Status
Not open for further replies.

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
New interview with Mariah.

Bell knew she wanted a medley of songs for her free skate and Bourne proposed ABBA. Bell turned it down, then listened to it while on the ice and fell in love. The program includes four of the Swedish pop band's hits: "Dancing Queen," "Mamma Mia," "Thank You for the Music" and "The Winner Takes It All."

"It's turning out to be one of my most favorite programs I've ever done," Bell said. "It's super interesting and I like it because it pushes me out of my comfort zone to be a little more creative. It's also a great time to do that – we have this season and then the next one is the Olympic season, so I can choose if I keep these or what kind of style in the last three years worked well for me and choose programs based on that for the Olympic season."

VALuvsMKwan

Codger level achieved
New interview with Mariah.

Bell knew she wanted a medley of songs for her free skate and Bourne proposed ABBA. Bell turned it down, then listened to it while on the ice and fell in love. The program includes four of the Swedish pop band's hits: "Dancing Queen," "Mamma Mia," "Thank You for the Music" and "The Winner Takes It All."

"It's turning out to be one of my most favorite programs I've ever done," Bell said. "It's super interesting and I like it because it pushes me out of my comfort zone to be a little more creative. It's also a great time to do that – we have this season and then the next one is the Olympic season, so I can choose if I keep these or what kind of style in the last three years worked well for me and choose programs based on that for the Olympic season."

I like Mariah and LOVE ABBA, but cynical old me can't help but comment that the scheduled location of Worlds just happens to be in the city that hosts ABBA the Museum.

Foolhardy Ham Lint

I must watch Bechke and Petrov's short program skated to 'Money, Money, Money' again from the 1991 World Championships.

With her choice of ABBA, Adam has basically turned Mariah into the female version of him. Not that there is anything wrong with that.

Sylvia

TBD
With her choice of ABBA, Adam has basically turned Mariah into the female version of him.
Shae-Lynn Bourne choreographed Mariah's FS (again). Relevant excerpt from the Fan Zone article:
... short program to P!nk's "Glitter in the Air," choreographed by Rippon and Molly Oberstar, and an ABBA medley free skate devised by Shae-Lynn Bourne. Maintaining what works among her team throughout the Olympic quadrennium, this is the third year in a row Rippon has choreographed her short and Bourne her free.
"Molly and I grew up working with a lot of the same choreographers and she's a brilliant skater," Rippon said of bringing in his friend and former competitive skater. "As soon as I told Molly we had to start brainstorming music, Molly brought up 'Glitter in the Air' as her first suggestion back in January. We asked Mariah what she thought, Mariah liked it and that was it."

ETA:

Good Morning America Digital did a video interview with Starr Andrews - link to watch is posted here:
https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/th...ersity-in-figure-skating.107470/#post-5852345

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
Bourne proposed ABBA

Wayyyy too safe (and boring) of a choice for ANL

Surprised SLB chose that. She’s one of the people I like for innovation for choreography and music, not warhorse 101

If she was going to go down that route I’m surprised she didn’t choose selections that aren’t the ones done the most and that her fellow one-time competitor didn’t also use for her free programs.

Last season she also did hallelujah another warhorse. Would like to see Mariah step into her own and choose people in her inner circle that aren’t her Besties or long times! Mix it up! But that’s just me.

Right now I’m more excited for Alysa and Bradie because they did drastic steps so I am looking forward to what will be new for them.

And Amber’s never ending parade of triple axels!!!!

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD

Surprised SLB chose that. She’s one of the people I like for innovation for choreography and music, not warhorse 101

If she was going to go down that route I’m surprised she didn’t choose selections that aren’t the ones done the most and that her fellow one-time competitor didn’t also use for her free programs.

Last season she also did hallelujah another warhorse.
Eh. Speaking for myself... if a skater can perform a "warhorse" like Mariah did at Nationals and bring me and most of the audience in Greensboro to their feet, who cares? :D

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

Eh. Speaking for myself... if a skater can perform a "warhorse" like Mariah did at Nationals and bring me and most of the audience in Greensboro to their feet, who cares? :D

LOL I did write originally although she performed that warhorse beautifully but I accidentally erased it. I’ve been on my phone writing posts lately instead of the laptop. I’m not used to the difference in screen

Spikefan

Rooting for that middle-aged team
My fear for Mariah is the program could fall flat with no audience or a limited audience.

skateboy

"It's turning out to be one of my most favorite programs I've ever done," Bell said. "It's super interesting and I like it because it pushes me out of my comfort zone to be a little more creative.
At the risk of throwing cold water (because I really do like Mariah), ABBA has been done to death. I'm not sure how skating to "The Winner Takes it All," etc., pushes her out of her comfort zone.

But I'm sure she'll skate beautifully, she always does.

Reactions: tlk

greenapple

At the risk of throwing cold water (because I really do like Mariah), ABBA has been done to death. I'm not sure how skating to "The Winner Takes it All," etc., pushes her out of her comfort zone.
Mirai Nagasu said the same thing about her LP to "The Winner Takes it All" in the 2016-17 season, but I think Mariah has the ability to really sell it with or without an audience.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

orbitz

I don't think ABBA music has been overused in competitive programs at all. I can only recall Jenny Kirk's unfortunate muzak version.
I think it'll at least be fun for the audience. Love me some 'Dancing Queen'.

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...

But I'm sure she'll skate beautifully, she always does.
What in the world is she thinking? I don't think anyone could make that music relevant or interesting.

Bellanca

Some ABBA trivia:

"The Winner Takes It All" is a ballad reflecting the end of a romance.

The story (rumor) goes something like this:

"The Winner Takes It All," originally titled "The Story of My Life," was written by both Björn Ulvaeus and Benny Andersson, with Fältskog singing the lead vocal. The lyrics to the song were thought to mirror the divorce between Ulvaeus and Fältskog in 1979. However, Ulvaeus himself denies this, saying the basis of the song "is the experience of a divorce, but it's fiction. There wasn't a winner or a loser in our case. A lot of people think it's straight out of reality, but it's not." According to "The Winner Takes It All" song facts, Ulvaeus has said that while he usually didn't use drugs or alcohol while writing, he had a bottle of brandy next to him while writing the lyrics for this song. It was very personal to him.

However, it still circulates to this day that infidelity actually did cause the marriage to end in divorce, and Agnetha is the scorned woman singing about the mistress that won over her husband and lured him away. Fact, not fiction according to those back in the day, and with the knowledge.

Regardless, the song has a much darker, more profound, personal implication than merely winning or having lost to a rival in competition.

AxelAnnie

Some ABBA trivia:

"The Winner Takes It All" is a ballad reflecting the end of a romance.

The story (rumor) goes something like this:

"The Winner Takes It All," originally titled "The Story of My Life," was written by both Björn Ulvaeus and Benny Andersson, with Fältskog singing the lead vocal. The lyrics to the song were thought to mirror the divorce between Ulvaeus and Fältskog in 1979. However, Ulvaeus himself denies this, saying the basis of the song "is the experience of a divorce, but it's fiction. There wasn't a winner or a loser in our case. A lot of people think it's straight out of reality, but it's not." According to "The Winner Takes It All" song facts, Ulvaeus has said that while he usually didn't use drugs or alcohol while writing, he had a bottle of brandy next to him while writing the lyrics for this song. It was very personal to him.

However, it still circulates to this day that infidelity actually did cause the marriage to end in divorce, and Agnetha is the scorned woman singing about the mistress that won over her husband and lured him away. Fact, not fiction according to those back in the day, and with the knowledge.

Regardless, the song has a much darker, more profound, personal implication than merely winning or having lost to a rival in competition.
Wow. Dark and immoral. Sounds right up Mariah's alley.

AxelAnnie

I don't think ABBA music has been overused in competitive programs at all. I can only recall Jenny Kirk's unfortunate muzak version.
I think it'll at least be fun for the audience. Love me some 'Dancing Queen'.
Once with ABBA could be considered overused.

SidelineSkater

Mariah is skating to a medley of ABBA, her entire program isn't TWTIA. I think we should all be grateful to see any skating, warhorses or not.

And ANL - I love you like I love cupcakes, but Mariah doesn't always skate to overused music - she gives us a 50/50 smix, with one program being 'safe' and the other being somewhat edgy. If last season's short to Work B!itch isn't mixing it up, I'm not sure what is? Her 18-19 programs were great on her too - Celine for the short and Experience by Einaudi were fresh. I think the Einaudi piece was popular with several pairs teams in the season after she did it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information