U.S. Ladies [#26]: Bell, Boots, and Camel

Status
Not open for further replies.

TanithandBenFan

Author of the Ice and Edge Series
I've posted a link to Misha Ge's IG ( https://www.instagram.com/p/BxI6i-KBsoD/ ) about Hanna's SP music in the Programs/Choreographers thread.

I don't see a song sung by Piaf to "Tanguera"? Perhaps it's a blend of a Piaf song with a piece named "Tanguera"? For example, Mariano Mores was an Argentine tango composer and is credited with a "Tanguera" piece.

Hanna just posted a clip:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BxI-064lp_x/?igshid=1ddyvse4a13k9

Did Stepanova/Bukin use this music recently or am I dreaming that?

KaitlynB123

Banned Member
I heard Ting Cui's dad gets pretty involved with her programs, and he's not EVEN a skating coach.
Nathan Chen's mom got involved with Nathan's SP at the 2018 Olympics, and look what happened.
Surya Bonaly's mom became her coach, and she was another one who didn't know anything about skating. Madame Bonaly used to coach Surya during interviews as well. Surya could have benefited from better coaching later in her career.

Umm, Tessa Hong? Common knowledge was that her parents were extremely driven to make her an extremely driven young woman. If you don't make it to the Olympics by 16, sorry, we want you in Yale and on your way to your MD or PhD. No more skating for you!!! You really can't enjoy your skating unless you are winning. A very sad case. Not really, though. What Uni is she at now? MIT?

layman

I heard Ting Cui's dad gets pretty involved with her programs, and he's not EVEN a skating coach.
Nathan Chen's mom got involved with Nathan's SP at the 2018 Olympics, and look what happened.
Surya Bonaly's mom became her coach, and she was another one who didn't know anything about skating. Madame Bonaly used to coach Surya during interviews as well. Surya could have benefited from better coaching later in her career.
Don't leave out Danny Kwan or Heidi Biellmann, who coached her daughter Denise Beillmann.

BTW, Surya took from Frank Carroll and Tatiana Tarasova later in her career...coaching does not get much better than that. Guess who paid for those lessons? None other than Madame Suzanne Bonaly herself. She's always made out to be a villain but she encouraged Surya to work with other coaches (and supported the effort).

Sylvia

TBD
There was an article published before Alysa Liu won the 2018 Junior title that mentioned "Lipetsky, as the daughter of Russian immigrants who had to scrape by to pay for a career that included coaching from the renowned Frank Carroll and 1976 Olympian Wendy Burge Dickinson..." and someone posted in a previous U.S. Ladies thread that Lipetsky also was coached by Christy Ness in Oakland at some point.

ETA:

For anyone living near Columbus, Ohio, Alysa is one of the headliners of the "Skate It Forward" benefit show on June 22nd: https://www.instagram.com/p/BuZHnxyHBQB/

Last edited:

KaitlynB123

Banned Member
Thanks for letting me know that. I just saw the pieces on YouTube where Madame Bonaly was calling the shots of everything. Suz must have been loaded. She kinda dressed not-so-awesome. Surya to me is fabulous though.

Don't leave out Danny Kwan or Heidi Biellmann, who coached her daughter Denise Beillmann.

BTW, Surya took from Frank Carroll and Tatiana Tarasova later in her career...coaching does not get much better than that. Guess who paid for those lessons? None other than Madame Suzanne Bonaly herself. She's always made out to be a villain but she encouraged Surya to work with other coaches (and supported the effort).

layman

Thanks for letting me know that. I just saw the pieces on YouTube where Madame Bonaly was calling the shots of everything. Suz must have been loaded. She kinda dressed not-so-awesome. Surya to me is fabulous though.
She did call the shots.

natsulian

Of the upcoming top juniors, who has the best technique? From what I’ve seen, heard, and read, Hanna and Ting are pretty on par in terms of jumps, but Ting has better flow, strokes, and skating skills. Alysa also has decent technique, but not the kind that can withstand a huge growth spurt because she relies on rotational speed, thrusting her body, and does not have a lot of height or distance. Also, ironically, her 2A is probably one of her less impressive jumps. Hanna’s jumps are huge, the most sound, and she might be as consistent as Alysa. Hanna needs to work on speed, skating skills, and stamina. As for Ting, she has the most inconsistent but beautiful jumps due to the tight air position, landing, and speed. I can’t wait to see how they improve with all girls hoping to add Quads next season.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
As a high performing athlete and an immensely intelligent and thoughtful young lady, I do not believe Pooja would throw away years worth of sweat, blood, and tears and tens of thousands of dollars to go off to college when her international career has not even taken off yet. Individuals of Pooja's calibre don't simply hang up their skates because of one or two bad outings, they pull through with grit and determination and see to it that their dreams become reality. If every Olympic-gunning athlete called it quits at 16, oh how different the world we live in would be.

However, I do see your point and hope that she does not quit because she has so much untapped potential. I hope that she stays with figure skating and that all her hard work pays off. Let's wait for an official announcement before writing her off, we've done too much of that this season. Remember when many, including me, wrote off Ting as a head case and she snatched the Bronze at Junior Worlds? Remember when people wrote off Hanna after a less than preferred performance at her Junior Grand Prix, but came back as a Pewter medalist at Nationals and a Top 10 finish at Junior Worlds (still annoyed that she did not go past 180)? We just have to wait and see.
I'm pretty confident her parents aren't interested in a long term figure skating career and that she will be going to college within the next couple of years.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
Hanna Harrell announces her Short Program choreographed by Misha. She will be skating to "Tanguera" by Edith Piaf.

Tango???? Noooooooo!!!!! One of the selections on my list of no-no’s. Now all I need to make my no-no playlist complete would be a Blues for Klook.

Sylvia

TBD
Hanna just posted a clip:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BxI-064lp_x/?igshid=1ddyvse4a13k9

Did Stepanova/Bukin use this music recently or am I dreaming that?
You are correct! :respec: Thanks to your heads up I looked up their ISU bio and "Carmen's Story performed by Edith Piaf" is listed as their 3rd piece (RD) this past season - S/B's RD music (after midline step seq.) matches Hanna's clip.

ETA:

Nagasu confirmed to NBC's Olympic Talk (linked above in post #283) that her hip surgery was in September. An excerpt:
“Loop, flip and Lutz were my best jumps and right now, Sal and toe are my best jumps,” Nagasu said. “I very much dislike that. I’m a creature of habit. I’m just trying to get back into my habitat.

... I think I wanna come back for myself. I want my elements back. Maybe I’ll pull a Daisuke Takahashi. Who knows?”

Last edited:

natsulian

Hanna seems to like the tango and showgirl pieces a lot. Based on her previous selections, I wasn’t surprised when they announced her new Short... maybe a little peeved. I’m hoping for a different piece of music for the Free to contrast her Short.

In other news, Jump on It is starting tomorrow and hopefully we’ll get some videos.

Sylvia

TBD
Ashley shared via her IG story today that she will be interviewing Mirai and Vincent Z. tomorrow (Thursday, May 9th at 7:30 pm Mountain time) for the opening of the jump camp - I can post a link to USFS' FB page when it's available. The actual camp/instruction takes place on Friday and Saturday.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information