Status
Not open for further replies.

Sylvia

TBD
2020 U.S. Novice & Junior Challenge Skate virtual competition (domestic invitational previously held in conjunction with the U.S. International Classic in Salt Lake City, Utah):

Junior Ladies entries (last season's National and/or Sectional levels & placements included)
Gwen Bloesch P-N3
*Elsa Cheng M-N1/J7
*Sofia Frank M-N15
*Hannah Herrera P-N2/J15
*Tamnhi Huynh M-N2/J6
Mia Kalin J13
Michelle Lee P-N1/J18
*Isabeau Levito E-N1/J2
Cathryn Limketkai E-N4
Hannah Lofton M-N12
Lindsay Mattenson P-N4
*Audrey Meredith M-N3
*Maryn Pierce J8
*Haley Scott E-J6
Adele Zheng M-N7
Ava Ziegler E-Int2

Novice Ladies entries (last season's National and/or Sectional levels & placements included)
Hannah Baldwin P-Int4
Alina Bonillo M-Int3
Morgan Heavrin CP Regional-N3 (WD from P Sectional)
Tia Hilbelink P-Int1
Ellie Kam M-Int2
Cindy Lin P-Int2
Elyce Lin-Gracey P-Juv4
Emilie Mao M-N5
Ava Neuhaus M-Int1
Gabriela Summer Panaligan E-Int10
Brynn Roberts P-N8
Jordan Scott E-Juv17
Lisa Zhu M-Int5

*= currently in USFS' International Selection Pool (ISP)
I assume the other skaters currently are in USFS' Athlete High Performance Development Pool (AHPDP), which is not published online.

Junior 'B' international experience: Cheng (2), Herrera, Huynh
Adv. Novice international experience: Kalin, Levito
2019 North American Cup experience (as novices): Cheng, Herrera, Huynh, Levito, Lofton, Meredith, Mattenson, Zheng

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
Since so many folks are discussing Alysa Liu over in the Eteri-Medvedeva thread, may I ask:

What is the current or most-recently-known status of Liu?

Has she posted any recent photos or film clips?

Do we know when we may be seeing her next, in competition (in USFS qualifying series, for example)?

Thanks in advance for any insights!

Until we really know her physical shape and progress, we can’t boast, predict, etc.

Last edited:

Frau Muller

Ooo...a curious silence about Liu’s status. Shall I take that as “No news is good news”?

concorde

Lui skates in the San Francisco area - right? If so, I would assume that the air quality in that area is greatly affected by the surrounding forest fires.

If the air quality is that poor, I cannot imagine trying to skate in that.

From what I heard from work colleagues that live in the Portland areas, the smoke is getting into home thought door and window cracks. Many have towels shoved in to try to keep the smoke out.

natsulian

Hopefully we will be able to see Alysa Liu during the virtual ISP Points Challenge. All senior disciplines will be participating on September 22nd and the videos will be available on-demand on the US Figure Skating website. Hoping to see Alysa, Ting, Hanna, Mariah, and Bradie's new (or old) programs.

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
Lui skates in the San Francisco area - right? If so, I would assume that the air quality in that area is greatly affected

If the air quality is thatkioor, I ot imagine trying to skate in that.

From what I heard from work colleagues that live in the Portland areas, the smoke is getting into home thought door and window cracks. Many have towels shoved in to try to keep the smoke out..
The smoke down here is ungodly and totally unprecedented. I have never seen anything like it....and I have been through many many fires. I have no idea if Alysa is able to skate. Put a layer of covid on top of it and you are really screwed. I am nit far from Alyssa. The smoke sets like something out of the Twilight Zone.

AxelAnnie

According to us air quality control the weather in
TODAY:
MODERATE
If you suffer respiratory issues, reduce prolonged or heavy outdoor exertion.

I am sure you can walk outside, look up see the sky and gove a high five. That is not the information you need.

I live 40 minutes north of the GGB and across the bay from Oakland. My home is on a hill overlooking the river and the other side of the hills. There is nothing but brown, yellow air out there. It has been twilight for a week or more.

Having said that, Alysa will not be outside so her skating should not be a problem. However i dont have an overall picture. How long is the drive? Does she have any elderly along for the ride.

I wound never condemn someone for not going out in this mess to skaters. BTW i have a new home that is hermetically sealed lol or something....and there is so much ash in here it is astounding.

Frau Muller

Hopefully we will be able to see Alysa Liu during the virtual ISP Points Challenge. All senior disciplines will be participating on September 22nd and the videos will be available on-demand on the US Figure Skating website. Hoping to see Alysa, Ting, Hanna, Mariah, and Bradie's new (or old) programs.

Ah, so that’s soon. Tomorrow is the 22nd. Day of the Big Reveals for USA’s Senior Skaters! 🇺🇸

The videos were all submitted last week and already judged, in order to make selections to international events.

I’ve bookmarked this:

Last edited:

Willin

Her rink reopened in June, so I'd assume she's been training since then. I no longer skate there so I don't know how much or what's happening.

Frau Muller

Just one more follow-up on Liu. Since her coaching switch to Lee Barkell, did she physically move to Toronto...or is she still in Calif/USA, being coached via Zoom by Barkell & team? I can guess the latter, since she’s just 15 and likely to still be with family...and the whole health situation.

AxelAnnie

Just one more follow-up on Liu. Since her coaching switch to Lee Barkell, did she physically move to Toronto...or is she still in Calif/USA, being coached via Zoom by Barkell & team? I can guess the latter, since she’s just 15 and likely to still be with family...and the whole health situation.
I thought the plan was that she would go up for 3 or 4 days at a time.

Sylvia

TBD
The senior skaters all have a second opportunity to compete in the ISP Points Challenge in early October (if they are not included in the first batch of videos scheduled for release tomorrow) and those videos are supposed be available to watch on Tuesday, Oct. 6.

Copying relevant parts of my 2 posts from the U.S. Club Competitions thread in Kiss & Cry re. the Madison Open in Wisconsin that took place this past weekend:
Elsa Cheng won Jr. Ladies SP (57.88) - cleanly landed 3T+3T, 2A & 3Lz with 2 level 4 spins & footwork (she kept her music to "The Storm" by Havasi from last season)
Finley Hawk won Sr. Ladies SP (54.42) - cleanly landed 3Lz+2T, 3F & 2A with 2 level 4 spins & footwork
The skate of Saturday definitely went to Finley Hawk in Senior Ladies FS (scored 111.07 which is the 2nd highest club comp. score that I know of to date) - she landed 5 triples, including both 3Lz, in her Carmen program with no negative GOEs on her protocol: https://ijs.usfigureskating.org/leaderboard/nonqual_results/2020/29610/SEGM030.html
Hawk finished 7th in the deep Midwestern Sectional Junior Ladies field last season and I hope she will be considered for the ISP.

Elsa Cheng won the Junior Ladies FS (94.55) and started & ended well: 2A, 3Lz+2T & 3Lo, L4 step sequence and finishing with 3S+2T, 3T & two L4 spins. First half of her program was from the The Da Vinci Code but I didn't recognize the music in the 2nd half.
Both of them are coached by Denise Myers/Jeremy Allen in the Chicago area.

Last edited:

Frau Muller

Thanks. So we don’t know yet whose videos will appear tomorrow, since they all will have a 2nd Chance? Or will all competitors’ vids appear tomorrow & those who want a better score will try for “2nd Chance” later? In other words, is the “1st chance” mandatory...or will those skaters who don’t feel quite ready be allowed to skip the “1st chance”?
Oh Lordie, I wish that real life would be so sweet, with possible 2nd chances!

Last edited:

Tinami Amori

Lui skates in the San Francisco area - right? If so, I would assume that the air quality in that area is greatly affected by the surrounding forest fires.
Alysa Liu lives in the East Bay, she skates at Oakland Ice Arena (a former relocated Berkeley Iceland). Her father has a law practice/office also in Oakland, within several blocks from the ice-rink. The enclosed placed, as far as i note in Bay Area, are not too seriously affected by ashes and bad air. Plus it only lasted a few days, now it is ok.

I am not sure how she plans to train with Lee Barkell. Her father is a single father, with several children close to Alysa's age. They have a house in the area and he has his practice. They would either have to ALL move to Toronto, or the father would have to let Alysa travel there alone, maybe with a hired guardian. Either way it would be difficult.

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
I believe (unofficial hearsay) Alysa is still based in Oakland, CA with Massimo Scali as her coach there.

Re. the ISP Points Challenge:
Nothing is mandatory. Incentives for the ISP skaters to compete virtually are 1) the prize money; 2) possible future international assignments; and, for the seniors who didn't place in the top 5 at Nationals last year, 3) a chance to earn a bye directly to 2021 Nationals.

Ena Grins

I hope some of the higher-profile senior skaters choose to participate in the ISP Points Challenge. Selfishly, it's so I can have some figure skating to watch, but it does seem like a good opportunity to get some early-season feedback on your programs and be in something more like a competitive environment.

AxelAnnie

Alysa Liu lives in the East Bay, she skates at Oakland Ice Arena (a former relocated Berkeley Iceland). Her father has a law practice/office also in Oakland, within several blocks from the ice-rink. The enclosed placed, as far as i note in Bay Area, are not too seriously affected by ashes and bad air. Plus it only lasted a few days, now it is ok.

I am not sure how she plans to train with Lee Barkell. Her father is a single father, with several children close to Alysa's age. They have a house in the area and he has his practice. They would either have to ALL move to Toronto, or the father would have to let Alysa travel there alone, maybe with a hired guardian. Either way it would be difficult.
Alissa 's father can handle his docket remotely . Any one know what kind of law he practices?

concorde

Alissa 's father can handle his docket remotely . Any one know what kind of law he practices?
Not all firms are open to that. The two firms I worked at were very old school and wanted their people in the office the majority of the time.

I would think if you hired an immigration lawyer to handle your case, you would want to meet with them in person. At least I would!

Sylvia

TBD
Maybe we can discuss our initial impressions of the ISP Points Challenge ladies' performances & programs in this thread? Cross-posting here what I just posted...

From a recent Fan Zone article on Mariah Bell:
Bell knew she wanted a medley of songs for her free skate and Bourne proposed ABBA. Bell turned it down, then listened to it while on the ice and fell in love. The program includes four of the Swedish pop band's hits:
Order of the songs: "Dancing Queen," "The Winner Takes It All," Mamma Mia," "Thank You for the Music."

I thought Mariah looked really fit and trained for September, landing 6 triples including 2 3Lz & 2 3F. For a first public run through of the season I didn't expect her to perform "full out" like she can. A very promising first step, IMO!

Claudia2011

I am new to this. How can I watch the 2020 pool selection especially the senior ladies? I have some favourites that I want to watch.

AngieNikodinovLove

Frangi & Piazza & Paul & Hektor & Theo. Oh My! 😝
I just watch the ladies free skate, I don’t mind Mariah program even though she insists on making me sit through a warhorse. I quite like the ending!!

My question is is she working to up her technical content? I don’t even think I saw a 3/3 in the free. I hope she’s not resorting back to that.

It was nice to see Bradie trying to put the triple Lutz / Triple loop back into her repertoire and of course she’s going for the triple axels. So with some more hard work hopefully she’ll be competitive for world medals 🥇

Sylvia

TBD
Alysa Liu will be performing virtually for Carnival on Ice 2020.
Nathan & Mariah also have recorded programs as guest skaters -- here's the event thread for Japan Open/Carnival on Ice on October 3rd: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/threads/2020-japan-open-october-3-carnival-on-ice-gala.107589/

Copying over from the ISP Points Challenge thread - @natsulian's thoughts on 4 of the ladies:
1. Mariah Bell - I find her performance quality, skating skills, and lines to be exquisite. I LOVED her short program to “Glitter in the Air,” but found her free to lack coherence. Although her skating was superb (and jumps solid), the way the songs progressed was truncated and took away from the experience. However, she looks well trained.
2. Bradie Tennell - Gutsy of her to try and upgrade her technical content by going for the 3Lz-3Lo and although rotated (during the short), she was unable to land it. The long set up for the 2A also seems to be a harbinger of the 3A. Tennell looked... oddly off. The usual consistency and kemptness were gone which was jarring, but everything is new territories for her right now so I’m sure she is simply adjusting.
3. Audrey Shin - Beautiful extensions, spins, jumps, and all around a well developed skater. However, she tends to UR her jumps and although very consistent with her short, she still needs to find that consistency with her long. However, I love both her programs (although very similar).
4. Lindsay Thorngren - A wonderful up and coming skater who blew past everyone technically (attempting two 3-3s) and although there were a few UR’s, she managed to land every single jump. She needs to work on her speed and skating skills, but she is truly gifted and I cannot wait to see her development.
Bradie's program music as identified from her ISP Points Challenge videos:
SP - "Moderation" by Florence + The Machine

FP - "Sarajevo" by Max Richter
"Dawn of Faith" by Eternal Eclipse

(There might be one or two more songs in the FP but those are the first (?) and last ones.)
My question is is she working to up her technical content? I don’t even think I saw a 3/3 in the free.
Likely, since Mariah only did one combo (3F+2T+2Lo) in her FS. She did include 3F+3T in her SP although it wasn't her best landing.

AngieNikodinovLove

Frangi & Piazza & Paul & Hektor & Theo. Oh My! 😝
Likely, since Mariah only did one combo (3F+2T+2Lo) in her FS. She did include 3F+3T in her SP although it wasn't her best landing.

It seems to have been her recipe for a few years now.

Question - if she can do a 3/3, because she does it in the SP, how come she doesnt do it usually in the free?

Its always been quite noticeable that she doesnt do a 3/3 in the free. And how can that measure up anymore with skaters from Russia, Korea and Japan. I guess with high GOE like Jason.

Anywhoooo glad Bradie is getting the 3 lutz/3loops out there to start getting them out there. Wonder when she will start to put the 3 axels out there. No reason to rush that one until its good.

Sylvia

TBD
Question - if she can do a 3/3, because she does it in the SP, how come she doesnt do it usually in the free?
Mariah was credited with landing 3F+3T cleanly in her Nationals FS as well as in all 3 of her internationals last season. She said in an interview with the Olympic Channel earlier this summer that she's been working on some new elements, including new combos, so we'll just to wait and see if they materialize in competition at some point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information