock2

I think ultimately S/B wow factor is their connection/packaging/choreo. They need to maximize this every year while they work to squeeze every tech mark out that they can. Look for a sbs 3L or 3Z and a 3 jump combo this year. Book it. So they'll have that.

S/B have this ability to break down walls between each other and between them and the audience that few pairs can do in the world. When they skate at their best you feel you know them and you certainly like them as well. They need to capitalize on that and pick the right music that builds these connections.

IMHO MT/M have this potential as well but it depends on who packages and choreographs them. We saw a smidge of their ability to connect in their short this year. Their long was beautiful and I'm a fan, but it's something you look at and appreciate vs being drawn into their personality and souls.

I see these two pairs like rooms that have been immaculately decorated by a renowned interior designer. MT/M represent a room you want to take a picture of and put in a magazine. S/B represent a room you want to run into and jump on or soak into the furniture and hang out for awhile.

aftershocks

Banned Member
S/B have to be seen live. They aren't particularly telegenuc: video brings out what's different, when, somehow, live, they're magically together. It's so odd.

That's nice to know. Personally, I've always found Julianne & Charlie charmingly telegenic on video. And I don't recall seeing anything different or unexpected about them in person.

Unfortunately when I saw S/B live at SA in 2016, they were skating to the troublesome and not well-matched for them Louis Armstrong sp. In the fp that year they managed to overtake T/M for the overall win due to T/M's costly lift mistake. But sadly S/B's next GP was at Rostelecom Cup in a rematch with T/M. S/B were made to pay dearly for eclipsing T/M at SA, plus the problematic Louis Armstrong sp did not help. And of course Russian audiences are usually not friendly to rival skaters seen as a direct threat to their top skaters.

Rock2

Skate Detroit canadian pairs:

In Junior: Andrew/Fletcher (formerly known as Paxton Knott)
In Senior: Trent/Michaud

Complete registration list could be fund Under:
https://dscclub.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/Skate-Detroit-EventGroups_6.26.pdf

I think you mean Walsh/Michaud. And it's only SP they are skating it seems.

Not much to see at Skate Detroit this year. I guess there are a lot of long hangovers after the Olympic cycle.

Poor Trennt. Stuck with that extra letter in his first name that few pick up on. Sigh.

DFO

Championnat québécois d'été final list:
https://patinage.qc.ca/wp-content/u...s-List-of-registered-skaters-22-juin-2018.pdf

No last minutes registrations in Senior or junior pairs.

So Senior pairs are:
Matte/Ferland
Brasseur/Bardei
Ruest/Wolfe
Moore-Towers/Marinaro
Séguin/Bilodeau
Wang/Howe

In Junior:
Levesque/Hudon (J3)
Marvaldi/Villeneuve (WD)
Panetta/Mimar. Panetta was J6 with Steven Lapointe. Mimar was N5 in 2016 with Marjolaine Ouimet.
Pouliot/ Simard (N2)
Choinard/Ostiguy (J5) no longer ISU eligible
Perreault/Pierro (N3)

And Novice:
Cormier/St-Louis. Cormier is new to pairs. St-Louis was N8 with Véronique Turbide
Fournier/Farand. PN2
Sophielle Plante/David Riccio (new) Riccio had some Ice Dance experience
Laurin/Éthier (new) Éthier was PN1

Sylvia

TBD
Did any pairs go to Lake Placid?
No Canadian pairs competed there.

Re-posting from the Kiss & Cry section... Two Novice pairs will represent Canada at the first North American Series competition at Skate Milwaukee, July 11-12:

Mackenzie Ripley / Owen Brawley CAN N6
Jamie Fournier / Gabriel Farand CAN PN2

DFO

Samir Andjorin is back on Ice Partner search. Looking for a Novice of Junior Partner.

Last year at the Nationals with Minel Senses did 5/11 in Novice. And the previous year, 3/5 with Danika Lévesque, again in Novice.

levineismine

I believed in Hubbell&Donohue before it was cool
Thanks @clairecloutier , cross posting from the D&R thread:
They are such nice people, I had a really good time :) They are well spoken and very open and candid. I particularly enjoyed their assessment of the past and future pairs field.
They also wanted to make sure to answer all the fan questions even if the interview went long :cheer2:
The interview took place at the dog cafe so Meagan could take her dogs

DFO

No Canadian pairs competed there.

Re-posting from the Kiss & Cry section... Two Novice pairs will represent Canada at the first North American Series competition at Skate Milwaukee, July 11-12:

Mackenzie Ripley / Owen Brawley CAN N6
Jamie Fournier / Gabriel Farand CAN PN2

Both pairs did well There was also 2 american pairs.
Ripley/Brawley dominated both the SP and LP.
Fournier/Farand weren't that far after the short but didn't do as well in the long, finishing a distant second. They need to work on their free but it's the beginning of the season and they also started late last year. They should progress over the season.

barbarafan

Both pairs did well There was also 2 american pairs.
Ripley/Brawley dominated both the SP and LP.
Fournier/Farand weren't that far after the short but didn't do as well in the long, finishing a distant second. They need to work on their free but it's the beginning of the season and they also started late last year. They should progress over the season.

Thank-you so much for the update. I have been checking for updates all over and couldn't find anything.

DFO

I got a secret informator!:p But detailed results aren't posted yet. Ripley/Brawley did 108,56 while Fournier/Farand did 86.66. Han Luong 80.86 and Lestina/Mclemore 54.27.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information