UPDATED/CONFIRMED: Evgenia Medvedeva leaving Tutberidze for Orser

babayaga

Why??? is that a thing? Is that what happens when someone leaves a coach?
:) I think this is a standard way to say good bye to the previous coach in Russia. I think she really means she hopes Zhenya will show up to the rink to at least say good bye in person. I don't know how exactly Tutberidze found out about the coaching change, but it does look like she did not hear it from Zhenya directly.

arakwafan2006

The Ice Network interview brought up her incorrect edge and if Brian was going to fix it. The answer made me smile. He said “ if she’s open to it”. This is why he does so well. He works very well for both the highly motivated as well as those that struggle because of the respect he has for the skater and the fact that it’s their career.

Tracy Wilson’s work will be easier because Evgenia is a complete skater for sure

barbarafan

:) I think this is a standard way to say good bye to the previous coach in Russia. I think she really means she hopes Zhenya will show up to the rink to at least say good bye in person. I don't know how exactly Tutberidze found out about the coaching change, but it does look like she did not hear it from Zhenya directly.

Probably from the head of SAmbo-70 who was informed right away when official....Brian only asked April 22nd.

BittyBug

Disgusted
I've been underwhelmed with Wilson's choreography in recent years, so I was hoping for Nichol or Buttle. But almost anyone is better than Averbukh.
Since Med admires Kostner, maybe she will eventually migrate to Nichol. But I hope she'll take this opportunity to explore a number of styles and perhaps even work with someone unconventional, like a dancer (on the floor) rather than one of the usual suspects.

dinakt

Why does she always come across as a little condescending or mannered? Something about her interview tone... of course she has the right to not answer stupid journalist questions... but something about her tone has always struck me as a " little bit off"

Nah... Evgenia has an unusually deep voice and a slow, deliberate way of speaking. She has always had that "think first then talk" manner- does not seem condescending to me at all, just thought-out.
Eteri is on Russian tv again, saying that she hopes that "Evgenia will have the decency to come to the rink and bring her (Eteri) flowers"
And that situations like this aren't new for her, students had left her in the past, so she already got herself mentally ready for this
https://www.1tv.ru/news/2018-05-07/...hi_chto_uhodit_ot_eteri_tutberidze?start=auto
:rolleyes:
I really wish 1TV would not repeat as a fact that Eteri learned about the change from "their news". That is just not supported by everything else that was going on during the last few weeks.

barbarafan

Nah... Evgenia has an unusually deep voice and a slow, deliberate way of speaking. She has always had that "think first then talk" manner- does not seem condescending to me at all, just thought-out.

I really wish 1TV would not repeat as a fact that Eteri learned about the change from "their news". That is just not supported by everything else that was going on during the last few weeks.

I think she would send flowers to Eteri if something was really wrong with her.

Erin

Banned Member
I've been underwhelmed with Wilson's choreography in recent years, so I was hoping for Nichol or Buttle. But almost anyone is better than Averbukh.

Bourne would have been my first choice - Medvedeva can really dance and I think Bourne could have brought that out in her. I'm not sure which of Buttle/Nichol/Wilson would be by next choice, as all three can be hit or miss. They can be great when they are inspired and not so much when they aren't inspired, but I'm hoping that Janny would inspire any one of them. So I'm feeling cautiously optimistic, even though I do agree that I'm having trouble thinking of a great program from Wilson recently. But I agree that the most important thing is no more Averbukh. I love that she is excited about picking her own programs for once (and hopefully she doesn't come up with yet another tired retread of a warhorse).

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
Bourne would have been my first choice - Medvedeva can really dance and I think Bourne could have brought that out in her. I'm not sure which of Buttle/Nichol/Wilson would be by next choice, as all three can be hit or miss. They can be great when they are inspired and not so much when they aren't inspired, but I'm hoping that Janny would inspire any one of them. So I'm feeling cautiously optimistic, even though I do agree that I'm having trouble thinking of a great program from Wilson recently. But I agree that the most important thing is no more Averbukh. I love that she is excited about picking her own programs for once (and hopefully she doesn't come up with yet another tired retread of a warhorse).

Anything BUT Nichol’s boring formula, stuck in year 2000. Hoping for Wilson but Buttle also exciting.

skatepixie

I like Averbukh better than Nichol or Wilson's recent work. Neutral on Buttle. But I don't tend to like Nichol's work for Ladies. I realize, now, as an adult skating fan, that I didn't dislike Kwan. Not really. I disliked Lori's work.

LarrySK8

Yeah, I can see how Medvedeva needs to start over as a true senior lady. So the past three years in seniors don’t count? She didn’t earn two gold medals at worlds and two silver medals at Olympics as a senior lady? Or was that a false senior lady and now she will be the true senior lady, or how are we supposed to interpret that statement?

To live and skate as an adult, having the opportunity to make her own choices, have input and freedom in regard to the skating she does is being a true senior skater - not being told what to do, how to do it and only qualify due to being 15.

Were you dropped on your head as an infant or just born to make stupid wisecracks?

muffinplus

Fair enough, it's just something that I picked up from her other interviews not this one necessarily, maybe I'm off

Last edited:

screech

It'll be exciting to see Evgenia with fresh influences around her. I look forward to it and all the best to her.

... just so long as Brian doesn't make her skate to Gershwin/Rhapsody in Blue. I will not stand for this :scream::drama:
I'm pretty sure Brian's skaters have a LOT of input in their programs, and discuss them pretty thoroughly with the choreographers.

My biggest worry for Evgenia right now is how the Russian fed will view her. I don't want them to lowball her or hold her back because she left Russia.

Toronto is such a ridiculously multicultural city, that I think her language skills will be really good. From the few times I've heard her speak, it seems like her English is better than Hanyu's.

skatepixie

My biggest worry for Evgenia right now is how the Russian fed will view her. I don't want them to lowball her or hold her back because she left Russia.

I'm sure she went about it the right way and got permission and all that.

Rus Fed wants medals, first and foremost. If she skates well under Orser, they won't lowball her. Especially now that they've seen that Alina is capable of having a meltdown skate...

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information