Will we get 2020-21 GP assignments, and when?

Karen-W

Checking Senior Bs for TES mins...
This is from another thread... it's an excerpt from a longer article about changes in tennis:

They've changed the schedule so that a series of events are happening in the NYC area. Creating this kind of travel/event bubble makes sense to me and I think it's the only way we can have a GP.
I have to agree. I think the suggestion of forming a travel bubble in western/central/northern Europe is the best bet. France already hosts a GP, Finland could easily host one, Germany is capable of stepping up, as are Italy, Austria, Poland, Croatia, Slovakia, Czech Republic, Hungary, etc. It wouldn't be ideal or convenient for any North American, Asian or Australian based skaters and their coaching teams to have to transfer over to the region for 6-8 weeks but if they were willing, it would make for a viable GP series and some semblance of a fall skating season.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
Alternatively, they could have it in Australia. That way almost everyone would be inconvenienced equally and, since there are so few cases (and probably none by the Fall), just quarantining for 14 days would probably be all that was needed. There could even be spectators -- locals only.

Australia would have to agree and allow people to come in even though they have a travel ban.

Japanfan

I have to admit you guys have taught me so much valuable information here. like what kind of music my grandparents used to listen to, and what diet soda people drank 40 years ago! 🙄

there are some cool people here like aftershocks and tony but it seems like the majority here are content to have everything shut down the rest of the year and cancel everything, extremely bitter in general, and combative with anyone who dares to disagree.

Why are you reading threads with information you find useless?

And if you find this community bitter and combative with you, why are you still here?

You have made all of 15 posts. You have not been here long enough to learn the culture of this community.

I hate to break it to you, but life CAN go on, if people are smart and safety precautions are put in place. I really wish my friends and family had the option to stay at home 24/7, but we can't.

Trying to make yourself even less welcome, I see.

We've discussed life going on plenty. Guess you haven't noticed.

skatingguy

decently
@skatingguy That order appears to apply only to professional, non-Olympic sports. It might not be applicable to figure skaters.
I agree that it's not entirely clear, and the order does mention a number of professional leagues, but it doesn't explicitly say what athletes are included beyond. Skaters are paid prize money so they are professional athletes but it would seem that if an ISU event, like Skate America, were to go ahead in the it would require the USFS and the ISU to work with Homeland Security to get the athletes and their support teams in to the US, and figure skating is probably not a high priority so who knows whether it could actually be worked out.

Yuri

So this thread is where all of the cool "kids" have been hanging out this week? Oh so shocked there isn't any real discussion on which skaters will be assigned to which GP event! Just another thread destroyed by amateur epidemiologist discussion among the great depressed...but enlivened by a board suicide!

As mentioned a few posts ago, the USTA is planning on holding the US Open tennis tournament on schedule just outside of NYC in Flushing Meadows. Most likely without spectators, which is a shame as I actually attended the 2019 US Open as my first professional tennis event and absolutely loved it!

One interesting point in the NY Times article is that most countries will be waiving their two-week quarantines for athletes as of July 1, so that argument appears to be moot for the Grand Prix Series. There are many quotes from top tennis players and it's fascinating why so many top players aren't keen on attending--about equally divided between players afraid of C-19 and those who believe (e.g., Novak Djokovic) the "bubble" conditions are so over-the-top (like no Manhattan hotels/restaurants/nightlife) that they don't want to fly into the USA.

It appears NBA athletes are pushing back against the bubble-like conditions to the extent that players don't want to spend 2-3 months with Mickey Mouse! As to Major League Baseball, the usual players union-owner disputes are killing off the 2020 season, all about $$$.

gkelly

Skaters are paid prize money so they are professional athletes but it would seem that if an ISU event,

At some competitions, if they place high enough at those events.

There are plenty of skaters who compete internationally and never earn a cent of prize money. Others who might earn a few thousand now and then but not enough to keep them in ice time and lessons for a month, much less live on for a year.

At least they're allowed to earn money in other ways related to their sport (sponsorships, coaching, etc.), which wasn't always the case.

The most successful competitors may earn a decent living from prize money and related sources. But we're talking about maybe dozens of skaters, not international competitors in general.

Bellanca

"Later this year" could be after the scheduled date for the Grand Prix Final. :shuffle:
I believe all interested parties are trying their best, but the GP might have to take a back seat. Things could easily turn on a dime, though. Until an official announcement is made, I will remain hopeful.

cholla

Grand Duchess of Savoie - Marquessa of Chartreuse
@starrynight Speaking as a very low level adult skater, I would be surprised if there were skaters who preferred to skate only in front of judges. That could feel a lot like taking a skating test, which can be really scary :lol:
I spoke with several international elite skaters recently and none of them was happy at the idea of a competition held without an audience. Given the choice, some'd even prefer cancelation pure and simple. Strangely enough, none of these ones told me about the loss of money it'd involve, although it seemed like an important factor to me. But, besides the fact that an empty rink makes the whole thing looking like a scary test, the audience is often a huge help and incentive and silence "sounds" very heavy. I'd hate to attend a competition in an empty rink. I once attended a soccer game without an audience (after there had been huge mean fights between supporters) and it looked like funerals...

@skatingguy That order appears to apply only to professional, non-Olympic sports. It might not be applicable to figure skaters.
Yes, I think that's it. Kevin Aymoz, for instance, can't travel back to the US just as Maé-B Meité and Wagret/Souquet can't travel back to France.

As for French GP, it seems (I mean, seems) that it could be held given the crud doesn't flare up again and international borders are open.

Last edited:

skatingguy

decently
At some competitions, if they place high enough at those events.

There are plenty of skaters who compete internationally and never earn a cent of prize money. Others who might earn a few thousand now and then but not enough to keep them in ice time and lessons for a month, much less live on for a year.

At least they're allowed to earn money in other ways related to their sport (sponsorships, coaching, etc.), which wasn't always the case.

The most successful competitors may earn a decent living from prize money and related sources. But we're talking about maybe dozens of skaters, not international competitors in general.
That's not really the point.

Foolhardy Ham Lint

Alternatively, they could have it in Australia. That way almost everyone would be inconvenienced equally and, since there are so few cases (and probably none by the Fall), just quarantining for 14 days would probably be all that was needed. There could even be spectators -- locals only.

Australia would have to agree and allow people to come in even though they have a travel ban.

After the Ruby Princess cruise ship debacle which caused a spike in the illness, I don't think Australia would be too keen to open its international borders to the world quite yet.

I am amazed our case numbers are still quite low, considering how cavalier some folks were and still are.

Bunny Hop

Queen of the Workaround

With the best will in the world, I doubt we'd sell enough tickets to locals. Australia is meant to be a sport loving nation but it has to be the right sport and figure skating doesn't involve any sort of ball.

I am retaining a slither of hope that 4CC will still take place, but a lot of things have to fall into place for that to happen, including opening of borders, which nobody is talking about at the moment. Even opening the proposed Australia-New Zealand travel bubble idea has gone off the boil, let alone anywhere else.

Last edited:

haribobo

Why is summer so hot omg
I wonder if they would consider doing a totally modified version of the GP, lets say 2-3 events (CHN, JPN, FRA), with singles fields of 18 or 24 skaters. Every skater does 1 event, and the medalists make the GPF.

Orm Irian

I wonder if they would consider doing a totally modified version of the GP, lets say 2-3 events (CHN, JPN, FRA), with singles fields of 18 or 24 skaters. Every skater does 1 event, and the medalists make the GPF.

China's frantically trying to stop a cluster in Beijing from turning into a second wave right now; I doubt they'd risk it.

Foolhardy Ham Lint

With the best will in the world, I doubt we'd sell enought tickets to locals. Australia is meant to be a sport loving nation but it has to be the right sport and figure skating doesn't involve any sort of ball.

I am retaining a slither of hope that 4CC will still take place, but a lot of things have to fall into place for that to happen, including opening of borders, which nobody is talking about at the moment. Even opening the proposed Australia-New Zealand travel bubble idea has gone off the boil, let alone anywhere else.

Montreal was cancelled days before the event. I wonder if the ISU has created a better contingency plan for Sydney?

Last edited:

thvu

Usova's Apprentice
I will be in Vegas in October, if there's figure skating or not.... by the way that's still more than 4 months away. some of you seem to think you know what the situation will be like so far in the future.
While the rest of us have rational discussion, using data and listening to experts who are far more educated and knowledgeable than us, I see you still love your straw men! They must give you so much comfort while you bask in feeling like the only sane person in the room. What a fun and mentally healthy life that must be.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
Montreal was cancelled days before the event. I wonder if the ISU has created a better contingency plan for Sydney?

I wouldn't be surprised if the ISU held off in Montreal until the provincial/municipal governments banned large gatherings. Then they would probably be able to get some kind of payout on event cancellation insurance, as opposed to making the decision themselves to cancel. Other than taking out cancellation insurance that has more generous terms, I'm not sure the ISU could prepare any differently for Sydney, because the decision in Montreal might have been out of their hands.

Jayar

I personally think that there should be one location selected-- all of the athletes, officials, etc., are confined to one location.

Week 1
Mon-Tues: Skate 'America'
Wed-Thurs: Skate 'Canada'
Fri-Sat: 'Rostelecom'
Sunday-- OFF

Week 2:
Mon-Tues: 'France'
Wed-Thurs: Cup of 'China'
Fri-Sat: 'NHK' Trophy
Sunday-- OFF

Week 3:
Grand Prix Final

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
That isn't a terrible idea, but there is more to it than just that. Will there be a quarantine period for some/all of these people? Will it only be for those coming from certain countries? How much time away from studies, real work, or whatever else is it going to require? I'd think going into any airport to get from A to B is probably enough that most countries would require a screening period upon entering, and then the same thing when they return to wherever A is.

If they are confined to one location, the ISU then becomes responsible for scheduling ice time all within the same place (again that's a lot of athletes for one place), they have to worry about booking out entire hotels, and they probably have to supply them with all of their food since they would all be staying in said bubble and otherwise not leaving their hotels in the down time. That also means some kind of transportation to and from the rink whenever the skaters have practice or competition. And you're going to need a hell of a lot of judges and different tech panels from event to event unless you think using the same 12 in each discipline would work.

I think there are a lot of 'probably not going to happen' things in the above, but the biggest being getting the high-risk officials, judges, and coaches from one place to the other and having them feel safe in doing so. And the three weeks you propose could easily turn into 7 weeks of doing nothing but staying in a hotel and I'm quite sure it's less than ideal even for those eager to get back to competition. I also don't think the 'little to no fans' idea is something the skaters want, at least from what I've heard.

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
I also don't think the 'little to no fans' idea is something the skaters want, at least from what I've heard.

Unfortunately, that's going to have to be the reality they live with for now. They're gonna have to suck that one up.

The "bubble" idea just has too many flaws. Remember also that the judges and officials are volunteers. Many have jobs. They use their leave to go to comps. If they have to quarantine in the bubble country prior to the event, and then quarantine in their own country upon return, that would be, as @Tony Wheeler said, 7 weeks. Two whole months almost, for a week of competition!

Orm Irian

Unfortunately, that's going to have to be the reality they live with for now. They're gonna have to suck that one up.

The "bubble" idea just has too many flaws. Remember also that the judges and officials are volunteers. Many have jobs. They use their leave to go to comps. If they have to quarantine in the bubble country prior to the event, and then quarantine in their own country upon return, that would be, as @Tony Wheeler said, 7 weeks. Two whole months almost, for a week of competition!

Not to mention, for skaters who are still minors, would one of their parents have to come and stay in the bubble with them, potentially leaving a partner and other children for seven weeks plus two quarantines? If not, who chaperones those skaters? What about the drug testers - how do you not only get them into the bubble but keep them in a smaller bubble-within-the-bubble away from the skaters for the duration of the competition without a) any breaches that might compromise the results of the tests or b) damaging their mental health via prolonged strict isolation? What about team doctors who will have to leave behind their practices and possibly hire locums, do they get compensated for loss of earnings/extra costs and if so by whom? What about the camera crew/s, do they get compensated for not being able to find other work on the days when competitions aren't happening, and if so, who pays them for it? What about those skaters who have part-time jobs they would have to leave (and risk losing) for over two months, losing out on regular pay, do they get compensation? And who cooks for and cleans up after the skaters, parents, chaperones, team doctors, judges, officials, drug testers, camera crews, etc, for seven weeks plus without being able to go home and see their families even once - and again, who pays for them all?

It's logistically impossible in a sport that runs on volunteerism to keep costs down. The 'host' federations wouldn't be able to cover the costs and neither would the ISU.

Last edited:

Lemonade20

If I agreed with you, we’d both be wrong.
I have no idea how they will proceed with all of this. I can’t imagine skating to an almost empty arena. There’s nothing like seeing people cheer for you. I do wonder if the countries will each do their own events though

MacMadame

Doing all the things

I agree that skaters will have to suck it up on this one.

But for the volunteers, that could be solved by the ISU actually paying them. Which gets into the main reason this won't happen... it's too expensive.

I know people want a GP but it's not required. We all know top-level skaters (i.e., podium threats) who just skip it for their own reasons. I think the ISU should concentrate on making 4CCs, Euros and Worlds happen and not worry about the GP at all.

Lemonade20

If I agreed with you, we’d both be wrong.
I agree that skaters will have to suck it up on this one.

But for the volunteers, that could be solved by the ISU actually paying them. Which gets into the main reason this won't happen... it's too expensive.

I know people want a GP but it's not required. We all know top-level skaters (i.e., podium threats) who just skip it for their own reasons. I think the ISU should concentrate on making 4CCs, Euros and Worlds happen and not worry about the GP at all.

Sounds like the most feasible solution!

Rebecca Moose

Banned Member
And if you find this community bitter and combative with you, why are you still here?

um it's called the internet. this is what we do.

While the rest of us have rational discussion, using data and listening to experts who are far more educated and knowledgeable than us, I see you still love your straw men! They must give you so much comfort while you bask in feeling like the only sane person in the room. What a fun and mentally healthy life that must be.

triggered, much? I really don't have the time to or care to argue with you. as hard as it is to believe, my thoughts about this aren't that extreme and tons of people feel like I do.

besides, why waste your time with straw men when there are so many available real men out there? especially when they're hot and unmasked. 🤣

Japanfan

um it's called the internet. this is what we do.

You mean, that is what you do.

I don't find internet activities bitter and combative generally. We do have some knock-down :argue: arguments on this board about skating and other things (e.g. politics), but arguing/debating are generally respectful. Best to back-up claims with sources/evidence, and be prepared to be challenged - but that kind of 'combative' is normal in the world of debate.

FSU is a highly successful forum in terms of numbers and participation. Many of us have been here for the entire 20 years of the board's existence.

You have made only 19 posts, not enough to familiarize you with the forum's culture. Trust on this board is earned, as it is in life. I'm sorry to say you are not doing well in that regard.

Last edited:

manhn

Are empty arenas really a hardship for the skaters? Without making fun of certain events, at the very least these skaters did events as juniors and younger where no one attended. As a viewer, I have been to events where I was practically the only person. And oftentimes when I watch stuff on tv, they really mute the audience.

Japanfan

Are empty arenas really a hardship for the skaters? Without making fun of certain events, at the very least these skaters did events as juniors and younger where no one attended. As a viewer, I have been to events where I was practically the only person. And oftentimes when I watch stuff on tv, they really mute the audience.

It certainly would be for skaters like Nam, who feed of the energy of an audience. Perhaps there are some skaters who would feel less nervous competing in an empty arena, but I'd hazard a guess in saying that those would probably be in the minority. Elite competitors are used to competing in front of an audience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information