Canadian Pairs 2018/2019 Season News and Updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bladesonice3792

Yes - I was really looking forward to seeing how they develop. I wonder if we're all wrong and that maybe she's going to skate with Trennt Michaud.... Just thought that I would throw that out there....
What? Why would he ever leave what he has? Justine has never came close to experiencing the success Trennt has had with his current partner and she is constantly injured hence why they always withdraw. From hearing Trennt talk, he thinks the world of EW and is the “only person he wants to enjoy and live this journey with”. I think that says it all

Janef

If Walsh/Michaud split I’m bailing from Canadian Pairs once and for all!
I hear you! There is a real lack of depth in Canada especially in pairs. They need more male skaters like Bardei. They are too hard to find and develop in North America. There must be a lack of financial support here compared to Russia and China. At least that’s how it appears. Too much emphasis on hockey as well.

Mad for Skating

I hear you! There is a real lack of depth in Canada especially in pairs. They need more male skaters like Bardei. They are too hard to find and develop in North America. There must be a lack of financial support here compared to Russia and China. At least that’s how it appears. Too much emphasis on hockey as well.

When in doubt, import Russians!

Janef

Also so disappointed about B/B

Dobre

Walsh & Michaud do face a real challenge as far as height goes. I'm not a fan of dismissing teams due to a lack of height difference, as S&H are clearly a sign that you can overcome said challenge. And also because the jumps have become more significant over the years, and the size of the throws really requires the lady to have a level of strength we often don't see in very tiny athletes. But it is a real challenge that W&M face.

I haven't seen Brasseur even on video for years and when I did she wasn't at a competitive level in juniors so I would be the last person to hypothesize a partner for her, much less to someone who is currently on the podium at Nationals.

I saw Walsh & Michaud live twice this season, though, and do think it's worth acknowledging that they have some big physical challenges on the pairs elements. Going through that transition up to seniors, however, is such a big leap. They had a really tough start at the beginning of the season, and they've come through with some much more solid performances this season. Plus getting loads of experience. So overall, I'd say a net gain for them.

Last edited:

Vase

Anybody have any insight into what the problem is with her jumping? I had heard she landed them in practice. MD and KMT were good singles skaters before switching to pairs. I guess I am just wondering if Lubov had a real jump coach if it would make a difference.

Wasn’t Dylan and Lubov training out of the Cricket, I’m sure they had some good jump lessons there.

Vase

There are always AFTER world splits... I just think that Brasseur has a lot more potential than Walsh.

Brasseur still needs the 3throw doesn’t she?? I’m not sure her age but I am not sure she’d be much smaller then Walsh.

Last edited:

Japanfan

SFAIK, the Chinese and Russians systems could/can choose whether or not a skater would compete in single or pairs (or dance too, I would think). Bin Yao was literally 'thrown' into China's first pairs teams.

Skaters in the west have more of a say as to what discipline they participate in, and who they partner with (if a pair or dance skater) as they are footing the bill themselves.

Last edited:

Colomba

Banned Member
[QUOTE = "Mad for Skating, post: 5543300, member: 71957"] Нам просто нужно получить несколько хороших перебежчиков из Советского Союза, которые бросят все, чтобы приехать сюда😀 [/ QUOTE]

Вы не думали о Кате Александровской?

Mad for Skating

[QUOTE = "Mad for Skating, post: 5543300, member: 71957"] Нам просто нужно получить несколько хороших перебежчиков из Советского Союза, которые бросят все, чтобы приехать сюда😀 [/ QUOTE]

Вы не думали о Кате Александровской?

It’s a good thing I can read some Russian 😂 Katia Alexandrovskaya is awesome!

Colonel Green

How does he stay in Canada though without a partner and sponsor?
Unless there's something really nasty behind the split (or else he spontaneously decided to return to the Ukraine), I expect his coaches would probably try to find him a new partner, since he's super-talented and there's lots of wannabe pair girls available.

I understand what you’re saying but let’s be realistic. She is too tall for him!
They don't have an ideal height difference, but that's something you can work through, though it makes it difficult to get to the very, very top.

Vase

If Walsh/Michaud split I’m bailing from Canadian Pairs once and for all!

I am hoping Junior teams get paired up well this year, so we can start to develop the Senior field.
MTM and W/M are what we have this year and they are both capable of pulling off some great skates at Worlds-let’s hope they do.
I am not as hopeful for our Junior Teams and what will do at Junior worlds.

Rafter

Unless there's something really nasty behind the split (or else he spontaneously decided to return to the Ukraine), I expect his coaches would probably try to find him a new partner, since he's super-talented and there's lots of wannabe pair girls available.

There are? A lot of wannabe pair girls available? That’s news to me. Cannot think of one girl in Canada who Bardei could skate with other than Chloe Choinard.

Unless he finds a girl from singles and works with her to get the pairs elements.

Does anyone know if Skate Canada had to pay $$$$ to the Ukrainian fed for his release?

They don't have an ideal height difference, but that's something you can work through, though it makes it difficult to get to the very, very top.

Walsh and Michaud do not have a good twist. It comes crashing down on his shoulder. The lack of height difference will always be a problem.

Janef

We’ll just have to get some good ol’ defectors from the Soviet Union who would give up everything to come here😀
There are? A lot of wannabe pair girls available? That’s news to me. Cannot think of one girl in Canada who Bardei could skate with other than Chloe Choinard.

Unless he finds a girl from singles and works with her to get the pairs elements.

Does anyone know if Skate Canada had to pay $$$$ to the Ukrainian fed for his release?

Walsh and Michaud do not have a good twist. It comes crashing down on his shoulder. The lack of height difference will always be a problem.
I think nationals was the best they can be based on limitations

Janef

SFAIK, the Chinese and Russians systems could/can choose whether or not a skater would compete in single or pairs (or dance too, I would think). Bin Yao was literally 'thrown' into China's first pairs teams.

Skaters in the west have more of a say as to what discipline they participate in, and who they partner with (if a pair or dance skater) as they are footing the bill themselves.
Yes. When you see the Russian juniors better than our seniors teams. It’s kind of embarrassing. North America in general has a long way to go to match this level (training/funds)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information