UPDATED/CONFIRMED: Evgenia Medvedeva leaving Tutberidze for Orser

Sasha is DIVINE

As a long time Zhenya fan, I am overjoyed with this news!

I knew there was a good chance she would lose the Olympics and the silver lining was there was a strong possibility we would get four more years of her skating and development. I had no idea it would be under the tutelage of Brian Orser with David Wilson choreography to boot! Sometimes dreams do come true!

I'm beyond excited about this journey and I have very high hopes for what is to come for Zhenya, both competitively and artistically.

muffinplus

Trankov's interview:
  • I don’t know why Medvedeva’s coach change caused such a reaction, said Trankov. A coaching change, and so what? Nothing special.
  • The subject of Medvedeva’s coaching change overshadowed Lokomotiv’s win and Hockey World Championships. That’s why I’m interested in knowing your views, as an Olympic champion
  • I understand why Zhenya made such a decision. She wants to continue her athletic career because as a great champion she understands that she could have become an Olympic Champion but, unfortunately, something didn’t work out. So naturally she wants to get another chance, and she has time to do so .
  • Why couldn’t she become Olympic champion in Tutberidze’s group?
  • History has shown that in Eteri Georgievna’s group, when a new star comes along, the old star is no longer needed. At first it was Polina Shelepen who got all the attention and who won everywhere. Then it was Yulia Lipnitskaya, and after Evgenia Medvedeva appeared. And right now it’s Alina Zagitova. Zhenya doesn’t want to repeat the path of her predecessors and finish her career, so she made the only decision that made sense for her – to try and continue her career in another coaching team. I think this decision not to hang up the skates and to continue skating should only be welcomed
  • Now Medeveva will be living in Canada. Will it be less complicated for her there?
  • In North America, there are are a lot of positive factors for her. There is also one other very important thing – Eteri Georgievna never worked with adult athletes, she is a coach whose main specialty is coaching young girls, and Zhenya is a mature young woman. Eteri Georgievna is A+ when it comes to coaching junior girls who become Olympic champions, but they are still juniors. As for what results she will have with an adult skater – we don’t know. So Medvedeva’s choice of Orser is understandable as he had results with already accomplished athletes - Javier Fernandez, Yuzuru Hanyu and Canadan skaters, including Meaghan Duhamel (ummmm, what ? what will Meaghan have to say about this one :lol:)
  • What are Brian Orser’s strengths?
  • I cannot make any specific comments since I don’t know him as a coach or anything about his methods.
  • What do you think about the media war between Medevdeva and Tutberidze?
  • Eteri Georgievna is a tough coach, naturally. I know Zhenya well and I know that she is an intelligent, measured and polite individual. Intelligent beyond her years. So I don’t understand why it was necessary to make public on National TV private conversations. There is always a trust between an athlete and a coach, you tell them things you wouldn’t tell anyone else. Maybe things you wouldn’t even tell your mom but you would tell your coach because of how much time you spend with them. And in this situation, to air everything out for public judgement, despite some misunderstanding that happened, is not really right. We had some differences with Nina Mikhailovna Mozer, but she never allowed herself to air our private conversations in public. I don’t want to think about who won this media war, but personally, I didn’t like hearing about personal business of a coach and an athlete on National TV.
  • Do you think Medvedeva-Tutberidze relationship will get better over time?
  • I’m sure Zhenya Medvedeva never had a fight with anyone. Eteri Georgievna is a Southern, hot-blooded temperamental individual. Maybe after some time she will cool down, as for Zhenya, I’m sure she never had a fight with anyone. I don’t have any reason to think she has any ill will towards her coach. I’ll repeat – Medvedeva is a very reasoned, balanced, tactful individual. By the way, were just at show in Korea together, where Orser was also present there
  • Did you understand then that Medvedeva is moving to him?
  • There were no hints whatsoever that they are talking or something like that. Everything was out in the open, no hidden games. Although, there were rumors that Zhenya is leaving Eteri Georgievna right after the Olympics
  • Do you think Medvedeva will be cordial with Tutberidze at their next meeting after their personal conversations were made public (by Tutberidze) ?
  • I am sure that when they will run into each other at competitions. Zhenia will say hello. That’s all and there won’t be any issues. She will never be rude. I don’t know a more decent person in skating than Medvedeva.

Last edited:

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!

I knew there was a good chance she would lose the Olympics and the silver lining was there was a strong possibility we would get four more years of her skating and development. I had no idea it would be under the tutelage of Brian Orser with David Wilson choreography to boot! Sometimes dreams do come true!

I'm beyond excited about this journey and I have very high hopes for what is to come for Zhenya, both competitively and artistically.

I wonder what Mama Tursynbaeva has to say about these new developments (daughter’s new rinkmate)?

lala

@lala I know you're nice, not evil. But you once wrote you were earlier influenced by crazy ladies on Pluhsenko message boards or something and now act like them. Don't! This is not the first time Eteri trashes her leaving students. Adult, so much. It's no excuse for it. And no need to defend her;)

Hey! Don't get me wrong! :) I just want to clear: I'm happy with Evgenia's decision! Probably that will be great for her, for Russia, for the FS fans, for.. etc! Eteri isn't too likeable but she was good for Evgenia for 11 years they were like mother and daughter. If we like Evgenia as a skater that is Eteri's work. I'm missing one thing: Zhenya didn't thanked to Eteri and her team their work face to face. She wasn't fair. Is this too much? You know I have regretted writing my opinion because this whole thing is not too important for me. Just my opinion. I like Evgenia and I will like her.

The Russian posters didn't write critical comment about Zhenya in this matter here but many Russian fs fans dissatisfied with her because of it. And this reassured me I'm not the only one who has such opinion.

kwanatic

Trankov's interview:
History has shown that in Eteri Georgievna’s group, when a new star comes along, the old star is no longer needed. At first it was Polina Shelepen who got all the attention and who won everywhere. Then it was Yulia Lipnitskaya, and after Evgenia Medvedeva appeared. And right now it’s Alina Zagitova. Zhenya doesn’t want to repeat the path of her predecessors and finish her career, so she made the only decision that made sense for her – to try and continue her career in another coaching team. I think this decision not to hang up the skates and to continue skating should only be welcomed.

There is also one other very important thing – Eteri Georgievna never worked with adult athletes, she is a coach whose main specialty is coaching young girls, and Zhenya is a mature young woman. Eteri Georgievna is A+ when it comes to coaching junior girls who become Olympic champions, but they are still juniors. As for what results she will have with an adult skater – we don’t know. So Medvedeva’s choice of Orser is understandable as he had results with already accomplished athletes

This is the way Eteri works. She coaches the younger girls to titles but as soon as they hit around 17/18 they start to lose steam. By that time a fresh new phenom has shown up and Eteri's attention shifts to the newer skater. This leaves the older skater (who is dealing with body changes/technique issues due to growth and really needs a coach to help guide them through) to fend for themselves.

After Pyeongchang the writing was on the wall. Alina is the new #1 in Eteri's group...whether Eteri wanted it or not, and I genuinely believe she did not want that. Still, it is what it is.

Evgenia knows she wants to stay in another 4 years for a shot at gold in Beijing. With Alina as #1 and Trusova, Kostornaia and other promising soon-to-be-15-year-olds coming up, Evgenia gracefully took her leave. Rather follow the path of her predecessors and fade into the background of the group, she decided to head it off by removing herself and going to a coach who can guide her through the next phase of her career.

Kudos to her for taking her career by the horns rather than allow herself to "fall off" and disappear.

Catherine M

I'm very happy for Evgenia to have this opportunity to continue her career at such a great rink as the Cricket club. It takes a lot of guts to move to a new country but with the support she'll receive from the other skaters, I'm sure she'll be just fine.

Can't wait to see if she gets Skate Canada in Laval as I have tickets and it would be a treat to see her skate live again.

babayaga

Yeah right, and her own group in vk had just randomly been deleting stuff about Medvedeva for ten days before she learnt it via the news. Her own daughter had just randomly decided to delete all Zhenya related pics in Instagram.
I don't think Eteri found out from the news, but I do believe she did not find out about the move from Evgenia herself. Eteri's reaction is idiotic and childish, but it seemed that she was attached to Medvedeva more than to any other student she ever had. They both talked about how special their relationship was in public many times, Evgenia called Eteri her second mom and all. I don't know, I feel bad for Tutberizde, even though she is the one acting horribly and immature.

wickedwitch

I don't think Eteri found out from the news, but I do believe she did not find out about the move from Evgenia herself. Eteri's reaction is idiotic and childish, but it seemed that she was attached to Medvedeva more than to any other student she ever had. They both talked about how special their relationship was in public many times, Evgenia called Eteri her second mom and all. I don't know, I feel bad for Tutberizde, even though she is the one acting horribly and immature.
Yeah, I despise Eteri's methods, but she clearly had an affection for Evgenia that she had for no other student. This must hurt.

aftershocks

Banned Member

Exactly. Ironically, winning the Olympic silver medal (losing the gold) brings many silver linings. It's great that Evgenia lost the gold if it means she will improve and grow as a skater! Such a development benefits the sport as well.

OGM may be a worthy goal, but it's the journey and the setbacks and growth along the way that have the most value, and the greatest life lessons (ask Aliona); that's true even if you ultimately do not win OGM (ask MK).

I actually feel somewhat sorry for Baiul, Sotnikova, and Zagitova for winning the ultimate OGM before they were fully developed as skaters. IMO, they were not mature enough in their life experiences to be able to fully relish their victories. In a similar way, it may be a blessing in disguise that Nathan Chen did not win OGM, although it would have been nice to see him on the Olympic podium. By winning a team Olympic medal, Nathan at least has a taste of the Olympic experience, and a renewed desire going forward.

Last edited:

Meoima

I am not sure about that... given how much she doted on other star girls before Med.

her grace

Team Guignard/Fabbri
https://www.sports.ru/figure-skating/1062967936.html

I can't with Averbukh...can someone please stick a sock in his mouth or something?

“I don’t like Orser making politically motivated comments about how Poor Zhenya did not have any voice, that she was so unhappy because she had to do what the coach says.

I have been Medvedeva’s choreographer for the last 4 years, so let’s see what he can come up with. Zhenya was always present in her performances, her views always were always reflected in the program.

I can't fault Averbukh for standing up for his choreographic process. We know that Med got Lip's hand-me-down program as an early senior, but after that, the programs were designed for her. If he thinks that Orser is misrepresenting the situation, he has every right to say it.

muffinplus

I can't fault Averbukh for standing up for his choreographic process. We know that Med got Lip's hand-me-down program as an early senior, but after that, the programs were designed for her. If he thinks that Orser is misrepresenting the situation, he has every right to say it.

Orser never said anything about his face-cringe-excuse me - choreography...

"The main thing is she needs to have a voice in her own skating," Orser said. "We have been discussing music, what direction we want to go -- she has never had that luxury before. She told me it was, 'This is what you're skating to. This is the order of your spins, these are your spin positions.'''

mag

Except that he is not (or doesn’t appear to be in this translation.) He accuses Orser of being political and then challenges him in a very immature way (let’s see what he can do) which sounds like something a kid on a playground would say.

I do not understand why adults cannot just behave in a mature and dignified manner. His only response should be that he enjoyed working with Med and that he wishes her well in the future. Same with Eteri. Med is gone, she has made her decision, she has not said nasty things about her past team. Orser did repeat what Med said about her programs, but it not as though that was news, we have all heard it about Eteri’s group before, and I suspect he said it only to counter all the BS coming from Eteri. Furthermore, if Eteri and Averbukh truly believe they way they do choreography is the best way, they certainly shouldn’t be upset if people are told the process.

I can’t believe I am about to say this, but they could all take an lesson from Trankov on this one.

MR-FAN

Kostner Softie
It was kind of idiotic to infer that Orser was making assumptions when he clearly was reporting on what Evgenia told him

I dunno. Sounds like someone is paranoid that once Medvedeva starts skating decent programs, his $hit choreography will be exposed for what it is :shuffle:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information