U.S. Men in 2017 - articles & latest news

Status
Not open for further replies.

tylersf

I'm glad that he did so well in the SP. I didn't want Jason to go to Worlds because of his injury and I was afraid he was going to hurt his chances for the Olympics next year. I hope he continues the upward trajectory and helps the US qualify 3 skaters for the Olympics.

WAY TO GO JASON! 93! And it sounded like it was beautiful! Of course, by certain people's logic, he shouldn't have even been on the team, after all.

Pretty Vegas

Proud of Nathan and Jason to get the US three spots! Did anybody notice how Nathan shook his feet/boots around after falling on the 4lz? Like he was testing them? Amazed he was able to keep his composure after that (and skating after Hanyu) and do as well as he did. Kid's a fighter and he's going to learn so much from this experience. :cheer2:

Jun Y

I don't know what I like more: the fact that we regained 3 spots or commentators like Phil Hersh proven wrong. I am not against Nathan but I did not like all the hype (especially NBC) that he would save US men's skating with all the quads.

Very, very proud of Jason Brown. What incredible result in the midst of the quad frenzy today. I'm not against quads, but I do find his skating and success heartening.

Last edited:

DimaToe

Retired by Frank Carroll
Top 6 at worlds, Gold at 4CC, and silver at GPF is a very good debut season. Even if the world podium didn't happen for Nathan he, his team and his federation should be very happy for such a good season and I'm sure Nathan will learn from this disappointment (if you choose to call it that) and come back with a vengeance for the Olympic season.

skatingguy

decently
It's very clear that Chen peaked at the US Nationals and didn't quite live up to that skate at either 4CC or Worlds. Next year he'll almost certainly win US Nationals and the focus will be on peaking in February.

olympic

Proud of Nathan and Jason to get the US three spots! Did anybody notice how Nathan shook his feet/boots around after falling on the 4lz? Like he was testing them? Amazed he was able to keep his composure after that (and skating after Hanyu) and do as well as he did. Kid's a fighter and he's going to learn so much from this experience. :cheer2:

I'm glad you are able to put a positive perspective on it. I have to admit that I woke up this AM [EST], immediately made for my phone to peak at the results thru bleary eyes and felt disappointed.

But, I have to consider that the US got 3 spots which was actually my biggest wish last Fall, before Nathan hype exploded after Nationals and especially after he defeated Hanyu at 4CCs. I started to buy into that hype, I suppose. I honestly think that the level of competition in men's skating is insanely high and the fact that Nathan can run w/ the big dogs in his first Worlds says a lot about this young man. He is a member of that elite top six right now. But Worlds was a sobering reminder that it's more than reeling off quads and the guys in front of him have the experience to know that, and how to peak for a competition. I am beginning to think that due to inexperience, he may have pushed too hard too soon and failed to peak at exactly the right time. Hopefully, it won't happen again

And congratulations to Jason for the assist, skating some of his best programs ever at Helsinki after being in a boot not too long ago. He also must have felt a lot of pressure too for 3 spots.

And we have a junior world champion a year and a half younger than Nathan who can do 4Z and 4F, as well as some 4S combos.

Lastly, this will push other men in the U.S. not mentioned - Adam, Max, Grant, Ross, and the juniors coming up to push themselves. I'll get over my initial disappointment and say the future looks bright for U.S. men.

ETA - Oops. Forgot about Josh Farris! If he can land quads in a competition like he did in his return practices, he could easily be a force on the World scene.

Last edited:

Pretty Vegas

I am actually surprised I'm so positive too - considering how big of a fan of his I am! :rofl: I guess once I heard about all of his boot issues - I already had tempered my expectations some. I think he did well despite those issues. What I love about Nathan is that he fights. He never gave up during that entire program. And yeah, like you said, he hasn't had the experience of knowing when to peak and the experience of being at a huge event like Worlds. This is also the first season he's gotten through without injury - and certainly the longest season for him. (He mentioned that in one of his post-FS interviews)

It's really a golden age for men's skating and he's certainly still very much in the mix. He had a stellar debut season overall and I hope he's not too disappointed. And yeah, with him and Vincent - the future is briiight.

Spiralgraph

I feel the same way, Olympic. When I got on line this morning Nathan had already skated, so I was disappointed for a few moments. Then I came to my senses, followed the remaining skaters and then realized the main goal, three spots was achieved.
Another learning curve for Nathan and his team. I hope he works on his "artistry" for next season.
And Jason rocks!

jlai

Question everything
I'm disappointed for Nathan, because he still hasn't learned how to save himself for Feb./March. (Remember last year's nationals?)
But, maybe Nathan will now learn he needs a program and quads.

firstflight

I don't know where they got this idea, but I had skating fan friends who thought it was a foregone conclusion that Chen would win worlds. Maybe from the NBC-hype? I had to remind them that this is his first worlds, other skaters can peak at worlds, and that a 5-quad FS at 4CC still wasn't enough to beat Hanyu in a 3-quad FS.

olympic

Three Olympic spots for the U.S. in both Men's and Ladies! Woohoo!

Could someone who is eating crow at the moment please tell me how it tastes? :saint:

I feel weird. I actually predicted the US men would get 3 spots, just in a different manner - Nathan medalling [bronze] and Jason around 9th. I had thought Ten and the Russian men would've driven Jason down more in the standings.

Ladies? I admit that I almost gave up on US ladies. Hope springs eternal, so I won't say that I 100% predicted a loss of spot. I just thought that Ashley would have done better, yet Karen and Mariah would've struggled and there would have been a good chance of losing that 3rd spot.

I don't know where they got this idea, but I had skating fan friends who thought it was a foregone conclusion that Chen would win worlds. Maybe from the NBC-hype? I had to remind them that this is his first worlds, other skaters can peak at worlds, and that a 5-quad FS at 4CC still wasn't enough to beat Hanyu in a 3-quad FS.

For me, I never thought he'd win and per my previous post, I bought into some of the hype. I just thought he'd sneak onto the podium

Firedancer

I'm a little disappointed for Nathan. The boot problems did seem to affect him as he ended up repeating the 4T instead of the 4Lz. But he had a first senior season most people would probably love to have. He has improved tremendously this season and will hopefully spend more time working with Marina on his components this off season.

Most importantly the US has 3 spots for next year! Kudos to Jason for two beautiful programs! Hope he can get past his injuries and stay healthy.

NadineWhite

I just watched Nathan's FS on youtube (he's the only one i've watched since US Nationals, let alone Worlds, lol). And at first i was a tad disappointed when i saw he came in 6th overall, but then when i watched his skate i was very pleased. He went all out going for 6 quads!

My gosh the men are so far ahead of every other discipline it's unbelievable, like light years ahead. You'd think it was the year 2030 instead of only 2017. :)

ps: and yes Congrats for earning 3 spots, but realistically Nathan's the only one (if he stays healthy) with a chance of medalling at the Olympics next year, though we need two men for the Team Event, so that's good.

Yazmeen

All we are saying, is give peace a chance
I don't know what I like more: the fact that we regained 3 spots or commentators like Phil Hersh proven wrong. I am not against Nathan but I did not like all the hype (especially NBC) that he would save US men's skating with all the quads.

Very, very proud of Jason Brown. What incredible result in the midst of the quad frenzy today. I'm not against quads, but I do find his skating and success heartening.

THIS. While I think Nathan is great, I was happy to see that he wasn't ridiculously reward for another gritted teeth quadfest where he was all jumps and almost nothing else. Good to see that the SKATING was also rewarded for Brown, Chan, Hanyu. And happy to see Phil Hersh get knocked on his obnoxious arse for WAY overhyping Chen.

Fiero425

Quite a nice swan song for Misha Ge! Good performance; music (Romeo/Juliet) helped bring :wuzrobbed I was happy he stayed upright & welcomed his pulling back on the jumps! Hard to believe anyone would even attempt to compete w/o a quad, but BROWN's been doing it for years! :saint: :shuffle:

Frida80

Fiero425

I knew something happened. His boots falling apart in the middle of his program? Wow, he is amazing to pull off what he did. One to two months for boots? That's amazingly short. I wonder how other men's skates hold up.

The problem with boots and blades will accelerate with all these quads! You're putting so much strain on both; they have to wear a lot faster than the old days! :duh:

Willin

Considering the boot problems, I'd say Nathan did really well.

Maybe it's me and my concern for skaters' safety, but I wonder if there should be an opportunity for skaters to switch out skates if they are damaged mid-program? I know right now you can take a deduction if you need to pause for some reason, but if there's a legitimate safety concern they should let it slide without a deduction or with only a minimal (1 point?) deduction. To prevent abuse maybe hey should have the skates checked by the skate tech on site to confirm the skates are damaged? It has to be very dangerous to skate a full senior program on broken skates...

Frida80

Maybe it's me and my concern for skaters' safety, but I wonder if there should be an opportunity for skaters to switch out skates if they are damaged mid-program? I know right now you can take a deduction if you need to pause for some reason, but if there's a legitimate safety concern they should let it slide without a deduction or with only a minimal (1 point?) deduction. To prevent abuse maybe hey should have the skates checked by the skate tech on site to confirm the skates are damaged? It has to be very dangerous to skate a full senior program on broken skates...

Remember that time when Mark Ladwig's boot broke in competition and he had to exchange them for a friends pair. I can't believe the rule was for them to continue playing the music while he exchanged skates. They really need to think changing rules like these.

Fiero425

The year I came back to watching competitions was '94 at Lilehammer with Tonya Harding and her broken laces! I can still see her leg up on the wall showing the judges, crying with "that" over-made face! They allowed her to fix it and come back; totally messing up Josee Chouinard who had to run out onto the ice due to interruption! At another competition, maybe it was Europeans, a male skater broke his blades during warmup! I don't know how he got authorization, but they had an exhibit on display and he was allowed to take a blade and used it! ANYBODY? :wall: :rolleyes: :duh:

Skateparent

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...mpaign=usatodaycomolympicscoverage-topstories

Christine Brennan's article. He sounds really disappointed :( But - the details on the boot issues here, yikes :eek:

Wow! From the article, it looks like the first 4T was an improvise to replace a planned 4Lz. I have not watched the video, but it was just amazing that he did that on the fly and landed. That must be so hard, as the steps and entrance of Toe are different...especially if he hadn't practiced that jump at that part of the program. Imagine how fast his mind would have been racing while continuing skating

Frida80

Wow! From the article, it looks like the first 4T was an improvise to replace a planned 4Lz. I have not watched the video, but it was just amazing that he did that on the fly and landed. That must be so hard, as the steps and entrance of Toe are different...especially if he hadn't practiced that jump at that part of the program. Imagine how fast his mind would have been racing while continuing skating

Nathan can think fast on his feet, that's for sure. I'm amazed he pulled off what he did. Hopefully USFS isn't too disappointed with him.

Frida80

The year I came back to watching competitions was '94 at Lilehammer with Tonya Harding and her broken laces! I can still see her leg up on the wall showing the judges, crying with "that" over-made face! They allowed her to fix it and come back; totally messing up Josee Chouinard who had to run out onto the ice due to interruption! At another competition, maybe it was Europeans, a male skater broke his blades during warmup! I don't know how he got authorization, but they had an exhibit on display and he was allowed to take a blade and used it! ANYBODY? :wall: :rolleyes: :duh:

That is sacrilege. Why would you take a piece of history and... I can't...

I think now in most competitions there are skate and blade manufacturers on hand that can sell these things quickly or make over night repairs. Unfortunately Nathan's skates were beyond repair by that point.

Pretty Vegas

Nathan can think fast on his feet, that's for sure. I'm amazed he pulled off what he did. Hopefully USFS isn't too disappointed with him.

I am sure they aren't - they managed the three spots and nobody else they would have sent would have placed any better based on what they are all capable of technically.

Allskate

Nathan Chen certainly isn't my favorite skater, but I don't think the hype has been unwarranted. And not just because of his placements at the Grand Prix Final, Nationals, and Four Continents, though I don't think his performances at those events should be discounted. (His score at Four Continents would have been enough for him to medal today. If he had one more nice quad in place of one of those falls today, that probably would have been enough.)

Despite the boot problems today and missing that first quad lutz and despite the fact that there was a lot of hype and pressure and he was at his first Worlds, he had the presence of mind to change the second quad lutz to a quad toe and missed only two jumps today, fighting for everything. I think he is a really good competitor. Today's competition does not change my opinion of that.

And despite his problems today, he still came in fourth in the long program and he beat both Chan and Fernandez in that long program. His performance this week is being called "disappointing" by some, while Jason delivered one of his best performances in his career. Yet Nathan still beat Jason by over 20 points.

I prefer Jason (not to mention Joshua Farris and Adam Rippon) to Nathan. And I think Jason is a very good competitor. But, I definitely think that Nathan is the one that has a real chance of medaling at the next Olympics, and I can't say the same about the other three.

This will be a valuable learning experience for Nathan, especially with regard to boots. He'll improve his presentation over the next year as well. I don't think he'll miss the fact that his PCS is significantly lower than the PCS for Hanyu, Uno, Chan, and Fernandez. He'll work on that. I don't think he has a chance of beating Hanyu when Hanyu performs as brilliantly as he performed today. Hanyu was phenomenal. But Hanyu is not consistent and Olympic ice is particularly slippery. (Hanyu and the other men's medalists in Sochi did not have great performances.) I think Nathan has a real shot at medaling.

Willin

@Frida80 On NBC they said he brought two extra pairs of skates with him. One wonders why he didn't try to use one of those pairs for the FS? Hopefully not all three pairs were that bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information