Western US is on fire - the 2020 Version

Dobre

Live updates: Fire officials see progress against wildfires, get help from a change in weather

It rained:swoon:.

Not here, but Western Oregon & the mountains & parts of Central Oregon. Basically everywhere we needed it most. The wind is blowing here on the east side. We had some thunder here, but no close lightning thus far. As long as that is it, the wind can blow the smoke east. We are very hopeful & grateful.

Of course the big fires are still raging, but this can help with visibility for fighting them and hopefully help the firefighters make progress with containment. Per the local news, the storms in Western Oregon are also moving up into Western Washington.

SkateSand

Cat Servant
It's cooled down here and much of the smoke has lifted. We had strong westerly winds yesterday that blew the smoke elsewhere ( :shuffle: ) and today was the first day we could take our usual walk around the neighborhood. Also, I have all the windows open. The smoke will be back, I'm sure, because the fires are still going, but at least I'm enjoying a day or two of being able to breathe outside air. :cheer2:

Dobre

We have opened the house! The air is much better. The cat and I are sitting outside in the backyard, and kitty is fulfilling his calling as the owner of the backyard. (Dog #1 is watching him but behaving and laying low in anticipation of getting love & attention for demonstrating good manners).

Dobre

Some good news. Silver Falls State Park, which is one of the most beautiful places in the world, IMO, has mostly survived the Beachie Creek Fire. The area around the trail with multiple gorgeous waterfalls has avoided fire damage.

Dobre

They also said on the news tonight that you guys are getting rain!

Portland expects it Wednesday. They have an 80% chance on Wednesday. Then 100% chance Thursday combined with thunderstorms. (If one must have thunderstorms, 100% chance of rain to go with it is good).

On the east side of the Cascades, we currently have a 40% chance of rain on Thursday & Friday. Fingers crossed. We could really use it as it hasn't rained here since the big storm that pulled up the trees in my parents' backyard maybe 4-5 weeks ago.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
CA is on fire again. Napa area:

aka_gerbil

Rooting for the Underdogs
I smelled smoke earlier and checked Purple Air. I couldn't figure out why the readings were so high around St. Helena.

The family winery of a former coworker is right in between two mandatory evacuation zones (though not actually in one itself). My best friend lived in St. Helena during part of her grade school years. It looks like the street where their house was is part of one evacuation zone and the place her dad worked then is threatened in another zone.

taf2002

Fluff up your tutu & dance away.....
170 Texas firefighters left D/FW today to help fight the fires. The 2 airlines they used flew them free of charge. I'm sure other states & other airlines have done the same.

clairecloutier

I'm so sad for Sonoma County. I used to work for a company that was based in Sonoma (Sebastopol), and for a couple years, I traveled regularly out there. I love that area, and the Bay Area generally, it's my favorite place that I've visited in America. So sad to see it dealing with such terrible fires. :cry:

MacMadame

Doing all the things
So these fires are big which is bad but are also moving slowly which is good:

With another fire weather watch set to kick in Thursday afternoon, Wednesday could prove crucial in the fight against the Glass Fire that continued to rage through California’s Wine Country.

Favorable weather allowed firefighters to claim their first containment of the blaze Tuesday evening and limit its spread to less than 2,000 additional acres overnight. By Wednesday morning, the Glass Fire had grown to 48,440 acres in size and was 2% contained, according to Cal Fire.

At least 80 homes have been destroyed between Napa and Sonoma counties and more than 22,000 were still under threat Wednesday, according to Cal Fire.

skateboy

In Contra Costa County here in the Bay Area. Smoke in the air is bad here as well, along with HOT temperatures.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
I haven't posted much about our fires ecuae all the articles are behind a fire wall. But at the Monday press briefing today, the Governor gave an update on our biggest fires still raging:

Wildfire update: Over 4.1 mil acres burned, 12 major fires/complexes. 7,400+ firefighters
Did some pre-positioning and prevention work because of high winds. NorCal is going to get more winds this week. Also low humidity. SoCal's weather looks better for fires.

31 fatalities, 9,282 structures destroyed

Hottest Aug, Hottest Sept in recorded history.

We've had fires in the past but Mother Nature bats last and bats 1,000 and climate change is now in the picture

August: 82% contained (largest in CA history)
Creek: 61% contained

Sylvia

It's Montreal Worlds week!
Michal Brezina shared this clip today (Silverado Canyon Fire) near Irvine: https://www.instagram.com/p/CG0R3aepdob/

Sean Rabbitt shared an Instagram story that he and his family were safely evacuated from their home in Yorba Linda.

Great Park Ice posted this on their Instagram account:
"Due to the fire and high winds in the Irvine area, all programs have been cancelled today. (10/26/2020)⁠
Please be safe and listen to local advisories if you are in affected areas.⁠"

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information