2019-20 Canadian ladies news and updates

Dobre

Alison had a big transitioning year this season. She did well at Nationals and Junior Worlds--two of the events where she has competed before. She also skated a nice free at 4CCs. In general, she does well when she rotates her jumps. It's a matter of not popping them and leaving all those points on the table. Good for her at Junior Worlds!

Foolhardy Ham Lint

Well done Alison. More emotions would have been nice but at least she got the job done.

Just realized - she wasn't attempting a 7th triple in the free at Nationals, 4CCs or Jr Worlds. Was that the plan? Her 2axel3toe was nice. She really could have done 2 2axel3toes and 5 other triples for a total of 7 triples and 2 2axels within 7 passes. That's pretty much the standard now.

Baby steps, Marco.

It's just nice to see a Canadian lady qualify and stay on her feet.

I'm sure Alison and her team know what to do long term.

Jammers

So is Allison going Senior next season? I don't see why not considering the lack of top Senior girls right now.

haribobo

Why is summer so hot omg
All 3 medalists from Nationals should go senior internationally in my opinion, even though the 3 skate canada spots are all the gp spots I expect to be available. The challenger series should be utilized by them and also Pineault, Cotop, Daleman etc

Sonata

Schumacher really stepped up to the plate. Two spots on the line and instead of imploding, she did her best program of the season. I was disappointed that she was passed over for the senior worlds spot but Skate Canada owes her big time. I almost wanted her to turn to the camera in the Kiss and Cry, flash a big smile and say, "You're welcome!"

danafan

Canadian ladies über
Our top three international scores on the season's best list are so close (was updated after jr worlds):

57Alison SCHUMACHERCANISU World Junior Championships 202007/03/2020174.02J
58Alicia PINEAULTCANISU Four Continents Championships 202008/02/2020173.55S
59Emily BAUSBACKCANISU CS Warsaw Cup 201917/11/2019172.48S

Pineault and Bausback of course can improve their standings at the world championships. And if either makes top 12, they'd get two GP spots guaranteed.

Last season Mallet was 57th on the season best list and got a non host pick GP, so it's possible for Schumacher et al to get picked by another host.

Good luck to Pineault and Bausback next week in Montreal. I'll be cheering hard from my living room!

And next season should be quite the battle. Those three plus Schizas (her score from Challenge Cup is in the same range but not on the ISU list) have shown similar scoring potential so there's not much separating them when they skate well.

danafan

Canadian ladies über
I just realized that Schumacher has something in common with Alaine Chartrand - both finished top 10 in junior worlds twice (Chartrand was 8th and 5th in 2013-2014). I wonder how many other Canadian women have done this?

Colonel Green

I wonder how many other Canadian women have done this?
I know Joannie did (8th in 2001, 5th in 2002).

EDIT: Kay Thomson (6th in 1979, 2nd in 1980); Melissa Murphy (7th in 1983, 9th in 1984); Margot Bion (7th in 1988, 8th in 1989).

Last edited:

Seerek

I know Joannie did (8th in 2001, 5th in 2002).

EDIT: Kay Thomson (6th in 1979, 2nd in 1980); Melissa Murphy (7th in 1983, 9th in 1984); Margot Bion (7th in 1988, 8th in 1989).

A little off topic but Margot Bion Mason's daughters (all still younger than 16) are having a go at a music career in the Orlando area as the group Hello Sister

Foolhardy Ham Lint

A little off topic but Margot Bion Mason's daughters (all still younger than 16) are having a go at a music career in the Orlando area as the group Hello Sister

How time flies.

Back in the day, I saw Margot Bion skate in person at the 1988 World Junior Championships in Brisbane.

I remember her as being a very elegant skater. Her team-mate at the event, Judith Tartal, skated very well and performed to selections from Barnum for her free skate.

Colonel Green

Disappointed for Alicia and Emily, obviously, but Worlds getting cancelled is a big net win for the ladies' program as a whole, given what a dreadful season this has been for the senior ladies. We have a much better chance of retaining two spots for the Olympics if we can send two ladies to Stockholm and one of them just has to be top twelve (and obviously, hopefully everybody will be healthier and/or more developed by this time next year).

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
Aw MAN, one of the only two current Canadian ladies I was ubering. :wuzrobbed Don't you go and let me down, Kaiya!

Habs

A bitch from Canada
Hannah Dawson has announced her retirement on Instagram

Honestly, I feel like we'll be seeing a lot of this, especially since the next season is up in the air (and so too, I would argue, might be the Olympics).

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information