U.S. Men in 2017 - articles & latest news

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tahuu

Once again I was saying how it was ridiculous that Adam beat Nathan at Nationals that year. And you say well Adam's placement at Worlds proves the decision was right.

How does Adam's placement do that when Nathan wasn't even at worlds.

And for the record, I think the overall results of this year-prove me right.

Rippon didn't exactly go to worlds and get those kind of PCS did he? And while I think he was top six is a good placement its not spectacular. But once again the overinflated GOE (and it was) and overinflated PCS did not happen for him at Worlds.

Chen though went on later on in the year to medal at the GPF (beating Fernandez) and a little over a year later actually beat Hanyu?

Part of the reason people like me were screaming is because we felt in Nathan they finally had a guy who could compete with the top guns-so why not anoint him and start supporting him ASAP.

I think we were proved right.

It was obvious that they made sure Nathan not be the champion last year so he could be even better.

In that sense they are also proven right.

vesperholly

Rippon didn't exactly go to worlds and get those kind of PCS did he? And while I think he was top six is a good placement its not spectacular. But once again the overinflated GOE (and it was) and overinflated PCS did not happen for him at Worlds.
He wasn't that far off from his PCS marks, though. Adam got 90 PCS at US Nationals and 85 at Worlds. Max had 85 at Nationals and 79 at Worlds. Grant had 86 at Nationals and 77 at Worlds. Everyone at Nationals got PCS inflation and Adam actually had the least inflation of the three men who went to Worlds.

At the rate that skating has accelerated, Adam will be extremely lucky to make the Olympic or World teams next year. Why are you still complaining about 2016 Nationals?

Jayar

Once again I was saying how it was ridiculous that Adam beat Nathan at Nationals that year. And you say well Adam's placement at Worlds proves the decision was right.

How does Adam's placement do that when Nathan wasn't even at worlds.

And for the record, I think the overall results of this year-prove me right.

Chen though went on later on in the year to medal at the GPF (beating Fernandez) and a little over a year later actually beat Hanyu?

Part of the reason people like me were screaming is because we felt in Nathan they finally had a guy who could compete with the top guns-so why not anoint him and start supporting him ASAP.

I think we were proved right.

Adam absolutely DID get those kinds of PCSs at Worlds. He scored 90+ at Nationals and scored nearly 86 points at Worlds in the free skate. Pretty close, if you ask me. And it's not like it was a run away victory at Nationals-- Adam won by a little more than a point, and Nathan was just a few points behind that. This season as Nathan progressed, his scores improved dramatically. On the other hand, Adam's scores this fall were spot on with what he scored at Nationals last season. The fact that you are trying to tear down Adam to build up Nathan is ridiculously silly. It's water under the bridge. And honestly, if you asked Nathan point blank if he thought he should have won that title, he would tell you that he was excited to be on the podium for the first time, and he used that as motivation to be even better this season. Move on.

aftershocks

Banned Member
:lol: :respec: I've been having a blast reading Adam Rippon's recent posts on Twitter (everything from Adam joking with his Mom; Adam's reflective and outspoken posts against Trump's biased turning back the clock; Adam's sharp retorts to trolls; Adam retweeting others' funny, informative & thought-provoking posts; Adam updating followers on his rehab progress; young pics of Adam in Christmas plays (is the Angels pic a portrait of Adam and his siblings?); Adam as a young baseball prodigy; cat adoption posters with the adoptees' likes and dislikes :cat:-- it's too funny that Adam tags himself as the calico cat who dislikes 'birds' :rofl:).

Looks like Adam has a lot of time on his hands lately. ;) Thanks AdaRipp for sharing some of your memories, and what you're thinking about these days, with such wit, wisdom, and humor. :saint:

I especially enjoy Adam's shout-outs to his fave inspiring ladies in honor of Women's Day (March 8)! Included are photos of Adam's Mom, sisters and friends?, Ashley Wagner, Molly Oberstar, Madison Hubbell, Alexa Knierim; and Adam in separate photos with Mirai, Gracie, Mao Asada, Madison Chock, Meryl Davis, Kaitlyn Weaver, Polina Edmunds, Valentina Marchei, Molly Oberstar & friend, and a female pug?).

Heal well Adam!

https://twitter.com/Adaripp?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^author

ETA:
The clip of Adam rehabbing on what looks to be a zero gravity treadmill is fantastico. :encore: This treadmill I learned about a few years ago: it was developed by NASA. So there are a lot of discoveries and new technologies that come to the fore in connection with space exploration. :)

Last edited:

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
The zero-gravity machine was interesting. But I'm guessing it means he's not back on the ice yet? That's starting to get to the long end of the prognosis, isn't it? :(

ilovepaydays

The zero-gravity machine was interesting. But I'm guessing it means he's not back on the ice yet? That's starting to get to the long end of the prognosis, isn't it? :(

I believe Adam fractured (or maybe even broken) a bone in his foot, correct? Bone fractures, especially if they are in your foot, should be taken with care in recovery. It's probably an injury that takes 2-3 months to heal enough to consider going back on the ice. Look at how long Polina Edmunds has been out from a bone bruise in her foot.

Is Adam still scheduled to do Stars on Ice? That could be a bit concerning if he is doing a tour and he is barely recovered.

meggonzo

Banned Member

I think he said he'd be off the ice for 8-12 weeks, and it's probably been about 8, so not unexpected.

Spiralgraph

Vince was landing 4F during the finale for the Junior Worlds exhibition. ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6PdyL0daZc (about 10:00 mark)

On the one hand that's commendable, but on the other hand, considering his young age to me it's too risky to do a quad in an exhibition. I keep thinking of Nathan Chen last season. These young men are still in their teens and developing physically, why do quads in a gala?

wickedwitch

Okay, which countries would you like to see lose spots to fit five from the US.
Well, Canada only needs one if Reynolds or Nam is their number two man. And Spain certainly doesn't need the two they'll have.

ETA: I am joking, but that doesn't come through in this post.

A.H.Black

None :D
I'd rather have more initial entrants even if it means more ppl don't advance to the FS.
I've always thought it would be interesting to have a sort of Pre-Worlds competition. (Yes, I know, another competition) This one could include anyone who was not chosen by their country to go to Worlds and who had the minimums to compete at Worlds. The top 5 (or 3, or 10) would be able to compete at Worlds.

This would give skaters from countries who are very deep in one discipline or another to have more competitors at Worlds. These days that might mean that Japan or Russia might have more women competitors. The US might have more Dance entries. Men's would be very competitive. It might even encourage pairs.

It would change the balance at Worlds - which might be uncomfortable. On the other hand, it might keep some competitors from switching countries. It would also give many skaters a chance to compete at Worlds who will not get a chance otherwise - skaters that are more qualified than some coming from countries where skating is not popular or is underfunded.

I support the system where all countries have a chance to send at least one representative. I just feel like some really good skaters miss out because there is such depth in their own countries. It's hard to find the balance. I think it would be fun to try this approach and see what would happen.

Last edited:

olympic

^Using U.S. Men as an example (since we are in the U.S. Men's thread), the US placed 3 men in the top 10 but only have 2 slots for Helsinki. I think the ISU needs to replace the 13 rule and find a better system to ensure more top competitors reach worlds: Perhaps a nation which places at least 3 competitors in the top 24 best ISU scores for the season (24 is a usual cut-off for the final in singles) will obtain 3 spots. I still think we should maintain a max of 3 competitors per country. I also think the top 24 score would have to be achieved at an ISU sanctioned event. And maybe that no. can be smaller for pairs and ice dance.

Marco

Well, if the ISU is to keep the per country rule, I would at least like to see some sort of carve-out (e.g. top 6 from previous Worlds and top 3 from GPF, 4CC and Euros do not count towards the per country rule and automatically qualify for Worlds/ Olympics but they can help qualify spots for their country at Worlds as well as for their own automatic spot for Worlds next year). Given the likely overlap, there will probably be a maximum of 10 extra skater per discipline. Then there's the issue of extra cost.

Sylvia

TBD
^^^ Cute! I'm guessing that photo could have been taken at 2008 "Junior" Nationals in late 2007 when Jason won silver in Intermediate and Nathan bronze in Juvenile?
ETA: They also competed together in Juvenile at 2007 Jr. Nationals in late 2006 - Jason won the gold (age 12) and Nathan placed 10th (age 7): http://www.usfsa.org/eventrelatedde...tent/events/200607/usjunior/juvboys-final.htm
2 other Senior men at this year's Nationals competed in that Juvenile event: Emmanuel Savary (6th) and Jordan Moeller (13th).

Audio of Jason's media teleconference call on Wednesday: http://web.icenetwork.com/video/topic/220125674/v1245556883

Lynn Rutherford tweeted yesterday:
Call: [Jason] said quad toe going well, but main focus for #helsinki2017 is to "do what I can do well, with confidence & GOEs."

"Focus is on doing what I can do to the best of my ability, to help get that 3rd (U.S. Olympic) spot."
Beverley Smith's Brown article based on the call: https://bevsmithwrites.wordpress.com/2017/03/23/jason-brown-bouncing-back/

Last edited:

olympic

^^^ Cute! I'm guessing that photo could have been taken at 2008 "Junior" Nationals in late 2007 when Jason won silver in Intermediate and Nathan bronze in Juvenile?
ETA: They also competed together in Juvenile at 2007 Jr. Nationals in late 2006 - Jason won the gold (age 12) and Nathan placed 10th (age 7): http://www.usfsa.org/eventrelatedde...tent/events/200607/usjunior/juvboys-final.htm
2 other Senior men at this year's Nationals competed in that Juvenile event: Emmanuel Savary (6th) and Jordan Moeller (13th).

Audio of Jason's media teleconference call on Wednesday: http://web.icenetwork.com/video/topic/220125674/v1245556883

Lynn Rutherford tweeted yesterday:

Beverley Smith's Brown article based on the call: https://bevsmithwrites.wordpress.com/2017/03/23/jason-brown-bouncing-back/

Thanks, according to Beverley's article, it sounds like Jason is back at full strength.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications šŸ˜
Heres a great article on Nathan's balletic background from IN.

http://web.icenetwork.com/news/2017/03/24/220700164

adorb photo!!

Dance background helps to enhance Chen's skating
Years of ballet training have 17-year-old U.S. champion set up for success

"Chen's ballet teachers feel his quick mastery of ballet jumps, called tours, and of its spins, called pirouettes, came from his skating. He would constantly be practicing them in a corner of the room during breaks in ballet classes.

It was rare, Christie said, for 11- to 13-year-olds to do double tours, where the takeoff comes from a knee bend (pliƩ) and the landing finishes with another pliƩ. That was among the reasons teachers moved Chen into advanced classes, with much older students, almost immediately after his mother, Hetty Wang, first enrolled him in the ballet school."

Sylvia

TBD
Last edited:

aftershocks

Banned Member

:lol: The Tigger similarity and analogy to Jason is very apt! And it's too funny that another fan had the same thought and purchased a stuffed Tigger to throw on the ice to Jason after one of his performances. :D

I had a huge smile on my face looking at the Tigger cartoon clip:
"The wonderful thing about Tiggers ... is they're bounce-y, flounce-y, pounce-y, fun fun fun ... cuddly & sweet ... and I'm the only one!" :rofl:

That's Jason alright! :respec:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information