Canadian Pairs 2018/2019 Season News and Updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sylvia

TBD
Last year 7 senior pairs competed at Nationals. There are 9 junior pairs listed to compete this year (9 competed last year) and 10 novice pairs (11 last year).

shutterbug

Web article on Paige Lawerence from CBC's "Player's Own Voice" series": Small-town kids can make it big, too
In 2005, Patty, Rudi and I decided we wanted to try pairs figure skating. None of us had much — or any — pairs experience, but that didn’t stop us. We had no idea what we were doing but we knew this was something we wanted to do. Rather than dwelling on all the reasons why the pairs plan wouldn’t fly, we focused on how we could make it work.
Also, the podcast of Anastasia Bucsis's interview with Paige: https://podcast-a.akamaihd.net/mp3/podcasts/playersownvoice-3wx8MLwW-20181217.mp3

puglover

Thanks for sharing - they were really a delightful team. I always loved Paige's "safety 3rd" motto. I have a daughter who rides and does some rodeo and that is likely her motto too, although she wouldn't dare tell me.

starrynight

Given that I think Bilodeau’s best programs with Seguin were the Cirque du Soleil short and the Grand Budapest Hotel short, I think that would be a good idea for multiple reasons.

These were great programs.

Agree. My concern (fear?) is that if they train with Bruno or Richard they could get sucked into the vortex of Julie Marcotte power ballads and french best-ofs.

While those stylings have their place for sure, a steady dose of that style would do a disservice to their possible range. Crossing my fingers they engage in some healthy stylistic exploration.

Seguin/Bilodeau’s break out program to ‘In Your Eyes’ was incredible but their free programs then became very similar in terms of emotions and musical choices for the rest of the quad. Not that it matters so much in pairs as in dance in my opinion and injuries probably meant that big changes were not a possibility.

If I was packaging Charlie and Lubov though, I would not try to go for a standard romantic connection package. Big, athletic, dramatic, quirky and fun would be my choice.

Sylvia

TBD
Thank you for posting, @shutterbug! Even though Paige Lawrence didn't get the "fairytale ending" to her skating career, she sounds like she has come to terms with it in the years that have passed since 2014 and truly is able to appreciate just how much she achieved as a skater coming from a rural part of Canada. From her IG - she is engaged to be married to a rodeo competitor later this year and this was the cute photo she posted on Xmas Day: https://www.instagram.com/p/Br0t2t7HOkA/

ETA: https://www.cbc.ca/sports/figure-skater-paige-lawrence-fell-for-a-cowboy-1.4751002
:D

Last edited:

Mad for Skating

Given that I think Bilodeau’s best programs with Seguin were the Cirque du Soleil short and the Grand Budapest Hotel short, I think that would be a good idea for multiple reasons.

I think this would be beautiful! They could work wonders with it!

I also loved S/B’s Olympic season FS to “Where’s My Love” - I think Lubov’s arm movements would’ve been a dream in that beautiful floating style.

I loved Lubov's drama and fierceness in the Tango short she did...She can do characters very well...I would like to see Shae LYn Bourne do something with them. Also Lance Vipond or Rohen Ward.

The first time I saw Lubov in that tango short, I fell in love. She was so sharp, so quick, and they actually did most of the step sequence in hold (which is much harder). You could really tell she loved that program and was the star. She is a goddess.

Dobre

Seguin/Bilodeau’s break out program to ‘In Your Eyes’ was incredible but their free programs then became very similar in terms of emotions and musical choices for the rest of the quad.

At least two of those free programs were done by Marie-France so it wouldn't be fair to say this issue was due to Julie Marcotte.

I think I probably like S&B's SP from last season the best of all of the competitive programs they performed. I also thought the exhibition that they performed at SA in 2016-17 suited their on-ice personalities well.

puglover

This is starting to feel weird. Surely Charlie and team know that fairly reliable sources have named Lubov. He seems to have indicated that he would be back in competitive mode with another partner soon. It ended so abruptly with Julianne that we don't seem to know whether to look forward to Charlie with ______ or back with Julianne.

RoseRed

At least two of those free programs were done by Marie-France so it wouldn't be fair to say this issue was due to Julie Marcotte.

I think I probably like S&B's SP from last season the best of all of the competitive programs they performed. I also thought the exhibition that they performed at SA in 2016-17 suited their on-ice personalities well.
S/B didn't train with Bruno and Richard, so Julie wasn't involved at all. The comment about Julie was based on what she's done with other Montreal pairs teams since the rumours were that Charlie and Lubov would train with Bruno and Richard.

dramagrrl

I don't really get the multiple posts about Lubov's artistic range and ability to "act" on ice. One of my big problems with I/M was that no matter what type of music they skated to, she just smiled beatifically through it. That's why, IMO, their most well-received program was generic romantic schlock (Josh Groban LP) and they were not able to pull off the Sandra Bezic material that needed sexier and darker expression.

chantilly

^ She was charismatic and had good chemistry with Dylan but yeah pretty much agree with this.

Sorry not down for this pairing at all. Think it’s so wrong for him and she’s not just going to be able to become a great jumper.

starrynight

The question is if Bilodeau isn’t going to try to bring in a foreign partner, who else in Canada is there? Unless he wants to teach a Canadian singles girl pairs from scratch.

dramagrrl

^ She was charismatic and had good chemistry with Dylan but yeah pretty much agree with this.
I agree that she is definitely charismatic; my point was just that despite the charisma, I don't think she is very good at versatile expression or "acting"/playing characters on ice. I think her expressiveness comes more from the way she is able to move her body, not from her ability to take on different styles with facial expression, different ways of interacting with a partner and "acting" on ice.

barbarafan

I agree that she is definitely charismatic; my point was just that despite the charisma, I don't think she is very good at versatile expression or "acting"/playing characters on ice. I think her expressiveness comes more from the way she is able to move her body, not from her ability to take on different styles with facial expression, different ways of interacting with a partner and "acting" on ice.

Totally disagree with this

chantilly

The question is if Bilodeau isn’t going to try to bring in a foreign partner, who else in Canada is there? Unless he wants to teach a Canadian singles girl pairs from scratch.
I totally agree. I’m beginning to think he made a huge mistake leaving Julianne. I don’t begrudge him that he felt he needed to leave but he certainly seemed to misjudge the prospects available to him. He probably only has one cycle left in him due to both his age and the technical development of the pairs coming up.

Tesla

Whippet Good
I totally agree. I’m beginning to think he made a huge mistake leaving Julianne. I don’t begrudge him that he felt he needed to leave but he certainly seemed to misjudge the prospects available to him. He probably only has one cycle left in him due to both his age and the technical development of the pairs coming up.
Unless Julianne has medical issues that he doesn't want to be responsible for. If she's prone to concussions, he might not want to contribute to her risking her health.

Andora

Skating season ends as baseball season begins
Unless Julianne has medical issues that he doesn't want to be responsible for. If she's prone to concussions, he might not want to contribute to her risking her health.

I know it's popular to think the worst of Charlie on this split, but this has been part of my interpretation for a bit. Not the only factor, because he's an experienced pair skater, but I have no doubt it contributed. Julianne never blamed Charlie for her injuries (nor he blame her for his), but maybe he felt he was more culpable, and it was too hard to train around.

Rock2

Caution.

We don't know why they broke up but I can feel pretty confident in saying it's not as simple as 'I think there's better out there for me....so....bye'. The partnership wasn't working, regardless of who else was out here, and we don't have the details. Where it seems he might have failed was in communication, but the rest is up in the air.

Also, what do you mean by 'technical development'? From a technical difficulty perspective, the discipline is mostly regressing from last cycle, favoring quality over difficulty. Ideal conditions for Lubov to return....and to consider two cycles if things go well.

chantilly

Caution.

We don't know why they broke up but I can feel pretty confident in saying it's not as simple as 'I think there's better out there for me....so....bye'. The partnership wasn't working, regardless of who else was out here, and we don't have the details. Where it seems he might have failed was in communication, but the rest is up in the air.

Also, what do you mean by 'technical development'? From a technical difficulty perspective, the discipline is mostly regressing from last cycle, favoring quality over difficulty. Ideal conditions for Lubov to return....and to consider two cycles if things go well.
True. None of us know why he left the partnership, and I admit I forgot to consider the pressure that multiple concussions may have played a part in Charlie’s decision. My main point is that he seemed pretty confident in his initial statements that in leaving the partnership that he had prospects to be on a podium very soon. And so far that isn’t panning out or seeming too.

I was one of Charlie’s defenders in his choice to leave a partnership he wasn’t invested in. My point is that in leaving Julianne, it seems he left behind the best prospect in pairs skating.

As for technical, aren’t one of the Russian teams doing flips. And some teams are attempting loops. And I feel pretty confident that we may see some quad twists/ quad throw attempts coming up between Russian T and M and French J and C, not to mention Sui and Han.

As for Lubov, she couldn’t consistently land a toe, so my argument still stands. Despite the new rules, if you can’t do a toe you’ll not likely hit top ten.

Dobre

He probably only has one cycle left in him due to both his age and the technical development of the pairs coming up.

I don't know where he'll find a Canadian lady that can jump as well as Julianne; but this seems like a strange assumption considering the longevity of many of the best pairs skaters of the current era.

Last edited:

chantilly

I don't know where he'll find a Canadian lady that can jump as well as Julianne; but this seems like an strange assumption considering the longevity of many of the best pairs skaters of the current era.
Could you clarify?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information