2020-21 Canadian Women News & Updates

shutterbug

Skate Canada has updated the Next Gen team list: https://skatecanada.ca/nextgen/

Women

Fiona Bombardier
Emma Bulawka
Catherine Carle
Sara-Maude Dupuis
Audréanne Foster
Olivia Gran
Vienna Harwood
Michelle Lee
Emily Millard
Amelia Orzel
Lia Pereira
Kaiya Ruiter
Madeline Schizas
Amy Shao Ning Yang

ETA: Recent IFS article about Madeline Schizas: BREAKOUT SEASON FOR MADELINE SCHIZAS
With respect to increasing the level of difficulty of her technical repertoire, Schizas said that before everything was closed, she was starting to train the triple Axel and the quad toe, “but obviously you can’t really learn them without being on the ice. I am training that stuff off-ice but it is not really the same.
“The plan was to be on the Junior Grand Prix next season, so that meant adding the triple Lutz. I was getting pretty consistent with it before we had to shut down. I started training the triple Axel and the quad in the spring of 2019 and I was getting the Axel out of harness, but then I took a really hard fall in June and that injury outweighed the benefits of training it.”

Last edited:

Aaron MB Fan

I may have missed this being posted already, but looks like Gabby is a contestant for Miss World Canada 2020 from her Instagram page:

dramagrrl

Just my opinion, but I really don't think being in the modelling/pageant world is going to help Gabby with some of the issues she has been having over the last few years. She still looks scarily thin in her IG pictures, and whether that is due to Photoshopping (which you can tell in some of the pictures it definitely is) or whether it is reality, it still shows that she wants to present herself in a way that is concerning for someone who has admitted to having issues with disordered eating and body perception in the past.

Japanfan

Just my opinion, but I really don't think being in the modelling/pageant world is going to help Gabby with some of the issues she has been having over the last few years. She still looks scarily thin in her IG pictures, and whether that is due to Photoshopping (which you can tell in some of the pictures it definitely is) or whether it is reality, it still shows that she wants to present herself in a way that is concerning for someone who has admitted to having issues with disordered eating and body perception in the past.

ITA. The pictures are very disturbing. Unfortunately for Gabby, she is unlikely to get back into top form if the ED issues persist.

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
I may have missed this being posted already, but looks like Gabby is a contestant for Miss World Canada 2020 from her Instagram page:
G-d help her. Cant be a good place for someone with an eating disorder.

Lemonade20

If I agreed with you, we’d both be wrong.

You’re so right on that. I remember following her as a young skater because she had huge jumps and was the next superstar out of Canada. I couldn’t follow her anymore on IG as her posts were getting worse and worse. It’s like she constantly needs validation and I honestly think she has deeper problems than ED.

Immortelle

Rejected by Krasnopolski
I think she needs ongoing help. It’s not something you can beat and it’s over, relapse is common. A mental-based hobby outside of her face and body, like learning another language or playing a musical instrument might take the focus off how she looks to herself all the time. And she is so pretty without all that make up on her face!!!

euterpe

It's worrisome. She's had two seasons of subpar skating, and now instead of working on physical fitness she's off on a tangent that can't be the best thing for her personal issues.

Colonel Green

It's worrisome. She's had two seasons of subpar skating, and now instead of working on physical fitness she's off on a tangent that can't be the best thing for her personal issues.
I'm not sure where you get the idea she isn't working on physical fitness. She's posted plenty about athletics training.

It's very open to question whether there's even going to be an international season this year, so I'd also say that as far as pursuing side-projects goes, this is as good a time as any to do it.

Lemonade20

If I agreed with you, we’d both be wrong.
So true, 2020 is a weird year. No world championships, no Olympics, etc. I wonder how the skaters are coping. Some have side hustles like professional speaking (hello, Zoom!), and others coach too (mostly at-home workouts). It wouldn't surprise me to see skaters starting to drop out because that's a long break to handle.

haribobo

Why is summer so hot omg
It would be super cool if every Canadian skating thread didn't devolve into a catty conversation about Gabby Daleman's life decisions. I know people are just reaecting to an insensitive post in the first place. The fascination is upsetting.

dramagrrl

It would be super cool if every Canadian skating thread didn't devolve into a catty conversation about Gabby Daleman's life decisions. I know people are just reaecting to an insensitive post in the first place. The fascination is upsetting.

Um, okay. Not really sure how people expressing concern for her health and well-being is "catty" or "insensitive", nor have I seen any mention of Gabby or her life choices on any of the other currently active Canadian skating threads.

haribobo

Why is summer so hot omg
oh geez. "God help her" and "its like she constantly needs validation" are such benevolent statements, yeah. The concern has already been expressed, many many times on this forum. At this point it seems more like schadenfraude to keep pointing it out, and most of the people commenting don't know what work she has already done on herself to get to this place, so unless we are talking about her skating, probably best to just leave it alone. I know we are all bored and no skating is happening, but its like FSU is a dog with a bone they won't let go of here...

Sylvia

TBD
ICYMI, bringing over this May 26th post in the previous thread:
Hannah Dawson has announced her retirement on Instagram

https://www.instagram.com/p/CAqq9KCpyzg/?igshid=1xd345xso2wbu
Dawson, now 19, was the 2019 Junior Women's champion and placed 12th in her senior national debut earlier this year.

Tweeted on June 23rd by Ottawa journalist Martin Cleary (I've excerpted the tweets about Alaine Chartrand): https://twitter.com/MartinCleary/status/1275512035237920768
HIGH ACHIEVERS: Stay-Safe Edition Middle-distance runner Melissa Bishop-Nriagu, figure skater Alaine Chartrand and field hockey GK Rowan Harris are still in the game. But they're shrewd and also looking into their futures
While training for their sports, they also have developed a keen interest in coaching. Earlier this month, they were among 11 current and retired national athletes to receive funding in the @gameplandematch @CAC_ACE Coaching Education Program.
The program is designed to cover course costs in the National Coaching Certification Program. ... [Chartrand] is aiming to be a national certified coach in 2021.
A year ago, Chartrand stepped back from training and started coaching at two Vancouver clubs as well as studying kinesiology @UBC. Today, she is a provincial-level coach at Sunset Skating Club, where she is an assistant coach.
"I truly never thought I would enjoy coaching as much as I do," Chartrand said. "I assumed it would be something I would have to do to pay the bills, while going to school. But it has been so much more,"
"I have always liked working with kids and one of the career paths I have considered was to become a primary school teacher," Chartrand added. "I think coaching is that balance of combining my passions for sport and teaching."
Chartrand has a short-term goal. The 2021 Canadian figure skating championships are slated for Vancouver and "I could possibly have the opportunity to attend as a coach with the completion of my national coaching certification."

barbarafan

Sylvia

TBD
Hannah Dawson article:
Still just 19 years of age, Dawson intends to continue working and living in Vankleek Hill for at least another year and has plans to further her education, beginning in September of 2021. She says leaving the sport after the 2020 season to pursue her dream of becoming a nurse specializing in mental health issues was her intention all along and that competing in the 2022 Olympics was never really in the cards.
With her planned final season derailed in March by the COVID-19 pandemic, Dawson had more time to reflect on what she wanted in life and decided the time was now right to end her skating career instead of waiting until the end of the season.
“With everything that happened with COVID-19, I didn’t know when I would be able to get back on the ice and I didn’t just want to sit around all year waiting” Dawson recalls. “I was trying to wrap my head around what to do and one day it just clicked and I thought, it’s time to move on.”

Jammers

It's crazy to think that Canada still has the same amount of spots for Ladies at Worlds next year that the US has.The Canadian team was looking to lose a couple of more spots in Ladies and Ice Dance before the virus hit.

Sylvia

TBD
Found this link on her Instagram page... Alicia Pineault chatted with (former pair skater) Mathieu Ostiguy on his new podcast (May 24, 2020, in French):

ETA that I've posted Ostiguy's chat (in English) with Kaetlyn Osmond in her cheer thread.

Last edited:

Theatregirl1122

Needs a nap
It's crazy to think that Canada still has the same amount of spots for Ladies at Worlds next year that the US has.The Canadian team was looking to lose a couple of more spots in Ladies and Ice Dance before the ***** hit.

Ladies, Canada could only conceivably lose one spot. In dance, Canada losing a spot was no guarantee. In SB, Gilles & Poirier were ranked 5th and Fournier Beaudry & Sorensen were ranked 8th, which would get to the magic number of 13. Hubbel and Donahue could have beaten them again, but Gilles and Poirer also could have beaten Stepanova & Bukin.

Colonel Green

Ladies, Canada could only conceivably lose one spot. In dance, Canada losing a spot was no guarantee. In SB, Gilles & Poirier were ranked 5th and Fournier Beaudry & Sorensen were ranked 8th, which would get to the magic number of 13. Hubbel and Donahue could have beaten them again, but Gilles and Poirer also could have beaten Stepanova & Bukin.
F-B/S weren’t going to be able to compete, so the cancellation of Montreal Worlds did stave off the likely loss of a dance spot.

Sylvia

TBD
Article in French on Alicia Pineault's return to the ice last month, along with Team NextGen's Sara-Maude Dupuis, in Pierrefonds (June 15):

Translated excerpts:
During confinement, all rinks were closed. Pineault turned to cycling to keep in shape.
"I really did a lot," she said. It allowed me to limit the impact on my body, which is very stressed with the skate. I tried to vary my activities.
“I also did off-ice jump sessions so as not to lose my rotation speed that I had before confinement. "
By taking a step back from her sport, she managed to clear her head. She returned to the ice with the goal of having fun. It is one of the conditions for success.
The skater has had her share of pitfalls to overcome in the past two years. She always got up.
... this year, the COVID-19 pandemic forced the cancellation of the Worlds which were to take place in Montreal.
"It was certainly disappointing news," said Alicia Pineault. I cried for a few days. In fact, I was especially disappointed for the organizers, who had worked for several years for this event.
“For my part, qualifying was enormous. I could have had a unique experience. My season goals were already met."

Last edited:

Theatregirl1122

Needs a nap
F-B/S weren’t going to be able to compete, so the cancellation of Montreal Worlds did stave off the likely loss of a dance spot.

Ah, I missed that it had come out that they weren't competing in all the other drama. Last I knew they were scheduled to compete and were hoping to be there.

Sylvia

TBD
Posted back on March 13 in the previous thread:
Michelle Long is getting ready for next season and posted her new program music on instagram:

Short: O Mio Babbino, Sissel
Long: I'll Never Love Again, Lady Gaga
Michelle finished 5th at 2020 Canadians and her IG profile page includes "Skate Canada National Team Member 🇨🇦" :): https://www.instagram.com/themichellelong/

Patinage Québec recently updated their teams for the 2020-21 season: https://patinage.qc.ca/developpement/

Équipe Excellence (2):
Véronik Mallet [S7] / Senior / Bruno Marcotte
Alicia Pineault [S4] / Senior / Stéphane Yvars

Équipe NextGen (3):
Audréanne Foster [N2] / Junior / Karen Sauvageau
Michelle Rivest [J12] / Junior / Janic Leblanc
Sara-Maude Dupuis [N10] / Junior / Stéphane Yvars

Équipe A: none listed

ETA the Nationals (or other) placements of Skate Canada's NextGen team (14 women, with primary coaches included):

Madeline Schizas S3 / Nancy Lemaire
Emma Bulawka S6 / Jason & Karen Mongrain
Amelia Orzel S9 / Brian Orser
Olivia Gran S-wd / Jason & Karen Mongrain
Kaiya Ruiter J1 / Scott Davis
Emily Millard J2 / Joanne McLeod
Catherine Carle (11th at YOG) / Michelle Leigh
Vienna Harwood J13 / Bryce Davison & Jen Jackson
Amy Shao Ning Yang N1 / Jennifer Jiang
Audréanne Foster N2 / Karen Sauvageau
Lia Pereira N3 / Nancy Lemaire
Fiona Bombardier N5 / Ken Rose