2019-20 Canadian Men news & updates

Sylvia

TBD
Starting a new season thread now that the Grand Prix initial selections were published today (June 20) and five Canadian men have filled 9 spots:

Keegan Messing (Skate America & China)
Nam Nguyen (Skate Canada & Russia)
Roman Sadovsky (Skate Canada & NHK/Japan)
Nicolas Nadeau (Skate Canada & France)
Conrad Orzel (NHK/Japan) *debut

RoseRed

Skate Canada will get a couple of International head to heads to consider, in addition to whatever happens at Nationals.

We have Nam, Nic and Roman at SC, and then Roman and Conrad at NHK.

barbarafan

Skate Canada will get a couple of International head to heads to consider, in addition to whatever happens at Nationals.

We have Nam, Nic and Roman at SC, and then Roman and Conrad at NHK.
Does anyone know who is coaching Conrad? He is posting pictures at TCC so I don't think he left with Lee Barkell.

Sylvia

TBD
Thanks for confirming this SP music, also discussed in the previous thread, from the clips posted by Joseph Phan (his IG caption: "Due to a recent injury to the left knee, the only jump I'm allowed to do is the loop. As you can see, I'm taking full advantage of it."):
Joseph Phan
SP: Torn (Redux) by Nathan Lanier
Here's hoping the tendonitis in his left knee heals soon!

Conrad Orzel currently is in China with Team Orser/Cricket (5 photos from the Great Wall): https://www.instagram.com/p/BzELovJJhLp/
ETA: Corey Circelli is there. too (saw him in Jason Brown's Instagram photo).

Last edited:

Colonel Green

I was looking at the JGP schedule to think about where Stephen might be assigned this year. It seems like it'd make sense for him to go to Lake Placid, as it's the only one in North America. I'd guess either Poland or Croatia as a second event.

My biggest niggle about Stephen's program last season was the coaches keeping the 4Lz in as it became more and more of a mental hurdle, and especially since he manifestly did not need it; he could do two 4S or two 4T much more easily. I kind of expect Raf to take the 4Lz out, since that's his most unreliable quad at the moment and he may want to rework the technique on it.

Brenda_Bottems

Banned Member
Come to Skate Canada in Kelowna. Flight prices are surprisingly reasonable from the US and I would love to meet you in person!

That is a tempting invitation,but Rusty insisted I attend Skate America in Las Vegas this year.

-BB

Last edited:

Japanfan

My biggest niggle about Stephen's program last season was the coaches keeping the 4Lz in as it became more and more of a mental hurdle, and especially since he manifestly did not need it; he could do two 4S or two 4T much more easily. I kind of expect Raf to take the 4Lz out, since that's his most unreliable quad at the moment and he may want to rework the technique on it.

He will probably need the 4Lz in future. And I agree that reworking the technique might be wise.

Colonel Green

He will probably need the 4Lz in future.
I don't disagree there, I just mean that he definitely doesn't need it in juniors right now, and if he was doing a second 4S or 4T instead of that Lutz that only worked once all season (and became more and more of an obvious mental block as the season went on) he'd have won more stuff.

Incidentally, per Stephen's updated SC bio, his coaches are listed as Lee and Raf.

greenapple

It makes sense to retain Barkell in case Arutyunyan can't travel with Gogolev because of obligations to his other skaters. [/QUOTE said:
As Gogolev's family lives in Canada he will be back and forth and will train with Lee Barkell when he is in Toronto. Rafael is his main coach and will be accompanying him to competitions this season.

barbarafan

Training Location: Irvine, CA, USA
Club: Granite Club
Coaches: Rafael Arutyunyan, Lee Barkell
Choreographer: Shae-Lynn Bourne

It makes sense to retain Barkell in case Arutyunyan can't travel with Gogolev because of obligations to his other skaters.
As well he is 14 and his life and family are in Toronto. He will be skating in Senior domestic but Junior international events and he will need to keep training and working out when in Canada.As well as he is being monitored medically-he is still growing and his healthcare is free in Canada.

barbarafan

I guess, Stephen should be at least with one parent wherever he goes, as at 14 he can't just live on his own.
I would imagine...but have not heard how they are managing it. He has very responsible parents so I am sure they will fix everything to his advantage and will have thoroughly vetted all plans for his continued training with his health and welfare always a first priority.

Rock2

Then there's school. Is he home schooled? Or does he have a customized school schedule such that he can live and train in Cali for an extended summer?

screech

So it's kind of like a reverse Jeff Buttle situation (who in his last few years had Lee as his main coach, Raf as his secondary coach).

barbarafan

Stephen is not in the entries to Minto Skate which he always goes to.Anybody know why?
Also Nick Nadeau's club is listed as non-Skate Canada Club. It shows Boisbriand in his new bio?

Colonel Green

But he is not skating for California...he is skating for Ontario, Canada...These sectionals gives you admissions to Challenge and Nationals.
But they aren’t necessary, and Gogolev certainly would be given a bye if Raf wanted to spend as much time with him at the rink as possible before the JGP.

barbarafan

But they aren’t necessary, and Gogolev certainly would be given a bye if Raf wanted to spend as much time with him at the rink as possible before the JGP.
By winning Minto last yr I believe he got a bye for Challenge and Challenge is tricky timing as it is close to JGP final and switching programs from junior/Senior would be not so much fun. I am not sure he could cite JGP as why he could not skate as JGP is Junior and domestic competitions are Senior.

Colonel Green

By winning Minto last yr I believe he got a bye for Challenge and Challenge is tricky timing as it is close to JGP final and switching programs from junior/Senior would be not so much fun. I am not sure he could cite JGP as why he could not skate as JGP is Junior and domestic competitions are Senior.
It's not a requirement to skate the summer series, and even if it was, Skate Canada can and will waive that as they see fit. Gogolev is their future star; he can do whatever he wants and they'll go along with it.

barbarafan

Last season Gogolev would have received a bye to Challenge due to his JGP assignment. After making the JGPF that gave him a bye to nationals.
But he is competing in a different division in JGP than nationals? i don't understand how 1 could relate to the other?

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information