Australia burning: bushfire crisis spreads

Maofan7

Away (Workload)
Tennis player collapses at Australian Open amid poor air quality

Smoke to make 'full circuit' around globe, Nasa says

Downpours to help douse flames as more than 100 Australia bushfires continue to burn

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
A strike team of firefighters succeeded in their secret mission to save the Wollemi Pines!

There is a forest of the ancient Wollemi pines in the Blue Mountains that have literally been there since the dinosaur era. This stand is the last stand of pines left in the wild. Its location is kept very secret to avoid people coming and damaging them. Everyone thought we would lose them because of the size of the fires, but NSW Parks had a plan!

Today it has been raining on and off. I have been mostly enjoying it, though still a little sad because it's not enough. It's supposed to rain more over the coming days.

Japanfan

Not sure whether I should have posted this in the pet thread, chose to post it here because a bit of good news admist the unfolding tragedy is welcome, at least to me.

Good dog! Dog leads over 200 sheep to safety from fires.

Glad for the rain.

Maofan7

Away (Workload)
Rain falls over Australian bushfires

Rain and hail pelt fire-ravaged Australian states, bringing new risks

Article Entitled "The bushfire crisis has shown a way forward for Australia – and revealed who we truly are"

Article Reads:-

I started to avoid too much of the bushfire coverage after I heard the stories of the NSW Rural Fire Service volunteers traumatised by the sound of koalas screaming as they burned to death.

We had already had our “watch and act” notice at our small cottage in the countryside, the fearful hours of soaking compost heaps and woodpiles with the hose, tearing anything too plastic and flammable out of the garden, packing our bags.

The evacuation alert sounded and I stood in the spare room, emotionally reckoning with the chance that our clothes, books, artworks, photographs, ornaments and beloved pieces of furniture I may never see again. My spleen emptied and I trembled. Seven minutes later, the wind had changed, the fire was under control, the evacuation was called off … but I was still flooded with adrenalin and shaking.

The human suffering is carved into the lines around exhausted firefighters eyes, the grime on their uniforms, they parched lips. It doesn’t need details.

Our last months as a nation are summarised in the burnt fur of our innocent icons, the images of our children, still and terrified, wearing oxygen masks under our thick, smoky skies. I learned this week that in the remains of the flattened town where a friend’s father’s house burned down, there’s a man living in a chicken coop because there are no other options. I couldn’t read on.

The toxin that saps the Australian body is a hybrid of crisis fatigue and grief fatigue. Everyone’s suffering.

I suggest if we want to see our country and our people not only served but represented than we must. Because if there’s a second optimism we can seize from the fires, it’s the example of a collective selflessness that has come to define Australians through this crisis.

From the unpaid, relentless firefighters to the neighbourhood volunteers, the heaving instinct to charity to the painful empathy that we realise in our grief and sadness, we’ve learned a nation-building truth about ourselves.

There may indeed be one instinct alone that culturally defines what it means to be Australian. It’s community.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
Today it has been raining on and off. I have been mostly enjoying it, though still a little sad because it's not enough. It's supposed to rain more over the coming days.
In some ways, it's better to get it more spread out. A problem here with the various fires we've had is that everything washes away in the next big rain. This year we're getting smaller rainfall more often and that has helped avoid flash floods and topsoil being swept away.

Alilou

Ubercavorter
Poor Australia can't catch a break :(

Massive but patchy wild stormy weather with hail the size of golf balls in Melbourne and Canberra - trees down, people without power. In the middle of summer!
Scary huge dust storms in central western NSW - one woman there says she's seen something like this twice in the past decade, and now it's happened 6 times in the past 2 weeks :wideeyes: - so storms bringing only dust but no rain.
In/near Brisbane so much rain there's flooding but it soaks into the parched ground instead of flowing into the rivers so still water restrictions.
Some of the fire grounds have benefited from the rains but not all.

First hand account of one of the firies in Nelligen on the South Coast:

Last edited:

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter
Trying to put something positive into this. The Empty Esky Campaign encourages people to travel to tourist destinations that are doing it tough as a result of the fires. They weren't impacted but just don't have the foot traffic they need to keep busy and afloat financially.

A suggestion for those overseas to think about taking a holiday in Australia and visit these places.

Cachoo

Just read about three firefighters who died: These fires have a human toll and an enormous toll on wildlife. Honestly I am ready to shoot any arsonist.

misskarne

Tragedy begets tragedy.

This afternoon contact was lost with a C-130 Large Air Tanker over the Snowy Monaro area. It has now been confirmed that the plane has crashed, with three fatalities. The tanker and the firefighters on it were among our friends from America. They will now forever be Australians, too. 😭

Conditions were hell today. The wind has been incredibly strong. A bunch of fires were whipped back up. Hopefully the southerly change due tonight will help. We've had a little respite, but it's only January. This fire season is far from over.

Cachoo

Of course it is Superbowl time stateside and during the playoff games there have been pleas from the Red Cross specifically about Australia and Puerto Rico (hurricane damage)(and blood donations) throughout the games with a few psa's from the athletes.

misskarne

This is the dangerous time - when we've had enough rain that the ash and dirt turns to unstable sludge, and the firefighters' exhaustion will start to catch up with them.

Conditions will be bad for the rest of the week. Fingers crossed.

misskarne

Conditions are deteriorating. The ATSB investigators have had to evacuate the site of the crash as it's too dangerous for them there with the fire conditions.

Too many people are relaxing after the big fires over New Year. The fire season won't end until April.

TOADS

Toad whisperer.....
Conditions are deteriorating. The ATSB investigators have had to evacuate the site of the crash as it's too dangerous for them there with the fire conditions.

Too many people are relaxing after the big fires over New Year. The fire season won't end until April.
Too many people are relaxing and compounding the problem is the growing Wuhan virus outbreak grabbing more of the headlines.

TOADS

Toad whisperer.....
The Wuhan virus is increasingly likely to sweep the planet and has pushed the bushfires in Australia down the page.

However they are still raging and will get worse again as heatwave and high wind conditions return.

Australia is still hurting....badly.

Alilou

Ubercavorter
Really badly. Fires are threatening Canberra, with a state of emergency declared. I'm in tears. Again. It's my Aussie hometown. I have a lot of family there. :( :wuzrobbed

Last edited:

Peaches LaTour

Trying to put something positive into this. The Empty Esky Campaign encourages people to travel to tourist destinations that are doing it tough as a result of the fires. They weren't impacted but just don't have the foot traffic they need to keep busy and afloat financially.

A suggestion for those overseas to think about taking a holiday in Australia and visit these places.

I have always wanted to visit and the one time when had the money to go and enough vacation time from work to go, I was diagnosed with cancer. That killed that hope.

Some day. Hopefully. Australia is at the top of my Bucket List.

Peaches LaTour

Tragedy begets tragedy.

This afternoon contact was lost with a C-130 Large Air Tanker over the Snowy Monaro area. It has now been confirmed that the plane has crashed, with three fatalities. The tanker and the firefighters on it were among our friends from America. They will now forever be Australians, too. 😭

Conditions were hell today. The wind has been incredibly strong. A bunch of fires were whipped back up. Hopefully the southerly change due tonight will help. We've had a little respite, but it's only January. This fire season is far from over.

I know how much you Australians love your country. I love mine, too.

The fact that you said the American crew who died in their firefighting efforts there, brought tears to my eyes. It is an honor not lightly given.

Japanfan

Really badly. Fires are threatening Canberra, with a state of emergency declared. I'm in tears. Again. It's my Aussie hometown. I have a lot of family there. :( :wuzrobbed

How awful. :wuzrobbed

One thing I've wondered about - does the government help evacuees pay for accommodation? Some people are away from their homes for a fair amount of time, while others have no homes to return to. Having to pay for accommodation could be rather impossible for the poor, and even the no-so-poor.

once_upon

Better off now than 4 years ago? Have TP now

One thing I've wondered about - does the government help evacuees pay for accommodation? Some people are away from their homes for a fair amount of time, while others have no homes to return to. Having to pay for accommodation could be rather impossible for the poor, and even the no-so-poor.
I know what happened in our area of the US with flooding-not much assistance and in addition to finding temporary or even a more permanent relocation you have people paying mortgages for property no longer existing as well as their new living expenses. Not many can cover that for very long. With the number displaced or homes destroyed I can't begin to imagine the depths of economic impact for them.

Alilou

Ubercavorter

I don't know details except that people who've lost their homes are being given some paltry sum like about $1500 to meet immediate expenses. Oh and I read something like you had to have a bill, or something like that with your address on it to prove you lived where you lived to get the compensation, as if you'd think to take something like that with you while you're evacuating your home and hoping not to die.

Also there was some compensation for work lost for the firies but get this: If they were fighting a fire for 12 hours over night, went home and changed and got to work at 10am instead of 8am they were only compensated for the 2 hours of work they missed. The govt is being incredibly stingy. It's heartbreaking.

Also my nephew is a chef working casual shifts in one of the summer holiday towns on the coast south of Sydney. This was supposed to be the summer when he'd finally get out of debt. But of course there's no work now. All those towns shut down. This is why the empty esky project is so important - to get local tourism happening back in those beach towns. Local tourism was their life-blood, especially over the summer holidays. I don't know what will happen now school's back and people aren't taking hols anymore. Not til Easter anyway probably.

I don't know about accommodation except in Canberra with the current threat they have already set up evacuation shelters in the city so at least people who have to evacuate have somewhere to sleep. I remember the last time the fires came into Canberra (2003) my BIL and others I knew were delivering mattresses to the evacuation shelters. Everyone pitched in to help. I imagine the same is happening now. It's the one little silver lining about it all - people, communities, come together to help each other regardless of the uncaring government. And make no mistake - this current Oz federal govt really doesn't care.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information