2018 Fall-Spring TV New/Returning Shows

Status
Not open for further replies.

oleada

This season of You're The Worst has gotten me so emotional in all the best/worst ways. I think this show is unique in the way it talks about depression and how it affects relationships. Even though Jimmy and Gretchen are, objectively, horrible people, I care so much about those two crazy kids, and Gretchen, in particular, is so, very relatable. Aya Cash has done a great job this season. If the finale is a sad one, I'm going to be :fragile: :wuzrobbed

Last edited:

BaileyCatts

This Is Us .... probably an unpopular opinion but I really don't like where this Beth and Randall story line is going. First of all, since when can you go be a councilman in Philly when you live in New Jersey, a 2 hours drive away? You gotta live in the city limits to be on city council where I live. And you can't just use the address of your dead biological father who you only knew for about 9 months to say "hey, look! I live here too!", when clearly you don't even live in the same State! As a voter and city resident, I'd be livid that someone who doesn't even live in the same city, let alone the same State, is a member of my city council. But that's me .....

And Beth's teaching schedule is apparently: we need you every single night of the week from 2p-midnight and 16 hour days every Saturday and Sunday. What the hell kinda dance studio is this? Because that is how it seems. A part-time dance teacher does not have that kind of schedule Beth is apparently working. And how does she just walk into a dance studio and get an apparently 80 hour a week teaching schedule when she has not even danced since she was 18 years old and has no experience teaching? Again ... that's me .......

And how old is Daja? She is at least 13? Maybe 14? Why do they need a babysitter if Daja is 14? I was baby sitting other peoples children when I was 12.

eh, I'm in a bitchy mood and just watched last weeks episode and it just ticked me off. So there .... :p

manhn

The Randall storyline has been the biggest problem on the show. Did anyone really want him to win?

Regarding Beth, as a newbie, she probably gets the worst schedules. I am not a dancer, but I am assuming dance classes are like the group fitness classes that I attend. You are accommodating clients with jobs and kids who are in school. So, a lot of night and weekend classes.

This is also why I am less sympathetic to Beth and her drinks with her coworkers and bosses. Pretty much all of my instructors are women and are mothers. They are in and out. Beyond Beth having a husband who's a politician, her bosses should be sensitive to Beth being busy with 3 kids.

skatingguy

decently
This Is Us .... probably an unpopular opinion but I really don't like where this Beth and Randall story line is going. First of all, since when can you go be a councilman in Philly when you live in New Jersey, a 2 hours drive away? You gotta live in the city limits to be on city council where I live. And you can't just use the address of your dead biological father who you only knew for about 9 months to say "hey, look! I live here too!", when clearly you don't even live in the same State! As a voter and city resident, I'd be livid that someone who doesn't even live in the same city, let alone the same State, is a member of my city council. But that's me .....
It's because he owns the building. I agree I don't like where this seems to be going, and it seems strange for the Randall character to suddenly be holding his wife to an impossible standard.

manhn

I just watched The Hate U Give. Oh my goodness, this movie is terrific.

It is not perfect, I felt the voiceovers too much, the reveal of one of Starr's friends in her high school too jarring, the ending too pat, but when the movie works, it really works. One of those movies that could work as a tv series because I found pretty much every character so fascinating. Loved that family. I want to see more of these characters.

And Amandla Stenberg is just sensational. Not sure I have seen a better performance by a young actor this decade.

BaileyCatts

It's because he owns the building. I agree I don't like where this seems to be going, and it seems strange for the Randall character to suddenly be holding his wife to an impossible standard.

Ah, so that's it. I really wasn't clear on how he was able to qualify to run. I thought it was because he was using William's address so my mistake. But I still stand by the argument that not only does he not even live in Philly, he lives 2 hours away in freaking New Jersey. Don't care if you own simply just own property there, you should have to be a permanent resident of the city (and the State!) where you be a councilman. They are really turning me off with this story line because I agree its so out of character for Randall to behave this way. I'm wondering if we will see seeds of this during this weeks "the story of Beth and Randall" background history.

Susan1

eh, I'm in a bitchy mood and just watched last weeks episode and it just ticked me off. So there .... :p
That's me every week. I don't know why I DVR it. The kids/spouses are all so unlikeable and selfish. What do all of these people even do for real money/jobs to pay the bills/health insurance? Especially Toby. They are always flying around the country and world. (I guess Kevin has his t.v. show money?) It is not the "real life" drama it is touted to be.

So I don't have to do two threads in a row - I am looking forward to episode two of The Fix. It looks interesting (which means they will cancel it after this week -- ha ha).

BaileyCatts

This Is Us .... and another thing (since I'm still bitchy about it) what happened to remodeling the building they bought and why is Beth not managing that project as her 'job'? Her career she got let go from was Urban Planning. She immediately understood how to go about remodeling that building when Randall was doing it all wrong (like first you move people out, then you exterminate, then you do structural ... yada yada yada). That is her knowledge base so why is she not managing that process as her 'job' that she needs to go work 80 hours a week teaching dance .... something she has no experience or credentials doing and hasn't even danced for over 20 years? Personally I'd question the ethics of a studio that hired some rando who walked in the door and said "I want to teach". :p Did they just abandon the building? :blah:

:EVILLE: this is my mood right now. So there.

Susan1

This Is Us .... and another thing (since I'm still bitchy about it) what happened to remodeling the building they bought and why is Beth not managing that project as her 'job'? Her career she got let go from was Urban Planning. She immediately understood how to go about remodeling that building when Randall was doing it all wrong (like first you move people out, then you exterminate, then you do structural ... yada yada yada). That is her knowledge base so why is she not managing that process as her 'job' that she needs to go work 80 hours a week teaching dance .... something she has no experience or credentials doing and hasn't even danced for over 20 years? Personally I'd question the ethics of a studio that hired some rando who walked in the door and said "I want to teach". :p Did they just abandon the building? :blah:

:EVILLE: this is my mood right now. So there.

Did I forget to mention that years ago someone saw me doing waltz jumps at the local rink and asked me to be an Olympic coach? ha ha ha ha ha

meggonzo

Banned Member
This is Us is going to kill me next week.

My interest in This is Us has really waned this season. It just seems like a competition to see who can be the most miserable and then everyone else complains about it. I missed last week's episode and a few others earlier this year, and I haven't felt compelled to catch up on-demand.

What's going to kill me is when Fred Andrews is written off of Riverdale. The last few episodes that Luke Perry has been in since his death, he's just popped up in scenes at the end of the show and it's a swift kick in the gut.

HeatherC

Searching for Sanity
I...am not sure how I feel about TIU after watching tonight's ep. I think I need some time to process it before I say too much. I will say this though...couples go through crap all the time but in this case, I don't find one of them more to blame than the other. I find them both at fault for poor communication skills that seems to have gone on for quite some time. I hope they don't break Beth and Randall up because that's the easy way out and I would hope they love each other enough to fight for their marriage and their family. :fragile:

Watching The Village now and so far I still love it just as much as I did last week. That dog is ADORABLE and I'm not even a dog person! :swoon:

manhn

OMG, This is Us was excellent tonight. Randall asking out Beth with Kevin's assistance was perfectly realized.

Randall is A LOT. But it was Beth who really raised the drama in a lot of the scenes. Randall wearing a suit and giving flowers is not that big an issue. He was the one who tried to avoid conflict by acquiescing the restaurant's (racist) request.

He may have kept asking for her hand in marriage, but he seemed perfectly fine whenever she said no. Actually, reminds me of own parents. My dad proposed to my mom very early in their relationship. She said no at first. But they are 45 years into their marriage.

I know Beth said she did all of the work on the wedding, but I am not sure if I buy that.

Beth staying at home for the kids is something she probably wanted. She barely let Randall change his own kid's diaper.

Present day, a bit frustrating that nothing really was resolved. I am more on Beth's side here, but I also think this is not something insurmountable.

I am not familiar with the school Beth and Randall attend. I am assuming it was not an all black university.

Last edited:

Susan1

OMG, This is Us was excellent tonight. Randall asking out Beth with Kevin's assistance was perfectly realized.

Randall is A LOT. But it was Beth who really raised the drama in a lot of the scenes. Randall wearing a suit and giving flowers is not that big an issue. He was the one who tried to avoid conflict by acquiescing the restaurant's (racist) request.

He may have kept asking for her hand in marriage, but he seemed perfectly fine whenever she said no. Actually, reminds me of own parents. My dad proposed to my mom very early in their relationship. She said no at first. But they are 45 years into their marriage.

I know Beth said she did all of the work on the wedding, but I am not sure if I buy that.

Beth staying at home for the kids is something she probably wanted. She barely let Randall change his own kid's diaper.

Present day, a bit frustrating that nothing really was resolved. I am more on Beth's side here, but I also think this is not something insurmountable.

I am not familiar with the school Beth and Randall attend. I am assuming it was not an all black university.
Randall IS a lot, but geez. She made him ask her to marry him when and where she wanted. HE made her nachos. I must have missed the part where he told her she couldn't have any of the whole ones. She felt guilty for getting caught trying to spend 24 hours away. He understood, but she changed her mind. She brought up all the times she did what he wanted. She didn't say "without complaint" though. She didn't want an equal marriage. She wanted to be in charge.

I hardly think this little dance studio said you have to work 80 hours a week and ignore your family or you can't teach here at all. Does she make $100 an hour? It's not like she has private students. She is just an employee with no credentials or recent experience. What's next, she's going to buy the studio?

love skating

Clueless American
I still love This is Us and I feel pretty confident that Beth and Randall survive this rough patch... bracing myself though for the finale which you know will have some cliffhanger questions... with more future scenes perhaps?

meggonzo

Banned Member
This is Us is quickly becoming unwatchable for me. I really hated that at the end of the first date, Beth told Randall not to call her again, but when he got home he told his roommate that this was the girl he was going to marry?! WTF toxic

TanithandBenFan

Author of the Ice and Edge Series
I still love This is Us and I feel pretty confident that Beth and Randall survive this rough patch... bracing myself though for the finale which you know will have some cliffhanger questions... with more future scenes perhaps?

In the preview for next week I spotted future Toby and Randall, and the episode title is "Her" so I think we will finally find out who the "her" is they've been referring to in the future. I'm still thinking it's Rebecca and she suffering from dementia or Alzheimer's.

Susan1

This is Us is quickly becoming unwatchable for me. I really hated that at the end of the first date, Beth told Randall not to call her again, but when he got home he told his roommate that this was the girl he was going to marry?! WTF toxic
I think the term for Beth is passive-aggressive.
p.s. she said something about how they were practically the only black students there.

BaileyCatts

In the preview for next week I spotted future Toby and Randall, and the episode title is "Her" so I think we will finally find out who the "her" is they've been referring to in the future. I'm still thinking it's Rebecca and she suffering from dementia or Alzheimer's.

Totally agree its Rebecca. When the show started she was 66 (ish). In twenty years in the future she will be 86 (ish). Let's face it, you manage to get thru life with no catastrophic illness you still probably gonna die in your 80s'. You make it past 85 then you got extra time. Rebecca is the "her" and she is on her death bed so they are all going to say goodbye simply because she's pushing 90 and .... well, its just time for her to die. That's how the show will end, with Rebecca dying cause she's almost 90 so just died of old age.
:EVILLE:

I saw a poster for Carnegie Mellon University on the wall in Randall's room.

VGThuy

This is Us is a show I think has moments of brilliance but is overall really badly written and false. But I still watch. I thought this episode was very well done as it called back to Jack and Rebecca's fight with collegeRandall mentioning that during their date. Great parallelism.

I don't blame Beth too much for that first date even if she was sort of a party pooper. She was not in the best frame-of-mind during that time with her dad dying and giving up dancing at her controlling mom's urging to move on. She hadn't really the opportunity to grieve for her father either thanks to her mom. Then she gets sort of strong-armed into a date with a guy who seems strange to her at first (grew up totally differently from her) who seems like A LOT and way more into her than she is into him.

I don't think we're meant to take a side with Beth and Randall. What they're going through is what a lot of couples go through when they reflect upon their relationship after years of resentments build up and one person starts seeing the past in that sort of narrative. I do think Randall is manipulative though and doesn't take push back or not getting what he wants well. Beth, for her part, knows how to hit where it hurts where she'll lash out and then resolve it by bending and making Randall feel better. If she was more honest and open, she wouldn't lash out that way because she'd express herself a long time ago without using it as a weapon to hurt Randall.

Beth may be going through some revisionism because I'm sure she wasn't really protesting too much with some of her life choices and she benefitted from that good lifestyle with all the space (remember that season 1 episode where she told Deja she wanted her own property and not to share rooms after doing that her whole life?). But even with that, she really did bend to Randall a lot because she didn't like the idea of hurting him and wanted him to feel better, and it's catching up with her now that she has something that she wants to be totally selfish about and Randall REALLY does minimize her job and if he was honest with himself, he'd admit he does see his work as being way more important than Beth's (and anyone else's) as we already know how self-important he is. I rolled my eyes at his complaining because whose fault is it that he decided to become a city councilman in a city he does not even live in and has to commute 2 hours both ways to get to? He chose those hours while promising his family wouldn't suffer. Now he's complaining about his schedule. Bitch, please.

I still don't know how these characters pay for the lives that they have. I barely see them work. Any of them. Also, the characters complain about other characters getting what they want, but EVERYBODY in this show seems to get what they want really. Even Kevin getting complicated, commitment-phobe Zoe with serious intimacy issues becoming a devoted supportive wife fill-in to be there when he relapsed and lied to her about his going-ons in L.A. while being drunk at a hospital as she's sitting with NOT HER FAMILY going through some over-written dramatics.

Susan1

People in Canada who get to watch Grey's Anatomy on Wednesday night just spoiled it for everybody who was looking forward to tonight's episode about Jo. AARRGGHH!

People have been speculating since last week, so I thought it was safe to read the post. Jo and Alex, and Owen and Teddy, and Bailey and Richard are the only stories I even care about since Derek died. I just watch it out of habit. I hope this is the last season.

AliasJohnDoe

Headcase Addict
New/Returning Shows for the week Sunday March 31/2019 - Saturday April 06/2019: https://www.cinemablend.com/televis...re-schedule-dates-for-new-and-returning-shows

Sunday, March 31
12:01 a.m. PT - Trailer Park Boys Season 13 (Animated Season) - Netflix
7 p.m. - ESPN Sunday Night Baseball Season 30
8 p.m. - Call the Midwife Season 8 - PBS
9 p.m. - MRS. WILSON - PBS (Two-Hour Series Premiere)
9 p.m. - Keeping Up with the Kardashians Season 16 - E!
10 p.m. - Barry Season 2 - HBO
10:30 p.m. - Veep Season 7 - HBO

Monday, April 1
12:01 a.m. PT - THE TWILIGHT ZONE - CBS All Access (Special Night)
12:01 a.m. PT - CANNON BUSTERS - Netflix
12:01 a.m. PT - ULTRAMAN - Netflix
8 p.m. - Legends of Tomorrow Season 4 Spring Premiere - The CW
9 p.m. - Penn & Teller: Fool Us April Fool Us Day - The CW (One-Hour Special Presentation)

Tuesday, April 2
12:01 a.m. PT - KEVIN HART: IRRESPONSIBLE - Netflix
9 p.m. - Little People, Big World Season 17 - TLC
10 p.m. - 7 Little Johnstons Season 6 - TLC
10:30 p.m. - GROWING UP CHRISLEY - USA
10:30 p.m. - The Last O.G. Season 2 - TBS

Wednesday, April 3
10 p.m. - Brockmire Season 3 - IFC

Thursday, April 4
8 p.m. - Marvel's Cloak & Dagger Season 2 - Freeform
9 p.m. - IN THE DARK - The CW
9 p.m. - Braxton Family Values Season 7 - WE
9 p.m. - UNSPEAKABLE - Sundance 10 p.m. - Little Women Season 8 - Lifetime

Friday, April 5
12:01 a.m. PT - OUR PLANET - Netflix
12:01 a.m. PT - QUICKSAND - Netflix
12:01 a.m. PT - PERSONA - Netflix
12:01 a.m. PT - Spirit: Riding Free Season 8 - Netflix
12:01 a.m. PT - Roman Empire: The Mad Emperor (Season 3) - Netflix
12:01 a.m. PT - The Tick Season 2 - Amazon [Complete Season]
8 p.m. - MY KILLER CLIENT (TV Movie) - Lifetime
8 p.m. - TRUE LOVE BLOOMS: SPRING FEVER (TV Movie) - Hallmark
9 p.m. - Yes, It's Really Us Singing: The Crazy Ex-Girlfriend Concert Special! (One-Hour Special Presentation)
10 p.m. - WARRIOR - Cinemax
11 p.m. - Wyatt Cenac's Problem Areas Season 2 - HBO

Saturday, April 6
11:30 a.m. - My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic Season 9 (Final Season) - Discovery Family Channel (One-Hour Season Premiere)
9 p.m. - The Book of John Gray Season 2 - OWN
10 p.m. - NATIVE SON (TV Movie) - HBO

Please post any updates i may have missed.

LeafOnTheWind

This is a very petty shallow critique of Good Girls. Whoever is dressing Christina Hendricks and how they are filming her is bothering me. It feels like they are trying to hide the fact that she has a big chest. It's almost drawing more attention to her boobs than if they dressed her properly and didn't try to minimize it.

I also just realized where I had seen her before. She was Saffron in Firefly (Mal's wife) :rofl: She was awesome in that role too.

manhn

Tonight's episode of 911 was INTENSE. I will always love Jennifer Love Hewitt.

EtA: This is Us!!! Nicky!!!

Last edited:

Susan1

American Idol ...... Ima just gonna call this one now. And the winner of American Idol 2019 is Laine Hardy! :rofl: Somebody come back and quote me when I'm right. :p
I'm too old for this show, but I watch it because I don't have to concentrate on a plot line when I am distracted by everything else in my life. I fell asleep Sunday a little after 10. (And last night I even fell asleep watching my DVR of Buddy vs. Duff, and woke up and it was over; I'll have to restart it.) They all seem to have good voices for today's music, and all sound alike (boy bands and growling and "airy" singing), but I just wish they would sing something with an actual melody and enunciate without their mouth touching the microphone. It's bad enough when I can't understand the words of a song I don't know, but when I can't even understand the words of a song I do know.........
And telling them to move around the stage? They all do the same thing - walk over here, walk to the other side, squat down, touch hands, move to the other side. Point and turn your hands like "this". It's so "staged" looking.

sk8pics

Beth may be going through some revisionism because I'm sure she wasn't really protesting too much with some of her life choices and she benefitted from that good lifestyle with all the space (remember that season 1 episode where she told Deja she wanted her own property and not to share rooms after doing that her whole life?). But even with that, she really did bend to Randall a lot because she didn't like the idea of hurting him and wanted him to feel better, and it's catching up with her now that she has something that she wants to be totally selfish about and Randall REALLY does minimize her job and if he was honest with himself, he'd admit he does see his work as being way more important than Beth's (and anyone else's) as we already know how self-important he is. I rolled my eyes at his complaining because whose fault is it that he decided to become a city councilman in a city he does not even live in and has to commute 2 hours both ways to get to? He chose those hours while promising his family wouldn't suffer. Now he's complaining about his schedule. Bitch, please.
ITA with you whole post, but especially this paragraph. I was all WTF at Randall’s complaining about driving back and forth, because he totally caused his own problem. He strikes me as someone who doesn’t think things through very well, and just decides he is going to do something because he thinks he has to or because he just wants to, but he doesn’t stop to consider the effects on the rest of his family. Taking in Deja is another example of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information