U.S. Pairs 2017 - News & Updates, Part VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chemistry66

Brandon Kozlowski is now on icepartnersearch. Another Junior Pair team splits.

This one doesn't surprise me. Kate is still really young (just turned 13 in December!) and Brandon was already 21. It seems like he was a stopgap for her after an attempted partnership with a younger Ukrainian guy didn't work out because of visa issues.

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
^^^Wow! What a story. Thanks so much. I shall now have to watch their skates.

aftershocks

Banned Member
Well written. Didn't realize the struggles they went through last season and the year before that. Hopefully they can get through the next season with more luck!

Well written and with a sense of humor. Many thanks to Josh and Jessica for sharing the story of their early journey together. It's great to learn more about what skaters go through behind-the-scenes, which gives greater insight into their on-ice performances. I'm glad to find out that they learned what the problem was behind their lift difficulties in the fp at 2016 U.S. Nationals. And it's also good to know why their twist element has been coming along slower than is usually anticipated. I enjoy watching P/S, and I wish them much success as they continue forward. :respec:

Cleo1782

Well written and with a sense of humor. Many thanks to Josh and Jessica for sharing the story of their early journey together. It's great to learn more about what skaters go through behind-the-scenes, which gives greater insight into their on-ice performances. I'm glad to find out that they learned what the problem was behind their lift difficulties in the fp at 2016 U.S. Nationals. And it's also good to know why their twist element has been coming along slower than is usually anticipated. I enjoy watching P/S, and I wish them much success as they continue forward. :respec:

Their long at Nationals was really a highlight. Good for them. They seem like nice people.

Jojo13

Love reading about how Josh and Jessica stuck it out through all the ups and downs of their partnership thus far. Their performances at nationals were a delight to watch.

Jojo13

Well that's not a surprise that Weinstein & Simon have split as they were going backwards in their development. She's probably going to need someone a bit taller than Jacob.

I also saw Chase Belmontes listed on icepartner search too. He's new to pairs, right?
Lindsay Weinstein is now on icepartnersearch. I liked that Junior Pair team but I guess dropping to 4th this year made this decision happen.

Weinstein had a huge growth spurt this past season. Two inches if her profile on ice network was accurate. She is a beautiful skater with lots of potential. Hopefully she can find a new partner with some height.

insideedgeua

They both have a lot of potential. I hope both Lindsay and Jacob go on to find partners that are more suitable.

aftershocks

Banned Member
Thankfully too. There weren't too many highlights in the fp at Nationals this year :rofl:

Yeah, but the thing is, that fact should not negate the memorable and noteworthy performances in the sp that do bode well, and are something at the least for Ash/Tim and Deanna/Nate to build on. :)

ETA:
I just realized that the new novice pairs champions are also coached by John Z's group. Erin Coleman/ Derrick Griffin remind me of a younger Haven Denney/ Brandon Frazier. :D
http://web.icenetwork.com/news/2017...man-griffin-blitz-past-field-en-route-to-gold

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Darlene Cain is Canadian and used to ice dance in Canada... not sure of her competitive history. ETA link to a 2014 article: http://www.dallasnews.com/news/news...is-childhood-love-turned-competitive-endeavor
Her father, Peter Cain, is a four-time Australian national champion who competed in the World Championships and the Winter Olympics.
Ashley Cainā€™s mother, Darlene, was a national medalist for Canada who went on to work for Disney on Ice, where she met her husband.

aftershocks

Banned Member
I see @Sylvia beat me to the response @AngieNikodinovLove. As mentioned, Ashley's mom is a former Canadian ice dancer. Her Dad is from Australia. Therefore, Ashley has the option of attempting to skate for either Canada or Australia, but much like young Andrew Torgashev, Ash seems to feel American [in her case, Texan] through and through, so apparently she has never thought of representing any other country.

I had previously posted this old vid of Peter Cain skating with his sister Liz in pairs at the 1980 Winter Olympics. They were coached by John Nicks, who at that competition experienced the disappointment of his top students, Tai & Randy, being unable to compete due to Randy's leg injury:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTI7Sbw5BMg

BTW, it's interesting that the 2014 article @Sylvia linked mentions nothing about Ash's pairs career. Perhaps because at that time, she had placed pairs firmly in her rearview mirror and was concentrating on singles. I'm glad Ash got back into pairs with a partner who matches her so well. :)

And I read recently that Tim hails from Iowa! Wow, a very middle of the country, rolling hills, farming community state based on my brief experience riding in part of the RAGBRAI there one year a long time ago. :) RAGBRAI = Great Bicycle Race Across Iowa

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Sarah Rose is newly listed on IPS today (she and Joseph Goodpaster withdrew before 2017 Nationals): http://icepartnersearch.com/showbio.php?i=5819
She will be 16 in April.

Junior pairs that have split since or before Nationals (* = on IPS):

*Lindsay Weinstein & Jacob Simon (4th)
Kate Finster & Brandon Kozlowski* (10th)
*Jillian Smart & Matthew Rounis (11th)
*Hannah Klopstock & Daniel Arsenault (12th)

*Hilary Asher & Nathan Rensing (13th in Novice) - she will be 16 in May, is a clockwise jumper & has returned to Texas

Competed pairs at 2016 or 2015 Nationals, Novice or higher (IPS profile updated in 2017):
Meiryla Findley (3rd in 2016) - she will be 16 in June
*Kay Bergdolt (8th in Junior in 2016 with Miles Addison) - they competed Senior this season; she will be 21 in June
Darbie Burke (5th in Novice in 2015) - she will be 17 in June
Alyssa McDougal, 18 (13th in Senior in 2016)
ETA:
Jessica Lee, 17 (10th in Junior in 2016)
Nathaniel Dennler (11th in Novice in 2016) - he will be 20 in June
Anthony (listed as "ky") Evans (4th in Junior in 2014) - he will be 25 in May

Last edited:

PairSk8r123

Competed pairs at 2016 or 2015 Nationals, Novice or higher (IPS profile updated in 2017):
Meiryla Findley (3rd in 2016) - she will be 16 in June
*Kay Bergdolt (8th in Junior in 2016 with Miles Addison) - they competed Senior this season; she will be 21 in June
Darbie Burke (5th in Novice in 2015) - she will be 17 in June
Alyssa McDougal, 18 (13th in Senior in 2016)
Don't forget Jessica Lee (2016 J10 with Kozlowski) and Max Settlage (2016 S4 with Aaron) :)

Sylvia

TBD
^^^ Thanks, I've edited in Jessica Lee, Nathaniel Dennler, and Anthony Evans. I didn't include Settlage because his IPS profile was last updated back in November 2016.

Last edited:

Jojo13

Does anyone know if any new junior or senior teams have been formed or if any if the listed splits have had tryouts?

Last edited:

aftershocks

Banned Member
It's worth listening to Jackie Wong's interview with Rockne Brubaker and Stefania Berton on Ice Talk, Episode 18:
http://web.icenetwork.com/fans/icetalk

I didn't realize that Rockne/Stefania had an intermediate pair who won bronze, and a junior pair who placed 5th at U.S. Nats, in addition to of course Haven/Brandon winning senior pairs. :)

olympic

^To me, Rockne always seemed to be a 'driver': Someone who pushed others but in a good way. Still, that style of coaching may be an acquired taste.

Sylvia

TBD
I didn't realize that Rockne/Stefania had an intermediate pair who won bronze, and a junior pair who placed 5th at U.S. Nats
Laiken Lockley, 14, and Keenan Prochnow, 19 this past December - here's their Midwestern Sectional Junior Pairs SP to "A Chorus Line/Stayin' Alive" last November: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPCTGKAE8p4

L/P debuted on the JGP last fall - this was their FS to Les Retrouvailles (Yann Tiersen) in Dresden, Germany last October: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOGHjK_84Rs

Isabelle Martins and Ryan Bedard are Brubaker/Berton's Intermediate pair - they won the Juvenile title in 2016.

Last edited:

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications šŸ˜
Raise your hand :respec: if you are excited to see the new material of the Scimerim's next week!

I am VERY curious to see them in action.. and I promise to stay optimistic about the Unchained melody music... I just hope it aint cheesy. I dont see that music as any other way...

But Ive missed them so Im gonna stay optimistic!!!!

honey

LOLLL..before I clicked on this link I said I hope Honey aint sending me the Underhill & Martini video......

Although not bad, its not a fav of mine.

Fave or not would you really call it cheesy? I don't think there's anything remotely cheesy about that program. I thought Keauna and Rockne's sp from 2010 was quite nice as well and struck the right tone.

I agree there is a high degree of possible cheese factor with that music, but I think it's more the other music from Ghost that brings the cheese. I believe S-K/K are using other cuts besides just Unchained Melody, so I too hope the program isn't velveta flavored.

el henry

#WeAllWeGot #WeAllWeNeed
I don't think it's bad, but I am little concerned since the s-k/k are married and may play up the cheesiness. We will see

I'm not as concerned about that, since I have not so far seen S-K/K play up the romance angle, which for me is an enormous plus. I hate like poison all the faux (or real, who cares) romance-on-ice, pawing and kissy face and bedroom eyes. Give me a break. I don't believe it, you're *skating*.

Of course, I don't think Unchained Melody is all that cheesy, either, so what do I know?:D I do hope that "come what may" is a real program.

olympic

Unchained Melody is a beautiful piece of music but can VERY easily be ruined by any variety of O face, OTT facial expressions, unnecessary arms or hand gestures, jerky moves. It's gentle and any expression has to come from within to make it work. Can SK/K do that?

aftershocks

Banned Member

Barb and Paul were great in a different era though. Plus that's an exhibition performance, not a demanding technical performance. There's been few teams who could skate sexy like Barb & Paul. I would include Sale/Pelletier and James/Cipres on any sultry sexy romantic skating partners list. :D

It's gentle and any expression has to come from within to make it work. Can SK/K do that?

I don't know about S-K/K @olympic, but Johnny Weir was able to do that in his 2005 exhibition. :D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A80_Hlvhk8Q

With Dick Button, Terry Gannon and Peggy Fleming commentating. I miss Dick's commentary so much! And I miss Johnny Weir at the height of his exquisite talents. :swoon:

Maybe Alexa and Chris will surprise us. We'll see.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information