U.S. Men 2021-22 season news & updates

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
I recall Megan Duhamel tweeting her :eek: at the size of the boxes and how close everyone was when the event opened. It certainly was an interesting choice considering how strict everything else is. Plastic barriers between all the athletes in the dining area but cram them all together in the boxes. I wonder if that was left to the ISU whereas the organisers control everything else.

I suspect it was done for TV, so that the cameras could get nice tight shots of all of the team members cheering together. I agree that it's a stupid choice given the circumstances.

Last edited:

jlai

Question everything
I feel like certain things lined up for Nathan very well this season. First, he no longer had to defend a long winning streak after that loss in SA. That took some of the pressure off. That resulted in him not being the top qualifiier for the gpf, and oh, and no grand prix final to give him more hype than he already got if he had won that.

Nathan only skated well enough for nationals to qualify, getting ready to peak here.

As for Jason, for some reason, he seems to come in and fill the gap whenever something happened with Vincent ((Vincent)). Both at last year's worlds and here. I'm glad he is in Beijing

Panja

Sinnerman, Sinnerman, Sinnerman. Best programme I've ever seen. Why aren't you just proud of a guy who can skate to it? Nobody else can. Whether they have quintiples or quadraple axels? It might not be gold, but it is definitely watchable. I cried. it moved me so much.

meer

Bringing back the viral discussion from last month, Nathan's SP is currently trending #1 on youtube with over 1.45 million views (NBC geolocked video) and growing quickly. :eek: Jason’s skate also got impressive 100k+ view in less than 24 hours.

Sasha'sSpins

🇺🇦💙🙏💛🇺🇦
Vincent. Life can be so unfair. I'm heartbroken for him. He won't even be able to participate in the medal ceremony, which is usually held in an outdoor venue, separate from the panda mascot presentation ceremony. I'm so very worried for him too. Lonely, isolated after this devastating blow. I wish so many good things for Vincent, at Worlds and in life in general in all the years to come. 🥺💔💔💔

Jason was ethereal, otherworldly! He fully deserved to be there and the judges clearly agree! He made the final group! 🤩💖💖💖

Nathan, who stole my heart many a year ago when he skated to Peter and the Wolf - he was AWESOME in his SP! Redemption my baby skater boy! I hope he ROCKS his FS, and soars as the Rocketman! 🚀🚀🚀🤘😎 Whatever happens tomorrow, he is going home with good Olympic memories! Stay focused Nathan, kick ice and fight fight fight! 🔥🔥🔥 :kickass:💪

Allskate

Vincent. Life can be so unfair. I'm heartbroken for him. He won't even be able to participate in the medal ceremony, which is usually held in an outdoor venue, separate from the panda mascot presentation ceremony.
The medal ceremony has been delayed, though it is not clear why, other than "legal issues."

Maybe there is a slim chance that the ceremony will not take place until after Vincent is out of quarantine?

Some of the team members didn't even learn about what had happened with Vincent until the panda presentation:

VGThuy

The medal ceremony has been delayed, though it is not clear why, other than "legal issues."

Maybe there is a slim chance that the ceremony will not take place until after Vincent is out of quarantine?

Some of the team members didn't even learn about what had happened with Vincent until the panda presentation:
Love that Karen was asking about Vincent and Nathan is adamant that it wasn’t right when Vincent’s name wasn’t called during the panda ceremony.

Allskate

Love that Karen was asking about Vincent and Nathan is adamant that it wasn’t right when Vincent’s name wasn’t called during the panda ceremony.
And that the team members turned the moment into an opportunity to send Vincent a video message. I really do love this team.

I don't want scandal in the team event, but I would love it if they didn't do the medal ceremony until all the figure skating events were over.

Things that may you go hmmmm:

Amantide

“I don’t even have to talk about Chen - this is space! Everything is the same there: technique, skill, skating, program, execution. Such skating goes down in history and is remembered for centuries, ”Rodnina said in an interview with the correspondent Arina Lavrova.

It's a google translate I read here.

Allskate

It's a google translate I read here.
When I clicked on that article, there was a link to another article:

Google translate says:
"The results of the team figure skating tournament at the Olympic Games in Beijing (China) may be revised due to the situation with the doping test of the figure skater of the Russian national team. It is reported by Inside the Games.

According to the publication, the problem arose with the athlete's test, passed before the Olympics."

And a link to the referenced publication: https://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/1119022/beijing-2022-figure-skating-medal-delay

"A situation involving Russian Olympic Committee (ROC) and the international doping authorities is believed to be the cause of the delay, insidethegames understands.

It is believed the problem refers to a drugs test conducted before Beijing 2022."

A possible problem with Russia - I mean ROC - and doping? Couldn't be. ;)

Amantide

When I clicked on that article, there was a link to another article:

Google translate says:
"The results of the team figure skating tournament at the Olympic Games in Beijing (China) may be revised due to the situation with the doping test of the figure skater of the Russian national team. It is reported by Inside the Games.

According to the publication, the problem arose with the athlete's test, passed before the Olympics."

And a link to the referenced publication: https://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/1119022/beijing-2022-figure-skating-medal-delay

"A situation involving Russian Olympic Committee (ROC) and the international doping authorities is believed to be the cause of the delay, insidethegames understands.

It is believed the problem refers to a drugs test conducted before Beijing 2022."

A possible problem with Russia - I mean ROC - and doping? Couldn't be. ;)
That's weird. It works fine for me.
You have to scroll down. There is a picture of Nathan with a facemask. https://www.championat.com/olympicw...hodit-v-istoriyu-i-zapominaetsya-na-veka.html

Edit: Never mind, I thought you meant you couldn't see the original link.

Amantide

It worked fine. I could read it. But it also included a link to that other article, which was interesting because most of the English language media I had seen was only talking about a "legal issue."
Yeah, I got it after I wrote the msg. 👍

olympic

In light of Jason's 6th place finish, do people feel the same about the team selection by the USFSA in January

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
In light of Jason's 6th place finish, do people feel the same about the team selection by the USFSA in January

Yes. Ilia should have been sent. Especially with the whole story line of US Men's Olympic gold medalists all talking about how much their first games set them up with the experience they needed to win their second.
No doubt in my mind that Ilia should have been sent. As was pointed out elsewhere, if Ilia had delivered in Beijing what he did in Nashville, he would have been at least 4th, possibly 3rd. He should have been sent for experience.

mtnskater

So glad Jason was sent. He proved the Olympic judges still value and reward his beautiful skating without quad jumps. He placed much higher than the naysayers predicted…actually would have been 4th without the doubled combo. Jason was a breath of fresh air in the mens event for the world to see and enjoy.

I love Ilia too but I don’t think sending someone mainly for experience is the right way to go. I think the US selections were spot on. Ilia gets both junior and senior worlds (assuming he gets the SP minimums soon). Also glad Vincent was already named to worlds given that the crud robbed him of the Olympic individual event he trained so hard for.

zigzig

I'm assuming the judges would have held down Ilia's PCS to keep him out of the medals, but if he skated like he did at Nationals, it would have really set him up as a front runner for the next four years.

Love Jason and thrilled he skated two clean and soulful programs but I'll never agree with leaving Ilia off the team.

becca

I'm assuming the judges would have held down Ilia's PCS to keep him out of the medals, but if he skated like he did at Nationals, it would have really set him up as a front runner for the next four years.

Love Jason and thrilled he skated two clean and soulful programs but I'll never agree with leaving Ilia off the team.
Neither will I

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information