Madison Chock & Evan Bates Hopes, Fears & Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
Still trying to get a good look at the FD, but I managed to watch the exhibition. Not a fan of the music, but wow that was impressive. I was really impressed with Evan's expressiveness. They keep improving where they need to improve. I'm so looking forward to seeing them through the season.

lauren329

They keep improving where they need to improve.

This is so true. Some seem perplexed by their scores at SA but the improvement is so tremendous that I don't see how there's any question. They reportedly declined SOI and other postOlympic offers (I don't even remember seeing them in the White House pics) to get right to work for this season and it shows so much. At this point, I'll actually be surprised if they don't manage a world medal this season.

Last edited:

E.A. Week

I'm impressed with both CB's programs. Also, their skating in general is better--better speed and flow, deeper edges, and their performance is really expressive. Their scores were very good for so early in the season--they had one level 2 on a step sequence in the freedance, but otherwise, it was level 3s and 4s across the board. The best thing I can say about them is their skating is beginning to look really effortless. I hope they make the GPF, win Nationals, and medal at Worlds. With so many good teams, US ice dancing looks to be in very good post-Marlie shape. :)

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
I love this team. They bring a great energy to the ice. I admire their commitment to skating well, which was followed through with not taking on any outside skating shows during the off season. Glad they won SA, and hope the trend continues

rustyskater

I just watched CL's free dance and I must say it wreaks of Marina's Seasons choreography (in look and feel also) and seems dated! I think its weaker than WP's free. I'm calling CB the team with the best free dance this year (haven't seen the Russians, yet) both technically (speed, especially) and PCS-wise.

rustyskater

Nice job sitting in first, again, after the short. They are likely to win the free and book a trip to the final.

centerpt1

OK, so they won me over with their dances at Rostelecom Cup. They have improved so much......

rustyskater

The free dance is excellent. The best so far this season. The first lift is just Wow! The two dance step sequences are by far the most entertaining of the bunch this season. Congrats to Igor. He'll have his champion team this year!

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
I think they are just stunning in the Free Dance. They just keep bringing things up another notch.

It will be great to see them go head to head with WeaPo at the GPF.

Reactions: AYS

clairecloutier

I was pleasantly surprised by Madison/Evan's free dance yesterday at Rostelecom. I think they're starting to catch the rhythm and feeling of this dance. I love the lean they're getting on the curves in the footwork . . . they're starting to relax into it more . . . and I feel like Madison has toned down her OTT expressiveness, which is too big for this restrained music. I'm liking the costumes more, too. I don't know if this FD is ever going to resonate in an emotional way, but their interpretation is definitely improving.

I am, however, bored by their SD. It's well executed, but to me, just really lacking in true Paso flavor. It's going to be interesting to see how it fares against P/C's Paso, which I think is much better, and also when they go up against the Shibs again at Natls. (I think the Shibs' Paso is terrific.)

nuge

. I'm liking the costumes more, too. I don't know if this FD is ever going to resonate in an emotional way, but their interpretation is definitely improving.

Madison has plenty of time now to clean her boots and get rid of the hearts :shuffle:

No point in having gorgeous costumes with ugly grey scraped boots.

TanithandBenFan

Author of the Ice and Edge Series
There's a nice article about C/B in this month's IFS magazine, and Madi said they worked on the opening FD lift for two years. It's a stunner - one of my favorite ice dance lifts ever!

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
Well the way the Short Dance ended was a major disappointment but Madison and Evan came back strong in the FD for silver so :cheer: I think they are well on the pace for the World podium, which I wasn't at all sure about when the season started. And I think given the scores they racked up in the two GP events they can challenge WeaPo and P&C for gold. WeaPo skated lights out at the GPF, best all year so they have the edge but a lot can happen between now and March. Looking forward to watching Madison & Evan at Nationals now.

Sylvia

TBD
Evan Bates' first blog for TeamUSA.org: http://www.teamusa.org/News/2015/January/29/Evan-Bates-And-So-It-Goes
... I didn’t expect my first blog entry to read like a self-help novel, but alas, here we are. Madi and I will be trading off blogging duties for the next few weeks. This blog will be a space for us to share our experiences as we travel the world competing for the United States. Last week we were in Greensboro, where we won our first national title. Next week we will be traveling to Seoul, South Korea, for the Four Continents Championships. Keep up with us on Twitter and Instagram.

567iceskate

Can someone please explain to me why it seems so many fans, especially American fans (oddly) seem to dislike this team so much? Like they have just won a national Championship and the first thread about them is asking who to replace them?

Maybe its something as simple as just being bored with their choreography (is it too generic?) or wanting them to have the romantic chemistry/programs that other couples do, and I'm thinking too much of it, or something to do with rumors about them (maybe like playing politics, or they're rude off-ice?) that have become overblown with time?

I have never watched skating but was inspired to start because of the Olympics and my daughter begging for lessons and becoming a big fan of the Olympians.

It's been an interesting YouTube hobby for us and Dance is one of my favorites to watch. I personally like this team a lot... I have no eye for technical merit but I think they look interesting together and they seem to enjoy skating with each other. I think they did a dance to a Chopin Nocturne and a character peice with a mermaid theme (daughter liked that one a lot... I thought it was a little silly for the "big league") which were great to watch and I'm surprised that apparently people don't like their entertainment value much when isn't that what Dance is about?

I especially don't understand the problem with her, other than maybe she's very short next to him? But all the other girls seem to be shorter anyway and maybe people just hold tryouts and are stuck with whoever as long as it looks good? I don't know, maybe that's the legitemate concern?

Anyway, if any longtime fans have these answers, it would be much appreciated! Not that it should matter since they're athletes of course, but maybe there's truth to the rumors that she's a mean girl or some other juicy gossip which fuels fan dislike, or could be just as simple as not liking their dancing. Again, they're athletes and I don't want to offend anyone, but I am really curious.

PashaFan

I like C/B but don't love them yet, but adored their FD from last season & their exhibition.
For me, what holds me back from loving them is him. I think she needed a more dominant partner.
Plus, they are being pushed to the top too early. I don't think they are the second best out there yet.
But that's just my personal taste.
I think from a chorographic point of view they are so much better than their programs this season.
But I do find them more interesting than W/P.

MarieM

Grumpy Cynical Ice Dance Lover
The problem ?
1/ The problem is that Igor is so in love with Madison that he did break a sucessfull partnership (Samuelson & Bates) who wasn't formed by him. Because he and I will add Zueva here probably felt Emily was getting "huge", huge meaning "fat". Meaning she wasn't comitted to the sport and to win. Zuerlein wanting to stop was a bad surprise I can agree, but breaking a team to put his personal princess with anyone was not a good idea. I blame Igor in this.
2/ The team doesn't work. They still haven't geled as a "team". He's too Vanilla for her. They are so cold on the ice you rarely get what they want to do.
3/ They do need a choreographer. Stop Using Igor. Igor is a technical mastermind, but when it comes to composition and choreography ? He sucks.
4/ They lack "it". That's not something you can get. Either you have it or not. They don't have it. Few skaters have "it" to be true, but they lack it in spades.

They are good ice dancers, with good knee bend and some cool edges (not too clean but hey they are using blades). The work on their lift is paying off in the early stages of the year but now ? Not anymore.

TanithandBenFan

Author of the Ice and Edge Series
The problem ?
1/ The problem is that Igor is so in love with Madison that he did break a sucessfull partnership (Samuelson & Bates) who wasn't formed by him. Because he and I will add Zueva here probably felt Emily was getting "huge", huge meaning "fat". Meaning she wasn't comitted to the sport and to win. Zuerlein wanting to stop was a bad surprise I can agree, but breaking a team to put his personal princess with anyone was not a good idea. I blame Igor in this.

So you were in Canton and know exactly what happened?

There are plenty of other threads open for C/B bashing. Must their fan/support thread be turned into one of them? :mad:

rustyskater

Nice for Madison and Evan to be in first after short at 4CC. I would have had Shibs 1st, CB 2d, GP 3d and WP 4th.

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
567iceskate, don't listen to MarieM she's full of crap. :p

I have no clue why the hostility towards Madison. Its bizarre if you ask me.

I don't think people so much don't like them as a team as have other teams they like better. They seem to be quiet people who don't generate a lot of interest off ice. And they skate "cool" I think as opposed to teams that are "hot" like Ilinykh or WeaPo so they don't grab people.

In terms of quality, they aren't Davis & White so some may feel they aren't legit champs just because of that. I see them as pretty equal with the Shibutanis rather than a dominant champion team.

I've been a fan of both Madison and Evan since each won Junior worlds with their old partners. I think they are very well matched in style but its not necessarily a style that moves a lot of people.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information