U.S. Pairs 2017 - News & Updates, Part VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

HeManSkaterDad

FOR SURE!!!

Anyone know what Kyoko is doing these days? is she completely removed from skating???

Im loving this John Z team...

Question..is Jim P in the same city? And if so rink? I feel I should know this.... Anyway LOVING IT!!!!!

A new 5 sheet rink opened last week in West Florida, see this article. No indication of any coaches there, but they are talking about an "Olympic" skating coach, maybe we see John Z and team there soon?

aftershocks

Banned Member
The Denney family is originally from Florida.

Haven and Brandon mentioned a family move in their interview, so perhaps it was a move to Colorado? And then later, back to Florida? :confused:

A new 5 sheet rink opened last week in West Florida, see this article. No indication of any coaches there, but they are talking about an "Olympic" skating coach, maybe we see John Z and team there soon?

Thanks for the info... I saw mention of an Olympic rink, but nothing about an Olympic skating coach, unless you saw that somewhere else. It does make a lot of sense for John Z and camp to relocate there. It's very interesting that the rink is sponsored by and named after the local hospital: Florida Hospital Center Ice. This is a relevant quote in the press release:

"More than just our name on the door, this is a true partnership where we will provide certified athletic trainers, sports injury prevention programs, sport training programs, health and wellness education and concussion education on-site to support the athletes and families that use this facility..."

Are there any FSUers who live in that area of Florida? :)

Last edited:

madm

Me too. I wish them the best. Denney/barrett showed amazing promise and broke up in 2008 and then re-teamed in 2009. Haven went with her. I don't think there was bad feelings (obviously) between her and Frazier and she had a partner that she was mildly successful with. Maybe it was time needed apart between D/F or an unwillingness to move. They were so young......it all worked out in the end

This article from a FL newspaper before the 2010 Olympics explains the Denney family history:
http://www.tbo.com/pasco-county/olympian-denney-ready-to-melt-hearts-86679
Throughout the Denney sisters' skating careers, their father has remained based in northern Florida working as a manager at the family's Toyota dealership in Ocala. When Caydee accidentally sliced Jeremy Barrett's calf in Feb. 2011 while training for four CC's, that ended his competitive skating career and they parted ways. Caydee's search for a new partner led her to team up with John Coughlin in Colorado. That's why mom and daughters moved to Colorado. After two years of family separation and inability to sell their Florida home, they made the decision to return to Florida. Sometimes people forget the sacrifices families make to do this sport, and reuniting the family was important for them.

Cleo1782

This article from a FL newspaper before the 2010 Olympics explains the Denney family history:
http://www.tbo.com/pasco-county/olympian-denney-ready-to-melt-hearts-86679
Throughout the Denney sisters' skating careers, their father has remained based in northern Florida working as a manager at the family's Toyota dealership in Ocala. When Caydee accidentally sliced Jeremy Barrett's calf in Feb. 2011 while training for four CC's, that ended his competitive skating career and they parted ways. Caydee's search for a new partner led her to team up with John Coughlin in Colorado. That's why mom and daughters moved to Colorado. After two years of family separation and inability to sell their Florida home, they made the decision to return to Florida. Sometimes people forget the sacrifices families make to do this sport, and reuniting the family was important for them.

Like I said no big deal. They were from Florida. I believed Peterson was D/F's initial coach (as Sylvia said in Juv- wiki lists them skating together with Peterson and co through 2008) and of course he paired D/B. According to wiki they (d/f) initially broke because apparently the families lived in two different states.

Denney skated three relatively successful years with Raad including a Novice silver medal at Nats.

Garza and Frazier had relativie success as well competing on the JGP and finishing 5th at Junior Nats and the Novice Bronze.

D/F reteamed in 2011

Obviously in this time Haven remained in Florida while Brandon was in Colorado. Caydee and Jeremy did re-pair in 2009 (they briefly were paired in 2008 but broke up before Nationals). Then Caydee and Jeremy went to Zimmerman (for whatever reason) along with Haven and when Barrett retired he began coaching and Caydee moved to Co again as did Haven and they re-paired (D/F). Again, obviously still having a relationship with Zimmerman D/F went back to Florida while Caydee stayed with John until injury abruptly ended her career.
The Ingo thing was very obvious due to the injury. I think it was wise for them to start fresh and team up with Rockne and get through her injury. The results have obviously paid off. And yes, coach hopping, is a strong word. It's not like they are Nicole Bobek, but they have seemed to bounce between Florida and Co several times and it seems like mostly due to family and/or injury issues.

Catherine M

Well that's not a surprise that Weinstein & Simon have split as they were going backwards in their development. She's probably going to need someone a bit taller than Jacob.

I also saw Chase Belmontes listed on icepartner search too. He's new to pairs, right?

Cleo1782

Lindsay Weinstein is now on icepartnersearch. I liked that Junior Pair team but I guess dropping to 4th this year made this decision happen.

Like a poster mentioned she seemed to grow and they looked very close in height this year. Hope she can find someone taller.

clairecloutier

I see Chase's IPS bio lists him as 6'1". Guess he's grown since the last time his ISU bio was updated. ;)

Counter-clockwise jumper--that's the more common direction, right?

Cleo1782

I see Chase's IPS bio lists him as 6'1". Guess he's grown since the last time his ISU bio was updated. ;)

Counter-clockwise jumper--that's the more common direction, right?
If he is actually 6'1 he actually has a great chance to find a partner. Good luck to him.

el henry

#WeAllWeGot #WeAllWeNeed
I am so excited about Chase Belmontes as a pair dude:cheer2:

TBH, I have not been able to warm up to Chase's programs so much, but I like Him because his blogging and tweeting is so funny and self aware and wonderful. (He once tweeted, after a less than successful SP, that he would send a muffin basket to anyone who had sat through it:lol: ).

I hope he finds success and gets to blog and tweet about it. :respec:

Sylvia

TBD
Jessica Pfund/Joshua Santillan's latest blog post about their many challenges this season (for National #GetUpDay): http://www.joshica.net/blog/uncategorized/persistence/
To recap, last year we trained, but didn’t do twist for the most part of the season. This year we didn’t skate much from Feb-May, skated lightly over the summer and held back for the most part due to her injury recovery and sicknesses, didn’t skate much during the fall because of the recovery from her second surgery, and FINALLY trained from the time we returned from Cup of China (late November/early December) till Nationals with my rotator cuff injury and sickness disrupting us the whole time.
It might seem like I’m writing a book of excuses, but what I’m trying to get it is that from the beginning of the partnership we have dealt with hardships in training. Despite the rotator cuff injury that was caused from the twist repetitions as of late, I think we are both happy with how far the twist has come this season in our short amount of time on it and that it is on the right track to finally become the triple that will put us on par with the other teams we compete against. When we took the ice at the US Championships we had two choices; we could either let our troubled season and “mishap in Minneapolis” affect our performance, or we could follow US Figure Skating’s campaign strategy and #GetUp.

Last edited:

Cleo1782

Wow, I don't recall ever hearing about that! :eek:

Yeah, it was a pretty serious injury that forced him to retire. I think he could have made a comeback, but was satisfied with his accomplishments and moved on. He was quite a bit older than Caydee and seems to have found his niche in coaching and skating shows from time to time.

madm

Yeah, it was a pretty serious injury that forced him to retire. I think he could have made a comeback, but was satisfied with his accomplishments and moved on. He was quite a bit older than Caydee and seems to have found his niche in coaching and skating shows from time to time.

Here's more info about Jeremy's injury and his engagement to Amanda Evora (which has ended):

http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20110212&content_id=16625346&vkey=ice_news

https://fromtheboards.wordpress.com/tag/jeremy-barrett-and-amanda-evora/

http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20101228&content_id=16370762&vkey=ice_news

Chemistry66

He is definitely at least 6ft. I believe TJ Nyman is headed to pairs too.

TJ did do pairs a few years ago too, back when he still officially went by Tommy-Jo instead of just TJ. 2014 bronze medalist in Juvenile Pairs with Sarah Rose (now skating with Joseph Goodpaster, WD this year from Nats).

aftershocks

Banned Member
Re-posting this article about Jeremy Barrett's wedding to fellow pair skater Lucy Galleher last spring: http://web.icenetwork.com/news/2016/05/05/176159672

It's kinda of small world since she skated with Coughlin too lol.

It seems like I miss a ton of IceNetwork articles. I should check there more often during the off-season. :)

Skating is indeed a small world. I enjoyed reading about how Lucy and Jeremy would always run into each other as competitors, but didn't get together romantically until years after they first met:

"Lucy Galleher: All during my pairs skating years I would see Jeremy at various competitions. Jeremy and I never spoke much because I was really shy, but I always thought he was cute."

That's sweet! Apparently they were fated to be together. :D I wonder where they ended up going for their honeymoon, Italy or Thailand?

I had forgotten that Amanda and Jeremy were once engaged. I've always wished I could have seen the pairs tryout between Amanda and Rockne that didn't go further due to a number of reasons including location differences and the fact Amanda had already retired and wasn't 100% about committing to a comeback with a different partner. Amanda and Mark Ladwig are one of my favorite past U.S. pairs teams. They had a wonderful experience at 2010 Olympics.

Last edited:

jkl

Brandon Kozlowski is now on icepartnersearch. Another Junior Pair team splits.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information