U.S. Pairs 2020-21 season - News & Updates, Part XI

Status
Not open for further replies.

million$momma

Ahh Maybee 8 as there are only 8 American pairs teams. Maybee Cananada and US might do something.
Canada is pretty locked up still. Restrictions in Ontario have just increased again and that is where most (all?) the Sr. pairs are located. Maybe the skaters will think it is worth the risk and try to get into the US? Is a skating competition considered essential travel? I'm not sure it's worth the 14 day quarantine and loss of training time when they return to Canada. As a coach travelling with the teams you would lose a lot of time with other skaters too.

skylark

When I have more info about Tarah & Danny's training plans, I will be updating their website per their request. I don't have anything to update as of right now but they're both in good spirits. :)
Good to hear! Thanks for that information. And since your tag mentions supporting Team SW Florida, I've wondered what Jim P and Amanda E are doing lately. Heard they moved to Detroit; it that right?

If it's possible, I'd like to see Tarah and Danny go back to them. I always thought Jim understood how to make programs that showed them to best advantage and highlighted their strengths.

happycamper2554

Thoughts on where they would go and i thought of 3 options 2 "Safe Options" and One 1 out of the box

1. Go back to Peterson and Evora
2. Danny is from the Chicago area; He and Tarah spent Quarantine there; go to Brubaker and Berton; They don't havre a top Senior team at the moment

3. Out of the box; go to Oakville (Marcotte and Duhamel). They don't have an American team; they could use another team to to compete with MT/M; i've been impressed with their work so far. Plus Jason and H/B were able to cross the boarder so we know it's possible.

skylark

^^ My vote is for Rockne and Stefania (despite what I said earlier about Jim & Amanda). That would be cool.

insideedgeua

I don’t think it’s possible for Danny to go to Canada.
Maybe they need to think even further outside the box if they really want to push themselves right now.

skylark

I don’t think it’s possible for Danny to go to Canada.
Maybe they need to think even further outside the box if they really want to push themselves right now.
Why just Danny? Oakville have something against bald, former gingers with contrasting dark beards?

(kidding: I am clearly getting 2 a.m. giddy about now)

And what would be further outside the box? I'm just interested.

insideedgeua

Why just Danny? Oakville have something against bald, former gingers with contrasting dark beards?

(kidding: I am clearly getting 2 a.m. giddy about now)

And what would be further outside the box? I'm just interested.

I think it’s a visa issue for Danny.

Further, meaning maybe Russia or Germany.

I wish them all the best, but if they really want that Olympic berth, then they need to make a strategic decision.

Spiralgraph

I think it’s a visa issue for Danny.

Further, meaning maybe Russia or Germany.

I wish them all the best, but if they really want that Olympic berth, then they need to make a strategic decision.

Agreed, but if they really really want that Olympic berth, they have to work on getting two solid triples for their LP. Yea, their double axels are mostly consistent, but they can't rely on other teams making mistakes. Someday all our USA pairs are going to skate well at Nationals.

Sylvia

TBD
...I've wondered what Jim P and Amanda E are doing lately. Heard they moved to Detroit; it that right?
Yes, Peterson and Evora are coaching now at the Arctic Edge Ice Arena in Canton, MI.

ETA Senior results from the first ISP Points Challenge plus the link to watch the videos:
Jessica Calalang/Brian Johnson 72.70 (1) 134.57 (1) 207.27
Alexa Knierim/Brandon Frazier 69.59 (2) 129.72 (2) 199.31
Ashley Cain-Gribble/Timothy LeDuc 68.12 (3) 121.86 (3) 189.98
Tarah Kayne/Danny O'Shea 66.94 (4) 115.67 (4) 182.61
Audrey Lu/Misha Mitrofanov 59.33 (6) 105.65 (5) 164.98
Olivia Serafini/Mervin Tran 63.61 (5) 95.27 (7) 158.88
Emily Chan/Spencer Howe 55.22 (7) 98.79 (6) 154.01
Source: https://usfigureskatingfanzone.com/sports/2020/9/8/isp-points-challenge-competition-central.aspx
2020 Junior champs Kate Finster/Balazs Nagy's SP was included originally (not scored publicly) but was removed from the Fan Zone later. IIRC, they skated quite well, landing sbs 3S and throw 3S. Song is "Lost Without You" by Freya Ridings, and the program was choreographed virtually by Benoit Richaud.
Pairs [SP & FS skate] order: Chan/Howe, Knierim/Frazier, Serafini/Tran, Lu/Mitrofanov, Calalang/Johnson, Cain-Gribble/LeDuc, Kayne/O'Shea.

Last edited:

insideedgeua

I don’t know why Finster/Nagy were removed. It was a nice skate. Small errors but a triple twist, side by side triple sal and throw 3 Sal. Needs some polishing, but a decent skate. Her mom posted it on social media.

skylark

Yes, Peterson and Evora are coaching now at the Arctic Edge Ice Arena in Canton, MI.

ETA Senior results from the first ISP Points Challenge plus the link to watch the videos:

2020 Junior champs Kate Finster/Balazs Nagy's SP was included originally (not scored publicly) but was removed from the Fan Zone later. IIRC, they skated quite well, landing sbs 3S and throw 3S. Song is "Lost Without You" by Freya Ridings, and the program was choreographed virtually by Benoit Richaud.
Oh, so Peterson and Evora are now at the club that Igor and Marina made famous! (or more precisely, Meryl/Charlie and Tessa/Scott) thank you! Next time I'm in that area, I should take in an open session, I'd like to watch them work. If they even have semi-open sessions now, which is doubtful come to think.

I fortunately got to see Kate/Balazs' SP before they removed it, which is a shame. They also removed Gracie's programs from the ladies thread apparently.

AngieNikodinovLove

Frangi & Piazza & Paul & Hektor & Theo. Oh My! 😝

Alexa and Brandon are at 199.31 their first time competing as a team!! Wow.. Amazing!

They could be spectacular by next season.

Kudos to Jessica and Joe!!!!!

Last edited:

clairecloutier

A little update on a former U.S. pairs skater. Some of you will remember Caitlin Fields, who was the 2015 junior national pairs champion with Ernie Utah Stevens. Per her Facebook, she is now pursuing a doctoral degree in clinical psychology at Midwestern University. Good to see her moving on and finding new interests!

Sylvia

TBD
Good for Caitlin! :respec:

Jacob Simon (who competed as a junior internationally and once as a senior nationally) recently graduated from the University of Colorado at CO Springs summa cum laude with a B.A. in Communication & here's his life update:
... I’ve also closed an almost life-long chapter in figure skating. I will always have some of my friends, memories from around the world, and accomplishments to remember the rollercoaster journey it was. I am truly thankful for the amazing experiences I was lucky enough to have. I’m also thankful for everyone who has supported me and stuck by my side no matter what, especially now. It has been very bittersweet to move back to Chicago from Colorado Springs after all these years, but I am excited to be working a digital marketing internship at a tech startup here in Chicago...

Sylvia

TBD
3 photos from Cain/LeDuc's SP (“Never Tear Us Apart” by Bishop Briggs, choreographed by Pasquale Camerlengo): https://www.instagram.com/p/CFxf_8qjBiS/

2 pairs additions to USFS' International Selection Pool:
Katie McBeath & Nathan Bartholomay (eta) - just in time to compete in the 2nd ISP Points Challenge :)
Catherine Rivers & Timmy Chapman (new junior team - he turned 20 this month & was 6th in Junior at 2020 Nationals with Sydney Cooke; she placed 12th in Junior Ladies at the Midwestern Sectional Singles Final last November)

Last edited:

jkl

Can anyone confirm if Ganicheva and Letov (and their skaters) are in Boston now?

Sylvia

TBD
The new senior team featured in Amanda Evora's video clip is Valentina Plazas (new to pairs) and Maximiliano Fernandez, 25 (he last competed with Joy Weinberg - they were the 2016 U.S. Junior champs & placed 9th in Senior at 2017 Nationals: http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00035038.htm ), who relocated from Florida to Canton, Michigan with Peterson/Evora.

ETA:

Emily Chan/Spencer Howe, who competed in the first virtual ISP Points Challenge and are in contention for the TBA spot at Skate America, competed at the Boston Open club competition last weekend:
SP protocol (53.68): http://ijs.usfigureskating.org/leaderboard/nonqual_results/2020/29669/SEGM021.html
FS protocol (102.14): http://ijs.usfigureskating.org/leaderboard/nonqual_results/2020/29669/SEGM029.html
He landed the opening sbs 3S while she doubled and both landed 3T+2T. I enjoy watching their matching lines and expressiveness to the music ("The Prayer" duet performed by Bocelli & Dion).

Last edited:

olympic

Was there a 2nd opportunity at ISP Challenge for Senior Pairs? I saw a link that contained Junior competitors only ....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information