2019 ISU World Team Trophy, April 11-14, in Fukuoka, Japan

RoseRed

Go USA and Japan for a lady captain. The rest looks like what we call a “manel” in the think-tank advocacy world. :rolleyes:
Oh come on :rolleyes:. It's literally 2:4. That's a meaningless sample. And it's literally an almost meaningless role anyways.

For your information, at the last WTT in 2017 Kaitlyn Weaver was captain for team Canada, Ashley Wagner was for team USA, and Ekaterina Bobrova was for Russia (according to the WTT 2017 thread on GS).

Enchanted

For the French team James and Papadakis have been team captains in earlier years. I was hoping Cizeron would be the captain this time but well maybe next time.

MsZem

I see the sea
For the French team James and Papadakis have been team captains in earlier years. I was hoping Cizeron would be the captain this time but well maybe next time.
And Pechalat was captain one year, too. Given that this is the sixth WTT, that's at least 50% of the French team captains being women (I'm not sure if there were captains in 2009).

Cipres is repeating as captain. Maybe Cizeron just doesn't feel like doing it.

Looking forward to seeing what everyone does to win team spirit :)

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Considering Ting was the first alternate for Worlds, I think it was Ting who probably declined an offer. She’s had a crazy season and needs the rest... but her idea of rest is training Quads so... xD

Alternate? I thought she was the third eligible (age wise) to make the US team?

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
For the World Championships in Saitama, Ting Cui was 1st Alternate followed by Megan Wessenberg and Starr Andrews.

The top 5 at the US nationals were

Liu
Tennell
Bell
Harrell
Cui

Liu and Harrell were not age eligible for senior worlds. So the team was Tennell, Bell.

I didn’t realize that the US had only two spots, so I assumed that Cui got on the senior world team as the third member, but she did not. She went to junior worlds and won the bronze there.

Last edited:

Debbie S

Alternate? I thought she was the third eligible (age wise) to make the US team?
Yes, Ting was the 3rd eligible lady for the World team. Since we had 2 spots, Bradie and Mariah were named to the team and Ting was 1st alternate, meaning that if either Bradie or Mariah had been unable to compete, Ting would have been named to the team.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Yes, Ting was the 3rd eligible lady for the World team. Since we had 2 spots, Bradie and Mariah were named to the team and Ting was 1st alternate, meaning that if either Bradie or Mariah had been unable to compete, Ting would have been named to the team.

Didn’t you read my post that is just above yours?

Sylvia

TBD
It was mentioned earlier in this thread that Starr Andrews is the next highest U.S. lady in the ISU World Standings (of those who competed at Nationals). World Team Trophy selection has taken this into account in the past.

Another possible reason Andrews was selected to be the WTT alternate is that she is currently competing in Italy right now whereas Ting Cui may be in "off season" mode and back home in Maryland.
I didn’t realize that the US had only two spots, so I assumed that Cui got on the senior world team as the third member, but she did not. She went to junior worlds and won the bronze there.
Cui also competed at Four Continents (before Junior Worlds) and placed 11th in Anaheim.

her grace

Team Guignard/Fabbri
Andrews has been very busy competing this season. She had 6 international assignments in total: 2CS, 2GP and 2 spring Sr. B. It seems that USFS is definitely interested in sending skaters to a lot more competitions than in the past.

Other ladies with 3 or more internationals
Tennell has had 6 with Japan Open still to come: 2 CS, 2 GP, 4CC, and Worlds.
Bell has had 6 with Japan Open still to come: 2 CS, 2 GP, 4CC, and Worlds.
Cui had 5: 2 JGP, 1 CS, 4CC and Jr. Worlds.
Izzo had 4: 1 Jr. B, 2 JGP, and 1 Spring Sr. B.
Wang had 3: 1 CS, 2 GP.
Wessenberg had 3: 2 CS, 1 GP.
Lin had 3: 1 Jr. B, 2 CS.

For next season, Tennell and Bell have each earned 2 GP assignments based on their world placements. Cui (SB 19) is guaranteed 1 based on top 24 SB. No additional Americans are in the top 24 WS or 24 SB. :scream:

Eligible to be selected for GP based on being in the top 75 SB

-Lin (SB 38). I would really like to see her get a GP spot. She was having a great season until she got injured before nationals, and she's the highest-ranked American lady who is not guaranteed anything.
-Hicks (SB 44). I don't see USFS lobbying for her after another dismal nationals showing.
-Harrell (SB 46). Maybe back to JGP?
-Andrews (SB 51) on the bubble
-Wessenberg (SB 59) on the bubble
-Glenn (SB 63) probably too low to be selected unless host pick
-Wang (SB 75) definitely too low to be selected unless host pick and she's probably in the same boat as Hicks. USFS is ready to move on.

Kalyan (SB 78) and Izzo (SB 79) are just out of the zone for eligibility for selection and could be chosen as a SA host pick if summer monitoring goes exceptionally well.

Sylvia

TBD
Last edited:

carriecmu0503

Andrews has been very busy competing this season. She had 6 international assignments in total: 2CS, 2GP and 2 spring Sr. B. It seems that USFS is definitely interested in sending skaters to a lot more competitions than in the past.

Other ladies with 3 or more internationals
Tennell has had 6 with Japan Open still to come: 2 CS, 2 GP, 4CC, and Worlds.
Bell has had 6 with Japan Open still to come: 2 CS, 2 GP, 4CC, and Worlds.
Cui had 5: 2 JGP, 1 CS, 4CC and Jr. Worlds.
Izzo had 4: 1 Jr. B, 2 JGP, and 1 Spring Sr. B.
Wang had 3: 1 CS, 2 GP.
Wessenberg had 3: 2 CS, 1 GP.
Lin had 3: 1 Jr. B, 2 CS.

For next season, Tennell and Bell have each earned 2 GP assignments based on their world placements. Cui (SB 19) is guaranteed 1 based on top 24 SB. No additional Americans are in the top 24 WS or 24 SB. :scream:

Eligible to be selected for GP based on being in the top 75 SB

-Lin (SB 38). I would really like to see her get a GP spot. She was having a great season until she got injured before nationals, and she's the highest-ranked American lady who is not guaranteed anything.
-Hicks (SB 44). I don't see USFS lobbying for her after another dismal nationals showing.
-Harrell (SB 46). Maybe back to JGP?
-Andrews (SB 51) on the bubble
-Wessenberg (SB 59) on the bubble
-Glenn (SB 63) probably too low to be selected unless host pick
-Wang (SB 75) definitely too low to be selected unless host pick and she's probably in the same boat as Hicks. USFS is ready to move on.

Kalyan (SB 78) and Izzo (SB 79) are just out of the zone for eligibility for selection and could be chosen as a SA host pick if summer monitoring goes exceptionally well.

Japan Open took place last October, it is not still to come. That event always takes place in the fall.

Marco

Really USFSA? Starr over Ting as an alternate? I would think a Junior world medal and higher placement at Nationals would put Ting over Andrews not even counting a Senior B silver in her first senior competition. :confused:

Cui Ting has been training the junior version of Giselle for JGPs, and then the senior version for Nationals and 4CCs, and then back to the junior version for Jr Worlds. It's insane if she were to pick up the senior version again. I don't think the difference is too drastic but different people may need different time to adopt.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
bump

I don't want WTT to disappear among the myriad threads on the first page. It is getting really close (( days?)

Are we going to have a prediction contest for this?

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
There must not be a rule. Jason’s world standing is higher than Vincent’s, though not by much. Vincent’s recent results have been better.
There is a rule: I quoted it on Page 2. Brown should have gone according to it.

The Feds adhere to it loosely, and the ISU has not used the nuclear option and kicked out the team, which is the published sanction.

sk9tingfan

Yes, poor guy. He is in hospital again. Hopefully now that this tough season is over for him he has enough time to get really healthy.

For him to be hospitalized with sinusitis, this has got to be some extreme case. Sounds like he might need some IVIG to bolster his immunity.

Clay

Who is the coach? Everywhere! Everybodeee!
Yes, poor guy. He is in hospital again. Hopefully now that this tough season is over for him he has enough time to get really healthy.

As someone that has struggled with this, I can assure you all that it makes multi-rotational jumps very challenging. Spins never feel right and there’s no confidence in muscle memory.
Among other feelings, it feels dizzy and like drowning , even when just walking. Breathing takes more work, too.

kittyjake5

As someone that has struggled with this, I can assure you all that it makes multi-rotational jumps very challenging. Spins never feel right and there’s no confidence in muscle memory.
Among other feelings, it feels dizzy and like drowning , even when just walking. Breathing takes more work, too.

Oh my that sound awful. Is it similar to vertigo? I have had vertigo in the past but this sounds much worse.

Clay

Who is the coach? Everywhere! Everybodeee!
Oh my that sound awful. Is it similar to vertigo? I have had vertigo in the past but this sounds much worse.

At it’s worst, yes. Very temporary. At its least, you have the impression that you’re back over your right side a little too much, but that’s due to head pressure. If there’s any blockage that can not be treated with steroids, the respiratory and cardiac system reacts. Then, its not even safe to skate for long durations. Surgery is possible, but symptoms can return. Finding causes is difficult. Consistency is at stake.

Tinami Amori

For him to be hospitalized with sinusitis, this has got to be some extreme case. Sounds like he might need some IVIG to bolster his immunity.
Feel bad for Kolyada, i was under the impression that he did not complete his first treatment process and was not fully recovered before he went on to RN. Glad he is returning for treatment, but too bad he'll lose the money he could have earned from participation. Better season hopefully next year.

Tavi

There is a rule: I quoted it on Page 2. Brown should have gone according to it.

The Feds adhere to it loosely, and the ISU has not used the nuclear option and kicked out the team, which is the published sanction.

Maybe I’m missing something?

The statement you quoted obligates Members (the Feds) to “give Priority under Rule 136” to ISU events, which apparently means they must “commit[] to send their teams” to WTT.

It then states that the Member’s team may be excluded “if one of the best-ranked Skaters/Couples...elects not to participate...”. “Best-ranked” in this context means with the highest World Standing.

Rule 136 itself states that with respect to skaters who place in the top ten at Worlds, Members “shall have the obligation...to give first priority to participation of those skaters” in ISU events, and that they may be sanctioned for failure to do so.

The way I understand this, if a Member has two or more male skaters ranked in the top ten at Worlds, they are required to assign two of them to the team; if the one with the highest World Standing opts out without good reason, sanctions may be imposed. I don’t see anything that says the Member has to assign the two skaters with the highest World Standing OR the two who placed highest at Worlds. :confused:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information