aftershocks

Banned Member
The new thread title is perfect! This also makes sense:

Bell, Boot, Calumny

but I'd rather see for next season:
Bell, Boot, Consistency

Sylvia

TBD
Isabelle Inthisone performed very well today (too bad the FS event video got taken down afterwards) - she skated her "I Dreamed A Dream" Nationals FS with modified jumps due to the ISU Novice international rules. All of her jumps were landed with flow except for the 3Lo that was called underrotated (her free leg was "stuck" in front briefly upon landing before she was able to push it back). She will turn 15 in May.
Five U.S. ladies are competing at Egna Spring Trophy in Italy, March 28-31, 2019 - competition thread in Kiss & Cry: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/threads/2019-egna-spring-trophy-mar-28-31-egna-ita.105400/

Senior: Starr Andrews, Gabriella Izzo (her senior international debut) - competing Sat.-Sun.
Junior: Audrey Shin (J2 at Nationals), Calista Choi (N1, her international debut) - SP is Fri.
Adv. Novice: Isabelle Inthisone (N3, her international debut) - she is in 3rd place after today's SP. She skated to her Nationals SP music of "Not About Angels" by Birdy and her jumps were 3F step out, 3Lo+2T small step back, 2A.

Denise Myers, who coaches Bradie Tennell in Chicago, is in Italy with Choi and Inthisone.
ETA:

2019 Novice champion Calista Choi just made her international debut and is currently in 2nd place (52.04) in Junior Ladies SP with 3 more groups to go. She landed a 3Lz+2T (good height) and fell on 3F before landing her 2A. She kept her Novice SP music from Nationals (Danza Mora Vocal with Lecuona's Malaguena melody included).

Last edited:

natsulian

Congrats to her! Is this her first international competition?
This is Isabelle’s international debut. Calista Choi (international debut) just performed as a Junior, but fell on her second jump. Choi recollected herself for a beautiful 2A. She could possibly learn a 3A seeing as how great her 2A is. However, an interesting thing to note is that a lot of the kids under Tennell’s coach do not have very fast rotational speeds.

vesperholly

Sorry, poor choice of words. Bradie could probably win a silver or gold at Skate America, and maybe a bronze at another event.
Maybe, but I wouldn't put money on it. She barely managed a bronze in a weak field in France this season. And all those Russian junior babies are moving into senior.

I hope Bradie works on her PCS even more this off season. She made a lot of improvements from 17-18 to 18-19.

natsulian

Maybe, but I wouldn't put money on it. She barely managed a bronze in a weak field in France this season. And all those Russian junior babies are moving into senior.

I hope Bradie works on her PCS even more this off season. She made a lot of improvements from 17-18 to 18-19.
That was when Bradie included the 3Lz-3Lo in the Short and Free which were consistently called under-rotated. If Bradie stays consistent next season, adds in the 3Lz-3Lo for the Free only, and works on her under-rotations and PCS, she could very well score in the 215-220 range. This season was a wake-up call in terms of under-rotations and Bradie showed that she has the goods to score above 142 in the Free if she keeps the under-rotations to a minimum. Of course, the 3A are moving up and the Japanese ladies will only get stronger, so it’s a stretch at this point.

As for Mariah, if she increases her technical content and manages to stay consistent and clean, she’ll probably score in the 210-215 range which will not be competitive enough against the Russians or Japanese. Ting’s the big outlier because once she discovers her consistency, the judges will begin to reward her, it’s only a matter of time. Ting could score above 200+, but the big testament will be consistency and the Quad. Then we have the middling group such as Ashley, Starr, Megan, and Amber. All four girls can score 180+, and have in the past (barring Megan), but their big tests will also be consistency and keeping up while the technical envelope is being pushed.

Our up and coming juniors are poised to make considerable splashes internationally, especially Alysa and Hanna (who is probably going to stay as a junior). Hanna can score in the 180-190 range whilst Alysa is still unknown. Then there are the other question marks such as Lindsay, Calista, and a few more who could score decently. They’re the ones attempting the triple-Axels and Quads, so we’ll see how they fare. The main hurdle will be under-rotations, consistency, and growing up.

aftershocks

Banned Member

I think Jenny Kirk made some valid observations recently about Bradie, though I don't always agree with the snarkier OTT critiques on that podcast. But in this instance, the suggestions seem more thoughtful and constructive. I agree that we need to see the real Bradie, and that Bradie needs to be allowed to have more input in her music choices. As suggested, perhaps working with Lori Nichol might be an option. I would also suggest exploring someone outside-the-box, like Katherine Hill, who has worked with Jordan Moeller and Max Aaron. Hill has studied movement and performance, so she might bring something interesting to Bradie's exploration of her identity. And as Jenny said, change things up and maybe have Bradie wear a pants outfit. That might work with a jazz or Broadway style genre. Or something like Bohemian Dances from Funny Face: https://youtu.be/7FznWwWrOIQ?t=194 Or something more contemporary and outside-the-box.

For a fp, Bradie might explore little used classical possibilities like Balanchine's La Sonambula (originally an opera composed by Vincenzo Bellini), Concerto Barocco (Bach's Concerto in D minor for Two Violins), or Ballo Della Regina (music by Verdi):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LpmL_NeiAU La Sonambula with Alessandra Ferri & Mikhail B
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGcUVGO75F0 snip of Concerto Barocco with Adams & LeClercq
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vq2bPsw9Ubo Merrill Ashley in Mr. B's Ballo della Regina (Merrill's solo starting at 7:24 is iconic)

After Bradie came so quickly and fiercely out of the starting gate at Autumn Classic last year, I think attempts were made to over-do her look. Her original costume for her sp was minimalist and it worked much better. If they were going to change the costume, they needed to keep it simple, NOT bling it up. By blinging it up with sparkles, an overwrought design, and an overly loud color that didn't enhance Bradie's skin tone, they seriously detracted from the mood of the music and the choreo. That sp never again had the resonance and impact it had in it's debut. I wish Bradie could also work with someone on finding different and better makeup techniques that are more subtle that might enhance her best features.

natsulian

Congrats to Calista Choi on winning her very first international gold medal as a junior at the Egna Spring Trophy. This is Choi’s international debut as well.

Calista CHOI (Free)
• 2A
• 3Lz-2T
• 3Lo
• 3Lz
• 3T-Eu-2F
• 3S-2T
• 3T <
• Level 4 spins and steps
• Highest PCS in the event

Free Score: 107.64 (57.91+49.73)
Total Competition Score: 159.68

Audrey Shin placed a disappointing 4th. Hopefully she improves during the off-season.

Audrey SHIN (Free)
• 2A
• 3Lz-3T <
• 3S
• 2A <<
• 3F !
• 1Lz
• 3Lo<-2T-2Lo<
• Level 4 spins and Level 3 steps

Free Score: 90.84 (43.25+47.59)
Total Competition Score: 144.94

Sylvia

TBD
Full Junior Ladies results/protocols link are posted in the Egna Spring Trophy competition thread in Kiss & Cry (now open to all): https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/th...rophy-mar-28-31-egna-ita.105400/#post-5568131

As of now, Calista Choi's "Ladies in Lavender" FS (same music as Nationals) can be watched starting here: [never mind, oh well :(]

ETA link to the Egna Spring Trophy Senior Ladies SP links posted in Kiss & Cry (Gabriella Izzo makes her senior international debut today skating in group 3 and Starr Andrews skates in group 4): https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/th...rophy-mar-28-31-egna-ita.105400/#post-5568202

Last edited:

natsulian

Andrews has improved quite considerably compared to her debut during the beginning of the season. Now let's work on the 3Lz, under-rotations, and harder combos.

Sylvia

TBD
Copying over @her grace's post from the WTT thread to here:
Andrews has been very busy competing this season. She had 6 international assignments in total: 2CS, 2GP and 2 spring Sr. B. It seems that USFS is definitely interested in sending skaters to a lot more competitions than in the past.

Other ladies with 3 or more internationals
Tennell has had 6 with [WTT] still to come: 2 CS, 2 GP, 4CC, and Worlds.
Bell has had 6 with [WTT] still to come: 2 CS, 2 GP, 4CC, and Worlds.
Cui had 5: 2 JGP, 1 CS, 4CC and Jr. Worlds.
Izzo had 4: 1 Jr. B, 2 JGP, and 1 Spring Sr. B.
Wang had 3: 1 CS, 2 GP.
Wessenberg had 3: 2 CS, 1 GP.
Lin had 3: 1 Jr. B, 2 CS.
For next season, Tennell and Bell have each earned 2 GP assignments based on their world placements. Cui (SB 19) is guaranteed 1 based on top 24 SB. No additional Americans are in the top 24 WS or 24 SB. :scream:

Eligible to be selected for GP based on being in the top 75 SB

-Lin (SB 38). I would really like to see her get a GP spot. She was having a great season until she got injured before nationals, and she's the highest-ranked American lady who is not guaranteed anything.
-Hicks (SB 44). I don't see USFS lobbying for her after another dismal nationals showing.
-Harrell (SB 46). Maybe back to JGP?
-Andrews (SB 51) on the bubble
-Wessenberg (SB 59) on the bubble
-Glenn (SB 63) probably too low to be selected unless host pick
-Wang (SB 75) definitely too low to be selected unless host pick and she's probably in the same boat as Hicks. USFS is ready to move on.

Kalyan (SB 78) and Izzo (SB 79) are just out of the zone for eligibility for selection and could be chosen as a SA host pick if summer monitoring goes exceptionally well.

natsulian

I can't wait to see how our ladies fare next season. This season was about rebuilding and restructuring, so hopefully we can continue on that path towards 2022 Beijing and beyond.

B. Tennell - Definitely 2 GP, 2 CS, and maybe 4CC and Worlds
M. Bell - Definitely 2 GP, maybe 2 CS, and big maybe for 4CC and Worlds
T. Cui - 2 CS, 1 or 2 GP, Senior B's, and slight maybe for 4CC and Worlds
H. Harrell - 2 JGP, maybe 1 CS like Cui this season to get her senior minimums, and Junior Worlds
A. Liu - 2 JGP (and hopefully a JGP Final) and Junior Worlds (Youth Olympics later on?)
P. Kalyan - CS and host spots?
M. Wessenberg - CS and host spots?
S. Andrews - 1 or 2 CS, 1 or 2 GP, and Senior B's

Juniors and novices moving up who might get JGP spots as well: Lindsay Thorngren, Calista Choi (my wild card for Junior Worlds), Emilia Murdock, Sarah Jung (please let her land that 3A), Audrey Shin (big question mark), Kate Wang, and Aubrey Ignacio.

Last edited:

Debbie S

Kalyan (3 more seasons) and Izzo (2 more seasons) are still JGP-eligible, so I would expect them to compete on the JGP. They could each get a CS to get the Senior score mins. If Glenn, Wang, and Hicks skate well at summer comps, they could be in the running for a CS and possibly the SA spot. Same with Wessenberg. I would expect Ting to get 2 GPs, assuming she moves up (hasn't yet decided) - her SB is 19th and in the past, most skaters in that range have gotten 2 GPs.

It will be interesting to see what USFS does with its host assignments in the initial draw. It wouldn't surprise me if they left 2 spots TBA with the possibility of giving them to Karen and Gracie, provided they monitor well over the summer.

Sylvia

TBD
2019 U.S. Junior Ladies bronze medalist Emilia Murdock, 16, and Indi Cha, 15 (5th in Novice Ladies at Nationals) started a joint YT channel last October - here's Milly's Feb. 2019 Bavarian Open vlog about her trip to Oberstdorf, Germany where she won the Junior II silver medal: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OyRz9WOKuJQ

Last edited:

natsulian

Alysa Liu was at the San Francisco Skating Gala and landed a 4Lz, but it was under-rotated. Alysa said that she only started working on the 4Lz a few months prior to Nationals. However, her team decided to stop working on it during the months leading up to Nationals to focus on clean programs and solid preparations. Thus, this is probably the product of a few weeks of training.

Video - https://www.instagram.com/p/BvqSVtXHzbl/

natsulian

Also, Kate Wang was a PERFORMER at the Gala. I think she’s either 13 or 14, and she’s landed clean 3Lz-3T and 3Lz-3Lo and her 2A is really good. Definitely a dark horse next season. I really hope they get her a consistent 3Lz-3T and consistency because she’s such a joy to watch.

Video of her doing all her triple jumps:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BvVBd5wHx4rECrQQuQsyLxzda55_AhCwp9vtlY0/

Jammers

Alysa Liu was at the San Francisco Skating Gala and landed a 4Lz, but it was under-rotated. Alysa said that she only started working on the 4Lz a few months prior to Nationals. However, her team decided to stop working on it during the months leading up to Nationals to focus on clean programs and solid preparations. Thus, this is probably the product of a few weeks of training.

Video - https://www.instagram.com/p/BvqSVtXHzbl/
I won't put it past this girl to land a clean quad in the near future. She's fearless which is something that's been lacking with US Ladies for way to long. I think she may do for the US ladies what Nathan has done for the men and that's to push themselves harder then maybe they would have if Nathan hadn't come around.

natsulian

I won't put it past this girl to land a clean quad in the near future. She's fearless which is something that's been lacking with US Ladies for way to long. I think she may do for the US ladies what Nathan has done for the men and that's to push themselves harder then maybe they would have if Nathan hadn't come around.
It’s crazy how she landed a nearly clean 4Lz after less than a month after nationals. She’s probably go for a 4Lz, 4T, 2 3A layout in the Free.

Sylvia

TBD
Thanks for posting her Junior FS at Egna ("Ladies in Lavender" was her Novice FS music at Nationals). 3Lo seems to be a consistent jump for her and the Junior SP required solo jump from steps next season is double or triple loop.
Also, Kate Wang was a PERFORMER at the Gala.
I saw an IG story clip from last night's SC of San Francisco gala and I believe her "Gonna Make You Sweat (Everybody Dance Now)" program is her Junior SP for this coming season.
I think she’s either 13 or 14, and she’s landed clean 3Lz-3T and 3Lz-3Lo and her 2A is really good. Definitely a dark horse next season. I really hope they get her a consistent 3Lz-3T and consistency because she’s such a joy to watch.

Video of her doing all her triple jumps: <link snipped>
Kate Wang's Instagram is set to private (only current followers can see the video); she turns 14 today. :) She had a disappointing Nationals (10th in Novice) but USFS already sent her out to a novice international last fall (Golden Bear in Zagreb where she won bronze) so they obviously recognize her jump potential.

natsulian

Calista seems to struggle with the 3S and 3F. Coincidentally or maybe not, Bradie also struggles with those two. Her other triples, especially the Lutz and Loop, are quite good and the flow on the 2A in and out of the jump is really good for her age. I really want her to train a 3A.

Sylvia

TBD
Gabriella Izzo won the gold in her senior international debut at Egna Spring Trophy earlier today. :) She scored 182.00 total and 120.55 in the FS (Edith Piaf medley performed by Patricia Kaas from this season). She was credited with landing 5 of 6 triples cleanly: 3Lz+2T, 2A+1Eu+3S< 3Lz, 3F, 3Lo, 3F+2T, 2A. It's great that she was able to exceed the TES minimums (33 / 64) for 2019 Worlds (29 / 49) in her first attempt.

Starr Andrews won her second silver medal post-Nationals but with a much lower score than Challenge Cup in February (187.69 total in The Hague) -- 170.79 total, only 105.96 in her 2nd place FS. Six senior internationals spanning from early August to April makes for a very long first (full) senior season. She receives 225 ISU WS points for Egna, which replaces the 198 points from her 5th place finish at CS Asian Open Trophy last August.

natsulian

I thought it was clean, very fastlly rotated and she could not hold the landing it was so swift.. :shuffle: not insisting, but that was my impression.
A lot of people said it was under-rotated, but it looked clean to me. There was also a video of her 3A and her rotations have gotten insanely fast. I hope she works with Orser again during the off season.

Also, possible layout for Alysa next season not in order of execution:

Short Program - Base Value at 31.40 +/- points depending on levels
  • 3Lz-3T, 2A, 3Lo
Long Program - Base Value at 81.90 +/- points depending on levels
  • 3A-3T (3A-2T), 3Lz-3T, 3F-Eu-3S, 4Lz, 4T, 3A, 3Lo

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information