Status
Not open for further replies.

Karen-W

Checking Senior Bs for TES mins...
What I'm pointing out is that who knows if the petition would've been successful in this hypothetical with Tennell-- which is what we are talking about after all :lol: So we have to consider that Liu was not group 2 YET. While one would think USFS would be giddy to send here, you can't know-- look at Malinin vs. Brown and how sure most people were of Malinin getting Olympics. I know he didn't have the track record, but still.

So, again, in this hypothetical, I understand it as Liu not group 2 because we don't know if she would've been able to successfully petition herself onto the team. If it were Tennell, Bell, and Chen (those two finishing as close as they did), then who stays home? Remember Chen got the team event assignment and she was a big part of why they had 3 spots anyways.
Oh, come on @tony. She had the highest score of the fall, and her lowest score during the fall season was still higher than Karen's highest of the fall. Even if you figure the USFS' shine on her had dimmed a bit because Mariah did so well at Rostelecom, I don't think you can make any sort of argument that either Alysa or Mariah's spots on the Olympic team were in danger once the IC went behind closed doors to meet after the Women's FS at Nationals.

There's no doubt it would have come down to a choice between Chen and Tennell, and seeing that Bradie was a big part of how they held onto bronze in 2018 and was a fairly steady competitor (when healthy), if she'd beat Karen at Nats, she'd have been put on the team. Likewise, had Karen prevailed over Bradie, she would have been put on the team because, in large part, of her 4th place finishes at both 2021 and 2017 Worlds, which helped ensure the USA 3 spots in 2018 & 2022.

I just don't see how, based on the facts as they were 10 months ago, that there's any question of Alysa being left at home. Wasn't happening.

Trillian

USFS would find a way to get what they wanted in any event.

Yes, and unless they knew Alysa was planning to retire, I think they wanted her on that team. She had her issues, but compared to the other U.S. women, she was looking pretty competitive internationally all season and had generated positive buzz, plus they’d already spent a couple of years prior investing in the hype.

In a hypothetical scenario with Bradie in the mix, I think they would have put Alysa on the team and gone with nationals placement for the other two spots. If Bradie had been in the top two and it had come down to Karen in 3rd vs. Alysa’s petition, I’d guess Alysa would get the spot. I see no parallel to Ilia besides age - their seasons up to that point, their overall career trajectories, and the fields they were competing in were all completely different.

Debbie S

Not necessarily. Kate didn't have a bye to Nats, she would have had to compete at Sectionals regardless. Maybe she and her coach decided competing in back to back weeks was too much. We'll see if she's on the start order.
Following up on my post from yesterday...Kate Wang is not listed in the start order for Pacs Senior Women, so it looks like her season is indeed over. :(

Karen-W

Following up on my post from yesterday...Kate Wang is not listed in the start order for Pacs Senior Women, so it looks like her season is indeed over. :(
Neither is Alena Budko - that must be a really recent injury because the Oregon Skating Council had an IG post just yesterday in support of all of the Oregon skaters competing at Sectionals, the days they'd be competing, and she was listed. :(

AngieNikodinovLove

Frangi & Piazza & Paul & Hektor & Theo. Oh My! 😝

AngieNikodinovLove

Frangi & Piazza & Paul & Hektor & Theo. Oh My! 😝
I had the chance to chat with Bradie.

Really great article. Thank you. Two big takeaways..... how real the struggle has been for her and her and I traveled to Europe on the same exact day 😍

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
On the flip side there's great gelato (Fenocchio was well worth the line). :) Doubt you'd find rose/lavender flavor easily in North America!
Instacart says I can order lavender and have it delivered in an hour and a half. Rose does look harder to find, though! We do have a lot of gelato here, and I love it, but I'm sure Europe has the absolute best. :swoon:

pachelbel

Well she won't complain - much like KoKo have an Olympic team medal, and didn't even make the free skate in the ID event.

I didn't mean that it in a negative way! It's odd that Karen Chen has had so few moments of brilliance in terms of gaining any sort of international medals, and yet... she's on the verge of being awarded an Olympic gold medal.

(I know that by no means is it concrete, but if I choose to live in my fair world, there is no question about what Olympic medal Karen [and the rest of the US team] should receive).

It's seriously impressive when you see Karen's track record that international judges were absolutely still willing to reward her spins, steps, choreography sequences, and her PCS... despite the fact that she was one of the most un-predictable and inconsistent skaters we've ever seen. Points add up even when you UR a jump. A skater's skater.

Karen Chen is seriously underrated. Love that it's seeming she will walk away with an Olympic gold. Her choreographic sequence, layback spin, general skating skills, and speed were emblematic of everything I missed in skating. Love her for keeping that in tact when there was no incentive to do so.

Last edited:

On My Own

It's seriously impressive when you see Karen's track record that international judges were absolutely still willing to reward her spins, steps, choreography sequences, and her PCS. Points add up even when you UR a jump. A skater's skater.

Karen Chen is seriously underrated. Love that it's seeming she will walk away with an Olympic gold. Her choreographic sequence was emblematic of everything I missed in skating. Love her for keeping that in tact when there was no incentive to do so.
💕

haribobo

Why is summer so hot omg
Qualifiers for 2023 Nationals in Junior

Soho Lee 172
Shery Zhang 170
Elyce Lin-Gracey 162
Adele Zheng 162
Logan Higase Chen 158
Mia Barghout 158
Katie Krafchik 156
Lilah Gibson 156
Phoebe Stubblefield 153
Sarah Everhardt 153
Hannah Herrera 149
Krystal Edwards 147
-----------
Novice qualifiers to Nationals in Junior (top 2 each section)
Jessica Jurka 152
Annika Chao 151
Keira Hibelink 149
Ela Cui 140
Melania Blecic 128
Olivia Flores 125

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
I posted this Alexa Gasparotto article by Lois Elfman in the previous thread:
Gasparotto, 19, grew up in Michigan and began skating at age four at one of the state’s well known training facilities. In 2020, she met prominent coach/choreographer Rohene Ward at a Diversify Ice exhibition. The mission of the Diversify Ice Foundation is to increase access and diversity in the sport. Gasparotto and Ward are both ambassadors.
“I ran into him the following year at a competition and he wanted to work with me, and I was super honored and surprised,” Gasparotto said. “I was already a big fan of his. Fast forward to now, I’ve been working with him for about a year.”
My Twitter thread (4 tweets) on one of the best 'feel good' stories of Sectionals, IMO :): https://twitter.com/SylviaUnseen/status/1590847614488285184

ETA the link to Alexa's post after she qualified for her first Nationals: https://www.instagram.com/p/Ck0xHqfLMg3/
WE did it!!🥰❤️
Proud of myself is an understatement, WHAT A CLIMB! A perfect example of something [primary coach Rohene Ward] and @ambergil_figureskating [Amber Gil] remind me daily “How bad do you want it, and how hard are you willing to work for it?” Not just putting in the work on the ice but off the ice as well, not just the physical training but also mental training which goes such a long way! With so many changes this past year i’m SO excited for what’s to come and thankful for what has already happened❤️ Thanks for everyone’s continuous positivity and support thus far, couldn’t be happier☺️
See you soon San Jose😉

Last edited:

Willin

I saw her pop up on my instagram, and she definitely struck me as a skater that, with more resources, could be very very competitive among the US ladies and perhaps internationally. I hope Diversify Ice's support will help keep her on an upwards trajectory.

Sylvia

TBD
Ting's Instagram post & photos :) (Jill Heiner did not qualify this year, sadly - however, her photo with Ting & words in the comments section are lovely to see): https://www.instagram.com/p/Ck62LJwrvRj/
so grateful to still be skating in college and I can’t even describe how it feels to have qualified for nationals for the first time in a long time after a long journey💙

couldn’t have done it without the my coach @roland.burghart and support system 🙌🏼

haribobo

Why is summer so hot omg
SENIOR WOMEN 2023 Nationals Qualifiers

Isabeau Levito 215 intl
Amber Glenn 197 intl
Starr Andrews 191 intl
Ava Marie Ziegler 186 intl/ 169 sec
Audrey Shin 183 intl
Elsa Cheng 181 sec
Josephine Lee 179 sec/169 intl
Lindsay Thorngren 176 intl
Hanna Harrell 175 intl/ 163 sec
Gabriella Izzo 174 intl
Gracie Gold 174 intl
Sonja Hilmer 174 intl/ 157 sec
Clare Seo 170 intl
Lindsay Wang 163 sec
Alexa Gasparotto 163 sec
Ting Cui 157 sec
Bradie Tennell 153 intl
Michelle Lee 153 sec (or Karen Chen if she elects to compete)

Karen-W

SENIOR WOMEN 2023 Nationals Qualifiers

Isabeau Levito 215 intl
Amber Glenn 197 intl
Starr Andrews 191 intl
Ava Marie Ziegler 186 intl/ 169 sec
Audrey Shin 183 intl
Elsa Cheng 181 sec
Josephine Lee 179 sec/169 intl
Lindsay Thorngren 176 intl
Hanna Harrell 175 intl/ 163 sec
Gabriella Izzo 174 intl
Gracie Gold 174 intl
Sonja Hilmer 174 intl/ 157 sec
Clare Seo 170 intl
Lindsay Wang 163 sec
Alexa Gasparotto 163 sec
Ting Cui 157 sec
Bradie Tennell 153 intl
Michelle Lee 153 sec (or Karen Chen if she elects to compete)
USFS definitely needs to assign Elsa Cheng to Golden Spin, and I'd probably give Izzo another Challenger based on the improvement she made between Budapest Trophy and MKJW. Harrell, L-Wang, Gasparotto all could be considered as well, though L-Wang and Gasparotto would need to be added to the ISP first.

One note - the USFS added Santa Claus Cup (Thanksgiving weekend in Budapest - Women, Men & Dance) to the Int'l Assignments page, so there could be potentially some skaters sent there to attempt to get TES mins.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information