Status
Not open for further replies.

Tinami Amori

Caroline Zhang for Beijing 2022 :cheer::p
Is it too much to dream for them to approach Wagner? ;)
(not questioning your right to think the way you do).. but do you really think it is acceptable for one country's sports Federation to bluntly try to steal (with money offers) athletes from another Federation?

insideedgeua

I
(not questioning your right to think the way you do).. but do you really think it is acceptable for one country's sports Federation to bluntly try to steal (with money offers) athletes from another Federation?

It’s not like this doesn’t already happen. Look at the Russian girl skating Pair for Australia. She’s never lived there. I’m told she’s never spent more than a few weeks at a time training there, yet she has citizenship under rules that don’t apply to ordinary people.

There are lots of example of this. So many skaters suddenly discovering their heritage to skate for another country.

I agree with you though. I don’t think it’s right either. Sure, if a person really has connections there still and maybe visits grandparents or other family there on a regular basis, then make the switch. I think it’s wrong though when a skater really hasn’t ever visited the country that they suddenly want to represent but they’re after an easier path.

RoseRed

I

It’s not like this doesn’t already happen. Look at the Russian girl skating Pair for Australia. She’s never lived there. I’m told she’s never spent more than a few weeks at a time training there, yet she has citizenship under rules that don’t apply to ordinary people.

There are lots of example of this. So many skaters suddenly discovering their heritage to skate for another country.

I agree with you though. I don’t think it’s right either. Sure, if a person really has connections there still and maybe visits grandparents or other family there on a regular basis, then make the switch. I think it’s wrong though when a skater really hasn’t ever visited the country that they suddenly want to represent but they’re after an easier path.
I think pairs and dance are quite different from singles. You talk about someone wanting an easier path, but the other side is that skaters from small skating countries often have a very hard time finding a suitable partner. Would Harley Windsor have been able to find a girl as good as Katia who's from Australia?

Tinami Amori

I
In my opinion the circumstances are different. One is Chinese Federation waving the dollars to Chinese-American girls with message “drop your country, we’ll pay you”. The other is Katya’s situation: she tried singles and it did not work out. she tried pairs in Russia – it did not work out. She tried pairs in Ukraine – it did not work out. She returned to Russia – it did not work out AND! there was a tragedy in her family, father died. Russian coaches (fr Australia) Pachins, asked Mozer if she can spare a girl for Pachins’ boy. Mozer kindly gave to them Katya, who now had a new opportunity and a positive “change of scenery”.

DimaToe

Retired by Frank Carroll

You obviously missed the point of the ;) and :p . This isn’t anything new really. Just ask Azerbaijan or Israel, even Russia comes to mind with Vic Wild and Victor Ahn for 2014 (I know in that case Wild and Ahn were “neglected” by their federations) but the pint stands that skating federations trying to “poach” skaters from elsewhere is nothing new.

Tinami Amori

You obviously missed the point of the ;) and :p . This isn’t anything new really. Just ask Azerbaijan or Israel, even Russia comes to mind with Vic Wild and Victor Ahn for 2014 (I know in that case Wild and Ahn were “neglected” by their federations) but the pint stands that skating federations trying to “poach” skaters from elsewhere is nothing new.
as you said, there is a diff. between "poaching" and athletes seeking alternatives when not wanted in their own country.

DimaToe

Retired by Frank Carroll
as you said, there is a diff. between "poaching" and athletes seeking alternatives when not wanted in their own country.
Good point, but there’s also the point that skaters aren’t the property of the skating federations they represent. If some skaters find more support or a way to be more successful with another federation then so be it.

Tinami Amori

Good point, but there’s also the point that skaters aren’t the property of the skating federations they represent. If some skaters find more support or a way to be more successful with another federation then so be it.
- something can be legal, but not ethical.
- this is not a case where "a chinese-american skater is unhappy/looking for more support" and went to China. It's China poaching skaters with money.
- there is a difference when a couple is unhappy and one partner leaves, and when a 3rd party starts flirting with one of the spouses causing a divorce.

jlai

Question everything
I do think this is really not playing nice to a x degree. What is the point of representing one's nation at worlds/Olympics, etc if you are hired help?

Having said that, the downside of someone paying is that you don't have as much say in this. WHat if you look promising now but get injured two years from now? Will they urge you to do ice dancing?

DimaToe

Retired by Frank Carroll
I May be in the minority but if representing a certain flag or Ideal was the priority for skaters or the common folk as it seems to be for the FSU fandom then the proof would be there to back that up. As big of a deal as it seems to be to many, only the individual athletes know the hardships they have faced, so representing a certain country or another might have nothing to do with someone being loyal or someone being “hired” help or someone being unhappy, it is just an athlete going with what seems to be the most fruitful route instead of the “patriotic” road to go. A skater’s dedication to their craft is not defined by the flag they compete under, it is defined by their own dedication.

jlai

Question everything
Like it or not the whole system, be it world and Olympic spots or jgp slots, is about skaters representing countries, down to how many the fed can send. If Feds can start hiring help on a regular basis I certainly hope there will be change of rules in the pipeline. Not sure what change of rules but perhaps something about residency Or citizenship requirements. Or get rid of the skaters earning spots for countries system all together if it is meaningless

Ideally this should be like tennis then none of this would happen

insideedgeua

In my opinion the circumstances are different. One is Chinese Federation waving the dollars to Chinese-American girls with message “drop your country, we’ll pay you”. The other is Katya’s situation: she tried singles and it did not work out. she tried pairs in Russia – it did not work out. She tried pairs in Ukraine – it did not work out. She returned to Russia – it did not work out AND! there was a tragedy in her family, father died. Russian coaches (fr Australia) Pachins, asked Mozer if she can spare a girl for Pachins’ boy. Mozer kindly gave to them Katya, who now had a new opportunity and a positive “change of scenery”.

I’m not doubting that in this example ( as one that sprung to mind) she could be a lovely person doing the right thing for herself. In this case the federation may not have ‘paid’ to have her switch countries, but they were able to have all sorts of exceptions made for her to become a citizen. That’s the part I don’t agree with.

If you can legally qualify to skate for another country, either through family heritage or by moving there and following the normal guidelines, fine. It was the exceptions made that I didn’t agree with.

I also don’t agree with a country almost holding a skater ‘hostage’ with not releasing them after a reasonable period.

Bellanca

This entire ongoing drama re Karen, her boots, her mother, etc., let me just comment about that in this thread since she is a U.S. lady representing the U.S.A.

Okay, so Karen had a human, emotional moment @ the Olympics where she mentioned missing or not being able to spend enough time with her mother, etc. So what?!

I find it somewhat hypocritical that whenever any other U.S. lady or ladies are having a ‘moment’ complaining or whining, it somehow becomes justified as so and so just being who they are, being their feisty, adorable, enduring selves, and therefore completely understandable. Somewhere along the line, their outrage and complaining became acceptable behavior, an entitlement. A bit hypocritical? Yeah, I would say so…

Give the girl a break! If Karen, by mentioning her boots or suggesting she missed her mother is the most significant ‘offense’ that she is/will be guilty of, then I say she is doing alright.

Karen is not a flop by any means. What is a flop are when fans take a cheap shot without knowing the entire story or situation and then turn around and applaud or defend offensive behavior by another teammate or athlete.

Last edited:

DreamSkates

This entire ongoing drama re Karen, her boots, her mother, etc., let me just comment about that in this thread since she is a U.S. lady representing the U.S.A.

Okay, so Karen had a human, emotional moment @ the Olympics where she mentioned missing or not being able to spend enough time with her mother, etc. So what?!...etc..
Skaters are human, not machines. They might need a hug now and then.

aftershocks

Banned Member

Okay, so Karen had a human, emotional moment @ the Olympics where she mentioned missing or not being able to spend enough time with her mother, etc. So what?!

I find it somewhat hypocritical that whenever any other U.S. lady or ladies are having a ‘moment’ complaining or whining, it somehow becomes justified as so and so just being who they are, being their feisty, adorable, enduring selves, and therefore completely understandable. Somewhere along the line, their outrage and complaining became acceptable behavior, an entitlement. A bit hypocritical? Yeah, I would say so…

Give the girl a break! If Karen, by mentioning her boots or suggesting she missed her mother is the most significant ‘offense’ that she is/will be guilty of, then I say she is doing alright.

Karen is not a flop by any means. What is a flop are when fans take a cheap shot without knowing the entire story or situation
and then turn around and applaud or defend offensive behavior by another teammate or athlete.

Exactly. Reminds me of when Phil Hersh excoriated Karen a few seasons ago about her boot problems, and took insulting cheap shots at Mariah Bell and Jason Brown. Some fans on FSU took Hersh to task for his brash commentary, which has apparently led to him being more careful subsequently in how he writes about skaters. :)

Bellanca

Exactly. Reminds me of when Phil Hersh excoriated Karen a few seasons ago about her boot problems, and took insulting cheap shots at Mariah Bell and Jason Brown. Some fans on FSU took Hersh to task for his brash commentary, which has apparently led to him being more careful subsequently in how he writes about skaters. :)
I remain highly skeptical that Phil Hersh has toned down his brash commentary due to a handful of fans over on a skating forum. PH pretty much writes whatever his observations are at the time, whether it be scorched-earth rhetoric or tame/neutral comments. I do not think he is too influenced by a forum and its posters, imo. And, since you apparently continue to feel so strongly about it, maybe you should email Phil Hersh, directly, and take up the issue with him … not me. ;) There’s nothing I can do about it. :inavoid:

To be fair, you would also have to include and take “to task” several of your own fellow FSU fans and posters along with Phil Hersh and Co. for their own insulting cheap shots toward Karen, Mariah, and Jason, etc. throughout the years. It quickly becomes a double standard.

It boils down to people making comments, and why one group should get a pass to engage in unflattering exchanges and browbeating behavior, but not another…

Is it assumed that those who are considered professionals and making money via their commentary and/or blogs are demanded or expected to remain above the fray? Yet, at the same time, excusing and giving a pass to a bunch of anonymous posters on a forum who can engage in tarring and feathering all day long, if they choose, without any consequences? And that is somehow acceptable? That’s quite a (convoluted) stretch that fans can be ticked off at a journalist whenever they desire for engaging in insulting, provocative, taunting behavior or saying something controversial, but then turn right around and do it themselves. This behavior is often referred to as hypocritical, self-righteous indignation.

Do you really think it is less painful for a skater to read critical, scathing comments or posts about themselves on a forum by a bunch of armchair critics they, most likely, don’t know as opposed to reading it from a sports journalist’s commentary or blog? It can be one and the same.

A very successful, retired, competitive figure skater, who is a friend, once remarked to me regarding fans: “If the fans are going to criticize someone else for trash talking, they should start with themselves, first … pot, kettle.”

TBH, I think that disparaging, hurtful comments from the fan base can affect athletes more than something a sports journalist or known blogger may write because the athletes are somewhat conditioned to expect negative press at some point during their competitive careers, but B.S. from a fan can sting and leave a lasting mark.

:soapbox:

aftershocks

Banned Member
I remain highly skeptical that Phil Hersh has toned down his brash commentary due to a handful of fans over on a skating forum. PH pretty much writes whatever his observations are at the time, whether it be scorched-earth rhetoric or tame/neutral comments. I do not think he is too influenced by a forum and its posters, imo. And, since you apparently continue to feel so strongly about it, maybe you should email Phil Hersh, directly, and take up the issue with him … not me. ;) There’s nothing I can do about it. :inavoid:

To be fair, you would also have to include and take “to task” several of your own fellow FSU fans and posters along with Phil Hersh and Co. for their own insulting cheap shots toward Karen, Mariah, and Jason, etc. throughout the years. It quickly becomes a double standard.

It boils down to people making comments, and why one group should get a pass to engage in unflattering exchanges and browbeating behavior, but not another…

Is it assumed that those who are considered professionals and making money via their commentary and/or blogs are demanded or expected to remain above the fray? Yet, at the same time, excusing and giving a pass to a bunch of anonymous posters on a forum who can engage in tarring and feathering all day long, if they choose, without any consequences? And that is somehow acceptable? That’s quite a (convoluted) stretch that fans can be ticked off at a journalist whenever they desire for engaging in insulting, provocative, taunting behavior or saying something controversial, but then turn right around and do it themselves. This behavior is often referred to as hypocritical, self-righteous indignation.

Do you really think it is less painful for a skater to read critical, scathing comments or posts about themselves on a forum by a bunch of armchair critics they, most likely, don’t know as opposed to reading it from a sports journalist’s commentary or blog? It can be one and the same.

A very successful, retired, competitive figure skater, who is a friend, once remarked to me regarding fans: “If the fans are going to criticize someone else for trash talking, they should start with themselves, first … pot, kettle.”

TBH, I think that disparaging, hurtful comments from the fan base can affect athletes more than something a sports journalist or known blogger may write because the athletes are somewhat conditioned to expect negative press at some point during their competitive careers, but B.S. from a fan can sting and leave a lasting mark.

:soapbox:

Whoa! Hit a nerve did I? ;) :watch:

Frankly, at this time, I have nothing in particular to take up with Phil Hersh. I posted my feelings about that prior article in the thread that discussed the article. And I also complimented some of Hersh's subsequent articles, which appeared be written with a bit more thoughtfulness and in-depth research. To a degree, Hersh's commentary since then has mostly evinced a departure from gratuitous, petty insults. Of course, his viewpoints are no less brash and forceful. :D But that's his writing style.

In that earlier thread, several posters also engaged in a dialogue with you regarding the differences between published commentary by respected and distinguished journalists vs the variety of opinions, trolling, snark, and random free-for-alls often found on Internet forums. :fan21:

Last edited:

Bellanca

Whoa! Hit a nerve did I? ;):watch:
Not in the least, but I appreciate your attempts to deflect. :cool:

Frankly, at this time, I have nothing in particular to take up with Phil Hersh.
:lol: Could've fooled me... :duh:

In that earlier thread, several posters also engaged in a dialogue with you regarding the differences between published commentary by respected and distinguished journalists vs the variety of opinions, trolling, snark, and random free-for-alls often found on Internet forums.
Whoa! I'm still hitting a nerve, am I? ;):watch: Is that what you would call it, a dialogue? :huh: Okay.... :lol:

Interesting and somewhat disturbing :scream: that you've held onto all of that these many months.

DimaToe

Retired by Frank Carroll
:lol: There was good reason for this thread being in the Trash Can in the past, there sure is a lot of passion (myself included) from posters when it comes to the U.S. women.

Bellanca

:lol: There was good reason for this thread being in the Trash Can in the past, there sure is a lot of passion (myself included) from posters when it comes to the U.S. women.
Oh heck, the U.S. women have nothing over the U.S. men! :lol: When posters get going on that one, it's... :lynch: bedlam! :p

aftershocks

Banned Member
Not in the least, but I appreciate your attempts to deflect. :cool:

:lol: Could've fooled me... :duh:

Whoa! I'm still hitting a nerve, am I? ;):watch: Is that what you would call it, a dialogue? :huh: Okay.... :lol:

Interesting and somewhat disturbing :scream: that you've held onto all of that these many months.

Ah, deflection projection, huh. :drama: :watch: Many figure skating fans do tend to have exacting memories, uh but, maybe you reserve yours for more important trivialities, eh. ;)

Oh well, fyi, I tend to have a bit of a soft spot for good ol' Phil, when he isn't being too peevishly annoying. :D

D

Deleted member 40371

I’m not doubting that in this example ( as one that sprung to mind) she could be a lovely person doing the right thing for herself. In this case the federation may not have ‘paid’ to have her switch countries, but they were able to have all sorts of exceptions made for her to become a citizen. That’s the part I don’t agree with.

If you can legally qualify to skate for another country, either through family heritage or by moving there and following the normal guidelines, fine. It was the exceptions made that I didn’t agree with.

I also don’t agree with a country almost holding a skater ‘hostage’ with not releasing them after a reasonable period.
As far as I know she didn’t get any big exceptions to become citizen. She won it under distinguished talent visa, many others have won PR under that visa and later citizenship.There is a lot that depends on the potential of the individual and she showed potential to win future world and olympic medals. Also, Australia needs to be flexible about staying in the country since staying in the country would mean she will miss quality training, which in turn would affect the results. I do not see any problem with what Happened with Aleksandroskaya case, Aussie rules were flexible to begin with and she used it get citizenship.

Willin

Yeah the Aleksandroskaya case is not at all like paying an athlete to compete for your country. I doubt Australia courted her at all. They were probably just pleasantly surprised when she happened to decided to compete for them and helped her once she'd signed up with their federation. Maybe @Aussie Willy would know more about how that all worked out?

The IOC doesn’t have any say in the citizenship rules for China, just that athletes must hold the citizenship of the country they are competing for. Many people hold dual citizenship. If China chooses to change their Citizenship rules I don’t think the IOC could do anything about it. As a parent I would be concerned if my child held dual citizenship with a country that required military service. Does anyone know if that is a requirement in China?
I must have read that wrong. I read it as if China was wanting the IOC to change their policies. But I do wonder what will happen if they get dual citizenship for the Olympics. Would it be a lifetime exception for Olympians or would they have to choose which country to be a citizen of after the Olympics are over? Either way it seems rather unfair to countries that keep its citizenship requirements rigid even for Olympians.

It should be noted that the Distinguished Talent Visa Aleksandroskaya got her visa under is something most countries have - and it doesn't speed up citizenship. Unlike it sounds for the athletes China may be paying, she had to go through the same English and citizenship tests any other person would need to get.

China does not have required military service as far as I know, so that wouldn't be an issue.

RoseRed

I must have read that wrong. I read it as if China was wanting the IOC to change their policies. But I do wonder what will happen if they get dual citizenship for the Olympics. Would it be a lifetime exception for Olympians or would they have to choose which country to be a citizen of after the Olympics are over? Either way it seems rather unfair to countries that keep its citizenship requirements rigid even for Olympians.

It should be noted that the Distinguished Talent Visa Aleksandroskaya got her visa under is something most countries have - and it doesn't speed up citizenship. Unlike it sounds for the athletes China may be paying, she had to go through the same English and citizenship tests any other person would need to get.

China does not have required military service as far as I know, so that wouldn't be an issue.
How? The IOC has nothing to do with citizenship requirements by country, so it's entirely the country's decision. They set their own rules and could make it less strict for Olympians if they chose to.

And I don't know about Australia, but in Canada top skaters certainly get citizenship faster than the average person. Normally you have to wait 5 years after getting permanent residence, but Lubov got citizenship a couple of months after she got her PR. I was under the impression that Katia was in a similar situation.

Aerobicidal

Shut that door.
Apparently you've never read any threads about Ashley Wagner or a wide array of other U.S. ladies who practically get criticized for waking up in the morning.

While I agree that some of the negativity toward Karen is ridiculous, it's equally ridiculous to imply she's the only U.S. lady that gets that sort of response.

Erin

Banned Member
And I don't know about Australia, but in Canada top skaters certainly get citizenship faster than the average person. Normally you have to wait 5 years after getting permanent residence, but Lubov got citizenship a couple of months after she got her PR. I was under the impression that Katia was in a similar situation.

I believe it's generally only about two years in Canada after getting permanent residency. (Five years is the American standard and I know that it's quite a bit longer than the Canadian standard. It's actually more complicated than that because it has to do with total time and your time prior to PR status counts as 50% and you can't count time you are out of the country but my recollection is a bit vague.) Regardless, you are correct that Canada does have an exception process for people with particular talents, and Lubov, Kaitlyn Weaver, and Piper Gilles all used this exception. That said, the exception is written into the law and is there for people who meet the qualifications of it as written and there are ways to meet it outside of sports (I recall artistic talent being on the list too). So it's not like a special exception is made for every potential Olympian.

Bellanca

Apparently you've never read any threads about Ashley Wagner or a wide array of other U.S. ladies who practically get criticized for waking up in the morning.

While I agree that some of the negativity toward Karen is ridiculous, it's equally ridiculous to imply she's the only U.S. lady that gets that sort of response.
Apparently, you've resorted to cherry-picking through my posts because I am well aware of how verbally kicked around Ashley, Gracie, Courtney (to name a few) have been, believe me. Karen is just the latest piñata.

Of course, the most ridiculous thing is your jumping to the conclusion of my implying something that I have not. Unfortunately, the facts of what I have said in the past appears to have escaped you and now have you posting inaccurate information as it pertains to my posts re the subject being discussed presently.

A lot of disparaging comments have to do with an overzealous fandom that has gone too far, or someone is just looking for a cheap laugh. ;)

It is no secret that some fans get pretty upset and sometimes completely ott with their emotions when their favorite skater is passed up by another, causing rant-filled criticisms and lashing out via comments and posts.

These posters comments are unmistakably telegraphing feelings of raw emotions (with obvious transparency) aimed solely at the athlete without too much concern or thought as to what damage or harm their comments and posts themselves may eventually do or have already done. But, do carry on...:barrel:watch:

Last edited:

Foolhardy Ham Lint

I

You've just described most of the ice dance field from worlds!

Irrespective of where they live, I actually see nothing wrong with pairing athletes that have the strongest potential. If it weren't for his coaches' foresight, Harley Windsor would have left the sport long before he was matched with Ekaterina Alexandrovskaya. Their technique, it has to be said, is almost identical, and allowed them to quickly progress. Prior to skating with her, he had very little pairs experience, too.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information