2019 ISU World Team Trophy, April 11-14, in Fukuoka, Japan

Tavi

Is there any rule in this that it has to go by world standings or are the feds. free to pick whoever they choose among age eligible skaters? Starr may be the next highest in terms of the World Standings but that can be very deceptive. Like tennis it doesn't always indicate who's really the best and such.

And besides with the USFSA going on about wanting the strongest team possible, and turning nationals upside down with the "body of work" stuff in the process, you would think they would have looked more closely. Ting Cui has been far stronger then Starr has been this season, especially in the second half. I know it was only the alternate spot but they should have given it to her regardless of world standings. They really are pushing Starr hard and the results just aren't there this season.

There must not be a rule. Jason’s world standing is higher than Vincent’s, though not by much. Vincent’s recent results have been better.

Dobre

They know Ting has been stronger than Starr this season. Both girls went to the same Junior Worlds selection camp, and they selected Ting & Hannah. Plus, everyone knows who finished where at Nationals.

katmari

Is there any rule in this that it has to go by world standings or are the feds. free to pick whoever they choose among age eligible skaters? Starr may be the next highest in terms of the World Standings but that can be very deceptive. Like tennis it doesn't always indicate who's really the best and such.

This quote is from page 4 of the announcement:
Furthermore, in case that one or more of the best ranked Skaters/Couples (in the ISU World Standings valid after the ISU World Figure Skating Championships 2019) of a Qualified ISU Member elects not to participate, the ISU reserves the right to exclude such team from the competition and to invite instead the Member/s whose team is ranked next in the ISU World Team Trophy qualification list.

In the case of Vincent vs Jason ... Jason is ranked slightly higher in the World Standings (3674 vs 3619) but Vincent is ranked higher in the Season's World Ranking (2015 vs 1666) and finished higher at Worlds (3rd vs 9th) so there's data to justify either choice.

JasperBoy

Stayin inside
Looking for a press release from Skate Canada about the team they are sending. Today is the deadline.
Does anyone have the info?

Debbie S

I had thought Nathan was planning to decline because of school?
The Hersh article before Worlds said he might do the WTT. Nathan is currently in Japan for SOI shows this weekend....I would think he'd return home first, before WTT, but that's a lot of travel. But based on the rules, I'm not sure he could turn it down...he is the highest ranked U.S. man and was top 10 at Worlds, and the way the rules are written, if he turned down the WTT, he wouldn't be allowed to skate in shows for a certain period of time before and after the event, and he's skating in SOI, so....

Carolla5501

And besides with the USFSA going on about wanting the strongest team possible, and turning nationals upside down with the "body of work" stuff in the process, you would think they would have looked more closely. Ting Cui has been far stronger then Starr has been this season, especially in the second half. I know it was only the alternate spot but they should have given it to her regardless of world standings. They really are pushing Starr hard and the results just aren't there this season.

Of course Cui has been training a Junior program

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
Is there any rule in this that it has to go by world standings or are the feds.
Yes, unless there are "medical or other justified reasons." Since no Feds have been sanctioned for sending someone who isn't the top-ranked (all disciplines) and next-ranked (singles), "I've got a show" and "I'm really tired" are justified reasons.

Members whose teams qualified for the ISU World Team Trophy have the obligation to give priority to ISU Events
under Rule 136, paragraph 6 and therefore are committed to send their teams to the competition.

In case that any Qualified Member cannot send its team to the competition for whatever reason, the ISU may invite
the Member whose team is ranked next in the ISU World Team Trophy qualification list.

Furthermore, in case that one or more of the best ranked Skaters/Couples (in the ISU World Standings valid after
the ISU World Figure Skating Championships 2019) of a Qualified ISU Member elects not to participate, the ISU
reserves the right to exclude such team from the competition and to invite instead the Member/s whose team is
ranked next in the ISU World Team Trophy qualification list.

Rule 136,

6. Priority Participation
ISU Members with Skaters who place within the first ten places at any ISU Championships and who continue in the following season to participate in Skating competitions and/or exhibitions as eligible Skaters, shall have the obligation, when entering or authorizing the participation of such Skaters in Skating competitions and/or exhibitions, to give first priority to participation of such Skaters in those ISU Events which are the subject of ISU television and commercial contracts as notified to ISU Members. ISU Members who fail to comply with the above obligation, and Skaters who refuse to participate in such ISU Events, without medical or other justified reasons, shall be subject to sanctions under the relevant Rules.

tennis it doesn't always indicate who's really the best and such.
If your WS is higher than someone else's, or you're unranked, like Shen/Zhao at the Vancouver Olympcis, and the starting order is in reverse WS order, or you're on the cusp of a starting group, it doesn't matter if you're better or worse than someone else, from your country or any other country.

Sylvia

TBD
Team Canada:
Keegan Messing, Nam Nguyen
Gabrielle Daleman, Alaine Chartrand
Kirsten Moore-Towers/Michael Marinaro
Kaitlyn Weaver/Andrew Poje

Team Italy:
Matteo Rizzo, Daniel Grassl
Marina Piredda, Roberta Rodeghiero
Nicole Della Monica/Matteo Guarise
Charlene Guignard/Marco Fabbri

Entries are published: http://www.isuresults.com/events/fsevent03111667.htm

Men
1 Keegan MESSING CAN 1
2 Nam NGUYEN CAN 1
Nicolas NADEAU CAN 1 S
Roman SADOVSKY CAN 1 S
3 Kevin AYMOZ FRA 2
4 Adam SIAO HIM FA FRA 2
5 Daniel GRASSL ITA 3
6 Matteo RIZZO ITA 3
Mattia DALLA TORRE ITA 3 S
Gabriele FRANGIPANI ITA 3 S
7 Keiji TANAKA JPN 4
8 Shoma UNO JPN 4
Koshiro SHIMADA JPN 4 S
Kazuki TOMONO JPN 4 S
9 Mikhail KOLYADA RUS 5
10 Alexander SAMARIN RUS 5
11 Nathan CHEN USA 6
12 Vincent ZHOU USA 6
Jason BROWN USA 6 S

Ladies
1 Alaine CHARTRAND CAN 1
2 Gabrielle DALEMAN CAN 1
Veronik MALLET CAN 1 S
Alicia PINEAULT CAN 1 S
3 Laurine LECAVELIER FRA 2
4 Mae Berenice MEITE FRA 2
5 Marina PIREDDA ITA 3
6 Roberta RODEGHIERO ITA 3
Lucrezia GENNARO ITA 3 S
7 Rika KIHIRA JPN 4
8 Kaori SAKAMOTO JPN 4
Mai MIHARA JPN 4 S
Satoko MIYAHARA JPN 4 S
9 Sofia SAMODUROVA RUS 5
10 Elizaveta TUKTAMYSHEVA RUS 5
11 Mariah BELL USA 6
12 Bradie TENNELL USA 6
Starr ANDREWS USA 6 S

Pairs
1 Kirsten MOORE-TOWERS / Michael MARINARO CAN 1
Evelyn WALSH / Trennt MICHAUD CAN 1 S
2 Vanessa JAMES / Morgan CIPRES FRA 2
3 Nicole DELLA MONICA / Matteo GUARISE ITA 3
Rebecca GHILARDI / Filippo AMBROSINI ITA 3 S
4 Riku MIURA / Shoya ICHIHASHI JPN 4
5 Natalia ZABIIAKO / Alexander ENBERT RUS 5
6 Ashley CAIN / Timothy LEDUC USA 6
Haven DENNEY / Brandon FRAZIER USA 6 S

Ice Dance
1 Kaitlyn WEAVER / Andrew POJE CAN 1
Laurence FOURNIER BEAUDRY / Nikolaj SORENSEN CAN 1 S
Piper GILLES / Paul POIRIER CAN 1 S
2 Gabriella PAPADAKIS / Guillaume CIZERON FRA 2
3 Charlene GUIGNARD / Marco FABBRI ITA 3
Jasmine TESSARI / Francesco FIORETTI ITA 3 S
4 Misato KOMATSUBARA / Tim KOLETO JPN 4
5 Victoria SINITSINA / Nikita KATSALAPOV RUS 5
6 Madison HUBBELL / Zachary DONOHUE USA 6
Madison CHOCK / Evan BATES USA 6 S

S - Substitute Entry

29.03.2019 09:01:22

ETA:

Team Captains (listed in order of country qualification): http://www.isuresults.com/events/wtt2019/wtt-19_teams.htm

Team Russia: Nikita KATSALAPOV
Team United States of America: Madison HUBBELL
Team Japan: Misato KOMATSUBARA
Team France: Morgan CIPRES
Team Italy Marco FABBRI
Team Canada: Andrew POJE

Last edited:
J

Jeschke

Leccardi got robbed :drama:
(So 🇮🇹 ignored additionally to Leccardi 4 higher ranked ladies in favour of Piredda; I had no clue her worlds outing was that convincing :shuffle:)

Last edited by a moderator:

MsZem

I see the sea
I just realized that Vanessa James will be the only skater at this event who competed in the first WTT 10 years ago. She's been in all of them except 2012 (when Popova/Massot were the French entry in pairs).

ETA: and I think that this will also be the first WTT without Chris Reed.

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
Team Canada:
Keegan Messing, Nam Nguyen
Gabrielle Daleman, Alaine Chartrand
Kirsten Moore-Towers/Michael Marinaro
Kaitlyn Weaver/Andrew Poje

Team Italy:
Matteo Rizzo, Daniel Grassl
Marina Piredda, Roberta Rodeghiero
Nicole Della Monica/Matteo Guarise
Charlene Guignard/Marco Fabbri

Entries are published: http://www.isuresults.com/events/fsevent03111667.htm

Men
1 Keegan MESSING CAN 1
2 Nam NGUYEN CAN 1
Nicolas NADEAU CAN 1 S
Roman SADOVSKY CAN 1 S
3 Kevin AYMOZ FRA 2
4 Adam SIAO HIM FA FRA 2
5 Daniel GRASSL ITA 3
6 Matteo RIZZO ITA 3
Mattia DALLA TORRE ITA 3 S
Gabriele FRANGIPANI ITA 3 S
7 Keiji TANAKA JPN 4
8 Shoma UNO JPN 4
Koshiro SHIMADA JPN 4 S
Kazuki TOMONO JPN 4 S
9 Mikhail KOLYADA RUS 5
10 Alexander SAMARIN RUS 5
11 Nathan CHEN USA 6
12 Vincent ZHOU USA 6
Jason BROWN USA 6 S

Ladies
1 Alaine CHARTRAND CAN 1
2 Gabrielle DALEMAN CAN 1
Veronik MALLET CAN 1 S
Alicia PINEAULT CAN 1 S
3 Laurine LECAVELIER FRA 2
4 Mae Berenice MEITE FRA 2
5 Marina PIREDDA ITA 3
6 Roberta RODEGHIERO ITA 3
Lucrezia GENNARO ITA 3 S
7 Rika KIHIRA JPN 4
8 Kaori SAKAMOTO JPN 4
Mai MIHARA JPN 4 S
Satoko MIYAHARA JPN 4 S
9 Sofia SAMODUROVA RUS 5
10 Elizaveta TUKTAMYSHEVA RUS 5
11 Mariah BELL USA 6
12 Bradie TENNELL USA 6
Starr ANDREWS USA 6 S

Pairs
1 Kirsten MOORE-TOWERS / Michael MARINARO CAN 1
Evelyn WALSH / Trennt MICHAUD CAN 1 S
2 Vanessa JAMES / Morgan CIPRES FRA 2
3 Nicole DELLA MONICA / Matteo GUARISE ITA 3
Rebecca GHILARDI / Filippo AMBROSINI ITA 3 S
4 Riku MIURA / Shoya ICHIHASHI JPN 4
5 Natalia ZABIIAKO / Alexander ENBERT RUS 5
6 Ashley CAIN / Timothy LEDUC USA 6
Haven DENNEY / Brandon FRAZIER USA 6 S

Ice Dance
1 Kaitlyn WEAVER / Andrew POJE CAN 1
Laurence FOURNIER BEAUDRY / Nikolaj SORENSEN CAN 1 S
Piper GILLES / Paul POIRIER CAN 1 S
2 Gabriella PAPADAKIS / Guillaume CIZERON FRA 2
3 Charlene GUIGNARD / Marco FABBRI ITA 3
Jasmine TESSARI / Francesco FIORETTI ITA 3 S
4 Misato KOMATSUBARA / Tim KOLETO JPN 4
5 Victoria SINITSINA / Nikita KATSALAPOV RUS 5
6 Madison HUBBELL / Zachary DONOHUE USA 6
Madison CHOCK / Evan BATES USA 6 S

S - Substitute Entry

29.03.2019 09:01:22

ETA:

Team Captains (listed in order of country qualification): http://www.isuresults.com/events/wtt2019/wtt-19_teams.htm

Team Russia: Nikita KATSALAPOV
Team United States of America: Madison HUBBELL
Team Japan: Misato KOMATSUBARA
Team France: Morgan CIPRES
Team Italy Marco FABBRI
Team Canada: Andrew POJE

Go USA and Japan for a lady captain. The rest looks like what we call a “manel” in the think-tank advocacy world. :rolleyes:

Jammers

Team USA
Ladies: Mariah Bell & Bradie Tennell (alternate: Starr Andrews)
Mens: Nathan Chen & Vincent Zhou (alternate: Jason Brown)
Pairs: Ashley Cain & Timothy LeDuc (alternate: Denney/Frazier)
Dance: Madison Hubbell & Zachary Donohue (Alternate: Chock/Bates)
Really USFSA? Starr over Ting as an alternate? I would think a Junior world medal and higher placement at Nationals would put Ting over Andrews not even counting a Senior B silver in her first senior competition. :confused:

natsulian

Really USFSA? Starr over Ting as an alternate? I would think a Junior world medal and higher placement at Nationals would put Ting over Andrews not even counting a Senior B silver in her first senior competition. :confused:
Considering Ting was the first alternate for Worlds, I think it was Ting who probably declined an offer. She’s had a crazy season and needs the rest... but her idea of rest is training Quads so... xD

feraina

This is probably the last (small) chance of Starr earning a better SB so as to get into the top 24.

I don’t think it will matter in the end anyway. This is just a show of confidence for Starr. Ting is already flying high from 4CC, JW, and being alternate for WTT, which is clearly a consolation prize. Look how Russia picked Liza for it.

Tinami Amori

I hope Liza plots a coup. :EVILLE:
Maybe i don't know what benefits there are to being a "Team Captain", but from what i observed, that role is just extra work and responsibility, and a distruction from concentrating on your own skating, in other words "needless pain in the rear"..

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information