U.S. Pairs 2018-19 season - News & Updates, Part IX

Spiralgraph

I'm happy so far with Tarah and Danny in the lead followed very closely by Ashley and Tim. Just what I wished for (but not predicted) for my top two. But it ain't over till it's over. Please please let the last flight plus Deanna and Nate skate their best on Saturday.That's the best way to win for any team.

Willin

@Tesla Yeah. I was wondering that too. They did do the twist and throws, but maybe his shoulder is injured or very sore after the missed twist yesterday. Then again, on the second failed lift it was at least partially a matter of Alexa hitting her toepick on the way up.

Tesla

Whippet Good
@Tesla Yeah. I was wondering that too. They did do the twist and throws, but maybe his shoulder is injured or very sore after the missed twist yesterday. Then again, on the second failed lift it was at least partially a matter of Alexa hitting her toepick on the way up.
I was wondering if she might be injured, too, or still recovering from her abdominal surgery.

ETA @Willin Terry said it’s a torn ligament in his left wrist.

Last edited:

nimi

So happy for Ashley&Tim skating so well but so sad for Tarah&Danny... A fluke mistake like that... :fragile:
O'Shea inconsolable about missing the final lift in the FS: "Sometimes you mess up when it counts most. It’s hard. There’s no reason. Why do you overthrow the ball in football? Why do you mess up the pass that goes right through your hands?
https://twitter.com/LynnRutherford/status/1089280041832321031

aftershocks

Banned Member
Wow, what drama and excitement! And what a shame that the sport doesn't know how to market such drama and excitement to a wider audience. I'm not talking huge ratings and big ball sports attendance numbers, but at least find a wider audience of people who might become interested and excited enough to follow figure skating. Pairs skating has long been my favorite discipline, and the U.S. teams did not disappoint at U.S. Nationals this year.

Congratulations to Ashley & Timothy! :cheer2: They definitely have overcome a lot, expecially over the last couple of months. I'm very happy for them, and excited for how well they were able to hold it together skating last. Doing their best in that moment and under such pressure is great experience for them.

At the same time, my heart goes out to Tarah Kayne. That missed lift was so unexpected and such a shock in the moment. But Tarah & Danny should hold their heads high and grow from this experience. I was watching them at the start of their performance and thinking: This is it. This is the moment that you have to go for it and grab it (just as U.S. ladies Bradie and Mariah had moments waiting to be grabbed). T&D looked just a slight bit hesitant and missed a bit on one of their jumping passes, but their program was building very good toward the end. Then the gorgeous, sublime and defining lift at the crowning moment didn't happen. I can imagine they are feeling overwhelmed with emotion right now. I hope Dalilah Sappenfield and others can rally around them to help them keep their spirits up and their hopes alive.

Now's the time for T&D to put a brave face on it and give their encouragement and support to Ashley & Timothy to go to Worlds and land in the top ten, so that two U.S. teams can have an opportunity next season to steadily build toward a solid and competitive U.S. pairs discipline! With all the talent on display among U.S. pairs, steady work and confidence can bring the U.S. three spots eventually. We have many dynamic and talented pairs teams developing and continuing to improve!

A lot is looking up for U.S. pairs! Kudos and keep up the good work to all the teams, including Josh and Jessica who weren't able to compete this year. Thank you U.S. Pairs!!! :cheer2: :encore: :rollin:

Last edited:

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
Still can't believe what I just witnessed.. I feel like I may need blood thinners after today....

ANL gots some things to say...

I AM ECSTATIC for C&L..my favorite team (Knierims used to be until last year, but they are still close!) They go for the innovation and the difficult elements.... this is why I love Gilles & Poirier and Fear & Gibson in Dance.... they show me stuff others aren't really doing... And when you have been watching skating for as many decades as I have.... child......

Tarah seemed unconsolable..... but I still FIRMLY believed even with that botched lift they would still be securely in first. I thought USFSA would pad them (they got the silver in GP France) and they are the Gold Medlaists from 4 CC... Then when I saw 3rd with C&L left to skate I was in shock.... Because The Knierims HAD 2 botched lifts and I still feel like they got a super super high score (and I Love them) and they botched ALL their jumps too. So I thought K&O were gonna get like 135.

D&F looked so sad that it looked like they were gonna have to settle for silver... It kinda pee'd ANL off...... because I would very much think that they would be HAPPY with anything in the TOP 5 from Nats...... She has had a major injury and havent produced anything really in years... so for them to be on a podium... a podium I thought was a MAJOR accomplishment.... I thought they would be doing back-flips on steroids for getting the silver here.. and they probably are going to 4CC. And I mean they did single axels for a combo... so I thought if they get the silver for this then... Honey, take the money and R-U-N!

I was not prepared for today... wow.. But I feel like USA Pairs is indeed in business...

This year on GP we got 3 medals from 3 teams... I fell like next season USA will probably get more...

Also, interesting that Knierims are injured... surprised that Alexa wanted to skate knowing that Chris was gonna have to lift and throw her... But maybe they needed to take that chance (risk.)

Weird that the two co-favorites for the title weren't even on the podium.

I hope all USA teams are happy and healthy next season!!

Last edited:

SorrySkater

^^ But that's normal @SorrySkater, because figure skating is a difficult sport and things are always changing; skaters are always working on improving. It takes time. Serafini/Tran are so new, I really wouldn't get down on them, or use this outing as a measure of their abilities. Clearly, their jump timing and abilities together in that respect seem good. It's normal to only be able to compete a 2-twist until time, trust and skill allow Olivia to do a 3-twist. In Mervin, Olivia has a good partner with whom she can grow and learn from. She is new to pairs, don't forget, so it will take time for her to get elements like death spiral, throws, lifts and 3-twist together and working on all cylinders. And Mervin, judging by his recent comments, feels his partner is a saint. :saint: :) That bodes well for them, if they remain healthy and stick together and maintain competitive desire.

Practically all U.S. teams on this senior roster look good to me (quite a few look great and/or exceedingly promising). They were certainly all very enjoyable to watch (aside from Alexa/Chris' troubles and Olivia/Mervin's newbie snafus), unless you are a naysayer and a spoilsport, or just not into pairs skating. ;)

ETA: By 'you,' I don't mean I'm singling you out in particular. Sorry. I think in following skaters, it's the measure of a true fan though to be able to stick with them when they are down and out; to help encourage and support them and to root for them. It's easy to get on bandwagons when things are going well. But things don't always go well for athletes every time out. It's a journey, and figure skating is the most difficult athletic journey of all, from what I've seen.

My heart goes out to Ashley and to all who are coping with tragic loss:
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bs3vRiWFDHU/ Thanks to Ashley for sharing her memories 😢

And kudos to all the U.S. pairs teams who performed so well yesterday!
Thanks for the kind words, aftershocks! I wouldn’t say that I’m “down” on Serafini/Tran; I was just hoping for a bit more based on the clips I’ve seen. I love the unison and extension I see in their practice clips and am just, in general, a huge Mervin Tran fan. I do agree with you that there is a lot of promise in pairs right now. There were so many enjoyable programs.

The announcement of Chris Kneirim’s wrist injury explains a lot. I hope he has surgery sooner rather than later so he can begin the process of healing. Does anyone else think Alexa intentionally aborted the second list because of his wrist?

NAOTMAA

If Chris had an injured wrist why would they compete :confused:

All those pair elements where he needs all his strength. Lifts and throws are really dangerous especially if something is off even just a little! It seems foolish to risk anything and they're lucky nothing bad did

Carolla5501

If Chris had an injured wrist why would they compete :confused:

All those pair elements where he needs all his strength. Lifts and throws are really dangerous especially if something is off even just a little! It seems foolish to risk anything and they're lucky nothing bad did
Apparently he’s been competing with it all season

Sorry but I’m not impressed with “oh wait we skated badly but look we are injured”. If it was that bad don’t skate.

shortiek

Maybe they felt like they had to prove themselves at nationals since they had so many changes during the season?

He looked really gaunt in some of the post performance interviews.

aftershocks

Banned Member
The announcement of Chris Kneirim’s wrist injury explains a lot. I hope he has surgery sooner rather than later so he can begin the process of healing. Does anyone else think Alexa intentionally aborted the second list because of his wrist?

I watched the Knierims on the NBCGold, and the commentators (Charlie White & Mike Weiss) were not aware of Chris' injury. I didn't see the Knierims skate on NBC live, so I don't know if TT&J commentators knew anything about Chris' injury. Perhaps it was revealed to everyone post-competition. For the Knierims to mess up two lifts in that manner, and be easygoing about it with each other, looking back it does seem as if they were sensitive with each other about the problem they were facing and ths they simply took it all in stride. On the second lift, I think Chris' wrist collapsed and Alexa knew it wasn't happening. Maybe they discussed what might happen before the performance in order to signal each other not to push forward on the lifts if things didn't feel right.

Thanks for understanding what I was referencing re Serafini/Tran. I'm definitely with you on loving what a smooth and stylish skater Mervin is, and he seems to have a fun, positive personality and a quirky outlook on life too. :D Despite Olivia and Mervin coming in last, this was a learning experience for them. They are a new team and Olivia is new to pairs skating. I commend them for their effort and thumbs up for them to continue working, growing, believing in themselves and having fun on their journey. :) I saw a lot of good signs watching this pairs competition, which I will point out later.

ETA: Thanks to Jessica Calalang for sharing this good memory:
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bs0pT1THYfv/

Last edited:

Skittl1321

I think the Kniermans still have drive, and want to win, but I think Alexa's illness gave them different perspective. They skate because they love skating.

They went out and did their best. With Chris's injury, it wasn't very good. Not much can be done about that, so there was no reason to beat themselves up about it.

I feel so bad for Kayne and O'Shea. I was honestly concerned she was very hurt as she cried on the ice as soon as the lift failed, but I don't think she was based on the KnC, just devestated. I wonder what happened.

I loved Stellato/Bartholomew. How does she keep her eyes open with all that heavy glitter?

I'm thrilled for Cain and LeDuc, and glad it happened for them on a skate they should be proud of and not a pair skate that wasn't as bad as others. They earned it. Having skated with Tim when he was a teen, and a novice man, it's truly amazing to me this is where he is now.

Carolla5501

Tarah and Danny got the "reward for skating poorly" award and will be 1st alternates for Worlds and going to 4CC. Deanna and Nate got the "we don't care how well you did award" and will be staying home

WORLDS Ashley and Tim

4CCs Ashley and Tim
Haven and Brandon
Tarah and Danny

And the BEST part. Alternate two for 4CCs is the Knerim's…. "Married couple points award" I guess!

Politics at it's finest at work (and we wonder why we don't do well internationally... Knerim's skated injured put on a skate that was horrid, even they admitted the scores were 'gifted', he's suppose to have surgery but... We make them an alternate for an even next month! Guess USFSA doesn't think the wrist really needs help?? LOL!)

barbarafan

Apparently he’s been competing with it all season

Sorry but I’m not impressed with “oh wait we skated badly but look we are injured”. If it was that bad don’t skate.
The first botched lift he was not able to extend it at all...It was bent by his head. He must have hurt it worse either in practice or the short. They most have thought it would hold out or they would have withdrawn.

haribobo

Why is summer so hot omg
I know the USFS wants to show confidence in them or whatever, but IMO the Knierims being even alternates for anything is ridiculous and so backwards. The goal should be to get experience for a team that did well like Calalang/Johnson and/or Lu/Mitrofanov, not giving a glamor spot to an injured team that needs surgery and bombed. And Denney/Frazier not even being a Worlds alternate is sad. I am fine with Kayne/O'Shea as 1st alt but at least D/F 2nd alt would be fair. :/ Sad for S/B not getting anything after such a fine skate but I suppose I understand.

olympic

Tarah and Danny got the "reward for skating poorly" award and will be 1st alternates for Worlds and going to 4CC. Deanna and Nate got the "we don't care how well you did award" and will be staying home

WORLDS Ashley and Tim

4CCs Ashley and Tim
Haven and Brandon
Tarah and Danny

And the BEST part. Alternate two for 4CCs is the Knerim's…. "Married couple points award" I guess!

Well, I think the correct choice was made for the US representative at Worlds - C/L. Even if you consider BOW, they won the National crown, had a GP medal and achieved the 3rd highest score among US pairs this season. The two teams ahead of them score-wise during the season (K/O and SK/K) committed serious errors at Nationals and Chris Knierim has a serious injury requiring surgery.

The results at Nationals really muddled an easy choice for representation at 4CCs and Worlds. K/O had the highest score and greatest achievements among C/L, D/F and S/B up to yesterday, yet were the lowest placing team among the those teams at Nationals, while D/F who had the sketchiest record leading up to Nationals, kind of roared back here to place 2nd. It left S/B in the middle. Then if you consider that K/O and D/F have longer histories and IMO, better SS than S/B, I can see what the USFSA did and why. Yet, in a sense it does seem unfair. I just don't know how it can be rectified considering all the factors. I would like to add that I'm not quite sold on S/B. They skate 'smaller' than the other teams and the 'skates of their lives' at Nationals still in some respects get overshadowed by the other top teams even when those teams have a mistake or two. I don't see international judges giving them a lot of respect. I don't dislike them, and I hope they keep going to improve those areas that keep them behind.

A team to really keep an eye on is Calalang / Johnson: She is a gutsy pairs gal who normally lands throw jumps, so a bigger stronger partner (who can move quickly and land jumps, too!) gives this team a ton of potential!!

ETA - I do agree making the Knierims an alternate for anything and D/F not being made an alternate is utterly ridiculous.

ETA 2 - Finally, I just want to say that while US pairs is at a nadir, I found it fascinating that so many US pairs at this competition seem to have begun to show on the ice that they are addressing the issues which have plagued US pairs skating for almost 2 decades: I saw US pairs landing SBS jumps more consistently, skating as one, paying attention to intricacies in all the in-between moves, and staying together. The teams that switched partners seemed to have chosen for the better: Johnson ->Calalang and Liu -> new partner (sorry, I forget his name).

Last edited:

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
A positive note: For all the criticisms the US pairs field receives, it is at the moment the third deepest field in the world (behind Russia and China). Since when was the American pairs field deeper than the Canadian field? :lol:

Um - the US Field may be deep.........but they are no where near the quality and consistency of the Russians.

IloveFS

A positive note: For all the criticisms the US pairs field receives, it is at the moment the third deepest field in the world (behind Russia and China). Since when was the American pairs field deeper than the Canadian field? :lol:
@Bonjour Sherry - Just wait a year Bonjour Sherry .... Canada will have exceptional pairs teams.... Brasseur and Bardei (BTW, have you seen their twist live).....

barbarafan

And yet, USFS thinks it' will be fine if he's needed in a few weeks...…..

Sorry I have no words to describe the US Skating Fed's decision making abilities. It is right up there with the Cdn Fed. I have never badly injured a wrist...but my first shoulder injury..a clean small fracture I was not allowed to lift anything heavier than a pencil for a month. Just saying.

haribobo

Why is summer so hot omg
IMO the S/B as Worlds alternates is an I'm sorry to them for not naming them to 4CC...also their SBS triples are mildly consistent vs. Haven's jumps...in theory anyway. But Haven *finally* landed some stuff at Nationals and should be proud.

In the legend of US teams who didn't make the FS at Worlds, S/B are seen as a bit unlucky whereas I think D/F are seen as bombers...not sure how fair that is but that's what it seems to be...

Carolla5501

Well, I think the correct choice was made for the US representative at Worlds - C/L. Even if you consider BOW, they won the National crown, had a GP medal and achieved the 3rd highest score among US pairs this season. The two teams ahead of them score-wise during the season (K/O and SK/K) committed serious errors at Nationals and Chris Knierim has a serious injury requiring surgery.

The results at Nationals really muddled an easy choice for representation at 4CCs and Worlds. K/O had the highest score and greatest achievements among C/L, D/F and S/B up to yesterday, yet were the lowest placing team among the those teams at Nationals, while D/F who had the sketchiest record leading up to Nationals, kind of roared back here to place 2nd. It left S/B in the middle. Then if you consider that K/O and D/F have longer histories and IMO, better SS than S/B, I can see what the USFSA did and why. Yet, in a sense it does seem unfair. I just don't know how it can be rectified considering all the factors. I would like to add that I'm not quite sold on S/B. They skate 'smaller' than the other teams and the 'skates of their lives' at Nationals still in some respects get overshadowed by the other top teams even when those teams have a mistake or two. I don't see international judges giving them a lot of respect. I don't dislike them, and I hope they keep going to improve those areas that keep them behind.

ETA - I do agree making the Knierims an alternate for anything and D/F not being made an alternate is utterly ridiculous.

A team to really keep an eye on is Calalang / Johnson: She is a gutsy pairs gal who normally lands throw jumps, so a bigger stronger partner (who can move quickly and land jumps, too!) gives this team a ton of potential!!

I am absolutely THRILLED Tim and Ashley got the world's spot.

And "season ending injury requiring surgery" seems to be not really true! After all apparently the Knierims are an alternate for an event that begins in 2 weeks!!!!! Apparently USFS thinks we will do well with a team that can't do lifts? (And we wonder why we only have one spot at Worlds? )

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information