Status
Not open for further replies.

Maximillian

RIP TA
Kudos to Bradie for making GPF, to be one of the top six ladies on the GP is really something special these days. For Bradie to be in the company of the top 3 Russian ladies, Kihira and the reigning World and Olympic champion is an awesome feat, and not something I really thought would happen.

Congratulations to Mariah, too for two GP bronze medals. I would have to say between these two, the U.S. ladies went above and beyond expectations. and for all the talk of RUS and Japanese ladies dominance, it's pretty nice to see that while there are four Russian ladies in the GPF, the U.S. and Japan have one representative each. Not too shabby, U.S. ladies.

Tavi

According to TSL Gracie fired Vincent and told him not to come to sectionals. She is still at same rink working with these two guys, Alex and Pasha to prepare for Nationals:

https://www.instagram.com/p/B49OGSTH...d=uzprqh1m900f

Apparently Vincent is no longer at the rink but is in California, unclear what is going on with him. Also Gracie is no longer with IMG, she is with Tara Modlin, who is Rohene Ward’s agent - causing TSL to hope / speculate that he will do choreography for Gracie next year.

OMG I would die to see Gracie with Rohene programs!

SkateFanBerlin

According to TSL Gracie fired Vincent and told him not to come to sectionals. She is still at same rink working with these two guys, Alex and Pasha to prepare for Nationals:

Apparently Vincent is no longer at the rink but is in California, unclear what is going on with him. Also Gracie is no longer with IMG, she is with Tara Modlin, who is Rohene Ward’s agent - causing TSL to hope / speculate that he will do choreography for Gracie next year.

TSL posted 2013 broadcasts where they said, even then, that the Tchaikovsky, princess type was the opposite of who Gracie was(is). Remember Frank dumped her Gershwin short first thing. Gracie looked happy skating to that crazy music. In 2015 they gave her a strange POTO long that even shee admitted she didn't get. Was turning Gracie into an ice princess part of her collapse?

Vagabond

TSL posted 2013 broadcasts where they said, even then, that the Tchaikovsky, princess type was the opposite of who Gracie was(is). Remember Frank dumped her Gershwin short first thing. Gracie looked happy skating to that crazy music. In 2015 they gave her a strange POTO long that even shee admitted she didn't get. Was turning Gracie into an ice princess part of her collapse?
She has not said so, and I do not think it is helpful to speculate.

Tavi

I’m no expert, but I guess it depends on whether she viewed the changes as necessary because her “real self” was unacceptable?

TSL once spoke with Gracie’s old coach Alex Ourashiev, and he said that she has always been super competitive and a perfectionist. She has also had some turbulence in her family life. So...I think there are probably quite a lot of things that caused her to struggle.

Teamgracie

But he was with her at sectionals, unless the coaches I saw her with were not vincent? I’ll have to go find a pict of him. The guys she was with seemed on very good terms and she seemed really happy! Okay so the taller coach is coach pasha, I thought he was coach Vincent. Hmmm...this worries me a bit. Turbulence doesn’t seem like it would be good for her. Hope for the best.

Last edited:

sjs5572

Oh, I was wondering why Vincen't Instagram went private!

Teamgracie

Thanks, i figured out that was pasha. He is really tall in person! Someone said it could be that Vincent moved to California and not that she fired him? Who knows, I just hope it works out.

Not sure why it says deleted but I tried to include your post.

Sylvia

TBD
Mariah Bell interview
Apologies if it has already been posted
@Maofan7, that video had Russian subtitles added... the original video was uploaded by Golden Skate on Oct. 10 (and was posted in the previous U.S. Ladies thread :)):

Last edited:

haribobo

Why is summer so hot omg
The coaches with Gracie were Alex Zahradnicek and Pasha Filchenkov.

Re: ADD- its a real thing and not to be ridiculed. Good for Amber for figuring that out but its not really something we should spend a lot of time on here discussing anyway. She is having a great season and tackling her demons and that is awesome!

concorde

A coach told me years ago that for a skater to be good, they need to have a combination of OCD and ADD. Think about it - what other personality type has the energy/desire to practice a move hundreds of times to get it perfect.

No surprise that Gracie left Vincent. The reality is that most of the skaters Vincent showed on his Intragram were visiting skaters not his own. He is known to be a great jump coach (a speciality coach), not main coach.

Tavi

A coach told me years ago that for a skater to be good, they need to have a combination of OCD and ADD. Think about it - what other personality type has the energy/desire to practice a move hundreds of times to get it perfect.

No surprise that Gracie left Vincent. The reality is that most of the skaters Vincent showed on his Intragram were visiting skaters not his own. He is known to be a great jump coach (a speciality coach), not main coach.

Do you know anything about the two coaches she’s with now? Are they good? I gather they’ve been part of her team for awhile, so hopefully her training for nationals won’t be disrupted too much.

Sylvia

TBD
Pavel "Pasha" Filchenkov was a Russian ice dancer who finished his competitive career in 2015 with an American partner: https://www.ice-dance.com/site/hoptman-filchenkov-announce-retirement/

Alex Zahradnicek competed on the JGP for USA, was the 2011 U.S. Junior silver medalist, and represented France at the end of his career: http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00012280.htm

Yesterday Gracie coached in Missouri (where she started skating):
“I’m just really enjoying the process of skating again, kind of falling back in love with the sports I left on not so great terms with it,” Gold said. “So to come back to the sport that gave me everything and changed my life, and to be able to work with the younger generation and pass on, at least what I know ... I’m in this really cool spot right now.”

Dobre

I agree that Bradie & Mariah skated very well on the GP this season. They skated "within their own skins." Didn't seem to let the long odds phase them or allow those odds to push them over the edge when mistakes occurred. Instead moved past them and continued to do their best. It was nice to see, and both had very successful results.

ross_hy

Rough outings at NHK aside, I'm glad to see how the season is shaping up for the US ladies. Is it possible that Bradie & Mariah can both finish top 7 at Worlds (and get 3 spots for next year)? To me, a top 4 of Russians and Kihira is a pretty safe bet at this point. The Americans' competition seems to be Satoko, Kaori, and Young You (depending on if they're all in Montreal).

olympic

^I always enjoy a good handicap.

Remember there were only be 3 Russian ladies at Worlds, but unlike last year, there will not be a Samodurova to be beaten by U.S. skater(s). The 3 Russian ladies selected and Rika Kihira will definitely finish ahead of Bradie and Mariah. That leaves the U.S. ceiling at 5th place. I do believe Bradie can finish 5th in this field if she is perfect. She scored 218 (Yes. IMO, that was her correct highest score this season), and should get to 220 if she can avoid URs which is possible. She has skated like a machine all year (except for the LP at Warsaw Cup which was caused by a freak fall).

I think that the biggest threats to 5-8 or 6-7 for team USA are Young You and Kaori Sakamoto. I think if Kaori and Young You get it together they will be even w/ a clean Bradie but Young needs a clean 3A to do that, and I wouldn't say she is consistent enough. Without the 3A, I find her skating especially her LP to be quite blah. It seems that Satoko is reworking her technique and I don't think this is her year. If all things remain the same, I can see Bradie and Mariah beating Satoko this year.

A bigger question mark for me is Tursynbaeva. Remember the tweet deleted from her mom stating that she could barely bend over because of back pain? I wonder if she will even compete. There is also the question of where Eteri's attention is these days. But, IF she is healthy, she could beat Bradie or Mariah.

Other top 10 skaters are Eun-Soo Lim but she is not having a great season and I don't see her as a threat. I also don't see other non-Russian Euro ladies, Canadian or Chinese skaters in the mix

Last edited:

natsulian

List of Senior Ladies Competing At Nationals:
1. Starr Andrews
2. Maxine Marie Bautista
3. Mariah Bell
4. Karen Chen
5. Ting Cui
6. Alex Evans
7. Amber Glenn
8. Gracie Gold
9. Caitlin Ha
10. Hanna Harrell
11. Courtney Hicks
12. Rena Ikenishi
13. Gabriella Izzo
14. Sarah Jung
15. Alysa Liu
16. Emilia Murdock
17. Alyssa Rich
18. Paige Rydberg
19. Bradie Tennell
20. Sierra Venetta
21. Emily Zhang

Megan Wessenberg is not on the list. Wessenberg, despite having competed in two Challenger events and one Grand Prix, has not surpassed the minimum TES required to compete at Nationals.

List of Junior Ladies Competing At Nationals:
1. Lara Annunziata
2. Elsa Cheng
3. Calista Choi
4. Hazel Collier
5. Mia Eckels
6. Hannah Herrera
7. Tamnhi Huynh
8. Isabelle Inthisone
9. Mia Kalin
10. Michelle Lee
11. Isabeau Levito