2020-21 Canadian Women News & Updates

Sylvia

It's Montreal Worlds week!
ETA the Nationals (or other) placements of Skate Canada's NextGen team (14 women, with primary coaches included):

Madeline Schizas S3 / Nancy Lemaire
Emma Bulawka S6 / Jason & Karen Mongrain
Amelia Orzel S9 / Brian Orser
Olivia Gran S-wd / Jason & Karen Mongrain
Kaiya Ruiter J1 / Scott Davis
Emily Millard J2 / Joanne McLeod
Catherine Carle (11th at YOG) / Michelle Leigh
Vienna Harwood J13 / Bryce Davison & Jen Jackson
Amy Shao Ning Yang N1 / Jennifer Jiang
Audréanne Foster N2 / Karen Sauvageau
Lia Pereira N3 / Nancy Lemaire
Fiona Bombardier N5 / Ken Rose
Michelle Lee N6 / Bryce Davison & Jen Jackson
Sara-Maude Dupuis N10 / Stephane Yvars
Copy-and-paste error (too late to edit my previous post, quoted above): Harwood is coached by Jason & Karen Mongrain in Kelowna.

Emily Bausback was interviewed at Challenge Cup in The Hague (published back on April 6): http://www.absoluteskating.com/index.php?cat=interviews&id=2020emilybausback

Fan blog feature on Bausback (published in March after Worlds was cancelled): https://anythinggoe.com/interview-with-emily-bausback/

ETA that Emily B. posted a photo today wearing a sparkly tiara & holding a "Congrats Grad 2020" balloon (celebrating with friends): https://www.instagram.com/p/CCjht81pwJU/

Last edited:

danafan

Canadian ladies über
From the Skate Canada website: "2020-21 Skate Canada National Team
*Due to exceptional circumstances the National Team for Senior Men, Ladies, Pairs and Ice Dance will be named by September 1, 2020."

Last year's criteria included having a senior grand prix assignment, and considering the likelihood that there will not be any senior grand prix events this year - I wonder what criteria they will end up using to name the team.

Sylvia

Only the 3 medalists from 2020 Canadian Nationals were named to the 2020-21 National Team:
My first thought it - poor Alicia Pineault. She's never been named to the national team despite competing twice on the senior grand prix and being named to worlds this year :(

WOMEN
Emily Bausback, 18, Vancouver, BC
Alison Schumacher, 17, Tecumseh, Ont.
Madeline Schizas, 16, Oakville, Ont.
Link to the GSD news thread: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/threads/skate-canada-names-2020-2021-national-team.107539/

ETA:

2020-21 Program Music is linked in the bios above:

Bausback:
Short Program: The One I Love by Ellen Krauss
Free Program: Alla Notte (Adagio) by Miriam Stockley
Choreographers: Joanne McLeod, Lance Vipond, Neil Wilson
Coaches: Joanne McLeod, Neil Wilson

Schumacher:
Short Program: Clair de Lune by Claude Debussy [last season's music]
Free Program: Once Upon a Time in the West Soundtrack by Ennio Morricone
Choreographer: Joey Russell
Coaches: Joey Russell, Tracy Wilson, Ghislain Briand

Schizas:
Short Program: Stranger in Paradise by Alexander Borodin [last season's music]
Free Program: I Will Wait for You (Theme from the Umbrellas of Cherbourg) - I like this for her :)
Choreographer: Asher Hill
Coaches: Nancy Lemaire, Derek Schmidt

Last edited:

Lemonade20

If I agreed with you, we’d both be wrong.
Surprised Daleman didn't make the top 3 :-( But she has been very inconsistent

Colonel Green

Surprised Daleman didn't make the top 3 :-( But she has been very inconsistent
On reflection, it would probably be hard to design criteria that would capture her without either requiring them to just say they're going to arbitrarily pick whoever they want or lowering the bar so much that they'd have to include a bunch of other people too.

Sylvia

Last edited:

Sylvia

Emily Bausback article published on Oct. 1 (she will make her GP debut at Skate Canada International):
Excerpts:
These are unique and uncertain times, however, Bausback would like to continue to train triple Axels, and possibly a quad, if time permits later this season.
“Having a triple Axel or quad is absolutely necessary to adapt in this ever-changing sport,” she noted. “For me, I don’t see that jump far off as Axels are one of my jumps with great potential. I definitely see myself getting close to rotating a triple Axel in the foreseeable future. They are definitely on my “to-do” list!”
This season, the skater will be skating to “The One I Love” by Ellen Krauss, choreographed by Lance Vipond for the short program. The free skate is set to “Alla Notte (Adagio)” by Miriam Stockley and was choreographed by McLeod and Neil Wilson.

“We both decided that the music selection for my short and free program would mesh with my skating style and had potential for me to grow with the programs,” said Bausback. “The version of “The One I Love” has a warming feel and is uplifting. My short music has a melody and the lyrics are powerful and inspiring. My free program music is very spiritual and performing my program gives me an ‘otherworldly’ feeling. I’m comfortable with skating to lyrics. My new free program music is sung in Italian and I’m learning and working on how to connect to a song where I don’t necessarily have a full understanding of the lyrics.”

Sylvia

These 4 ISU bios were updated for Skate Canada International, canceled earlier today :( (Bausback, Schumacher & Schizas will have to wait another year for their respective GP debuts).

Emily BAUSBACK
Coach: Joanne McLeod
Choreographer: Joanne McLeod, Neil Wilson, Lance Vipond
SP: The One I Love by Ellen Krauss
FS: Alla Notte (Adagio) by Miriam Stockley

Alison SCHUMACHER
Coach: Joey Russell
Choreographer: Joey Russell
SP: Clair de Lune by Claude Debussy
FS: Once Upon a Time in the West (soundtrack) by Ennio Morricone

Madeline SCHIZAS
Coach: Nancy Lemaire, Derek Schmidt
Choreographer: Asher Hill
SP: Stranger in Paradise performed by Sarah Brightman (based on Prince Igor by Alexander Borodin)
FS: I Will Wait For You by Michel Legrand performed by Marie Oppert [new program]

Alicia PINEAULT
Coach: Stéphane Yvars
Choreographer: David Wilson
SP: Faded by Alan Walker
FS: Awakening and Girl and the Mirror by Jennifer Thomas

Gabby showed off her powerful 3T+3T in practice at the Granite Club: https://www.instagram.com/p/CGSsjXjhSRx/
She just finished a live chat for the "Cafecito con Masha" YT channel:

Colonel Green

Kaiya showed up for the recent Calgary performance simulation (at around the 6:30 minute mark):

Fumbled two of the jump landings, but her jumps do look a bit bigger than last year, and I think her spins also look better.

greenapple

Fumbled two of the jump landings, but her jumps do look a bit bigger than last year, and I think her spins also look better.
Aside from the technical problems she still has no speed. Her jumps and spins are still slow and look laboured. She would definitely benefit from taking stroking classes with Tracy Wilson.

Last edited:

Sylvia

Kaiya Ruiter's 2020-21 program music:
SP: "Opportunity" by Sia
FS: Selections from the Mulan (2020) film soundtrack, ending with Christina Aguilera's "Loyal Brave True"

She turned 14 in May and will be ISU Senior age-eligible in the 2021-22 season (eta that I jut saw that her ISU bio has been updated): http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00107952.htm
Choreographers: Jeff Langdon (SP), David Wilson (FS)

Last edited:

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
I WISH Kaiya could get those jump landings under control! She's a skater with so much to offer, it'll be a crying shame if she never reaches her potential.

Colonel Green

Gabrielle posted on her Instagram that due to scheduling conflicts between her skating training and the pageant circuit she's dropping out of the latter; disappointing for her, of course, though I suppose anyone who thought she might be easing out of the sport now has their answer to the contrary.

Skate Canada has been posting videos of old SCI performances in lieu of the event actually taking place this year, including Kaetlyn's 2012 free skate (using footage from NBC for some reason):

Lemonade20

If I agreed with you, we’d both be wrong.
Gabrielle posted on her Instagram that due to scheduling conflicts between her skating training and the pageant circuit she's dropping out of the latter; disappointing for her, of course, though I suppose anyone who thought she might be easing out of the sport now has their answer to the contrary.

Skate Canada has been posting videos of old SCI performances in lieu of the event actually taking place this year, including Kaetlyn's 2012 free skate (using footage from NBC for some reason):

I’m glad she hasn’t given up on skating just yet!

Sylvia

Emily Bausback is featured today in Skate Canada's "Behind the Blades" series:
Excerpt:
She is now enrolled in her first year of the Kinesiology program at Simon Fraser University, taking her classes in a virtual setting. Bausback had originally planned to take a gap year from Simon Fraser so she could compete internationally, but the COVID-19 pandemic changed those plans.

“It’s been an interesting year,” she says. “Winning in Mississauga was probably the greatest moment of my entire life, but what’s happening now, it’s almost hard to remember what the world was like pre-C0VID before everything shut down.
ETA:

Dylan Moscovitch & Asher Hill discuss the National Team women in their latest CBC show starting here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRhQqRseg0M&t=7m4s
Hill choreographs for Madeline Schizas and he mentioned he told her this is the year to work on the little things she hates doing and (elements she) doesn't have.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information