2018 Fall-Spring TV New/Returning Shows

Status
Not open for further replies.

VGThuy

I think Christina Applegate's rage was probably more relatable. I think both are deserving of nominations, but then that category is super stacked and super impressive. Despite how stacked it is, and the fact I haven't seen Fleabag yet but I know so many people who absolutely love it, I hope Catherine O'Hara takes it. I think Dan Levy and Annie Murphy were also deserving of nominations.

I also think a lot of GOT nominations are from what some think is a lot of competition it usually has not being eligible this year, so it was like lack of choices. IMO, the only good acting nomination it has was Theon Greyjoy. The other ones just seemed like they were just reading lines to move the plot along whereas he actually had a character to play. Second would probably be Brienne out of the GOT bunch.

I'm glad Steven Universe received another nomination and it was for an episode with four storyboarders, so some of the better storyboarders received a nomination. I really want this show to finally win (after being robbed two years ago IMO) but I really want my favorite storyboarder to win as well, so I'm glad they picked an episode where he was involved.

Also, hell yeah to Michelle Williams. I hope she wins her category. With Patricia Arquette being double nominated, I hope that helps Williams' chances with voters choosing Arquette in the supporting category rather than the lead one leaving only Amy Adams as her biggest competition.

Last edited:

HeatherC

Searching for Sanity
MANDY MOORE IS FINALLY AN EMMY NOMINEE!!!

YES!!!! That was the one that made me the happiest today! :cheer:

On the other hand, I'm really bummed out that Kirsten Bell and especially D'Arcy Carden were both left out of the comedy categories. Kirsten is awesome all the time and D'Arcy was freaking BRILLIANT, especially in the "Janets" ep, on The Good Place last season. :fragile:

oleada

I’m glad the Good Place was nominated but I agree that D’arcy Carden was robbed! She was brilliant last year, particularly in the episode with all the Janet’s.

Seerek

2019 Emmys List

And I'm annoyed that Linda Cardellini was not nominated for Dead to Me, whereas Christina Applegate was. Blonder actress wins??

There are 8 nominees for supporting actress, so that makes it even more perplexing (at least to me).

While she's quite a riot as the stepmom in Fleabag, I would replace Olivia Coleman with Linda (as Olivia only appears in half the episodes, while Linda is effectively co-lead). I'm also a little surprised with Sarah Goldberg (whose character didn't make that much of a leap forward compared to others in Season 2 of Barry). I like Anna Chlumsky, but I was disappointed with how Amy's arc ended in the final season of Veep.

VGThuy

I think when a category has like 8 nominees, it shows that there was no real clear 5th or 6th or even higher ranked nominee so the ballots were probably all over the place with all kinds of names showing up and the way it worked out percentage wise was very close among those who got in. The Lead Actress category probably had a clearer picture of who the nominators were supporting. Plus, with the amount of television programming these days, I bet the pool for Supporting Actress in a comedy was a lot bigger than the one for lead actress.

Japanfan

2019 Emmys List

Really scratching my head at all the GOT nominations, considering the final season was panned or criticized by so many.

Maybe they want to give it a good send-off. And give Peter Dinklage a third Emmy. I think he's fabulous in the series, but because the Emmies are often given to series that run for many years, repeat winners are common. IMO, it makes the show a bit less interesting.

'The Handmaid's Tale' was pretty much left out of the acting noms, even though a few years ago it had several, and several wins - Ann Dowd and Kate Moss. Though Bradley Whitford did get a nom as a guest actor.

I really think that Joseph Fiennes deserves a best actor nom for 'The Handmaid's Tale'.

Last edited:

VGThuy

Maybe they want to give it a good send-off. And give Peter Dinklage a third Emmy. I think he's fabulous in the series, but because the Emmies are often given to series that run for many years, repeat winners are common. IMO, it makes the show a bit less interesting.

'The Handmaid's Tale' was pretty much left out of the acting noms, even though a few years ago it had several, and several wins - Ann Dowd and Kate Moss. Though Bradley Whitford did get a nom as a guest actor.

I really think that Joseph Fiennes deserves a best actor nom for 'The Handmaid's Tale'.

I read that The Handmaid's Tale wasn't eligible this year for the big series awards, lead acting awards, or supporting awards. It was only eligible for awards that recognize individual episodes (like guest performance) because only a handful of episodes from the Summer of 2018 aired during this current eligibility period. I really did not understand Hulu's scheduling of last season because it put them in a weird position awards wise as the last batch of episodes from last season were not in consideration for last year's award, including the episode "Holly" that was considered Elisabeth Moss's best performance that season. Shame she wasn't eligible for the award this season as I think "Holly" would have been a strong episode for her to submit for Lead Actress.

Article about eligibility rules and what it meant for the show:

It all comes down to the Emmys’ complicated eligibility rules. Basically, to compete for a given year’s Emmys, a show must air at least half of its season between June 1 (of the year preceding the ceremony) and May 31 (of the year of the ceremony). Handmaid’s Tale just barely made the cut last year: Its second season had 13 episodes, and the seventh was released May 30, 2018. The show received 20 nominations, including Outstanding Drama Series, and won in three categories. This year, however, Handmaid’s Tale’s currently airing third season was ineligible to compete, as the premiere didn’t drop until June 5.

But there’s another crucial twist in the Emmy rules that explains the show’s presence this year. Categories such as Best Drama and the acting races for series regulars (Lead Actor/Actress, Supporting Actor/Actress) nominate for seasons as a whole. But the writing, directing, and technical categories, as well as Outstanding Guest Actor and Actress, nominate individual episodes, and abide by the same deadline rules. Thus, episodes that air after the May 31 cutoff are eligible for the next year’s Emmys, even if their season has already competed.

chantilly

2019 Emmys List

Really scratching my head at all the GOT nominations, considering the final season was panned or criticized by so many.

And I'm annoyed that Linda Cardellini was not nominated for Dead to Me, whereas Christina Applegate was. Blonder actress wins??

Never watched GOT so not able to comment.

But Christina has a higher profile, I’d say in both tv and film.
Even though Cardellini is a much better actress.

Likely more about that.

I do like Christina though.

The Emmys ate super frustrating because so many shows and talent are deserving and don’t get recognized.

Though I’m SO thrilled for Schitt’s Creek!

AliasJohnDoe

Headcase Addict
New/Returning Shows for the week Sunday July 21/2019 - Saturday July 27/2019: https://www.cinemablend.com/televis...le-premiere-dates-for-new-and-returning-shows

Sunday, July 21
8 p.m. - GORDON RAMSAY: UNCHARTED - National Geographic

Monday, July 22
9 p.m. - YUM AND YUMMER - Cooking Channel
10 p.m. - Worst Bakers in America Season 2 - Food Network

Wednesday, July 24
8 p.m. - ANCIENT SKIES - PBS
10:30 p.m. - SOUTH SIDE - Comedy Central

Thursday, July 25
12:01 a.m. PT - ANOTHER LIFE - Netflix

Friday, July 26
12:01 a.m. PT - THE BOYS - Amazon
12:01 a.m. PT - Orange Is the New Black Season 7 (Final Season) - Netflix
12:01 a.m. PT - Veronica Mars Season 4 - Hulu
12:01 a.m. PT - Light As a Feather Season 2 - Hulu

Saturday, July 27
8 p.m. - V.C. ANDREWS' HEAVEN CASTEEL SAGA (Miniseries) - Lifetime
9 p.m. - SHARE (TV Movie) - HBO

Please post any updates I may have missed.

Japanfan

2019 Emmys List

I also think a lot of GOT nominations are from what some think is a lot of competition it usually has not being eligible this year, so it was like lack of choices. IMO, the only good acting nomination it has was Theon Greyjoy. The other ones just seemed like they were just reading lines to move the plot along whereas he actually had a character to play. Second would probably be Brienne out of the GOT bunch.

I loved Game of Thrones from the first episode to the very last - for the story and the characters, as well as the spectacle. I felt satisfied with how the series ended.

I think the acting was mostly competent, this season and previously, with some outstanding performances. I would really like to see Lena Headey get the win - Cersei is such a complex character and Headey was able to get audiences to despise her at one moment, then feel sorry for her or relate to her at the next moment. I think she brilliantly depicted how a woman of a certain status might navigate the power dynamics of a hierarchical, patriarchal society to her advantage.

My main issue with GoT was excessive, gratuitous female nudity - particularly in the Brothel Scenes. There were certain points where I thought I might stop watching the series because of it.

Also, I would like to have seen Conlith Hill (Varis) have gotten a nom at some point. He was perhaps the most intriguing character in the whole series, and really help Peter Dinklage to shine as Tyrion. And Aidan Gillen merits recognition for his performance as Littlefinger.

Last edited:

Susan1

Monday, July 22
10 p.m. - Worst Bakers in America Season 2 - Food Network

I have this series preset on my DVR. I looked and it shows Diners, Drive-ins and Dives in that time slot to be recorded. I wonder if it got cancelled for some reason, or AT&T messed up.

Susan1

I have this series preset on my DVR. I looked and it shows Diners, Drive-ins and Dives in that time slot to be recorded. I wonder if it got cancelled for some reason, or AT&T messed up.
Weird. It shows up on Saturday at 3 p.m. I changed my settings to any day, any time (first run only) and it picked up the next two Saturdays. This way if it goes back to 9 p.m., I'll have it too.

AliasJohnDoe

Headcase Addict
New/Returning Shows for the week Sunday July 28/2019 - Saturday August 03/2019: https://www.cinemablend.com/televis...le-premiere-dates-for-new-and-returning-shows

Sunday, July 28
8 p.m. - BULLETPROOF - The CW
9 p.m. - PENNYWORTH - Epix (70-Minute Series Premiere)

Monday, July 29
8 p.m. - Bachelor in Paradise Season 6 - ABC
11:30 p.m. - LIGHTS OUT WITH DAVID SPADE - Comedy Central

Wednesday, July 31
12:01 a.m. PT - FOUR WEDDINGS AND A FUNERAL - Hulu
8 p.m. - NO ONE SAW A THING - Sundance
10 p.m. - SHERMAN'S SHOWCASE - IFC

Thursday, August 1
9 p.m. - Million Dollar Listing: New York Season 8 - Bravo (90-Minute Season Premiere)

Friday, August 2
12:01 a.m. PT - She-Ra and the Princesses of Power Season 3 - Netflix
12:01 a.m. PT - Dear White People Season 3 - Netflix
8 p.m. - DESCENDANTS 3 (TV Movie) - Disney

Saturday, August 3
9 p.m. - A TASTE OF SUMMER (TV Movie) - Hallmark

AliasJohnDoe

Headcase Addict
New/Returning Shows for the week Sunday August 04/2019 - Saturday August 10/2019: https://www.cinemablend.com/televis...le-premiere-dates-for-new-and-returning-shows

Sunday, August 4
12:01 a.m. PT - Patriot Act with Hasan Minhaj Season 4 - Netflix
8 p.m. - CMA Fest 2019 - ABC (Three-Hour Special Presentation)
8 p.m. - SERENGETI - Discovery
9 p.m. - Preacher Season 4 - AMC
10 p.m. - FLIP IT LIKE DISICK - E!

Monday, August 5
8 p.m. - Bachelor In Paradise Season 6 - ABC
9 p.m. - Five Points Season 2 - Facebook

Tuesday, August 6
10 p.m. - Hard Knocks: Training Camp with the Oakland Raiders (Season 14) - HBO
10:30 p.m. - Growing Up Chrisley Season 2 - USA

Wednesday, August 7
9 p.m. - BH90210 - Fox
9 p.m. - HYPNOTIZE ME - The CW

Thursday, August 8
8 p.m. - TWO SENTENCE HORROR STORIES - The CW

Friday, August 9
12:01 a.m. PT - GLOW Season 3 - Netflix
12:01 a.m. PT - Las Chicas Del Cable Season 4 - Netflix
8 p.m. - WE DAY - ABC (One-Hour Special Presentation)

Saturday, August 10
8 p.m. - Nickelodeon Kids' Choice Sports Awards 2019 - Nickelodeon (90-Minute Special Presentation)
9 p.m. - SUNSHINE (TV Movie) - Hallmark

Cachoo

There is a hilarious episode of "Barry" when the hit man meets his match in the character of a teenager who knows martial arts. She is awesome. The episode is nominated for an Emmy.

Susan1

BH90210? LOVED IT!
I know next to nothing about that show, but Jason Priestly is on Private Eyes on ION television. I did recognize the name. It's set in Toronto, Canada. They show a "mini-marathon" on Tuesday night at 10. I caught it once when I couldn't sleep, now I've been recording some of them. It's like a Castle-light. Ex-pro-hockey player decides to be a detective with a female private detective. (Other quirky characters....) I haven't even seen the first episode to know why. I guess it's a current show. I'll have to check if it's still in production or what.

edited - started May 2016, still in production, but the ones I'm seeing are reruns? I'm not watching them in order or anything. So one of the ones on Tuesday night might have been new? They don't put a description of the curent show, just the "ex-hockey player teams up with a ................." on every show.

Last edited:

skategal

Bunny mama
I think they plan to have a show within the show that will start on the next episode.
So far, I’m not liking the “show within a show” idea but I’ll give it a chance next week.

ETA. I read that there is a lot of airtime next week about how they will actually get the show on the air. That should be interesting to those who want to know how show biz really works. :D

AliasJohnDoe

Headcase Addict
New/Returning Shows for the week Sunday August 11/2019 - Saturday August 17/2019: https://www.cinemablend.com/televis...le-premiere-dates-for-new-and-returning-shows

Sunday, August 11
8 p.m. - Teen Choice Awards 2019 - Fox (Two-Hour Special Presentation)
9 p.m. - CURSE OF AKAKOR - Facebook
9 p.m. - Succession Season 2 - HBO

Monday, August 12
12:00 a.m. - Squidbillies Season 12 - Adult Swim
9 p.m. - OUR BOYS - HBO
9 p.m. - The Terror Season 2 - AMC
9 p.m. - FAMILY PICTURES USA - PBS
10 p.m. - Lodge 49 Season 2 - AMC
11 p.m. - STRAIGHT UP STEVE AUSTIN - USA

Tuesday, August 13
8 p.m. - Bachelor In Paradise Season 6 - ABC (Time-Slot Premiere)
9 p.m. - MYSTERIES DECODED - The CW
10 p.m. - Adam Ruins Everything Season 3 Summer Premiere - truTV

Wednesday, August 14
8 p.m. - DAVID MAKES MAN - OWN

Thursday, August 15
12:01 a.m. PT - WHY WOMEN KILL - CBS All Access

Friday, August 16
12:01 a.m. PT - THE AMAZING JONATHAN DOCUMENTARY - Hulu (Special Presentation)

Saturday, August 17
9 p.m. - DUDE RANCH (TV Movie) - Hallmark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information