Status
Not open for further replies.

NAOTMAA

I just watched it and I think we can be truthful and still have empathy for her.

She looks so much taller and older...did she grow a lot? I am trying to be respectful as possible however it’s really hard to ignore her physical changes which I’m sure has affected her skating. This is a good year as any to go through a growth spurt.

were the doubles on purpose? Or she can’t land the triples? I don’t really follow her so I’m not sure what’s going on.
I don't follow her close enough to know either but everyone's been saying she's injured.

If she is injured then she shouldn't have been there at all, it wasn't important. Unless there is some contract she's under that demands she be but surely injury is a proper excuse to get out of that without penalty

Sylvia

TBD
I don't follow her close enough to know either but everyone's been saying she's injured.
FWIW, I haven't heard that Alysa is injured.

Alysa landed triples in her ISP Points Challenge programs that were filmed in late September (detailed protocols were not made public for any of the participating skaters) as well as in her Japan Open SP & partial FS exhibition performances that were pre-recorded as well.

Her performances in Las Vegas (SP exhibition that was broadcast last week and her upcoming team event FS that will be broadcast on 11/15 by NBC) were both filmed on Monday, Oct. 26, and fans' expectations for the latter are likely to be lowered now, which isn't a bad thing.

NAOTMAA

Well even if she isn't injured she probably is retooling her technique and it's surely easier to do that with doubles first. And the events weren't important so no need for the triples then although I guess some might say at least do them anyway because that's what competition will require and better get use to it.

Sylvia

TBD
Izzo (who has started her freshman year at Harvard) has been replaced by Paige Rydberg at Skate America in the ISU's Oct. 7th update.
This recent Boston Globe article by John Powers includes quotes from Gabriella Izzo, who cited her shoulder surgery back in February as a contributing factor in her decision to withdraw from Skate America:
That was before the coronav*rus upended everything. Izzo’s training rink shut down, reopened, then shut down again. She is taking her first-year [Harvard] classes remotely from her family’s home across the river in Brighton. Last week, Izzo drove to Connecticut to practice and attended a Zoom class from her car in the parking lot. “It’s adaptability,” she said, “and how you can roll with the punches.”
Izzo, the former US junior titlist who was supposed to make her Grand Prix debut at Skate America, withdrew because she felt insufficiently prepared. “Since this is something I’ve worked so hard for I want to be able to do it at my absolute best and when I feel like I’m really well trained,” she said. “Coming back from surgery and C0VID it wouldn’t be the best opportunity.”

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
I just watched it and I think we can be truthful and still have empathy for her.

She looks so much taller and older...did she grow a lot? I am trying to be respectful as possible however it’s really hard to ignore her physical changes which I’m sure has affected her skating. This is a good year as any to go through a growth spurt.

were the doubles on purpose? Or she can’t land the triples? I don’t really follow her so I’m not sure what’s going on.

Alysa’s not injured...and she performed ok triples in the USFS “ISP Points” event that was filmed a couple of weeks before this SkAm exhibition took place. For ISP Points, she wore all-black unitard (or tights/sweater combination)...in Vegas, her LaStrada costume dress with short skirt...so it was more possible to notice natural womanly changes. We won’t have to wait long to see her again in this weekend’s made for TV Team Johnny-Team Tara Challenge, which was also filmed Oct 26 in Vegas. I hope that we may see Alysa’s new LP with costume, even if it’s just double jumps. We know that she’s working up to the next Nationals (also in Vegas!).

ADDITION: I found link to Alysa’s ISP Points Challenge SP, with 3-3 combo, solo 3ple and 2ax. The same YouTuber uploaded the LP, with 3ple combos & gorgeous quick footwork.

The Vegas exhibition was odd. She did so well two weeks earlier at ISP Points.

Last edited:

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
Alysa’s not injured...and she performed ok triples in the USFS “ISP Points” event that was filmed a couple of weeks before this SkAm exhibition took place. For ISP Points, she wore all-black unitard (or tights/sweater combination)...in Vegas, her LaStrada costume dress with short skirt...so it was more possible to notice natural womanly changes. We won’t have to wait long to see her again in this weekend’s made for TV Team Johnny-Team Tara Challenge, which was also filmed Oct 26 in Vegas. I hope that we may see Alysa’s new LP with costume, even if it’s just double jumps. We know that she’s working up to the next Nationals (also in Vegas!).

Do you have a source for your statement that she is not injured?

Sylvia

TBD
Olympic Channel feature on Audrey Shin by Nick McCarvel:
Excerpts:
Both Shin’s parents are Korean, and met in New York. While she was born and grew up in Long Island, she spent part of her childhood in “the big city,” Manhattan, where her father worked.
Her Korean heritage is important to her: She speaks fluent Korean and celebrates Korean New Year each year with a traditional Korean rice cake soup.
“It’s supposed to give you good health for the year,” she said of the meal. “We used to go to my grandma’s house each year for it. ... I feel super lucky to speak another language. I have a lot of Korean friends, and some Korean skaters come to Colorado to train so I can talk with them.”
A dream is to one day go to South Korea, a place she’s never visited.
Shin is training both in-harness (for assistance) and without one on two big technical skills: The triple Axel and quadruple toe. She said both jumps are “getting closer.”
“The quad toe is a quarter-turn short,” she said. “We have to be careful with how many repetitions I’m doing each day so I don’t get hurt.”

Last edited:

NAOTMAA

Considering Alysa is starting early with trying to correct her technique I am somewhat optimistic she can at least retain the general triple jumps although it depends on how her body grows. I am however not as confident about her 3A or quad. She wasn't exactly rock solid on rotating them even when she was tiny and she really depended on that ultra fast rotation more then any technique to get those done.

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
No source that she IS injured.

Also, read Sylvia’s post above, stating the same.

Thanks FM.
I just keep hoping that she IS injured (slightly....like a hangnail). It is such an easy explanation AND uncomplicated fix.

I simply adore her...and wish her the easiest road.

feraina

ADDITION: I found link to Alysa’s ISP Points Challenge SP, with 3-3 combo, solo 3ple and 2ax. The same YouTuber uploaded the LP, with 3ple combos & gorgeous quick footwork.

The Vegas exhibition was odd. She did so well two weeks earlier at ISP Points.
Thank you! From all the chatter I thought she had lost all her triples. She has 3z-3t and 3f-r-3s in the second half, and a 3A attempt at the beginning. Her footwork looks quick and musical, and more effortless than in the past. I’m very pleasantly surprised! If she is attempting 3A then she must be landing a decent percentage in training. Her 3z (and 3f) doesn’t look eeked out. Clearly she’s grown a lot - she’s way ahead in puberty compared to Russian girls even those two years older than her. I’m actually really impressed how little her jumping has deteriorated and how much her skating has actually improved, given her newly gained womanly curves. I do hope she’s working with a good nutritionist.

Maybe the silver lining for her is that she will have had more time to work with her bodily changes than some of the other girls before the Olympics.

Last edited:

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
Thank you! From all the chatter I thought she had lost all her triples. She has 3z-3t and 3f-r-3s in the second half, and a 3A attempt at the beginning. Her footwork looks quick and musical, and more effortless than in the past. I’m very pleasantly surprised! If she is attempting 3A then she must be landing a decent percentage in training. Her 3z (and 3f) doesn’t look eeked out. Clearly she’s grown a lot - she’s way ahead in puberty compared to Russian girls even those two years older than her. I’m actually really impressed how little her jumping has deteriorated and how much her skating has actually impressed, given her newly gained womanly curves. I do hope she’s working with a good nutritionist.

Maybe the silver lining for her is that she will have had more time to work with her bodily changes than some of the other girls before the Olympics.
Exactly. The Vegas exhibition of her new SP is absolutely not indicative of her skills. And I totally agree with you about the wonderful footwork explosion & choreo sequence on her new LP. In fact, that’s what impressed me the most about the new “Storm” LP. The only other US-ladies LP that impresses me as much as Liu’s is Amber Glenn’s...for sheer musicality and oomph.

Sylvia

TBD
This Boston Globe article and photos by Stan Grossfeld includes quotes by Julia Biechler (now skates full-time with MJM) and Gabriella Izzo:
(I could read the full article on my phone.)
Biechler:
“Oh my gosh, in my lifetime I’ve probably fallen hundreds of thousands of times,” she says. “But it’s worth it.
“When you’re at nationals, and it’s a huge, big arena with all the bright lights and everyone’s watching you, it’s definitely nerve-racking. But that feeling of being able to fly a little bit is just what keeps drawing me back.”

Sylvia

TBD
Any news on Ting Cui?
She still can qualify for Nationals if she records and submits a free skate that is judged among the top 9 senior ladies - more info on the virtual qualification process is posted here: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/threads/usfs-qualifying-season-plans.107464/page-4#post-5896499

17 senior ladies currently listed in the ISP and others are vying for 9 Nationals spots:
* = has a bye to 2021 Nationals (9 total)

*Starr Andrews
Maxine Marie Bautista
*Mariah Bell
Julia Biechler
Alena Budko (junior last season)
*Karen Chen
Calista Choi (J3 at Nationals)
Ting Cui
*Amber Glenn
Gracie Gold
Hanna Harrell
Finley Hawk (junior last season)
Courtney Hicks
Rena Ikenishi
Isabelle Inthisone (J4 at Nationals)
Gabriella Izzo
Sarah Jung
*Pooja Kalyan
*Alysa Liu
Paige Rydberg
*Audrey Shin
*Bradie Tennell
*Lindsay Thorngren (J1 at Nationals)
Violeta Ushakova (qualified for Easterns in Senior last season but WD)
Sierra Venetta
Emily Zhang

Other notable Senior ladies who had registered and previously qualified for Nationals in Senior:
Alex Evans (2020)
Caitlin Ha (2020)
Alyssa Rich (2020)
Emilia Murdock (2020 WD)
Heidi Munger (2019)
Kaitlyn Nguyen (2018)

ETA that 5 of the 18 Junior ladies at 2020 Nationals have registered to skate Senior this season -- Thorngren, Choi, Inthisone, plus Mauryn Tyack J14 and Mia Eckels J17.
ETA:

Hanna Harrell is in Boston now (joining her coaches Aleksey Letov & Olga Ganicheva at the SC of Boston): https://www.instagram.com/p/CHT1TN8L1by/

Last edited:

feraina

Exactly. The Vegas exhibition of her new SP is absolutely not indicative of her skills. And I totally agree with you about the wonderful footwork explosion & choreo sequence on her new LP. In fact, that’s what impressed me the most about the new “Storm” LP. The only other US-ladies LP that impresses me as much as Liu’s is Amber Glenn’s...for sheer musicality and oomph.
Yes. Actually I wonder if she is working with a technical coach locally. If not, then I think a bunch of skaters might want to work with lee Barkell remotely, if they’re stuck with no good options locally. I mean Rafal arutunyan did great with Nathan Chen remotely for two years!

Jammers

What is going on with Ting anyways? I know she was injured but that was 14 months ago and we still haven't seen her compete yet. Two lost seasons heading into an Olympic year is not good if she wants to challenge for a spot. If things had worked out differently i think she would have been a real contender to make the Olympic team she had youth and potential on her side and her upside was more then Bradie or Mariah and maybe even Alysa since she was past the growth spurts which are currently giving Alysa problems.

Sylvia

TBD
Audrey Shin article by Phil Hersh:
Excerpts:
She did one tryout with Gambill and then switched to her in August 2018, a month after Gambill had moved from California to The Broadmoor World Arena in Colorado Springs.
“We clicked right away,” Gambill said. “I had seen her in competitions in California, and I knew she had potential, but we needed to fix some technical things on all her jumps. Her air position was very open, her legs were very wrappy, and there were a lot of cheated jumps.”
By January 2019, Shin had made enough progress to rally from sixth after the short program to win the free skate and finish second overall in juniors at the U.S. Championships. But the cyst developing in her foot soon got so large and painful that surgery was recommended. It was done May 24, 2019.
“The cyst was humongous,’’ Gambill said. “I don’t know how she was skating on it.”
“The whole experience of the Youth Olympic Games got me dreaming every day of getting to the Olympic Games,” she said. “I know I can do clean programs. I have all these triple jumps and triple-triple combinations, and looking at the senior ladies in the U.S., there is no reason I can’t make that team. So I’m really trying to push myself every day.”
“I have told her, ‘Why not you?’” Gambill said. “She’s up and coming. She was supposed to be going for the junior world team this season but now she will be trying to be on the senior team.”

Sylvia

TBD
Especially because they are so instagram public
You mean "Instagram story public" ;). FWIW, there was no mention of Camden's girlfriend in his Fan Zone article that was published before Skate America.

Karen skated in the Detroit Tree Lighting show at the Campus Martius ice rink last night (along with Carreira/Ponomarenko): https://www.instagram.com/p/CHlap8yn3c9/
The show will air locally on Friday, Nov. 20 on WXYZ-TV Channel 7 and be streamed via their Facebook page:

ETA that Karen has uploaded her full performance to Josh Groban's "Believe" on her YT channel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9NT4Q_4UTw

This was the first video Karen uploaded back in March 2020 (she thinks she was around 6 years old :)):

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
I've posted a "fluff" article about the friendship among Mariah Bell, her boyfriend Romain & Nathan in this thread: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/threads/meet-“the-trio”.107786/

The Las Vegas Invitational singles team event will air tomorrow (Sunday, Nov. 15) on NBC from 4-6 pm Eastern. The 6 ladies who taped their free skates back on Monday, Oct. 26 were:

Team Tara: Starr Andrews, Audrey Shin (wildcard entry), Bradie Tennell
Team Johnny: Mariah Bell, Karen Chen, Alysa Liu

Sylvia

TBD
Pooja Kalyan article by @clairecloutier:
Excerpts:
Kalyan now hopes to master the triple Axel and quadruple toe loop. First up is the triple Axel. "We're working on it off of the pole harness," Kalyan shared. "It's like a barrier that I had set for myself--breaking beyond those limits into the triple Axel range. I had always dreamed of doing it, but I never put myself to trying it consistently before."
Training in Colorado Springs helps increase her motivation. "It's a lot more competitive," she said. "There are so many Team USA athletes, Olympians, and U.S. champions here. Whenever I see one person landing a great jump or doing a great program, it makes me want to do a program that's just as good, or even better."
"Coming from that [Skate America], I know there are some aspects of my programs that need to be improved," Kalyan commented. "I really need to hone into my spins, maintaining level 4s, as well as my step sequence, increasing my GOE. And ensuring that my transitions are smooth, my skating skills are improving, and my interpretation of the music is better."
She also has ambitious plans off-ice and is currently applying to colleges. When she starts college, Kalyan plans to take the pre-med track, majoring in biology or neuroscience. Her long-term goal is to become a neurosurgeon.

Sylvia

TBD
Gracie Gold, DeMar DeRozan, and Molly Seidel appeared on Sarah Spain's "That's What She Said" podcast discussing mental health.
I've posted the link to listen in the Athlete Mental Health etc. thread: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/th...-discussion-thread.107347/page-2#post-5902232

ETA:

2008 U.S. Junior Ladies champion Alexe Gilles (Piper's twin), who retired after the 2012-13 season and had been touring with Disney On Ice until the p*ndemic struck (she has since begun college coursework), was the first guest in a new podcast hosted by Adam Rippon's mother, Kelly (maybe I should create a new thread for skating-related podcasts?): https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/threads/the-adam-rippon-good-news-thread.90289/page-34#post-5904348

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
In the 3rd round of this year's Aerial FS Challenge jump competition, judges Frank Carroll and Brian Boitano provided their input on Bradie's 3A attempt: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0xPHWn0Bto&t=1h52m31s

Boitano, Scott Hamilton, and the referee commented on Amber's 3A, followed by "mean judge" Audrey Weisiger and Frank Carroll on Isabeau Levito's 4T attempt, and Carol Heiss, Hamilton and Carroll (who previously coached Pooja on her 2A) on Pooja Kalyan's 3A attempt: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0xPHWn0Bto&t=1h54m30s

Thread for this year's virtual competition/link to the Elite singles jump comp. that was streamed this past Friday: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/th...ing-parties-oct-9-nov-13.107556/#post-5904671

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information