Will we get 2020-21 GP assignments, and when?

D

Deleted member 78951

Until they open borders to people from everywhere else. If you think they are only going to open borders to American figure skaters..... :lol:

Don't forget Russia is also seeing an increase in numbers.

Maybe it would be possible to give some exemptions of the quarantain....like for the Formula 1 the british government gave an exception on the quarantaine.

Maybe we just hold the grand prix in countries that are safe, with the skaters that are safe. i think in future month the travel will be allowed and everyone will have to do a test before departure or after arrival.

In Germany we have 5500 active cases out of 83 000 000 residents. It doesnt make sense to keep everything closed and hide

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
I think domestic competitions could be possible. I don't think the ISU should be in control of planning them, though. The ISU has officials that would need to come from all over the place, skaters who are not training in their home countries, etc. If countries are still unsure of what to do, the ISU shouldn't have to be in a place to decide all of that themselves. Sports in general are a big question mark right now- even the ones that CAN restrict all of their athletes to hotels or only traveling together.

The whole 'it doesn't make sense to keep everything closed and hide' thing would make sense, but we are seeing that reopening too hastily to cater to a bunch of people (who were never wanting to follow any safety precautions to begin) is ending up disastrous. There will be many more cities like Houston, and I'm sure it won't be limited just to the US. There's such thing as reopening and giving people the chance to do more than sit at home, and there's such thing as people that don't care at all/haven't taken this seriously and feel they are immune to both following rules and being considerate of others. We all can say that here on this board we will do the right thing, but it doesn't mean everyone shares that same logic.

Lemonade20

If I agreed with you, we’d both be wrong.
That got me thinking: what if a country can’t send their skaters? Would they still go ahead with a competition? I can’t imagine just two or three countries competing

tony

That got me thinking: what if a country can’t send their skaters? Would they still go ahead with a competition? I can’t imagine just two or three countries competing

If Russia and the USA continue this trajectory into the next 2 months or so (and the US isn't going to slow down any time soon), I'd be very surprised if other countries actually allowed travel to/from those two. Removing the USA and RUS from figure skating competitions would be wiping out up to 50% of the Grand Prix fields, not to mention two of the six Grand Prix stops. Canada isn't going to want other countries coming in. I'm sure Japan, China, and France don't want to start opening up travel to the possibility of their numbers starting to shift upwards again. Japan has the 2021 Olympics to worry about trying to get together. They aren't going to open up easily to the world with that in mind. (ETA- the whole idea of quarantining for two weeks before/after or whatever the countries propose isn't going to work for skating IMO).

I mentioned a month or so ago, but I heard the ISU is just praying that it's possible to hold Worlds sometime in the first half of 2021. The rest, especially the idea of a Grand Prix or any other international 'series' for the rest of 2020, just seems completely unrealistic now. Maybe not at the beginning of these shutdowns, but I'd think it's off the table now.

taz'smum

'Be Kind' - every skater has their own story
... I heard the ISU is just praying that it's possible to hold Worlds sometime in the first half of 2021. The rest, especially the idea of a Grand Prix or any other international 'series' for the rest of 2020, just seems completely unrealistic now. Maybe not at the beginning of these shutdowns, but I'd think it's off the table now.

Sadly I think you are right. :cry:

The very best case scenario would be national competitions, perhaps a few European B Internationals with selective countries or maybe smaller inter European comps and Worlds some time in the first half of 2021.

Then maybe, but only maybe, there could be a semi-normal Olympic season.

Though the logistics of ranking/qualifications would be a nightmare for the ISU going into the Olympic season.
At least if they hold worlds in the first half of 2021, that would help with the 2021/22 GP & Worlds allocations.

Miezekatze

I think travel within in the EU will be possible nearly completely from end of June (with the exception of the UK with their quarantine rules, plus a couple of countries are still imposing restrictions against Sweden). But looking at the depths of skating fields competitions that would only have skaters from Italy, France, Germany, Austria, Netherlands, Spain and the likes would not exactly make for very good fields :shuffle: But having something like "mid-European competitions", plus ones for Australia/new Zealand, Russia having domestic stuff, something with Asian countries and something North AMerican seems possible. But that's really more domestic than international, even if some fields might be froma handfull of countries.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
The ISU can only hold competitions if there is a federation willing to sponsor them and pay the costs of holding them. And the federation can only do that if there is a local club/group willing to do the organization. And, that comes down to not just skaters competing, but $$$$ to pay for venue. It's clear some of the people expressing wishful thinking in this thread haven't a clue as to what is actually involved.

Miezekatze

The ISU can only hold competitions if there is a federation willing to sponsor them and pay the costs of holding them. And the federation can only do that if there is a local club/group willing to do the organization. And, that comes down to not just skaters competing, but $$$$ to pay for venue. It's clear some of the people expressing wishful thinking in this thread haven't a clue as to what is actually involved.

Yeah and even in Germany where things are restarting probably among the most already, most venues that could hold bigger sports events are still in the process of deciding if and how to reopen at all. Some just decide that it's not possible to earn enough money with all sort of hygiene rules and capacity limits and prefer to stay closed. And the ones who open will probably be used first and foremost by sports and other events with a better financial situation.

D

Deleted member 78951

The clue of having been involved in over 70 elite events in figure skating in last ten years...but what do i know

Miezekatze

The clue of having been involved in over 70 elite events in figure skating in last ten years...but what do i know

Yeah, well maybe then you can use your undoubtedly numerous connections to find out actual existing near future plans instead of just speculating here. It's not if events are going to happen or not based on how positive or negative the probability is discussed here. :lol:

D

Deleted member 78951

Are you a doctor, sociologist, and infectious disease expert too! :rofl:

Nope, are you?

D

Deleted member 78951

Until today i thought the japanese fans are the worst...but being here for only a couple of days shows different...cant wait until my account is deleted

D

Deleted member 78951

Right, so neither of us have the qualifications to pontificate on putting on sporting events during the age of *********-19. Got it!

But i am working in sports business and have knowledge about when events will happen and where

thvu

Usova's Apprentice
But i am working in sports business and have knowledge about when events will happen and where
Translation: “But, but but but I’m me! Of course I know how to navigate a multitude of state lockdown and quarantine rules in order to hold an international event and keep audiences and athletes safe all while mitigating and preventing potential financial liability from possible infections! I don’t need actual experience! I’m me!”

D

Deleted member 78951

Translation: “But, but but but I’m me! Of course I know how to navigate a multitude of state lockdown and quarantine rules in order to hold an international event and keep audiences and athletes safe all while mitigating and preventing potential financial liability from possible infections! I don’t need actual experience! I’m me!”
Woah how mean. What do you know about sport events? We don't need audience...and if there is no audience, athletes are safe. How can you attack me if you dont even now me? Just because your country is too stupid to handle this virus (because of the president and the many residents) it doesnt mean other countries are as stupid.

haribobo

Why is summer so hot omg
Thanks for the replies! It would be so easy for the feds to go on a zoom chat for an hour w translators and make the damn assignments but nobody is saying if they're even gonna try. I want to ooh and ahh over them for 2 days

AngieNikodinovLove

Frangi & Piazza & Paul & Hektor & Theo. Oh My! 😝
My creative juices thought of this.

Take a country that is neutral (somewhat) but more importantly has very low cases....say Germany... for example.... And ALSO a country that is NOT one of the 6 stops on GP circuit.

Have ALL 6 competitions there, 6 weekends in a row. Granted if a venue has that availability. All skaters go there, compete and stay and train locally especially if they have back to back competitions or are just a few weekends apart (to cut down on unnecessary travel)

is it perfect? No. Is it ideal? No. But closer to less risks perhaps.

Audience? Minimally, from those in local regions and some whom have traveled.

Will it please everyone? No. Has anything ever pleased everyone? No. Is it a solution. Yes, kinda. There is no perfect way to do this. And people need to agree on that.

It will be a low key, low budget GP circuit but a way to try and get it done. I havent worked out all the costs but ISU and skating unions need to come together on it.

ANL has spoken.

Last edited:

once_upon

Better off now than 4 years ago? Have TP now
You might be able to do that, but what about the skaters that assigned because the host countries get x number of spots at their host events?
Do the usual host federation get to send those skaters to the select country for 8 weeks (considering the quarantine time)?
Do the skaters, coaches, chaperones, judges stay in the same hotel, eat at the same place, only use one rink where staff is also isolated etc? In other words make their own isolated community? Who pays for all of the housing, food?

tony

My creative juices thought of this.

Take a country that is neutral (somewhat) but more importantly has very low cases....say Germany... for example.... And ALSO a country that is NOT one of the 6 stops on GP circuit.

Have ALL 6 competitions there, 6 weekends in a row. All skaters go there, compete and stay and train locally especially if they have back to back competitions or are just a few weekends apart (to cut down on unnecessary travel)

is it perfect? No, Is it ideal? No. But closer to less risks perhaps.

Crowds or audience? Minimally, from those in local regions and some whom have traveled.

Will it please everyone? No. Has anything ever pleased everyone? No. Is it a solution. Yes, kinda. There is no perfect way to do this. And people need to agree on that.

ANL has spoken.

Then you have a TON of skaters all trying to get ice time at rinks that have been opened in the 'bubble' that you propose. This would also likely take away ice time from local skaters who aren't at Grand Prix level. You would have coaches gone for 8 weeks or so and not with their skaters back home. You would have officials (same judges?) stuck in the same place for 6 weeks - remember judges are volunteer and many of them have careers outside of skating. You would probably need to book out entire hotels for that time. Do you let the skaters and coaches and officials out of the hotels when the competitions aren't happening? Are they going to public gyms in their down time?

The NBA is going to try something like this. But the NBA has a lot of spending money and a lot of money riding on television rights- and most importantly, all of these athletes are already in the US. The money is surely there to create their own little village.

Remember, to get to Point B (let's say Germany), there's no private plane transporting all of these people from each of their countries. There are more variables than just getting them to the rink and starting the competitions.

Also- low budget? :lol:

AngieNikodinovLove

Frangi & Piazza & Paul & Hektor & Theo. Oh My! 😝
^^^ Motel 6 equivolents Baby!!!!

No Marriott Courtyards this time around. Sacrifices must be made by everyone!! (Except Bradie)

Also, not really meaning to create a "bubble"...but those who have comps that are 1 or 2 weeks separated they stay.

And, yes these are different times.... no skater will possibly have the same amount of training time as before..... (And maybe ANL gets his wish of choreography getting more importance than quad lutzes from 15 year olds. tee-hee)

Food, accommodations... thats what I mean when I say ISU and unions need to hash out... ANL CANT possible think of everything... I need time to drink!

Last edited:

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
I just learned of a major dance comp that‘s considering going remote. Of course, it’s pretty easy to film dance with a couple of stationary cameras. Maybe the ISU could invest in the new cameras that can track motion? Place two of them on the judges side and they’d get the same experience as they do now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information