2019-20 Canadian Men news & updates

ChiquitaBanana

But he is competing in a different division in JGP than nationals? i don't understand how 1 could relate to the other?

Byes Due to International Assignments to Skate Canada Challenge and the Canadian Figure Skating Championships
Competitors who register for an event(s) at the relevant Sectionals competition and who in the same Competitive Season have been assigned by Skate Canada to an ISU Junior Grand Prix and/or a Junior or Senior International event will be granted an automatic entry into Skate Canada Challenge for each discipline for which they were assigned by Skate Canada to compete internationally.

Competitors who register for Junior and/or Senior events at the relevant Sectionalscompetition and who have been assigned or qualified as follows will be granted an automatic entry into the Canadian Figure Skating Championships:

• Those who have been assigned by the ISU Grand Prix selection group (or by Skate Canada in the case of home entries to Skate Canada International) to a Senior Grand Prix
  • Those who have been assigned by Skate Canada to a Senior International within seven days of Skate Canada Challenge
  • Those who have qualified for the Junior Grand Prix Final event
Byes are applicable in the discipline for which the competitor(s) was assigned by Skate Canada to compete internationally in the same Competitive Season.

sk8girl

Gogolev also has an automatic bye to Nationals because he was 2nd in Senior Men at this year's Nationals. He doesn't have to show up at anything before then if he doesn't want to.

12.5. Automatic Byes to the Canadian Figure Skating Championships for Senior Competitors
Automatic Byes are granted through their respective Sectionals and/or Skate Canada Challenge to Senior competitors placing first, second or third in the previous year's Canadian Figure Skating Championships in the same event discipline and/or to Senior competitors who place first, second or third at any of the previous three ISU World Figure Skating Championships and/or the immediately prior Olympic Winter Games in each case in the same event discipline

mackiecat

It's not a requirement to skate the summer series, and even if it was, Skate Canada can and will waive that as they see fit. Gogolev is their future star; he can do whatever he wants and they'll go along with it.
Not for Stephen but for any Skate Ontario athlete who doesn’t have a bye, they must compete in a Section Series event to qualify for Sectionals.

So Minto, North York, Paris or Barrie

Sylvia

TBD
Congrats to John Kim (last season's Canadian Pre-Novice champ) on winning the silver medal at the North America Cup Novice Men's invitational at Skate Milwaukee last week (results photo): https://twitter.com/SylviaUnseen/status/1149442783360561153
7 Jackson Ellis [CAN N15]
9 Jake Ellis [CAN N14]
10 Christian Nainer [CAN PN9]

allegro

Gogo SP and Lp from Glacier are on youtube. He fell on his first jump in the FS. It looked like a Lz. I wonder if he tried the 4Lz or he just fell on a triple which is almost weird for him

Colonel Green

Gogo SP and Lp from Glacier are on youtube. He fell on his first jump in the FS. It looked like a Lz. I wonder if he tried the 4Lz or he just fell on a triple which is almost weird for him
He wasn't doing quads or triple Axels at the event.

My guess is he's working his way back from a training injury (or maybe a growth spurt, though I didn't think he looked all that much taller).

Sylvia

TBD
Gogo SP and Lp from Glacier are on youtube.
I posted links (and his scores) in his fan thread: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/th...gogolev-fan-thread.104300/page-4#post-5608931

ETA that Skate Canada posted their JGP Courchevel assignments on their website last week and the listed men are Iliya Kovler and Aleksa Rakic (Kovler is scheduled to compete at Minto this coming weekend).

Minto Senior Men SP starting order for Saturday afternoon, July 27: https://skateontario.org/results/19S1/19S1SeniorMenSP1SO.pdf

Last edited:

barbarafan

My guess is he's working his way back from a training injury (or maybe a growth spurt, though I didn't think he looked all that much taller).

It looks to me that he may be taller and a little bit broader. On his blog it is said he went there mainly to get the choreography out there and I guess to get feedback on it.

greenapple

Both Axels at Glacier Falls were supposed to be triples, according to Gogolev. He is not injured. His programs are very new and he is still getting comfortable with them.

Colonel Green

The full initial assignments for JGP France are out. It looks like Iliya will have a decent chance of a medal there; the most notable other guys are his fellow 2018 JGP Armenia podium finishers, Adam (I'd say he's the favourite for gold) and Yuma.

Sylvia

TBD
Who is "Raf"?
Rafael Arutyunyan, Gogolev's new coach (Lee Barkell is still listed in his National Team profile): https://skatecanada.ca/stephen-gogolev/

Roman Sadovsky finished 4th at Skate Detroit (my notes from the Skate Detroit thread in Kiss & Cry):
Roman Sadovsky 196.67 3 4 (131.21 FS) - skated to last year's Schindler's List/Bells of Moscow music
Sadovsky: 4S step out, 3F, 3A good! 1Lo / 4S hand down/fell out to ? jump, 3A+2T, 3Lz too low/fall, ended with 2 quality spins. Encouraging to see him land two 3A solidly in the same program.
Senior Men's FS protocol: https://dscclub.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2019/07/2019SkateDetroitSeniorMenFS.pdf

Last edited:

danafan

Canadian ladies über
Thanks for posting the protocol from Detroit @Sylvia
I will take it as a huge positive that Sadovsky landed two triple axels with +GOE! And he wasn't attempting the lutz and flip last year so nice to see him doing those. Let's hope he keeps hitting those axels when the international season starts!

haribobo

Why is summer so hot omg
Summer comp scores

SENIOR MEN
Roman Sadovsky 196
Eric Liu 195 (jr event)
Conrad Orzel 191
Bennet Toman 188
Stephen Gogolev 186 (jr event)
Beresford Clements 179

TBD: Messing, Nadeau, Nguyen, Phan

JUNIOR MEN (not sure which of these are moving up to senior for Nationals?)
Ilia Kovler 196
Corey Circelli 183
Wesley Chiu 169
Gabriel Blumenthal 167
Matthew Newnham 167
Alec Guinzbourg 164
Aleksa Rakic 162

Last edited:

Rock2

I wonder how the senior men will fare this year with only one spot for world's (that still hurts a lot) and a lot of remaining competition for even 4CC. Motivation might be a challenge for some.

No surprise to see some skaters not invest in new choreo as they will have limited opportunity to showcase it.

Colonel Green

Joseph and Eric and scheduled for JGP Latvia. I was worried with Joseph's injury that he might not get to compete the JGP, or else might be a latecomer like Danielian was last year; I guess we'll see at Championnats how he's doing. That's going to be a very tough field for him, though.

euterpe

Joseph and Eric and scheduled for JGP Latvia. I was worried with Joseph's injury that he might not get to compete the JGP, or else might be a latecomer like Danielian was last year; I guess we'll see at Championnats how he's doing. That's going to be a very tough field for him, though.

Just looked at the Quebec SENIOR MEN start order and Joseph Phan isn't on it. He's listed for the JUNIOR MEN now.

barbarafan

Just looked at the Quebec SENIOR MEN start order and Joseph Phan isn't on it. He's listed for the JUNIOR MEN now.
makes sense...He is prob.behind due to injury so is only working on Junior program to be ready for JGP. Senior program could follow.

haribobo

Why is summer so hot omg
Summer comp scores

SENIOR MEN
Joseph Phan 217 (jr event)
Ilia Kovler 196 (jr event)
Roman Sadovsky 196
Eric Liu 195 (jr event)
Conrad Orzel 191
Bennet Toman 188
Stephen Gogolev 186 (jr event)
Beresford Clements 179