Australia burning: bushfire crisis spreads

mag

A little more information in some of the a Canadians helping out. Australia and New Zealand have always been such a huge support here, I am glad we can return the favour.

Bunny Hop

Queen of the Workaround
Our fearless leader, Scotty from Marketing, once again being completely tone deaf:

“Whether they’re started by lightning storms or whatever the cause may be, our firefighters and all of those have come behind them to support them, whether they’re volunteering on the front line or behind the scenes in a great volunteer effort, it is something that will happen against the backdrop of this Test match,” the Prime Minister said.

“But at the same time Australians will be gathered whether it’s at the SCG (Sydney Cricket Ground) or around television sets all around the country and they’ll be inspired by the great feats of our cricketers from both sides of the Tasman and I think they’ll be encouraged by the spirit shown by Australians and the way that people have gone about remembering the terrible things that other Australians are dealing with at the moment.”
https://au.sports.yahoo.com/austral...s-slammed-amid-bushfire-crisis-022727600.html

Not everyone likes cricket, Scotty, and how are you not getting (having already been criticised for a similar comment a couple of months back) that people in danger or fighting fires will not be inspired by it or indeed be watching it.

If I didn't hate cricket already this would have certainly tipped me over the edge.

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
Scummo the treacherous coward went to Cobargo so he could be "seen".

It went about as well as you'd expect.

Lowlights include him walking up to a young pregnant woman, who keeps her hand by her side and tells him she will not shake his hand. As she begins begging for more funding for the RFS, he reaches out and grabs her hand forcibly to shake it for the cameras. When she becomes distressed and starts trying to get through to him, she's physically restrained by another Nationals politician.

Anyway, the whole town started shouting and Scummo, the lowlife yellow-belly he is, ran away. Of course he did.

missing

Well-Known To Whom She Wonders

nimi

The whole thing is so horrible on so many levels but this cherry on top of a sh!t cake... WTF?!

"Many of the volunteer firefighters are unemployed; their benefits have been suspended because, while they’re saving people and habitats and homes, they can’t apply for the requisite number of jobs per week the government expects them to to continue receiving benefits." (source)

Guardian article from a couple of weeks ago: Volunteer firefighters in Australia warned not to crowdfund for equipment

Another one: How you can donate and help the volunteer firefighters in Australia's bushfire crisis

Andora

Skating season ends as baseball season begins
Gosh, I love Australia. I've met a lot of Aussies in my time, and loved 'em all. My heart breaks for everyone right now - and thank you to @misskarne for donation suggestions. I hope there's a break, and/or more help makes a dent. I visited Queensland some years ago, mostly Brisbane but also the Gold Coast, Steve Irwin's Zoo, the Glass House Mountains - stunning scenery and sunny people everywhere. I know it's NSW hardest hit, but I just think of the communities I got to know, how places like them exist everywhere, and... :(

A nice Aussie bought some land up near where my parents live and often hosted neighbourhood gatherings. We decided Canadians and Australians were truly commonwealth cousins cut from the same cloth, just one of us got the better end of the accent & weather stick. Though, lately I'm wondering if we need to revisit that...

Lastly, has Australia had a government they like, ever?

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter
The whole thing is so horrible on so many levels but this cherry on top of a sh!t cake... WTF?!

"Many of the volunteer firefighters are unemployed; their benefits have been suspended because, while they’re saving people and habitats and homes, they can’t apply for the requisite number of jobs per week the government expects them to to continue receiving benefits." (source)

Guardian article from a couple of weeks ago: Volunteer firefighters in Australia warned not to crowdfund for equipment
Wow about the respirators. I actually do fit testing in my job for respirators as our guys work in gas/metal environments. We are moving away from P2 masks because they do not provide effective protection. I say give them what they want instead of putting barriers up.

S

SmallFairy

This is all just horrible. I can’t find more words. My heart goes out to all the people of Australia.

Maofan7

Away (Workload)
The latest news

NSW fires cause tens of thousands to flee as Victoria declares state of disaster

Prime Minister Scott Morrison Heckled Over Crisis In Latest Embarrassment

Towns Will Need To Be Rebuilt After Being Ravaged By Fires

Bushfires Are A Warning To The World

17 dead, 18 missing, 1,400 homes lost, 5 million hectares burned and 500 million animals dead

Bushfires Are So Big They've Started Generating Their Own Weather

Smoke turns New Zealand skies 'eerie' yellow

Other News

Maofan7

Away (Workload)

Another one: How you can donate and help the volunteer firefighters in Australia's bushfire crisis

This disaster is to Scott Morrison what Hurricane Katrina was to George W Bush. A complete failure to grasp the full magnitude of the crises, always behind the eight ball and unable to get on top of matters, and a complete lack of joined up thinking.

Japanfan

Maofan7

Away (Workload)
Navy operations to evacuate people from the the isolated town of Mallacoota begin as forecasters warn temperatures will rise.

Australian authorities are launching naval and air rescue operations along the country's southeast coast as deadly wildfires intensify, stranding residents and tourists in towns

New Zealand glaciers turn brown from Australian bushfires' smoke, ash and dust

Last edited:

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
Australia Is Committing Climate Suicide

Opinion piece from Australian novelist Richard Flanagan

I just posted that to Facebook as it seems the most concise wake-up call about this that I've seen. And we have all got to wake up or we will all face this hell.

TOADS

Toad whisperer.....
I just posted that to Facebook as it seems the most concise wake-up call about this that I've seen. And we have all got to wake up or we will all face this hell.

we are going to face this hell......

I am plugged into BOM and I am impressed at the job these forecasters are doing. They really know their shit and their forecasts are on target.

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter
Keeping track of the news. They are saying it is going to be a very bad day.

While not as serious as what is happening in Victoria and NSW we have fires around Hobart. Very smokey here and because it sits in a river valley it hangs around. Last summer we had really bad fires around this area.

Maofan7

Away (Workload)
A very rare “fire tornado”

Last edited:

Bunny Hop

Queen of the Workaround
While not as serious as what is happening in Victoria and NSW we have fires around Hobart. Very smokey here and because it sits in a river valley it hangs around. Last summer we had really bad fires around this area.
Thanks for flagging this. I will make sure to ask my parents (they live on the eastern shore in Hobart) if they are okay with the smoke when I phone them tomorrow. They are both in their 80s and my father does suffer from bronchitis.

The temperature here in north west Sydney is 48.4C (119F) at the moment. I believe this is the highest I have ever experienced. Needless to say I am sitting inside under the air con, but it still feels hot.

ETA: Temp peaked at 48.7C

Last edited:

Japanfan

Not everyone likes cricket, Scotty, and how are you not getting (having already been criticised for a similar comment a couple of months back) that people in danger or fighting fires will not be inspired by it or indeed be watching it.

If I didn't hate cricket already this would have certainly tipped me over the edge.

A cricket is match is entirely unimportant when your country is on fire, and animals and people are suffering/dying.

Scotty and Trump must love each other, being equal in stupidity.

taz'smum

'Be Kind' - every skater has their own story
We are seeing the very worst of our scientific predictions come to pass

Article by an Australian climate scientist :wuzrobbed

Last Summer was a turning point for me, and for lots of my friends living here in Lyon.
It was simply too hot, and normal life was on hold until the extreme heat passed over.
What has scared us all, is that this is just the beginning of climate change, yet it was already too much for us.
Many are now making long term plans to move to cooler parts of France, such as Brittany.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information