Canadian team selections: Four Continents, Worlds, Junior Worlds

greenapple

So many posters seem to be saying SC dropped the ball for not sending Fiona to a senior international earlier to get the mins. Has her summer and fall domestic performances been strong enough to warrant her to be sent? Or was Nationals more of an unexpected outing for her?! If she had been solid against her peers all season long, then perhaps SC did drop the ball; but if she had only been subpar, then I wouldn't think too much about it. Besides Maddi and Gabby (who did have a strong short program at Skate Canada), And Kaiya's health uncertain, it did look like SC was running out of obvious ladies skaters to support at the senior international stage.
No, SC did not drop the ball. She has basically no international experience (2 junior comps) so sending her to a senior international would have been pointless. Fiona has been progressing all season and while her performances at nationals were not completely unexpected, they were also not guaranteed.

To me, she appears to have that "competitive nerve" that makes a champion, so I hope we get to see a lot of more of her next season. It could definitely be an interesting one if she and Ruiter start closing in and challenging Schizas for the top spot.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
No, SC did not drop the ball. She has basically no international experience (2 junior comps) so sending her to a senior international would have been pointless. Fiona has been progressing all season and while her performances at nationals were not completely unexpected, they were also not guaranteed.

To me, she appears to have that "competitive nerve" that makes a champion, so I hope we get to see a lot of more of her next season. It could definitely be an interesting one if she and Ruiter start closing in and challenging Schizas for the top spot.
Others here, and in the Canadian Women's thread as well as the Canadian Women's FS pbp thread would disagree with you. Yes, SC dropped the ball. Fiona had a great result at Octoberfest as well as Challenge and should have been on SC's radar as needing to be sent out for her senior TES mins. They sent her to IceChallenge Graz to compete junior - there's no reason they couldn't have sent her to the same event to compete senior or to Golden Spin to get her senior TES mins.

greenapple

Others here, and in the Canadian Women's thread as well as the Canadian Women's FS pbp thread would disagree with you. Yes, SC dropped the ball. Fiona had a great result at Octoberfest as well as Challenge and should have been on SC's radar as needing to be sent out for her senior TES mins. They sent her to IceChallenge Graz to compete junior - there's no reason they couldn't have sent her to the same event to compete senior or to Golden Spin to get her senior TES mins.
Well, that may be so, but because she did well at a very small domestic event and again at Challenge hardly qualifies as a valid reason to send her to a major senior international with zero experience against seasoned competitors. There was every reason not to send her to Golden Spin, which is why she was not sent. If she had been sent to a JGP this season then maybe you might have an argument - but as it stands, you don't.

She will get more opportunities next season and I think that is exactly when she will be ready for them.

Last edited:

kalamalka

Well, that may be so, but because she did well at a very small domestic event and again at Challenge hardly qualifies as a valid reason to send her to a major senior international with zero experience against seasoned competitors. There was every reason not to send her to Golden Spin, which is why she was not sent. If she had been sent to a JGP this season then maybe you might have an argument - but as it stands, you don't.

She will get more opportunities next season and I think that is exactly when she will be ready for them.
I would argue there was no point in sending her out to get junior minimums, as there is only one slot for JW, and would have been a few chances to send someone to get the minimums after Canadians if needed, while there are 3 spots at 4CC and no time.

haribobo

Why is summer so hot omg
Whatever has happened so far is now done, but I am more interested in seeing Fiona and Matthew Newnham and Proft/Nadeau and Derenisky/Eberl sent to Bavarian Open or something similar to get their minimums so they can be alternates for Worlds and get some experience, because let us not just harp on the mistake and then keeping making the mistake.

her grace

Team Guignard/Fabbri
Fiona won challenge over Ruiter, Miclette, and Dupuis. Maybe Skate Canada thought she was a front runner for the junior world spot? The whole situation is reminding me of the year Schizas got squeezed out of a Championship assignment.

Private Citizen

"PC." Pronouns: none/none
Yes, Skate Canada dropped the ball. Bombardier was the 2022 national junior silver medallist, and she was third in juniors at the Egna Spring Trophy. It's madness that she did not get a serious senior international with an opportunity to earn the minimum scores.

sandra_persch

Yes, Skate Canada dropped the ball. Bombardier was the 2022 national junior silver medallist, and she was third in juniors at the Egna Spring Trophy. It's madness that she did not get a serious senior international with an opportunity to earn the minimum scores.
They better try to get her an assignments still in early February. It Challenge Cup to late for Worlds minimums?

fan

skate canada makes the same mistakes year after year. It's madness to think they'd do anything differently.

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
They better try to get her an assignments still in early February. It Challenge Cup to late for Worlds minimums?
The Worlds minimums don’t mean much of anything. If Schizas can’t compete for whatever reason, it’s likely going to be Ruiter anyways (ETA- note below that she doesn’t have the Worlds minimums, either, so Skate Canada might want to get on that to have a back-up in Bombardier).

But the thing that does matter is getting a senior score for next season, to potentially get Grand Prix assignments and start building momentum.

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Whatever has happened so far is now done, but I am more interested in seeing Fiona and Matthew Newnham and Proft/Nadeau and Derenisky/Eberl sent to Bavarian Open or something similar
The Bavarian Open entries deadline has passed. Challenge Cup in Tilburg NED (Feb. 23-26) is the last international for singles & pairs to get the Worlds minimums - Skate Canada sent skaters there last year. Entries deadline is January 23.

ETA:

Ruiter still needs the Worlds TES minimum but I assume she will focus on preparing for Junior Worlds, Feb. 27-March 5, 2023.

Hopefully Depuis (needs Worlds SP minimum) and Miclette (needs Worlds FS minimum) will get them at 4CC.

Last edited:

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
The Worlds minimums don’t mean much of anything. If Schizas can’t compete for whatever reason, it’s likely going to be Ruiter anyways (ETA- note below that she doesn’t have the Worlds minimums, either, so Skate Canada might want to get on that to have a back-up in Bombardier).

But the thing that does matter is getting a senior score for next season, to potentially get Grand Prix assignments and start building momentum.
And the score for the SB list can only be earned at GPs, JGPs, Challengers, GPF/JGPF (all passed), ISU Championships and WTT. So, Bombardier might be looking at the SCI host spot as her only GP assignment next season unless she is assigned to WTT.

Sylvia

TBD
There's nothing wrong with having just one GP in your first senior international season. IMO, Schizas and Ruiter should get first dibs on WTT (if that's what Team Ruiter wants).

ETA: From what I recall, Bombardier had a slowish start to her season this summer - this was most likely why she wasn't assigned to one of Canada's 6 JGP spots.

RoseRed

Fiona won challenge over Ruiter, Miclette, and Dupuis. Maybe Skate Canada thought she was a front runner for the junior world spot? The whole situation is reminding me of the year Schizas got squeezed out of a Championship assignment.
Not to say SC didn't drop the ball, but how she did at Challenge isn't relevant for fall assignments. That event happened Nov 30-Dec 3rd, and Golden spin (the last challenger) happened Dec 7-10. So it was already too late for her to do a Challenger and get a SB score. As for senior minimums, the only events that hadn't passed where she could get them in time for 4CCs were Latvia Trophy and Edusport Trophy. Edusport took place during Nationals, so that wasn't an option. Latvia Trophy was Dec 16-18, but the entry deadline passed before Challenge started.

greenapple

ETA: From what I recall, Bombardier had a slowish start to her season this summer - this was most likely why she wasn't assigned to one of Canada's 6 JGP spots.
Yes, she finished sixth in the free skate at the NextGen camp in July and fourth overall - 21 points behind Dupuis.

lise

Again Bombardier doesn’t meet the criteria as well as the others she doesn’t have a triple triple? She has to have that in her program and with the monitoring etc .
Actually no. I spoke to someone close to her who stated that it's not the lack of the 3/3..it's something entirely different. Honestly I think she deserves junior worlds at least. Hopefully she gets assignments in 2023-24 season. She deserves a chance to gain experience internationally.

RoseRed

Actually no. I spoke to someone close to her who stated that it's not the lack of the 3/3..it's something entirely different. Honestly I think she deserves junior worlds at least. Hopefully she gets assignments in 2023-24 season. She deserves a chance to gain experience internationally.
We only have one women's spot for Jr Worlds, and I think it's pretty hard to argue that Kaiya doesn't deserve it. She did beat Fiona at Nationals, after all.

4rkidz

plotting, planning and travelling
we only have one spot for Junior Worlds and Ruiter is the sensible choice IMHO.

Rafter

Please explain how she deserves JW over Ruiter. Canada only has one spot to JW.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!

2023 ISU WORLD FIGURE SKATING CHAMPIONSHIPS
SAITAMA, JAPAN – MARCH 20-26, 2023

Pair

Brooke McIntosh / Benjamin Mimar
Lia Pereira / Trennt Michaud
Deanna Stellato-Dudek / Maxime Deschamps

Ice Dance
Laurence Fournier Beaudry / Nikolaj Soerensen
Piper Gilles / Paul Poirier

Men
Keegan Messing
TBD

Women
Madeline Schizas

Who is/are named as Schizas’ substitute at ‘23 Worlds?

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
Awww rats. Well, as Jr Worlds are right in Kaiya’s training city, Calgary, she doesn’t need to fly to some far-off town to grab a minimum SP score in the next ten days! Hopefully she’ll do great at Jr Worlds.

Maybe Schizas can use the next month to redo/revamp her two programs…first, please get rid of the “creepy fingers” moves as a Puerto Rican, not just Odile/Black Swan!

Former Lurve Goddess

Awww rats. Well, as Jr Worlds are right in Kaiya’s training city, Calgary, she doesn’t need to fly to some far-off town to grab a minimum SP score in the next ten days! Hopefully she’ll do great at Jr Worlds.

Maybe Schizas can use the next month to redo/revamp her two programs…first, please get rid of the “creepy fingers” moves as a Puerto Rican, not just Odile/Black Swan!
Her Black Swan is OK (not great but OK) but WSS has got to go. Her last year's long program was better (not stellar) but better.

Jammers

The best thing for Maddie is competition from other Canadian ladies which she hasn't really had since she took over as the top Canadian woman a few years ago and her skating has stagnated partly because of that. With her being beaten here at 4CC and in the FP at Nationals she now knows other Canadian ladies can beat her and that she can't keep regressing anymore. This will either make her better or she will find herself passed by in the next couple of years.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information