Let's Talk Movies #35 – Sparrows and Panthers and Dinosaurs…Oh My!

Which Movies Might You See? (Multiple Votes Allowed)

• Feb. 16th - Black Panther – Action adventure with Chadwick Boseman, Michael B. Jordan and Lupita Nyo

Votes: 32 60.4%
  • March 2nd - Red Sparrow – Mystery thriller with Jennifer Lawrence, Joel Edgerton and Mary-Louise Pa

Votes: 15 28.3%
  • March 9th - A Wrinkle In Time – Adventure fantasy with Reese Witherspoon, Chris Pine and Oprah Winfr

Votes: 26 49.1%
  • March 16th - Tomb Raider – Action adventure with Alicia Vikander, Walton Goggins and Kristin Scott T

Votes: 10 18.9%
  • March 30th – Ready Player One – Sci-fi adventure with Tye Sheridan, Olivia Cooke and Simon Pegg

Votes: 10 18.9%
  • May 4th - Avengers: Infinity War – Adventure fantasy with nobody famous

Votes: 27 50.9%
  • May 18th - Deadpool 2 – Adventure comedy with Ryan Reynolds, Josh Brolin and T. J. Miller

Votes: 19 35.8%
  • May 25th - Solo: A Star Wars Story – Adventure fantsy with Alden Ehrenreich, Donald Glover and Woody

Votes: 27 50.9%
  • June 8th - Ocean's 8 – Action thriller with Sandra Bullock, Cate Blanchett and Anne Hathaway

Votes: 24 45.3%
  • June 22nd - Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom – Action sci-fi with Chris Pratt, Bryce Dallas Howard and

Votes: 22 41.5%

• Total voters

Yehudi

AITA
I was a Transformers fan as a kid but never liked the movies. However, Michael Bay is gone and the fantastic Travis Knight is in as director. And bumblebee is a beetle!

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
December 7 is the 25th Anniversary of Schindlers list. Our local theatres are going to show the movie. I will be in Canada on Dec. 7th, so I am hoping that it wont be just one show or one day. I hope to see it on the 10th if it is still running. I have only seen it on TV, and would love to see it on the big screen.

Just got back from Vancouver and one of the first things I did was to see if Schinder’s List is still running in that theatre. Yes, it is! I am going to see it tomorrow. Other movies can wait. I plan on seeing Green Book later this coming week.

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter
Haven't been around here much because of new house and Australian Nationals last week, but over the weekend I watched a Netflix movie called Dumplin'.

It stars Jennifer Aniston and Danielle McDonald who I had never heard of. Story of a larger girl who decides to enter a beauty pageant that her mum runs. I enjoyed it and the performances in it.

When I checked IMBD I saw that Danielle McDonald is Australian. The next day I was talking to someone who is actually a friend of hers and did drama school with her. Small world. Anyway I told her to pass on a message that enjoyed the movie and I really liked her in the principal role.

watchthis!!

I was really looking forward to It Comes At Night. But instead of it being a scary thriller, it was really an art film pretending to be something worth watching. :( It's one of those movies that when it's over, you have to go to google to find out what actually happened. Even the title I had to google as I was thinking, "why is it even called that"?

Trailer for It Comes At Night: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YOYHCBQn9g

annie720

Just saw Green Book and I loved everything about it! It's probably my favorite movie of the year. Kudos to everyone involved because it was great all around.
I also saw my first preview for Mary Poppins Returns. It's so nice that Dick Van Dyke is still around to be a part.

Last edited:

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Just got back from Vancouver and one of the first things I did was to see if Schindler’s List is still running in that theatre. Yes, it is! I am going to see it tomorrow. Other movies can wait. I plan on seeing Green Book later this coming week.

Just got back from seeing Schindler's list. Totally awesome on the big screen. It was very good on my tv screen too. Brilliant direction, acting, cinematography, music, editing. This is one of the movies that totally deserved the Best Picture Oscar. I cried so much that I had to drop my plan to go grocery shopping after the movie, with my tear streaked face. I just went home.

In 2017 I visited Krakow because I was keen on visiting Auschwitz. My friends in Wroclaw gave me a ride to Krakow, where I stayed in a hotel. It was a very powerful and sad experience to see Auschwitz and Birkenau (sp?) museums. I saw only the outside of Schindler's factory/museum because they were closed, but I got to see the Jewish quarters and other places. Those memories came up when I this movie again. When I first saw it, I had not visited Poland. It made a difference.

Last edited:

vgerdes

Just got back from seeing Schindler's list. Totally awesome on the big screen. It was very good on my tv screen too. Brilliant direction, acting, cinematography, music, editing. This is one of the movies that totally deserved the Best Picture Oscar. I cried so much that I had to drop my plan to go grocery shopping after the movie, with my tear streaked face. I just went home.

I saw it the first time it was in theaters, and I bawled my eyes out. It HURT to watch. There was one scene that traumatized me so much I've never been able to bring myself to watch the movie again.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
I saw it the first time it was in theaters, and I bawled my eyes out. It HURT to watch. There was one scene that traumatized me so much I've never been able to bring myself to watch the movie again.

It is not the kind of movie one would watch multiple times. It would be too hard. I loved the B&W cinematography. In color it would have been even harder to watch. This was only the second time I watched it, and the first time in a theatre.

I read some interesting things about the making of this movie on either IMDB or Wikipedia. When Spielberg sent some scenes (I think) to John Williams and asked him to compose the music for this movie, Williams said he was not good enough and Spielberg should hire a better music director. Spielberg said - They are all dead.

Other actors considered to play Schindler’s role : Warren Beatty, Harrison Ford. Liam Neeson was selected because he was not a big star at that time, so his star power would not overpower the story. This worked out beautifully.

Spielberg asked Roman Polanski to direct the movie but he refused because it was too personal and emotionally tough for him. He was in the Krakow ghetto until age 8, when he was liberated. His mother died in a concentration camp. Later he produced The Pianist, which was less personal. I loved The Pianist but did not cry in it like I did in SL.

The last person who places roses on Schindler’s grave was Liam Neeson (I had wondered if it was Spielberg). That makes sense because the character he played was dead.

Last edited:

Japanfan

I remember seeing the film with a few friends when it was first released.

We went out to eat afterwards, and it was a bad idea because we really couldn't enjoy the meal. It's a film one really needs to process.

The image that remains in my mind is of the children hiding at the bottom of the outhouse. Followed by the ending, when Holocaust survivors place wreaths on Oscar Shindler's (sp?) grave.

I think it is salient to note when schools were planning to screen the film, Stephen Speilburg emphasized that it was a film about racism - rather than a film about the Jews specifically. IMO that sends a powerful message.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
I remember seeing the film with a few friends when it was first released.

We went out to eat afterwards, and it was a bad idea because we really couldn't enjoy the meal. It's a film one really needs to process.

The image that remains in my mind is of the children hiding at the bottom of the outhouse. Followed by the ending, when Holocaust survivors place wreaths on Oscar Shindler's (sp?) grave.

I think it is salient to note when schools were planning to screen the film, Stephen Speilburg emphasized that it was a film about racism - rather than a film about the Jews specifically. IMO that sends a powerful message.

It is Oskar Schindler. :) ( German name, although he was from Czechoslovakia)

This movie definitely takes time to process. I could not go grocery shopping after seeing it. When I got in my car after the movie, I cried some more. Next morning I woke up with the SL theme playing in my head. I have liked Yerushalai Shel Zahav ( I am butchering the spelling here, but I had a cassette of Israeli songs after my visit to that country and I loved it) for many years, and of course the SL music that is popular with skaters. I could not go to see another movie day after seeing SL. I will go see Green Book today.

Last edited:

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
I saw Green Book today. It is really good. Viggo is awesome. I hope he wins the best actor Oscar for this. Mahershala Ali is also very good, in a very different role from what I have seen him do. Did he play the piano himself? Many of the scenes between these two actors are excellent. Great teamwork. The only confusing thing to me was - the two musicians who were part of the trio were kind of shadowing Dr. Shirley initially but they seemed to disappear later, until the Birmingham dinner scene.

I Love it that this movie has subtle humor as well as some serious issues like racism, in the 1960s (?).
9/10.

annie720

Last edited:

Japanfan

It is Oskar Schindler. :) ( German name, although he was from Czechoslovakia)

You can count on me to make spelling mistakes on FSU! :) And other mistakes too I'm sure. :yikes:

Just don't tell anyone that I earn my living as a writer/editor (notably, usually not a proofreader). :scream:

I'm blaming it on a tired brain. I relax the focus on writing mechanics when the day's work is done and I get to FSU.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it. :p

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
You can count on me to make spelling mistakes on FSU! :) And other mistakes too I'm sure. :yikes:

Just don't tell anyone that I earn my living as a writer/editor (notably, usually not a proofreader). :scream:

I'm blaming it on a tired brain. I relax the focus on writing mechanics when the day's work is done and I get to FSU.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it. :p

This is interesting. I always thought that editors did proof reading while editing the material. I guess that is not the case.

snoopy

This is an old movie but I just watched it and it was so fun and fluffy, had to recommend Pitch Perfect! There is a reason they are on number 4? 5?

I like the acapella versions of the songs more than the originals in most cases. :)

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
I saw ‘The Favourite’ today. I didn't go in with great expectations but I wanted to see why it was getting rave reviews. I had hated the trailer, and the movie was only a little better than the trailer. It is 6/10 in my book.

First, the positives. Great acting by three great actresses. Excellent costumes, art direction, cinematography, and an unconventional score. It creates the atmosphere of 18th century England royalties well. Emma Stone was much better in this than in her Oscar winning role. The three actresses really elevate the movie.

The negatives - The female characters are believable and well portrayed but there is not one likable character. Queen Anne does get sympathy for losing many children and for being sick, but she is definitely not likable. This is supposed to be dark comedy but I didn’t see much humor in it. The movie felt weird and crude. I didn’t see the purpose of this story. Is it to show how miserable the people in the palace were or what kind of lifestyle they had? I would have liked a better focus on the issues of war and taxes. The focus was more on the relationships, but not in a good way.

The ending was the worst part. It was weird and long drawn out. I didn’t know what was going on, and then the movie ended. I had to read the synopsis on imdb to understand it, and I still don’t fully understand the last scene.

Many are calling this a masterpiece, but it was too weird for my taste. However, it deserves Oscar nominations in many categories. So may be it could be 7/10 but the movie as a whole did nothing for me, so I will stick with my original rating of 6/10.

cocotaffy

Fetchez la vache... mais fetchez la vache !
We went to watch Bohemian Rhapsody and everyone loved it. Rami Malek is absolutely fantastic in it. He nailed down the physicality of the role so well even at the very beginning of the movie when we just see his back as he's ready to enter on stage, I could recognize Freddie Mercury's mannerism and energy. As for the last 20 minutes of the movie, I just completely forgot it was not the real Freddie. Lots of humour too especially during the first half. I can see the most controversial aspects of his private life have been very diluted, I guess to appeal to all audiences but we would need a whole different kind of movie to tackle his private life imo. I took it as a Freddie within Queen movie more than a pure Freddie Mercury biopic.

Now for the disappointment of the week, A simple favor. I started out well enough, nice ping pong humour between the two female lead but when something major happens to a main character everything turns into a lifetime entertainment type of daytime cheap movie. The film doesn't know what to be, a deadpan humour comedy or a film noir to which the director alludes many time through the plot with Anna Kendrick actually mentioning Diabolique and all the French music throughout. Except it doesn't come anywhere close to the suspens of Diabolique and becomes extremely silly towards the end. Anna Kendrick has always annoyed me with her nasal voice and her "I'm trying to be funny-ironic 100% of the time" attitude, on interview, in movies etc... and here she plays exactly the same personality. Quick wit, fast
come-backs, smart girl who is not phased out by anything coming her way. All that even though she is a widow and supposedly a do-gooder everyone makes fun of. She could have played it much more shy, awkward and definitely not as self-assured.

manhn

Gaga was great. She does an excellent job of establishing rapport with her love interest, best friend and father. Yes, her performances are her highlights but it's not just a vocal exercise. The Shallow, you see the character coming into her own and opening herself. Her reaction after she sings is very well done.

I have no interest in seeing Vice. Go Regina King!

Aussie Willy

I saw Will you ever forgive me. Stars Melissa McCarthy and Richard E Grant.

Based on a true story. McCarthy is Lee Israel who forged famous writer's letters (Dorothy Parker, Noel Coward, Fanny Brice) in order to earn money. Grant is her cohort in crime.

Good movie, not a great one. But still interesting and I think both McCarthy and Grant are very good in it.

ETA - because I am really bad at remembering movie titles - well sometimes.

Last edited:

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
I saw Can you leave me now yesterday. Stars Melissa McCarthy and Richard E Grant.

Based on a true story. McCarthy is Lee Israel who forged famous writer's letters (Dorothy Parker, Noel Coward, Fanny Brice) in order to earn money. Grant is her cohort in crime.

Good movie, not a great one. But still interesting and I think both McCarthy and Grant are very good in it.

It runs with a different title here- Will you ever forgive me?

I am planning to see it but it may not run in the big theatres anymore.

mrr50

Saw Mortal Engines. It is a dystopian film with incredible computer generated effects. I enjoyed it, but it is formulaic with stock characters. But I loved the steampunk metropolis jalopies.

Aussie Willy

It runs with a different title here- Will you ever forgive me?

I am planning to see it but it may not run in the big theatres anymore.
Sorry my really big bad. I don't know why I thought it was the title I wrote but you have the correct title. Maybe one of those things that got stuck in my head.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information