U.S. Pairs 2018-19 season - News & Updates, Part IX

insideedgeua

I’m not their coach or on their team, who are hopefully helping them through this. I wish them well at 4CCS where I’ll see them skate live.

Not to be a pessimist but i'm worried about their mental state going into this. That last lift was so devastating. I hope they are able to come back from it. I also am worried about them possibly splitting if it doesn't go well. But I live my life as a worry wart.[/QUOTE]

Not even slightly concerned. That lift was a split second of poor timing. To happen when it did was devastating but they’re back in training and ready to show it off properly next week.

aftershocks

Banned Member
I don't recall Brandon ever leaving skating during his younger years to pursue football? @clairecloutier's in-depth interview back in September 2016 with Haven and Brandon doesn't mention football at all: https://adivinesport.com/2016/09/21/interview-with-denneyfrazier/

Are you perhaps thinking of a pair skater named Miles Addison who did that before re-teaming with his original partner, Kay Bergdolt, and competing together again in Junior Pairs at 2015 & 2016 Nationals? I remember posting an article about Miles switching from pair skating to football on FSU many years ago.

Nope, I heard this story from Brandon's own lips in a video I saw recently. Except I have the chronology off, oops! ;) I also do very much remember @clairecloutier's wonderful interview in which H&B spoke about their split. So reviewing the video again, it looks like Brandon stepped away for a short time when he was 13-years-old to try football, but then he got back together with Haven. Then I suppose it was sometime after that when one of their families moved away and they hooked up with different partners. They each skated at 2011 U.S. championships in juniors with different partners.* But they got back together shortly afterward, and went on to win 2013 junior Worlds.

* Brandon with Mandy Garza, and Haven with Daniel Raad:
https://www.usfigureskating.org/leaderboard/results/2011/68096/CAT008SEG016.html

That's also the year Ashley Cain won juniors with Joshua Reagan, and Timothy LeDuc placed third with Cassie Andrews. :) That was a fun junior Worlds to watch. At least eight individual skaters from that event are still skating pairs, all eight with different partners, and four (Haven, Brandon, Ashley, Timothy) graced this year's pairs podium. I wonder if that 2011 junior event is still available for viewing on U.S. figure skating fan zone?

Here's the H&B video I referenced and I also shared it earlier in this thread, I believe:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIsmOEsGMbg It's the first I'd heard about Brandon stopping skating for awhile to pursue football. H&B are a pair that I've always enjoyed watching and rooting for. I have felt for them with all they've been through, and I've never wavered in my support. They seem to be taking the rough times in stride and feeling upbeat about the fact that going through so much has made their partnership stronger! :cheer2:

Last edited:

skatfan

Not to be a pessimist but i'm worried about their mental state going into this. That last lift was so devastating. I hope they are able to come back from it. I also am worried about them possibly splitting if it doesn't go well. But I live my life as a worry wart.

Not even slightly concerned. That lift was a split second of poor timing. To happen when it did was devastating but they’re back in training and ready to show it off properly next week.[/QUOTE]

Yes, it seemed like a fluke issue on that lift. I expect them to come to 4CCs to shake all that off.

Spiralgraph

Considering all our USA pairs, if our teams broke up after a big mistake we wouldn't have any pairs left. I think our teams are a bit more resilient than that. Although maybe a couple of teams will quit competing but we always lose at least one team every year.
I'm confident that our pairs have put their poor performances behind them and are training hard or are taking time to heal.

wickedwitch

Considering all our USA pairs, if our teams broke up after a big mistake we wouldn't have any pairs left. I think our teams are a bit more resilient than that. Although maybe a couple of teams will quit competing but we always lose at least one team every year.
I'm confident that our pairs have put their poor performances behind them and are training hard or are taking time to heal.
Honestly, resiliency is one of the best qualities of all of the top pairs in the US.

clairecloutier

Here's the H&B video I referenced and I also shared it earlier in this thread, I believe:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIsmOEsGMbg It's the first I'd heard about Brandon stopping skating for awhile to pursue football. H&B are a pair that I've always enjoyed watching and rooting for. I have felt for them with all they've been through, and I've never wavered in my support. They seem to be taking the rough times in stride and feeling upbeat about the fact that going through so much has made their partnership stronger! :cheer2:

Thanks for this video link @aftershocks. Brandon did not mention his brief football career either time that I've interviewed them. ;) I'm glad he came back to skating!

aftershocks

Banned Member
Thanks for this video link @aftershocks. Brandon did not mention his brief football career either time that I've interviewed them. ;) I'm glad he came back to skating!

Yes, me too. I like how Brandon said he feels it was good for him to find out by stepping away, how much he truly loves figure skating. :) I guess there's always something new to learn about the lives of athletes. I've found that there's always more to learn about people, even intimate friends and relatives.

The picture of Brandon in his football uniform is so cute. Haven & Brandon were so adorable as young roller skaters and figure skaters. It's cool seeing them progress in their careers and overcome so much adversity.

happycamper2554

Yes, me too. I like how Brandon said he feels it was good for him to find out by stepping away, how much he truly loves figure skating. :) I guess there's always something new to learn about the lives of athletes. I've found that there's always more to learn about people, even intimate friends and relatives.

The picture of Brandon in his football uniform is so cute. Haven & Brandon were so adorable as young roller skaters and figure skaters. It's cool seeing them progress in their careers and overcome so much adversity.

Their facebook page has cute videos of them doing intermediate together. if you want even more cuteness

https://www.facebook.com/Haven-Denney-Brandon-Frazier-526823654090970/videos/

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
I hate to tell you, but that info was everywhere. What did you expect her to do? Not comment. Not report.

Exactly. They are reported as facts, not gossip. I understand FSU and USFS wish to muzzle discussion of sad news on this US Pairs thread. However, the thread in which all of us were discussing the Coughlin/Safesport News was locked. I don’t know where we can provide new facts as they emerge. Not “trash can,” which would be sacrilege.

skatingguy

decently
I was so appalled by Christine Brennan's latest article from USA Today. It happened to come up in my Twitter feed.

That woman has sunk to a new low in serving her self-promotional agenda.
I'm not sure if this is the article you're referencing - I'm not seeing anything unusual about this piece. It's just an update on Coughlin's death now that the initial police report has been released.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...ter-john-coughlin-died-by-hanging/2727268002/

Barbara Manatee

Every medical organization that studies suicide prevention strongly recommends that the media avoid describing the method and location of death because those details can spur vulnerable people into following suit. It is wildly irresponsible to not just describe how John Coughlin took his life but to shout it out via headline and tweet.

semogal

I feared he had shot himself because of a comment I read and the fact his Dad was a former police officer.

Foolhardy Ham Lint

I'm not sure if this is the article you're referencing - I'm not seeing anything unusual about this piece. It's just an update on Coughlin's death now that the initial police report has been released.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...ter-john-coughlin-died-by-hanging/2727268002/

It's the attention grabbing headline.

What purpose does writing something like that serve, other than to sensationalise an extremely personal and sad decision. Can't she leave John with at least a little dignity in death?

I have no place for her brand of 'journalism', and the fact that she feeds off skating for her own fame.

Last edited:

Foolhardy Ham Lint

I hate to tell you, but that info was everywhere. What did you expect her to do? Not comment. Not report.

Maybe so.

But Brennan's self - serving agenda, feeding off the sport for her own glory, has got a bit old.

What I hate is how Brennan always has that Cheshire Cat expression on her face whenever news of this nature falls into her lap.

I would like to believe that John deserved some dignity in death. Yes. We know he died. Do we really need to know how.

I think Brennan should be required take a good long look at some of the photos of John's family's photos at his funeral, and how-grief stricken they were before she reports her brand of trash.

Last edited:

Foolhardy Ham Lint

Every medical organization that studies suicide prevention strongly recommends that the media avoid describing the method and location of death because those details can spur vulnerable people into following suit. It is wildly irresponsible to not just describe how John Coughlin took his life but to shout it out via headline and tweet.

Thank you, Barbara.

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...

Do you have some data to back up your claim? I cannot find any substantiation- but I just may not know how to search for this.

41 Famous People Who Ended Their Own Lives

If that is true, I sure know a lot that I should not know about how Robin Williams (hanging), Kate Spade, (Hanging Marilyn Monroe, (overdose or not) Kurt Cobain (gun), Mindy McCready (gun), Jonathan Brandes (Gun) Sawyer Brandis (Gun)

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
Maybe so.

But Brennan's self - serving agenda, feeding off the sport for her own glory, has got a bit old.

I would like to believe that John deserved some dignity in death. Yes. We know he died. Do we really need to know how.

I think Brennan should be required take a good long look at some of the photos of John's family's photos at his funeral, and how-grief stricken they were before she reports her brand of trash.

As much as I would like to throttle or smother Brennen, and will always hold her responsible for John's death by her leaking of his status............she is a journalist. Her job is to report. I can find pages of John's method of suicide with a simple google search.

The entire thing sucks IMO

insideedgeua

Foolhardy Ham Lint

As much as I would like to throttle or smother Brennen, and will always hold her responsible for John's death by her leaking of his status............she is a journalist. Her job is to report. I can find pages of John's method of suicide with a simple google search.

The entire thing sucks IMO

I am sure it has been reported elsewhere.

The problem I have with the negative likes of Brennan and Hersh is that they have been assigned skating news by their respective companies for long enough, that they become the voice and face of our sport.

skatfan

It's the attention grabbing headline.

What purpose does writing something like that serve, other than to sensationalise an extremely personal and sad decision. Can't she leave John with at least a little dignity in death?

I have no place for her brand of 'journalism', and the fact that she feeds off skating for her own fame.

Reporters do not write headlines. That’s someone else’s job.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information