Let's Talk Movies #35 – Sparrows and Panthers and Dinosaurs…Oh My!

Which Movies Might You See? (Multiple Votes Allowed)

• Feb. 16th - Black Panther – Action adventure with Chadwick Boseman, Michael B. Jordan and Lupita Nyo

Votes: 32 60.4%
  • March 2nd - Red Sparrow – Mystery thriller with Jennifer Lawrence, Joel Edgerton and Mary-Louise Pa

Votes: 15 28.3%
  • March 9th - A Wrinkle In Time – Adventure fantasy with Reese Witherspoon, Chris Pine and Oprah Winfr

Votes: 26 49.1%
  • March 16th - Tomb Raider – Action adventure with Alicia Vikander, Walton Goggins and Kristin Scott T

Votes: 10 18.9%
  • March 30th – Ready Player One – Sci-fi adventure with Tye Sheridan, Olivia Cooke and Simon Pegg

Votes: 10 18.9%
  • May 4th - Avengers: Infinity War – Adventure fantasy with nobody famous

Votes: 27 50.9%
  • May 18th - Deadpool 2 – Adventure comedy with Ryan Reynolds, Josh Brolin and T. J. Miller

Votes: 19 35.8%
  • May 25th - Solo: A Star Wars Story – Adventure fantsy with Alden Ehrenreich, Donald Glover and Woody

Votes: 27 50.9%
  • June 8th - Ocean's 8 – Action thriller with Sandra Bullock, Cate Blanchett and Anne Hathaway

Votes: 24 45.3%
  • June 22nd - Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom – Action sci-fi with Chris Pratt, Bryce Dallas Howard and

Votes: 22 41.5%

• Total voters

mjb52

The Endless is one of those types of movies you can't really talk about because pretty much anything you focus on will spoil the movie for others in some way. I can say that while it's classified as sci-fi, it's also a family drama of two brothers. And it's very interesting as both those genres, perhaps a little too complex for the average viewer though. Nobody is famous in this, but it's well-reviewed (94% at rotten tomatoes) and was selected to be part of the Tribeca Film Festival.

Trailer for The Endless: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ur8UgpvRPXU

I've been thinking about watching this for ages! I will take this as encouragement and get to it fairly soon!

watchthis!!

So has anybody else ended up watching a movie that could maybe be categorized as pre-metoo? I've borrowed older movies on DVD, so I've seen film previews with the Weinstein Company logo prominently displayed. And I picked up a copy of Father of Invention at the library, which stars Kevin Spacey. Am I a bad movie fan for not putting this title back on the shelf? Well, maybe I should have because it's not a great movie. It's fine, but there's (dare I say it???) better Kevin Spacey movies out there. In this one, he plays an inventor who goes to jail (hmm....) because one of his inventions isn't designed quite right and ends up physically harming some people. When he gets out of jail, he has to try to re-connect with his daughter, who he doesn't realize feels he was never there for her in the first place. Camilla Belle plays his daughter and Heather Graham, her roommate. In smaller roles are Craig Robinson, Johnny Knowville, Virginia Madsen and John Stamos.

Trailer for Father of Invetion: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbtYfQopttE

Jay42

Between the click of the light
I mean I love Baby Driver and Kevin Spacey's involvement isn't going to stop me from enjoying it. I think it's more about making informed decisions. But honestly, if we dropped everything with a possibly problematic actor so much of Old Hollywood would have to be dropped. Also, if you're watching the movie for free it's not like you're supporting the work of a harasser. Or in the case of Old Hollywood movies, most of the people involved are dead (Errol Flynn is a big example of this.)

Some people prefer to drop everything involving anyone who's been revealed as a harasser, and I understand that. There's definitely some things I avoid because of who's involved in them, I refuse to watch Tom Cruise movies, for instance. However I am not willing to drop Supergirl, one of my favourite TV shows, because Andrew Kreisberg, who was fired for sexually harassing writers of both The Flash & Supergirl when he was showrunning season 2 and the first part of season 3 of Supergirl and The Flash.

There's a lot of factors that go into making the things we watch, so do I personally choose not to watch Supergirl because Andrew Kreisberg was a horrible human who nearly ruined my favourite show? (Season 2 was so, so bad.) Or do I continue watching it because I love the characters, the actors and while the show frequently tries to do too many things at once, the new showrunners are pretty solid and the writers the survived the scourge of Kreisberg are pretty great too.

Sorry, Supergirl's my best example. The only other fandom I've been more active in than figure skating is Supergirl.

emason

There is no such thing as watching a movie for free: you paid to see it in a theater, you paid for cable tv or a streaming service, a friend bought the DVD you are watching at her house, etc, etc. Somewhere, somehow money was exchanged.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
Some people prefer to drop everything involving anyone who's been revealed as a harasser, and I understand that. There's definitely some things I avoid because of who's involved in them, I refuse to watch Tom Cruise movies, for instance. However I am not willing to drop Supergirl, one of my favourite TV shows, because Andrew Kreisberg, who was fired for sexually harassing writers of both The Flash & Supergirl when he was showrunning season 2 and the first part of season 3 of Supergirl and The Flash.
Why would you stop watching episodes that he had no involvement in? I don't think this example makes sense. The equivalent to the Kevin Spacey example would be not watching Season 2 and parts of 3 again -- not watching anything he was showrunner on.

Jay42

Between the click of the light
Why would you stop watching episodes that he had no involvement in? I don't think this example makes sense. The equivalent to the Kevin Spacey example would be not watching Season 2 and parts of 3 again -- not watching anything he was showrunner on.
Because there are people who dropped the show entirely because Kreisberg was once involved.

Ultimately though there are a lot of things to consider, do I, for instance, refuse to watch Baby Driver again because Kevin Spacey is in it? Or do I look at the hard work of everyone else who is in the movie and watch it anyway? There are a lot of people that go into making a movie so do I refuse to support a movie with other actors I like, by one of my favourite modern directors, because it has Kevin Spacey in it who has a relatively small, but pivotal role? If we refuse to watch things because the people involved might be horrible humans will there be anything left? Especially since this is Hollywood we're talking about, who knows the secrets that haven't been uncovered?

MacMadame

Doing all the things
Because there are people who dropped the show entirely because Kreisberg was once involved.
Or said they'd do that on social media at the height of the outrage but didn't follow through. Unless they were tired of the show and not going to watch it anymore anyway. ;)

Ultimately though there are a lot of things to consider
I think this is one of those areas where it's not going to be a rational decision at least not 100% of the time.

Sure, we can rationalize our viewing after the fact but the reality is that our decision is going to be made based on (a) how important the offense is to us and (2) what our emotional reaction is to the person you want to boycott/not support in the role they are playing in that particular vehicle.

If just seeing Spacey's face on-screen is going to make you want to hurl and ruin your enjoyment of a film, then you aren't going to watch it no matter what you think intellectually about the situation.

VGThuy

I'm saving Madeline's Madeline for this weekend and decided to watch Private Life on Netflix. It's definitely a Tamara Jenkins film. You feel exhausted after watching Kathryn Hahn and Paul Giamatti play a couple who seem obsessed with trying to have a child in their mid-to-late 40s.

watchthis!!

I mean I love Baby Driver and Kevin Spacey's involvement isn't going to stop me from enjoying it.

Well, perhaps my post will keep people from seeing Father Of Invention. But nobody should skip Baby Driver! :rofl:

There is no such thing as watching a movie for free: you paid to see it in a theater, you paid for cable tv or a streaming service, a friend bought the DVD you are watching at her house, etc, etc. Somewhere, somehow money was exchanged.

How about off the shelf of the library? :)

Japanfan

Sure, we can rationalize our viewing after the fact but the reality is that our decision is going to be made based on (a) how important the offense is to us and (2) what our emotional reaction is to the person you want to boycott/not support in the role they are playing in that particular vehicle.

If just seeing Spacey's face on-screen is going to make you want to hurl and ruin your enjoyment of a film, then you aren't going to watch it no matter what you think intellectually about the situation.

TBH if I had not seen the last season of House of Cards, I would probably still watch it despite Spacey being in it.
There are not a lot of series that are as brilliant as House of Cards, and there are some actors in it who are great, not only Spacey. Robin Wright in particular - she carries the series for me, and I would not have wanted to miss her work last season, which was even more brilliant than in the previous seasons.

Basically, I can be selfish about my entertainment choices.

That said, I'd be unlikely to rewatch any films with Space in them again (last year I rewatched American Beauty and The Usual Suspects).

Speaking of someone who makes me want to hurl, it's Woody Allen. It's worst when he is actually in the films he directs, but not much better when his rich actors sit around in their wealthy summer homes pondering the angst of life.

I doubt I will ever watch an Allen film again.

mrr50

I saw Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindewald. There seems to be a lot of upset over plot holes. I enjoyed the movie and have decided to just trust Rowling. It is her universe.

VALuvsMKwan

Codger level achieved
TBH if I had not seen the last season of House of Cards, I would probably still watch it despite Spacey being in it.
There are not a lot of series that are as brilliant as House of Cards, and there are some actors in it who are great, not only Spacey. Robin Wright in particular - she carries the series for me, and I would not have wanted to miss her work last season, which was even more brilliant than in the previous seasons.

Basically, I can be selfish about my entertainment choices.

That said, I'd be unlikely to rewatch any films with Space in them again (last year I rewatched American Beauty and The Usual Suspects).

Speaking of someone who makes me want to hurl, it's Woody Allen. It's worst when he is actually in the films he directs, but not much better when his rich actors sit around in their wealthy summer homes pondering the angst of life.

I doubt I will ever watch an Allen film again.

I adore Cate Blanchett, but I was highly disappointed when I found that she had chosen to act in one of his films, even if she was awarded the US Oscar for Best Actress for it (among other awards).

VGThuy

Here's a great montage of the year in film put together by Indiewire critic David Ehrlich :

https://vimeo.com/304064569

I look forward to his montages every year. It's not every movie or even every blockbuster that is included by his personal faves of the year or movies he wanted to include in the montage. It's usually his personal 25 favorite films of the year.

watchthis!!

I don't normally watch foreign language movies, but I had heard good things about The Handmaiden, so I gave it a go. I was blown away! It's a period piece drama from Korea and it's one of those movies you can't really talk about it, or risk the experience for those you hope will see it. I consider it a must-see movie. All I will say is that it's about two people who try to dupe a young woman out of her inheritance. Things do not go according to plan. The three lead actors are all amazing and deserve tons of recognition for their performances.

Trailer for The Handmaiden: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKpZLtt4Ctg

LeafOnTheWind

I've had The Handmaiden on my list but haven't gotten around to it. I think @VIETgrlTerifa had recommended it earlier. I've only heard good things about it so I need to get around to watching it. The trouble is time to read a movie instead of cleaning and cooking while listening. :)

VGThuy

Saw Support the Girls tonight and I loved it. It sort of reminded me of my food services days except I was never a Hooters (or Hooters knock-off) waitress. My mom was a waitress for like 15+ years and a lot of my family are in food service and it just brought out a lot of memories dealing with that environment. Regina Hall was really noteworthy and when the story got more serious (surprisingly) I thought she was incredible. Haley Lu Richardson got some great notices too but I loved Shayna McHale's performance as Daynelle.

Last edited:

VGThuy

Just finished Madeline's Madeline and wow. I can't really find the right word for it right now as I just finished it like 2 minutes ago. I guess the closest words to describe it are "surreal" and "visceral". This to me is a movie that makes me believe in cinema again as its own separate high artform apart from television and theatre. Truly experimental, confounding, and rewarding. Twenty-year-old Helena Howard in her screen debut is truly the future of American acting and I want to see her in everything. She gave the best screen performance I'm seen in years and it's so free of mannerisms and self-consciousness. She has the real skill, unspeakable talent, presence to really be an actress of the next generation and I don't say that lightly. Molly Parker as her theatre director is a stand-out and really incredible and Miranda July as her mother plays her role to the fullest. I highly recommend it, but I know it won't be for everyone.

smurfy

I saw ‘The Front Runner’. It is very good, but not great.
There are scenes with either lots of political staff or reporters and those scenes are awesome.
Jackman is very good, but the scenes with him in the beginning part dragged and was much better in later scenes.
I never got the hype of Gary Hart, and this movie as characters say how brilliant he was politically, show him to be clueless in some ways.
My favorite parts were the ensembles and seeing the process. Story was told well.
JK Simmons was awesome as was the whole supporting cast. He has one scene explaining a conversation with Hart and Warren Beatty that sums up Hart’s weaknesses.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
I saw The Front Runner today. It fell flat, IMO. As a political junkie, I was very interested in this story. The movie started well, but fell off somewhere. The campaign discussions and atmosphere were well done but the story itself felt flat and disjointed. The saving grace is the acting by Hugh Jackman, Vera Farmiga, and JK Simmons. The smaller roles were well done too.

To me it felt like the movie lacked the intensity. This is a fascinating story in real life. It seemed like Hart was the victim of dirty politics in real life but in the movie he was a victim of his own actions. He had the potential to become Potus, and a good one. I did not know that he was a womanizer. In that sense he had a lot in common with at least two US presidents. Had he not quit, may be he could have beaten Bush, but the press was aggressive and seemed to destroy him.

So what was the point of this movie? I had expected to see the story of Hart's presidential run which abruptly ended. The producers wanted to show something else, apparently.

Show how the media destroyed a handsome, talented politician? They did but was it all fault of the media?

Show the tragedy of Gary Hart? It really was a tragedy, but it didn't feel that way. I just felt neutral. It was not presented very well and it lacked impact.

They showed the boat Monkey Business fairly early in the movie but left everything to guesswork. What came out later in reality was an evil scheme by the republicans that ended Hart's career. As a movie the writers have a lot if freedom to create an intense story that flows. That was not the case. The movie dragged, although there were some good scenes.

Did they want to Show Hart, the man who could not understand politics? He said his private life was his business. That is not the case, and in one scene Simmons's character alludes to how politics have changed and character does matter, and there is no privacy.

The cinematography was so so, and it impacted the movie negatively, but IMO the real problem was the way the story was told. Not very effectively. I had really looked forward to this movie but I was disappoined. 6/10. For once I agreed with the critics.

I thought the way Rachel Maddow told the story of how and why Hart was driven out of the 1988 elections by the republicans was very effective.

Last edited:

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
December 7 is the 25th Anniversary of Schindlers list. Our local theatres are going to show the movie. I will be in Canada on Dec. 7th, so I am hoping that it wont be just one show or one day. I hope to see it on the 10th if it is still running. I have only seen it on TV, and would love to see it on the big screen.

annie720

Just saw the Japanese film The Shoplifters. Very interesting, multi-layered film. Wasn't sure what was going on for a while, and the subtitles didn't seem the best, but it picked up speed later and had some very good twists. Ended up liking it a lot and it provides good fodder for discussion.

watchthis!!

Two kinda cheesy movies, fun but not to be taken too seriously.

The Pyramid is kind of a cross between thriller, supernatural and horror. A three-sided pyramid is discovered buried in Egypt and team of three archeologists find a way to go inside. (Why would more than three archeologists be needed?) There's also two others who are part of a documentary crew. This is one of those movies where you yell at the screen, like in a standard horror movie where you scream, "don't go in the basement". :D

Trailer for The Pyramid: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zq8Nw84krbY

Traffik is a bit more serious, at least in theme, if not in how it's been made. A couple go on a weekend excursion and two of their friends show up as well. The first couple had a run-in with some bikers at a gas station and they show up late at night. Ends up they are part of a trafficking ring for women being sold into sexual slavery. So the topic is serious, but this movie has a lot of thriller cliche's that make it kind of silly (but fun) in spite of the theme of the movie. I guess the writer wanted to make people aware of something serious that's happening, but delivering the information in an easily digestible way.

Trailer for Traffik: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oz-XiYNCo7o

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Just saw the Japanese film The Shoplifters. Very interesting, multi-layered film. Wasn't sure what was going on for a while, and the subtitles didn't seem the best, but it picked up speed later and had some very good twists. Ended up liking it a lot and it provides good fodder for discussion.

I saw it during the Scottsdale International film festival and liked it a lot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information