Status
Not open for further replies.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
Saying Starr wants to be a spokesperson and not aim high is insulting. Skating has mostly cookie cutter skaters with repetitive programs. Once you have someone that brings a different genre to the sport folks want to immediately ostracize. Instead of appreciating the ability to diversify the sport spectators like to throw you under the bus! The lack of evolution is what has killed popularity in this sport in America. Most Olympic champions are never the ones you expect. It’s always the underdog, except for a few! Those ladies that have quads are usually short lived careers and not the ones standing on top of the podium. If they are Russian, they are more than likely doped which is why we are in this banned mess now!

That is my point. I’m tired of some thinking of Starr as just a goo-goo gah-gah #BLM token. Yeah - yeah - We’re tipping our hats off to diversity. Just be happy with their charm & Beyonce vocals? Starr has progressed far beyond that, with that strong silver at Skate Canada 2022.

I feel the same about my own fellow Puerto Rican Jacob Sanchez. Why is he “an ambassador”? Once he skates clean programs internationally and wins a medal or two, I’ll be as high on Jacob as I am now at Starr.

I’ll forever remember how I was called by recruiters because I am Puerto Rican but didn’t get the jobs…but the recruiters got to tick-off the “diversity” box. Thank goodness that I’ve retired and never have to hear from those clowns again.

Sylvia

TBD
Why is he “an ambassador”? Once he skates clean programs internationally and wins a medal or two, I’ll be as high on Jacob as I am now at Starr.
OT: Why can't Jacob be and do both?

BTW, Jacob already is the 2023 Coupe du Printemps Junior Men's gold medalist - he landed his first 3A cleanly in that Junior B international this past March.

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Here's Cleo Park's post after she won bronze at her first junior international at Kings Cup this past weekend: https://www.instagram.com/p/CyJSLlsRaYk/
She included photos (with Mia, rinkmate Annika & Ella Kim who was 5th in her international debut) of as well as clips from her SP (opening 3F+3T) and 2 from her FS (2nd 2nd half combo of 3Lz+2A+2A = 15.13 points!) and her 3rd & 4th jump passes in the first half (3Lo and 3Lz). She was credited with landing 6 of her 7 triples cleanly.

Mia Kalin won the gold (tweeted clip of her landing a clean 4T in her FS that received +2.22 GOE for 11.72 points) and Annika Chao silver.

1 Mia KALIN USA 180.08 1 1 (121.41 FS)
2 Annika CHAO USA 178.16 2 2 (120.08 FS)
3 Cleo PARK USA 170.24 4 3 (117.04 FS)

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
That is my point. I’m tired of some thinking of Starr as just a goo-goo gah-gah #BLM token. Yeah - yeah - We’re tipping our hats off to diversity. Just be happy with their charm & Beyonce vocals? Starr has progressed far beyond that, with that strong silver at Skate Canada 2022.

I feel the same about my own fellow Puerto Rican Jacob Sanchez. Why is he “an ambassador”? Once he skates clean programs internationally and wins a medal or two, I’ll be as high on Jacob as I am now at Starr.
Starr doesn’t have a triple Lutz and rarely has a triple flip. If she’s skating for the fun of it or to push herself to be her own best or encourage little girls to get interested in the sport, who cares what you want? Maybe she loves being a representative of her community.

There has to be a little bit of reality in the equation when the full set of triples (minus the Axel) isn’t there.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
OT: Why can't Jacob be and do both?

BTW, Jacob already is the 2023 Coupe du Printemps Junior Men's gold medalist - he landed his first 3A cleanly in that Junior B international this past March.
Nobody should be “an Ambassador” of anything just because of their ethnic background. Period.

skatfan

Saying Starr wants to be a spokesperson and not aim high is insulting.

Nobody said that.

Skating has mostly cookie cutter skaters with repetitive programs. Once you have someone that brings a different genre to the sport folks want to immediately ostracize. Instead of appreciating the ability to diversify the sport spectators like to throw you under the bus!
I think her program is refreshing and have always been glad that Starr has taken her own path in music choices. I gave her standing O at 2018 nationals - it was a moment!
The lack of evolution is what has killed popularity in this sport in America. Most Olympic champions are never the ones you expect. It’s always the underdog, except for a few!
Huh, ok, but they have to have the tech content to compete. As much as I like Starr, she doesn’t have the skating skills or polish to make a world team. If she can improve on that and get a real lutz and flip, sure. We just haven’t seen it.
Those ladies that have quads are usually short lived careers and not the ones standing on top of the podium. If they are Russian, they are more than likely doped which is why we are in this banned mess now!
No disagreement, but it still doesn’t make her competitive with currently competing Korean or Japanese women. The US has only one woman skater that does and it’s not Starr.

Last edited:

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
Nobody should be “an Ambassador” of anything just because of their ethnic background. Period.
I have nothing more to contribute to this except, as usual with you, 🙄 and:

For someone who is seemingly so unaware of the world outside of the ballet and attempting to dress like Oksana Baiul, it’s really a treat to see you repeatedly make comments about what everyone should and shouldn’t do. Being a role model for younger people or for people with similar traits isn’t going to hurt anyone. Period.

Rukia

A Southern, hot-blooded temperamental individual
I'm kind of astounded that the US women's thread has become a consistent source of wank. Like I love them, but they are not what I would consider the most likely source of skating drama currently.

Anyway grand prix starts soon. Which US lady do you think will surprise us the most on the gp? Manifest a medal for your fave now.

On My Own

I'm kind of astounded that the US women's thread has become a consistent source of wank. Like I love them, but they are not what I would consider the most likely source of skating drama currently.
Really? I don't usually 💤 through drama. The last two pages of this thread reminded me of 8th grade history.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information