Jonesing for GP 2018-19

mysticchic

I was informed the other night the only move up to seeds will be for 1-3. So in dance it will be P&C, H&D and C&B. After that from what I am told the picks will be what is left of 4-12. Once all of them get 2, it will go to the ones that have the guaranteed 1. Someone can make the list or I can do it later.
I was also told C&L are not skating the GP. The skaters have said they retired.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
Have they changed Pairs and Dance back to 1-12 from 1-10?

ETA: It would also mean Zabiiako/Enbert move up in Pairs, since Savchenko/Massot will not be skating GP. It will also mean that someone will move up to replace Osmond, whether that is Kostner or Zagitova. All of the Men's medalist are expected to skate.

This is not an advantage for either C/B, Z/E, or whichever Lady replaces Osmond: By moving up to the last of the seeds, aside from a potential host spot, they get last pick(s) automatically, if it is true that seeds do get to choose in order of Worlds placement. Had they remained in the second selection group, they would have had a chance at getting a more preferred event.

Last edited:

mysticchic

This is what I guess selection will look like.

Selection Group 1:
1-Gabriella PAPADAKIS / Guillaume CIZERON (FRA)
2-Madison HUBBELL / Zachary DONOHUE (USA)
3. Madison CHOCK / Evan BATES (USA)

selection group 2 (each GP will take 2 of these couples)
4-Piper GILLES / Paul POIRIER (CAN)
5-Alexandra STEPANOVA / Ivan BUKIN (RUS)
6-Tiffani ZAGORSKI / Jonathan GUERREIRO (RUS)
7-Charlene GUIGNARD / Marco FABBRI (ITA)
8-Kaitlin HAWAYEK / Jean-Luc BAKER (USA)
9-Kana MURAMOTO / Chris REED (JPN)

Vagabond

Any chance the entries come out today or is it definitely going to be tomorrow?
Considering that the third Grand Prix event is going to be moved to a location that has yet to be announced, I suspect that it will be a while before the entries are announced.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
Considering that the third Grand Prix event is going to be moved to a location that has yet to be announced, I suspect that it will be a while before the entries are announced.
I would think that was the reason that the specific deadline for Korea was chosen.

believed

From the Mirai article:
The International Skating Union said this week that Grand Prix assignments will be published Thursday.

Do we think this is speculation from earlier info announcing this week or will we actually get them tomorrow?

mysticchic

Have they changed Pairs and Dance back to 1-12 from 1-10?

ETA: It would also mean Zabiiako/Enbert move up in Pairs, since Savchenko/Massot will not be skating GP. It will also mean that someone will move up to replace Osmond, whether that is Kostner or Zagitova. All of the Men's medalist are expected to skate.

This is not an advantage for either C/B, Z/E, or whichever Lady replaces Osmond: By moving up to the last of the seeds, aside from a potential host spot, they get last pick(s) automatically, if it is true that seeds do get to choose in order of Worlds placement. Had they remained in the second selection group, they would have had a chance at getting a more preferred event.

If they are below 12 then they won't be seeded. The only move up will be 1-3. So if they finished 4th and the 3rd seed isn't skating, then they would be the 3rd seed. If the 12th seed isn't skating, no one will be moved up. 4-12 will be seeded.
But I think it would be a good bet the 13th couple will get a 2nd event.
It's confusing.

Dobre

I am so confused. In dance, the top 10 are grouped. Not the top 12. Then someone on GS, told me that spots 7-10 are technically not seeded anyway. So does this mean that #12 Smart & Diaz aren't moving up into the group for 7-10, provided Cappellini & Lanotte are not competing. If Muramoto & Reed are moving up from #11 due to W&P pulling out, then S&D would move up as well, no?

RoseRed

If they are below 12 then they won't be seeded. The only move up will be 1-3. So if they finished 4th and the 3rd seed isn't skating, then they would be the 3rd seed. If the 12th seed isn't skating, no one will be moved up. 4-12 will be seeded.
But I think it would be a good bet the 13th couple will get a 2nd event.
It's confusing.
Okay, so for the ladies, with Kaetlyn and Mirai not doing the GP, I get that from what you're saying, Nicole S. and Laurine (13th and 14th) would not be move up to get 2 guaranteed spots.

So the 1st seeding group will be Wakaba, Satoko, Carolina. But what about the 2nd seeding group? With Carolina moved up, will it just be Alina and Bradie, or will Gabby (7th) be a part of that group too?

This affects assignments, not who gets 2 automatic spots.

Because in the past it has been each GP with one from 1-3 and one from 4-6. Then 7-12 (or 10 for pairs/dance) are just guaranteed 2 spots, but can be at the same events.

mysticchic

Okay, so for the ladies, with Kaetlyn and Mirai not doing the GP, I get that from what you're saying, Nicole S. and Laurine (13th and 14th) would not be move up to get 2 guaranteed spots.

So the 1st seeding group will be Wakaba, Satoko, Carolina. But what about the 2nd seeding group? With Carolina moved up, will it just be Alina and Bradie, or will Gabby (7th) be a part of that group too?

This affects assignments, not who gets 2 automatic spots.

Because in the past it has been each GP with one from 1-3 and one from 4-6. Then 7-12 (or 10 for pairs/dance) are just guaranteed 2 spots, but can be at the same events.
I know it's confusing. I spent a half hour asking questions and trying to figure it out. But it came down to the top 3 are seeded. If one or more of the top 3 are not competing, then the next one in order of finish will move to that spot. After that, 4-12 will be the next group to get GP events. It was repeated over and over for the 4-12 no one else will move up.
No, Nicole and Laurine wouldn't move up to the seeded spots. But they should get 2 spots. Mirai and Kartlyn opens up 4 spots that need to be filed.
Now it could be wrong, but this came from a skater who this effects. ISU has never made sense.

mysticchic

I think the better way to think of all this is it effects only the seeded skaters. It doesn't seed any skaters below 12.

Actually, it doesn't really matter. The skaters for the GP events were already picked. They are finalizing things now. Most of the skaters have an idea which GP they will get. But it won't be official until the list is released.

RoseRed

I know it's confusing. I spent a half hour asking questions and trying to figure it out. But it came down to the top 3 are seeded. If one or more of the top 3 are not competing, then the next one in order of finish will move to that spot. After that, 4-12 will be the next group to get GP events. It was repeated over and over for the 4-12 no one else will move up.
No, Nicole and Laurine wouldn't move up to the seeded spots. But they should get 2 spots. Mirai and Kartlyn opens up 4 spots that need to be filed.
Now it could be wrong, but this came from a skater who this effects. ISU has never made sense.
Laurine should be fine because she can get a host pick but Nichole Schott is ~50 on the SB list. She gets 1 guaranteed from WS. But there are a lot of spots in singles, so she could pick up a 2nd.

So I guess the idea is that they are only seeding the 1-3 group and have just dropped seeding the 4-6 group (in terms of them having to be in diff events).

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
It means they've dropped seeding for 4-6 and selection groups 7-10 (Dance/Pairs) and 7-9 and 10-12 (singles), if they're really putting everyone not seeded 1-3, but guaranteed two from Worlds, into one big group.

Below 6 wasn't considered seeded, at least in the last 3-4 Olympic cycles.

Dobre

It means they've dropped seeding for 4-6 and selection groups 7-10 (Dance/Pairs) and 7-9 and 10-12 (singles), if they're really putting everyone not seeded 1-3, but guaranteed two from Worlds, into one big group.

OK, so Smart & Diaz will be guaranteed two spots. (If Cappellini & Lanotte are out).
And it's technically possible that you could have Stepanova & Bukin and Zagorski & Guerreiro both at the Rostelecom, for example.

mysticchic

You're right. They aren't considered seeded. They are still given 2 GP events and they section them so they all have a chance of making all events even in talent.
I can't remember after which Olympics there were so many withdrawals that it did get down to SB 100. I have a feeling there still might be some top skaters might be missing the GP this year.

mysticchic

OK, so Smart & Diaz will be guaranteed two spots. (If Cappellini & Lanotte are out).
And it's technically possible that you could have Stepanova & Bukin and Zagorski & Guerreiro both at the Rostelecom, for example.
they should. S&B and Z&G could be in Russia. But they could face P&C, C&B or H&D.
Other than the top 3, I think in ice dancing the final is open for spots 4-6. depending on the seeded team at Rostelecom, I would think Russia would try for spots where both teams have a shot at silver. I think S&B have a good shot at the final. I could see them getting 2 silvers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information