USFS announces Alysa Liu's coaching change to Barkell & Nichol in Toronto and Massimo Scali in Oakland, CA

Yazmeen

All we are saying, is give peace a chance
"Massimo Scali and her father informed me that I would no longer be working with her " That sounds very odd. Why can't the dad just pick up the phone and have a conversation with the coach?

I have a feeling her wording there was very deliberate - my impression is that she was simply but politely dismissed without much warning or any discussion.

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
That makes me sad.

I am glad to see her working with an ice dance coach full time, more or less. Her PCS lag behind her competitors so skating skills are a good thing for them to focus on. He's basically her coach, with regular 'camps' in Toronto to work with Lee and Lori.

VGThuy

Since coaching in the U.S. is super individual and paid for individually by the skaters themselves, this isn't feasible, but I wish the USFS would have encouraged Liu to stay with Lipetsky, but also encourage Lipetsky to outsource to various coaches who will work on the things Liu needs (speed, presence, power, skating skills) and also help Lipetsky develop those skills as well so she will be a more viable coach. In other words, I wish there was a way for the Fed to encourage younger (and probably older ones need it as well) coaches to improve as well because they will be the ones developing skaters to represent the USFS. Plus, Lipetsky did do something no other U.S. coach has done, which is get a ladies skater to land a 3A pretty consistently and develop a quad. I think someone like her is worth investing in if she could also learn to emphasis other things that are vital.

giselle23

I am willing to bet that Team Liu looked into working with Raf but obviously he has Bell.

I disagree. I do not think Rafael would have turned down the chance to work with Alysa. Or if he did, it would be because of a parental issue (skate-dad) or because of not wanting to take another coach's student. I don't think Mariah would have anything to do with it.

Erin

Banned Member
"Massimo Scali and her father informed me that I would no longer be working with her " That sounds very odd. Why can't the dad just pick up the phone and have a conversation with the coach?

I think it's pretty common in the US for the new coach of a skater to contact the old coach as a professional courtesy. I'm not a huge fan of this practice, as there have been examples where it has been detrimental to the athlete (e.g. where a new coach won't take a skater on because the old coach encourages them not to).

concorde

I think it's pretty common in the US for the new coach of a skater to contact the old coach as a professional courtesy. I'm not a huge fan of this practice, as there have been examples where it has been detrimental to the athlete (e.g. where a new coach won't take a skater on because the old coach encourages them not to).
Many times a new coach will not take a skater until they have talked with the old coach. I think it is more of ensuring that all bills have been paid.

concorde

I am willing to bet that Team Liu looked into working with Raf but obviously he has Bell.

Unfortunately, Liu is 14 and Bell is 24. There is not much Raf can do with Bell but there is a lot he can do with Liu.
Maybe they looked into Raf and did not like his style. He is pretty rough to put it nicely.

A style that works well for someone in their late teens (or older) may not work well for a 14/15 year old.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
I am not sure if I am remembering correctly but I thought I watched a clip of her training with an outside person, maybe Lori, and that her rink was extremely cold. In fact it was so cold it was mentioned as she removed layers as they went. That seems like a disadvantage to me.
If it's the Oakland rink, it's not that cold. There are two ice surfaces and one side is used for public skating and it's not particularly cold at all. The other side is colder but not crazy so. The rink in Redwood City is much colder.

I wish the USFS would have encouraged Liu to stay with Lipetsky, but also encourage Lipetsky to outsource to various coaches who will work on the things Liu needs (speed, presence, power, skating skills) and also help Lipetsky develop those skills as well so she will be a more viable coach.
Lots of coaches in this area work as a team even if it's somewhat informal. It's not clear to met hat Lipetsky wasn't doing that. Especially since Liu was already working with Scali before.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
"Massimo Scali and her father informed me that I would no longer be working with her " That sounds very odd. Why can't the dad just pick up the phone and have a conversation with the coach? (I am tempted to make Italian mafia jokes. :EVILLE: ) Laura Lipetsky is a classy lady. I guess she would not agree to a shared coaching situation with Barkell, while Scali did.

The line after that from Lipetsky is also interesting: "To not add to her distraction and allow her the opportunity to focus on being the best she can be, I prefer not to comment any further.”

I don't think there's enough information to speculate on who would or wouldn't agree to what, but this doesn't sound like an amicable split.

VGThuy

I guess there was something else going on if Lipetsky was already having Liu go to Scali and then Liu suddenly leaves her for Barkell but kept Scali.

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
Ouch! Old coach not happy. She did not need to make that comment. It just makes her look small and petty.

Who knows why people make the decisions they do...or who did what to whom.
Alyssa's father seems to have done a remarkable guiding his daughter keeping her grounded and managing his entire family.

I think working with an ice dance coach is brilliant. He will do wonders with her basic skills..

bardtoob

Ouch! Old coach not happy. She did not need to make that comment. It just makes her look small and petty.

She doesn't look petty. She is probably sad. Remember, she coached her from kindergarten age to Jr. High age, and now she won't be seeing her anymore.

I bet Alysa is also sad.

I bet Alysa's dad thinks it is a good skating business decision.

I bet this Scali guy is thrilled.

I bet Barkell said yes but is wondering how this is going to work.

Last edited:

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them

Who knows why people make the decisions they do...or who did what to whom.
Alyssa's father seems to have done a remarkable guiding his daughter keeping her grounded and managing his entire family.

I think working with an ice dance coach is brilliant. He will do wonders with her basic skills..

How in the hell do you get that out of reading? From the last few comments I've addressed of yours (first commenting that you agree with the Lutz being worth more than the flip so you're 'happy' with the change- even though it was quite the opposite, then trying to claim Biden was quoted as saying something he didn't say, and now this), I'm convinced you don't read ANYTHING all the way through before chiming in. But you do tell people repeatedly to catch up with the news.

She's stating how she was informed, and she has nothing else to say for now. It's fact doesn't make her look small or petty. Get a grip.. again.

bardtoob

"This Scali guy" is world medalist ice dancer Massimo Scali. He was also part of Marina Zoeuva's team and helped the Shibsibs get back on the World medal podium and then the Olympic one.

Earlier in the thread I thought Alysa was going to be with Barkell in Canada.

Now that I see that is not the case, I am skeptical. Back when Grace Gold left Alex she consider working with Marina and Oleg, because they were at the rink she was using, but ultimately went to Frank because Marina and Oleg admitted that it was best that they were not responsible for her technical development. If they are willing to say that, I have to wonder how another ice dance coach can see to that.

Last edited:

MacMadame

Doing all the things
Remember, she coached her from kindergarten age to Jr. High age, and now she won't be seeing her anymore.
They all skate/teach in Oakland. Lipetsky will see Alyssa constantly.

Which is not to say Lipetsky isn't sad. Maybe she is. But that's not why.

layman

Since coaching in the U.S. is super individual and paid for individually by the skaters themselves, this isn't feasible, but I wish the USFS would have encouraged Liu to stay with Lipetsky, but also encourage Lipetsky to outsource to various coaches who will work on the things Liu needs (speed, presence, power, skating skills) and also help Lipetsky develop those skills as well so she will be a more viable coach. In other words, I wish there was a way for the Fed to encourage younger (and probably older ones need it as well) coaches to improve as well because they will be the ones developing skaters to represent the USFS. Plus, Lipetsky did do something no other U.S. coach has done, which is get a ladies skater to land a 3A pretty consistently and develop a quad. I think someone like her is worth investing in if she could also learn to emphasis other things that are vital.
Lipetsky had been outsourcing to various coaches and choreographers for the past two seasons (that is how Liu ended up going to Canada in the first place).

While I think a coaching change was inevitable at some point, the timing and the arrangement are hard for me to understand. If I have it right, Liu is staying in Oakland and will be working primarily with Massimo Scali in Oakland but will get video advice (and perhaps in person advice at some later date) from Nichol and Barkell?

It's an unusual arrangement to say the least. If Liu is staying in Oakland and was already working with Scali (and Nichol), why not keep Lipetsky as part of the team?

So the biggest (perhaps only) change is that Lipetsky is out...and Lipetsky is the one responsible for Alysa's success up until now. Oh well...Dad knows best.

I just hope that Alysa was really as on-board with this change as the PR would have us believe.

BittyBug

Disgusted
Many times a new coach will not take a skater until they have talked with the old coach. I think it is more of ensuring that all bills have been paid.
The rules may have changed, but at one point it was a PSA requirement, and yes, the primary focus was to ensure that all accounts had been settled. Further, a coach that is not your coach is not even supposed to talk to a skater about lessons unless the skater affirms that they have notified their current coach that they are interested in working with others. Again, this may be old rules, but it was the protocol at one point, to discourage poaching.

layman

That's not usually how the story goes.

I do hope her new coaches can work on some of her technical deficiencies. Her axel technique is whippy and she tends to flutz.
All her jumps are whippy and they need full time attention (and correction). I just don't think a video conference call (coach) is going to be the answer.

Isn't Rudy Galindo in the bay area? He has worked with Alysa before and I like his work with Polina Edmunds. I wonder if he might be available.

Last edited:

MacMadame

Doing all the things
Isn't Rudy Galindo in the bay area? He has worked with Alysa before and I like his work with Polina Edmunds. I wonder if he might be available.
I thought he split his time between the Bay Area and Reno but Wikipedia says I'm wrong. We also have Charlie Tickner and a lot of people go to him for help with jump technique.

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
She doesn't look petty. She is probably sad. Remember, she coached her from kindergarten age to Jr. High age, and now she won't be seeing her anymore.

I bet Alysa is also sad.

I bet Alysa's dad thinks it is a good skating business decision.

I bet this Scali guy is thrilled.

I bet Barkell said yes but is wondering how this is going to work.

I love the way we all makeup what happened and how, who, reacted to it. No disrespect. I did the same thing.

Moving on, no matter how wonderful the next place is or maybe, always leaves some sorrow. Alysa has worked with Barkell before.

Lipetsky is supposed to be a grown-up. Put on your smile, put the nicest spin on it.....then go home, drink a lot of wine, and throw darts at a picture or something.

If looking at the trajectory of where Alysa is now, and where she needs to get to pull decisively ahead of the competition this may be a pretty great path.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
Lipetsky is supposed to be a grown-up. Put on your smile, put the nicest spin on it.....then go home, drink a lot of wine, and throw darts at a picture or something.

She did put a nice spin on it, by refusing to comment further. If she'd said that she was really angry, and said negative things about the skater, the skater's dad, and/or USFS, then you'd be getting on her case about that too :rolleyes:

I don't see why Lipetsky wouldn't be upset. She's been dismissed from working with someone who she's worked with for a long time, and coached to two US championships. Alysia is staying in the same area, so it's not like Lipetsky was dismissed because Alysia was moving somewhere else. That has to hurt at least a little.

And it seems that Lipetsky also sent Alysia to other coaches who had more expertise than her in some areas. So it's not like Lipetsky was hanging on to Alysia and wouldn't let anyone else help with her.

skatfan

I’m sad for Laura who was like a mom to Alysia. And while Massimo can do a lot for her presentation, he can’t for her jumps. Unless she spends some significant time with Barkell (without someone watching out for her?) I don’t see that there’s going to be much technical improvement.

Audrey177

I am glad to see her working with an ice dance coach full time, more or less. Her PCS lag behind her competitors so skating skills are a good thing for them to focus on.
Agree, i cant wait to see her improve pcs. Scali is good and i know from previous interviews that alysa herself wants to improve pcs. good for her being self aware.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information