ISU Grand Prix Assignments 2018/19 season

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
Have we ever had a season with this many GP withdrawals? (Maybe we have and I just have a short memory . . .)

SamuraiK

Gabby and Elena are both scheduled for NHK. With Dabin already out that could be three open spots.

Honestly I think they both should withdraw now.

Gabby's struggles is something that should take its proper time to heal. And with no training at all, she wouldnt be competition ready even if she overcomes her issues in quick time.

As for Radio I do get that withdrawing from the 2nd event could put in jeopardy her Nationals participation but really if shes not ready by now , a few more weeks wont be much difference.

Plus, an early WD gives the host enough time to find a replacement.

Colonel Green

.....and almost didn't happen.
Shimada won bronze in his second event by 0.01 over Orzel. Had Orzel come third, Gogolev would have made JGPF.
Which is also a great illustration of how much it matters at which event you skate, because Shimada has the third-highest points total of any competitor (behind only Gumennik and Pulkinen) and yet was 0.01 away from missing the Final.

Honestly I think they both should withdraw now.

Gabby's struggles is something that should take its proper time to heal. And with no training at all, she wouldnt be competition ready even if she overcomes her issues in quick time.
I’m provisionally expecting Gabby to not be at NHK, but we ultimately do not know what her situation is. Her team must think there’s still a chance, and they know more than we do.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
Since the hosts seem to be doing what they please, and it's so close to the start, Paganini only has one and trains in Hackensack, according to her bio.

I just noticed her hometown is Harrison, NJ. My high school used to play Harrison in basketball.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
[B]In The Loop[/B]‏ @[B]InTheLoPodcast[/B] 12m12 minutes ago
More
Updates to the assignments of #GPFigure
Skate America: #ElenaRadionova (RUS) withdrawn
Skate Canada: #VeronikMallet (CAN) and #AliciaPineault (CAN) in
GP Helsinki: #KarenChen (USA) withdrawn
https://twitter.com/InTheLoPodcast/status/1051772877316317184

Oh man..Im trying to stay excited... but

A. since we hadnt heard a peep from Karen I was almost checking daily to see if she was gonna be scratched off eevnts. Im kinda waiting for Gracie to be scrathced.

B. I wanted to see radionova... Bummer....

meggonzo

Banned Member

I don't think Gabby has had "no training at all". She did compete at US Classic with a new long program. I don't know how much she has trained since then though... Maybe she is hoping to be at NHK since she didn't withdraw from both GP events at the same time.

Willin

Gabby has also posted some photos of herself at TCC and it sounds like she's been training at the Cricket Club all summer. The pictures she posts of herself certainly make it look like she's in incredible shape, so I wouldn't doubt she could compete if she wanted to.

If she needs to take time off for her mental health, there's no better time then now. She can still go to NHK if she feels ready or wait until Nationals. If needed, she can take a season off and still have two more to prepare for the next Olympic season. I don't see missing one GP as a huge deal, especially when it's to take care of a health problem.

Erin

Banned Member
I think the reason for the comment about Gabby “not training at all” is that her instagram post said she has taken a break from training to take care of her mental health. So while she may have been training previously, the wording of that post makes it sounds like she is currently not training at all. Given that, I expect her to withdraw from NHK too, as it would be hard to jump back into it and be ready that quickly. And there isn’t anything wrong with withdrawing as I would like to see her take all the time she needs to recover - but it would be nice if it is in time for a replacement to be named.

ETA - I think one of the reasons for the late withdrawals in the case of long term injuries is that the skaters are typical tough athletes who are always pushing themselves and hoping their recovery will go as quickly and smoothly as possible and want to hold out until the last possible moment before accepting the reality that they have to withdraw. It’s easy to say from the outside that the skater will have to withdraw, but not always easy to accept for someone who is frequently pushing past pain anyway.

Last edited:

Rock2

Gabby's health is the priority, but man I sure hope she is able to compete at World's somehow. Having only one woman at Montreal worlds would be devastating for the discipline here...and would likely squelch any sliver of hope of seeing KO jump back into the game.

Catherine M

Gabby's health is the priority, but man I sure hope she is able to compete at World's somehow. Having only one woman at Montreal worlds would be devastating for the discipline here...and would likely squelch any sliver of hope of seeing KO jump back into the game.

Why would you even post that????

2019 worlds is a long way away so no need to worry about potential spots that may or may not happen.

Colonel Green

Er, why? Kaetlyn would be strongly favoured to take that one spot, particularly in a situation where Gabby ended up having to miss a whole season.

Erin

Banned Member
It's FSU. It's always time to worry about spots at world's.

Eh, I’d say if Canada goes down to one spot next year, so be it. Gabby’s long term health is more important. I hope she takes whatever time she needs to feel better. If she comes back in time for Worlds, great. If not, well, I guess the rest of the ladies will have a chance to step up.

Last edited:

Foolhardy Ham Lint

It’s definitely a rebuilding year for them in ladies. All their top junior ladies from the last few years have moved up. Yokoi has the most potential but can’t skate a clean short. None of the debutantes this year made much of an impression unfortunately 😕

I really liked some of the Japanese ladies. They had terrific speed and deep knee bend on their jumps.

However, skating against such a strong Russian contingent, with any chance of making the final, an athlete needs to be almost clean across two events. The likes of Trusova and Shcherebakova are also highlighting that including seven triples in the free skate isn't going to be enough.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information