Chinese Skating News, Pt. 4: Fresh Noodles for Milan 2026

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gris

不做奴才做公民
JGP Selection (virtual competition, FS/FD only)

The result is now official.

JGP entries:

Junior Dance: Yufei Lin / Zijian Gao, Xinyi Yu / Tianyi Liu
Junior Pairs: Yixi Yang / Shunyang Deng
Junior Men: Yudong Chen, Tonghe Tian
Junior Women: Xiangyi An, Jiaying Cheng

Alternates:

Junior Dance: Tong Liu / Quanshuo Ge, Xuantong Li / Xinkang Wang
Junior Men: David Day, Wenbao Han
Junior Women: Mengqi Zhang, Jiaxin Shi

Willin

@raruki I would say the stuff she says about overtraining is pretty physically abusive and harmful to her. That whole interview was horrifying. What came out of her mouth directly contradicts some of what you said - but maybe she lightened up after the backlash or some of the injuries?
Just for reference, things from her mom's mouth in the interview as translated on this reddit thread:
  • Nini's mom decided before she was born that she would be an ice skater
  • She started training Nini for skating at 10 months old (most skaters start at 3 years old - at the youngest)
  • Said training at 10 months old involved holding her upside down, spinning her, and making her stay outside in the cold
  • She said another rink mom reported her for beating Nini and she got mad about it
  • She forced Nini to so 300 3-3 combos in one day, causing an injury - and still believes she needs to train harder
  • She said it doesn't matter if Nini hates skating now, because she'll like it once she's good enough at it
  • She said Nini shouldn't hang out with kids her age because friends are "a waste of time"
  • Nini's Dad is a former figure skater and Nini's coach - he has a bad relationship with Nini's mom, so Nini is caught in the middle
So, yeah, Nini's mom is extremely abusive and nonrepetant about the interview. When she faced backlash from around the world - even in China - her response was basically "Well, Nini likes it and you're hurting her feelings by attacking her!" and "the author is misrepresenting Nini!" When the author said nothing about Nini's feelings and everything about her Mom's. Oh, and her mom didn't say anything about her in the article is false, and the stuff about her is what people are up in arms about.

Along with quotes from wikipedia that sound like the crazy parent edited type of wikipedia page:
  • "An Xiangyi started skating when she was born."
  • "According to Chinese media, An Xiangyi trained 5-6 hours a day, approximately 30 hours a week, which is equivalent to a professional skater's training capacity." (In the Early Years section - so well before she was ready to compete at Junior or Senior)
So I don't care what someone on this forum says about what they see when we have the literal people involved (and other sources) saying stuff that is mighty abusive.

Japanfan

I don't follow Chinese FS that much.

I thought no one had stepped up to take over the pairs program, so am surprised to learn that China has a junior pair.

Willin

@Japanfan As far as I've heard, there's no big head of the program, but some former Chinese pair's skaters are now coaching in China. It seems like they've gone from an actual managed program like they had to the less centralized approach they have for their men/women.

Gris

不做奴才做公民
JGP Ostrava entries:

Tonghe Tian; Jiaying Cheng; Xinyi Yu / Tianyi Liu. No pairs.

Will they send Yang / Deng to back-to-back Gdansk JGPs or nothing at all? :slinkaway

Karen-W

Checking Senior Bs for TES mins...
JGP Ostrava entries:

Tonghe Tian; Jiaying Cheng; Xinyi Yu / Tianyi Liu. No pairs.

Will they send Yang / Deng to back-to-back Gdansk JGPs or nothing at all? :slinkaway
Seems like it would be much cheaper and far easier to send them to the Gdansk JGPs what with travel in and out of China being so difficult still.

On My Own

Zhu is in LA right now (believe she is training with her first coach?).
I must say that I'm very confused how she's keeping up with Beijing University then. Just saw a conversation between chinese skating fans on weibo and decided to ask here...

On My Own

[meh not worth spreading rumours]

Classes can only be taken in person?
IDK, I thought it was the most taxing university in China, seemed unlikely to me that it'd offer online classes even to athletes (let alone participants of figure skating, which has next to no popularity in China...). Someone Chinese should know better than me.

On My Own

You mean the Inter-club League? Yes it's still coming up but will be a virtual competition once again. And the broadcasting time is TBD.
LOL, well. Guess it will be interesting to see who's even in it anymore.

On My Own

I'm confused with what the link has to do with Jin Boyang...
I'm confused as to what the Chinese national team is supposed to be doing. Like why P/J are commentating and Boyang is supposedly in university (at least that's what I understood since someone met him in class or something), and we haven't seen anything of their training, or their programs, unlike with W/L and Zhu.

Karen-W

Checking Senior Bs for TES mins...
I'm confused as to what the Chinese national team is supposed to be doing. Like why P/J are commentating and Boyang is supposedly in university (at least that's what I understood since someone met him in class or something), and we haven't seen anything of their training, or their programs, unlike with W/L and Zhu.
Eh, I don't think that taking the time to commentate for one competition is going to detract from training time for P/J. Do they normally share a lot on their social media of their training?

On My Own

Eh, I don't think that taking the time to commentate for one competition is going to detract from training time for P/J. Do they normally share a lot on their social media of their training?
Well, further, I was confused up until now if they were even training in the same location. Partly this might have been because I like avoiding weibo nowadays because Certain People on it are gross, but last I checked, the Normal People were confused if they were even in the same location for their training. And what the location even was, since the senior national team was disbanded. One of the rumours I'd deleted was that Boyang's been training in a private rink without a coach and is spending his own money for ice time. But IDK and it's a rumour.

On My Own

Anyway, I just barely kept up with what was happening with some of the other chinese skaters. Looks like Peng Zhiming is the upcoming hope for the men (I remember him from 2020 CoC, with his huge 4S). The rest... looks dire.

Last edited:

On My Own

Looks like Peng Zhiming is the upcoming hope for the men (I remember him from 2020 CoC, with his huge 4S).
... And around a day after I said that, his close fans say that something got messed up with the rink management, and they are unsure if this kid can appear in anything this season, including the national championships. Slow clap for team china.

greenapple

Brian Orser told people a couple of months ago that he had been contacted by someone in China about Jin going to Canada to train with him in early September. It will be interesting to see if he actually does go there this time given his last no show.

On My Own

Brian Orser told people a couple of months ago that he had been contacted by someone in China about Jin going to Canada to train with him in early September. It will be interesting to see if he actually does go there this time given his last no show.
Ah, so it is arranged. I don't know why he would contact Orser if he had no intention of going, and why Orser would say "let's wait" if he had declined. Which is why it seems out of his hands, to me. But let's wait with Orser. I'm curious too.

Willin

I wonder if some of the holdup is China's COVID restrictions. I'd imagine Jin will have a heck of a time going back to China for their domestic competitions, and China's skating fed wants to make sure he show up. They seem pretty strict about that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information