2019 ISU World Team Trophy, April 11-14, in Fukuoka, Japan

npavel

In what ranking? (For all scenarios I do ignore Kostner)
She neither leads the world standings as 137th , Leccardi is leading here ITA as 55th.
Same with SB, where Gennaro leads (46th), Piredda (65th)

My post with Leccardi was due to the simple fact for the WTT rules, the highest ranked is supposed to go. (We all know this rule is stretched by all feds by a mile)

Piredda is good, no doubt, still I think Leccardi (in good form, which she is not obviously) is not worse. I am not impressed with any of the ITA ladies besides the 2 juniors Tornaghi and Beccari.

Is she? I always saw an unkown guy (to me) with her in knc this season, but might be I must have missed Bianconi with her.
If you take all results of this year, every time every lady competed, the worste result of Piredda in her senior carrier is higher than the best result of every other skater. She skated her first senior competition in January and have obtained the worlds minimum at every competition in every segment of the competition.

Sylvia

TBD
Jack Gallagher's article recapping Day 1 (Men's & Ladies SP, Rhythm Dance): https://www.japantimes.co.jp/sports...ht-lead-japan-world-team-trophy/#.XK-IgZjYrnE
Some skater quotes:
“It’s so different from worlds, but I’m still in pretty good condition,” Chen stated, when asked about his motivation level for the event. “Knowing that worlds was the peak of the season, I just want to give my body a little bit of time to recover so I can start fresh from next season and start offseason training.”
“I thought the quad lutz might have been under-rotated, but the judges didn’t think so,” Zhou mentioned. “I know I can do it better. Everything else was fairly clean in the program.”
“Japan is in a very good place now thanks to the other skaters,” Uno remarked. “My role should have been to put Japan in an even better position, and I wasn’t able to do that so I feel really bad.”
“Compared to the worlds and Grand Prix Final, I had better focus on my jumps today and in this kind of relaxed competition it was good,” Kihira stated. “I think that was one of my best axels. Usually I overthink about the entry to my course, but today I checked my course and was able to do it. I resolved to get it right this time.”
“When Rika was performing, I could hear the audience really cheering, and that told me she had landed the axel,” Sakamoto remarked. “That made me think I have to put in a really good performance as well. Rika is somebody that I usually compete against, but now that we are doing this team event I knew that I needed to work with her and that actually gave me good energy.”
“I did all my jumps in practice and feel like I was more relaxed,” Tuktamysheva stated. “This is the last competition of the season, and I feel like I had not shown everything. Everybody knows how my season ended (not being selected for Russia’s team for the worlds), I wanted to finish the short program with a very strong performance and I hope I can do the same for the free skate.”

ISU's Day 1 summary & photos: https://www.isu.org/figure-skating/...ab-lead-at-world-team-trophy?templateParam=15
Quotes from the captains of the top 3 teams:
“This is my first time at a team event and what a great way to start,” team captain Madison Hubbell said. “Team USA had all very strong performances. We have a team of Olympic (team) members, National Champions, World medalists, all World (team) members. We knew we were strong going in and we wanted to fight together as a team and to show how strong we are.”
“Coming into the team event for the first time, I knew everybody in our team is very talented and there was one great performance after the other,” Japan team captain Misato Komatsubura said. “Personally, even though we (she and partner Tim Koleto) gave our best, we still were in last place, but I think it is a stepping stone for tomorrow.”
“It was a good day for Russia,” team captain Katsalapov said. “I am very happy for Lisa Tuktamysheva to come back on to the ice and put out that kind of strong performance and also Andrei Lazukin did a great job. Victoria and I are also pleased with our own performance. Each team member tried to stay in shape for this competition.” \

ETA link to Kyodo News article & photos: Rika Kihira posts highest women's score with stellar SP
"I'm just extremely happy. I was surprised at how high the score was," said Kihira, who is competing in her first season on the international senior circuit. "I was able to remain calm and concentrate on all of my jumps. It was the best triple axel I have landed in a competition."
She previously set the record for best short program score by a woman under the new scoring system, introduced ahead of this season, at December's Grand Prix Final.

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Getty Images (action photos of Nathan and the Japanese singles skaters so far)

ETA:

ISU has provided Day 1 quotes (linked from their event page) -- the team captains of the current top 3 were each asked how they were chosen:
Madison Hubbell (USA), 1st place after Day One
... In our federation, they sent out a vote. So every member of the team was able to vote for whom they wanted to be captain. I'm very honored that my teammates chose me.
Misato Komatsubara (JPN), 2nd place after Day One
... Seven out of the eight members of our team are at this event for the first time, so I expected Shoma (Uno) to be the captain, but he somehow got out of it. So I think it was decided by the order of age.
Nikita Katsalapov (RUS), 3rd place after Day One
... I was appointed by our federation, so I don’t think there was a vote by the team. But I think it is a very honorable position and I’m trying my best to motivate and to help them morally, but I cannot skate for them. I’m doing everything for them that depends on me.

Last edited:

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝

LOVE how they really make an event out of this... There was so much prequel to this I had no idea when it was going to even start...

I miss when it was very popular in USA...

So cool..

(Added later:)) Holy Cr*p..Im still watching this link... Looks like no Project Runway for ANL tonight.

How cool The Cains traveled right back for this!!!! And who doesnt love some Mozer.... Grassl such a cutey.

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Just realized "ISU Team Trophy" in the search box brings up many more on and off ice shots -- 265 photos from Day 1: Getty Images

From the WTT Ladies SP thread re. the kiss & cry signs in Japanese pictured in these screen caps:
(Kaori) https://www.instagram.com/p/BwHBa1TH4W2/
(Rika) https://www.instagram.com/p/BwG_3d4H9Ps/
「よくやった」=Good job!
「平成」=’Heisei' is the name of current emperor's era
「令和」='Reiwa' is the name of next emperor's era

Current emperor is elderly and he's going to retire next month. Recently the name of next emperor's era was announced. Now Japan is sorta excited about the change of the eras.
Thanks, @rosewood. :) There are some links posted in the Royalty Thread #8 in OTBT about the upcoming abdication.

Last edited:

aussieSKATES

We looked at the men's free skating elements sheet.

It has been confirmed that Shoma Uno is planning to include a triple axel - quadruple toe loop in combination.

History in the making at the ISU World Team Trophy.

Last edited:

aussieSKATES

We like that the skaters are performing in order of their short program and rhythm dance results. It certainly adds another level of excitement to the event.

Sylvia

TBD
Just realized "ISU Team Trophy" in the search box brings up many more on and off ice shots: Getty Images
487 photos through Day 2 are up at the Getty Images link above.

Jack Gallagher's Day 2 recap includes quotes from the top 3 men: https://www.japantimes.co.jp/sports...mmanding-lead-world-team-trophy/#.XLDIn5jYrnF
Chen:
“I’m upset about that triple axel. It was the last axel of the season and I didn’t hit it,” Chen stated. “I kind of ruined that streak, but it’s something to look forward to for next season.”
The Salt Lake City native was satisfied with his performance under the circumstances.
“I think the program went OK. I was definitely holding back a bit as I am a little sick right now,” Chen noted. “I put 100 percent effort into the program and was happy I was able to do it.”
Zhou:
“That was the best skate I have ever had,” Zhou noted. “I felt more relaxed and confident in my technique than before. I think the reason for that is working with Hamada-sensei has really helped me develop my jump technique to a point where I can be more sure of where my body is and stack over myself so I have a better axis and landing.”
Zhou was very pleased when he saw the scores of the judges after his free skate.
“All the jumps were called clean. I think that was right this time,” Zhou remarked. “Everything felt super good and I’m proud to finally have a truly clean protocol.”
Uno on his first attempt of 3A+4T in competition:
“I have been practicing it and was determined to include it. There was no specific reason other than I wanted to do it,” Uno stated. “I felt fatigued after the salchow and didn’t have enough energy to complete the triple axel/quad toe loop. I lost control, but want to be able to incorporate it in the future.”
Kyodo News article & photos: https://english.kyodonews.net/news/...rd-as-chen-zhou-dominate-mens-free-skate.html

ISU's Day 2 recap & photos: https://www.isu.org/figure-skating/...build-team-s-lead-in-fukuoka?templateParam=15

Sylvia

TBD
^^^ Thanks! I'll look for more closing banquet photo links to post here later.

715 photos through the final day of competition including some fun kiss & cry shots: Getty Images

Jack Gallagher's Day 3 article: Bradie Tennell's stellar free skate secures World Team Trophy title for U.S.
Quotes from the top 3 plus Kihira:
“I was glad that the season ended so good,” stated Tuktamysheva. “I was able to do all of my jumps well today. The judges gave me good marks, so I am happy.”
Tuktamysheva noted that the triple axel was key to her success in the free skate.
“This season my triple axel became more stable. When I land the triple axel, I become more confident about my other jumps,” Tuktamysheva commented. “I was relieved when I finished, knowing I did my best.”
Tuktamysheva, who said she is planning to use two triple axels in her free skate next season, saluted the fans of the host nation for their support
“I wanted to give all my emotion today because the crowd was really cheering for me,” Tuktamysheva said. “They really encouraged me. The audience in Japan is always wonderful.”
Bradie Tennnell:
“I think today was the best I have ever skated my long program and I’m super proud of that,” Tennell stated. “It’s been a tough season, so I’m really happy that I was able to skate it so freely today in front of the best crowd. What a great way to end the season.”
Tennell is hoping to take the momentum from her results here into next season.
“I think this will really be a big confidence booster for me,” Tennell noted. “This season I second-guessed myself a lot when I got out there. I was trying too hard to force it to happen instead of being myself and letting it happen.”
Kaori Sakamoto:
“I was very nervous, but I told myself I could do it and went out and did it,” Sakamoto remarked. “I was worried at the end if I had really done all of my jumps. I focused a lot on the triple lutz, flying sit spin and step sequence, but unfortunately I was not able to do it well.”
Sakamoto acknowledged that the judges may have been generous with their scoring.
“If that was a season’s best, I know I can do a better performance,” Sakamoto said.
Rika Kihira:
“I felt like I had spent all of my energy in the short program and my body was very tense today,” Kihira stated. “I tried to improve it with massaging before the free skate, but it didn’t work. My legs were very heavy today.”
Kihira cited her condition as something that needs work moving forward.
“For next season I need to be really aware of myself and my form,” Kihira said. “I want to have good chemistry with the rink and be able to do my two triple axels with ease.
“Because of the difficulty of my program, I need to be really aware of my condition,” Kihira added. “I felt like I did not have enough stamina.”

ISU's Day 3 summary & photos: USA claims fourth World Team Trophy title

Kyodo News has a negative headline & includes a photo of Kihira sprawled on the ice: Sakamoto, Kihira fail to gain victory for Japan

Associated Press article: US wins skating’s World Team Trophy in Japan

Sylvia

TBD
In the press conference afterwards, the medal-winning team captains were each asked about "how the WTT format compares to the Olympic format and how this format could be developed further" -- here are their replies as published on ISU's WTT event website:

Madison Hubbell (USA), 2019 World Team Trophy Champions team:
This is my first experience, so I have not lived another format. I unfortunately was not able to participate in the team event at the last Olympics. The feeling I have is that while it should be mandatory to have a different skater for each segment. At the Olympics they should allow two entries for all of the events, because I think there are many teams with an abundant amount of talented skaters. I know that my federation would have loved to put two more skaters on that team and give them the chance to come home with a medal. That is something I would like them to consider for Beijing.

Misato Komatsubara (JPN), 2019 World Team Trophy silver medalists team:
For me this was the first time to experience the team event. I haven't been to the Olympics. Having come to World Team Trophy, I really felt that the cheering and the energy that I was getting from my team gave me a lot of motivation. So I would love to see this happen every year.

Nikita Katsalapov (RUS), 2019 World Team Trophy bronze medalists team:
Both formats are very interesting. I agree with Madison and I think on our National team we have some more strong skaters that could show very strong results, in pairs and ice dance for example. It would be similar to the Olympic format, I guess. These competitions are different from each other. But in both, the atmosphere is indescribable. You are not responsible only for yourself when you go out on to the ice, but you are fighting together with your team.

The 3 captains were also asked the tricky question "who contributed the most to the team"? ;)

Hubbell:
This is an impossible question. I cannot pick one person. You look at our team box, it is full with decorations. Ashley and Tim brought the big hats that everybody loved and our team leader brought Uncle Sam. As team captain, I was there for almost every single event. Zach (Zachary Donohue) was backstage giving pep talks to the ladies today, because they were a little tired. So we all put in equal effort and everybody gave some of their absolute best performances of the season. Our strength came from the fact that we all came together as a team. I honestly believe if you have replaced us or taken out any of us, it wouldn't have worked as well.

Komatsubara:
I really can’t choose one person. I think it is actually a beautiful thing that we can't choose who contributed the most. Our team leader brought the national flag, it wasn't just the skaters, Kaori's mother, my father, we all did something to help and I think that made us all very happy. It wasn't just the Japanese team either, I think all of the teams were very beautiful.

Katsalapov:
We cannot single out one person. We worked as one, we consulted each other, we all get along very well in the team, because we're friends and we’re a team.

miffy

Bad Brit
Staff member
What about the countries in the team event with only one entry qualified per discipline?! I think that’s slightly short sighted of Hubbell...”The feeling I have is that while it should be mandatory to have a different skater for each segment.”:confused:

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
What about the countries in the team event with only one entry qualified per discipline?! I think that’s slightly short sighted of Hubbell...”The feeling I have is that while it should be mandatory to have a different skater for each segment.”:confused:
I know the IOC is trying to limit the number of athletes but I would have to take a look at the teams that competed in Sochi and Pyeongchang to see how many additional athletes would be necessary to achieve what Madison proposes. Perhaps the solution should be to reduce the number of teams that qualify for the Olympic team event to 8 then? I know Russia only had one man in 2014 and the USA only had one pairs teams in 2018.

The biggest change I would make to the Olympic team event is the points awarded for the FPs. The current format gives way too much emphasis on the SP results, IMO, especially when you're eliminating half the field (and in the case of pairs and dance, some of the top teams when you cut France or Germany or China or Italy) between the SP and FP.

miffy

Bad Brit
Staff member
I completely agree about the weighting of the FP. I would score it 10,8,6,4,2.

I was just thinking of Team GB in 2014, we had Penny/Nick, Stacey/David and Jenna who qualified in their own right, and then Matt Parr was given a spot in the team event only. So to make Hubbell’s suggestion happen GB would have had to be given 5 extra entries! Maybe that is an extreme example but it’s a possibility....

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
I completely agree about the weighting of the FP. I would score it 10,8,6,4,2.

I was just thinking of Team GB in 2014, we had Penny/Nick, Stacey/David and Jenna who qualified in their own right, and then Matt Parr was given a spot in the team event only. So to make Hubbell’s suggestion happen GB would have had to be given 5 extra entries! Maybe that is an extreme example but it’s a possibility....
Well, that's exactly it. I'm not sure there is enough added value to justify teams like Great Britain or Ukraine (the two lowest scoring teams in Sochi) or South Korea, Israel & France (the three lowest scoring teams in Pyeongchang).

Spain actually had more points than both Israel and South Korea in 2018 but only qualified in two disciplines. South Korea and France did at least manage to qualify teams in all four disciplines. It was worse in 2014 with South Korea, Spain, and Kazakhstan all having more points than Ukraine but only qualified in two disciplines, though Ukraine did manage to qualify entrants in all four disciplines. I think there is a pretty strong argument to drop down to 8 or 9 teams for the Olympics Team Event.

As far as the weighting of the FP, I'd be inclined to double it, but I'd also have all 8 teams skate in both portions of the competition.

Dobre

I think there is a pretty strong argument to drop down to 8 or 9 teams for the Olympics Team Event.

I hope not. I thought we had a very nice battle between Israel, Korea, and Australia to make that team event. It was nice to see countries put a little effort into trying to participate in all four disciplines. I thought the qualification process needed to change, as it wasn't right to see Korean athletes held back from competing in specific events prior to the Olympics lest it cost the team points overall and also--likely for the same reason--Israel holding onto its dance berth at SA until the last minute even though they knew Tobias & Tkachenko weren't going to compete; but that's a minor issue to tweak. Anyway, I thought the fight to qualify as a team was very interesting. Spain barely missed qualifying for the Olympics in three disciplines in 2018. Their pairs team just missed the cut at Nebelhorn and finished 15th at Worlds this year. Anyway, I think it's quite possible the possibility of an Olympic team event may have motivated them in their training, and I'm sure it is motivation for Kerry & Dodds in dance.

miffy

Bad Brit
Staff member
I like seeing the ‘lower ranked’ teams as well in the team event. It’s much more fun. It’s not just about the medal challenge.
I wouldn’t mind if they let there be 8 participants per country instead of maximum of 6, but I still think the idea of making it compulsory to change is crazy. What if there was a strong country that didn’t even have a second pair team - for example, if Japan didn’t would that mean they couldn’t take part or had to give up those points? :confused:

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
Maybe take Madison's idea, but change it so that teams are limited to Skaters already entered in the Olympics, unless they fall into that group of a country that qualified but didn't qualify in all four disciplines.

This is potentially a disadvantage for countries with only one entrant per discipline, but as it is a team championship, why shouldn't a deeper team be rewarded?

Debbie S

I took Madison's comment to mean that substitutions should be allowed in all disciplines in the team event, not just two, of the skaters already qualified for the Olys. I don't think she meant countries not qualifying an entry should get an extra 2. She and Zach have talked about how they were ranked as the 2nd U.S. dance team after Nats and that the Shibs were the ones to decide to compete one or both segments. If substitutions were mandatory, they would have competed.

I think it's a good suggestion, but there would need to be a clause that limits substitute entries to what the team has qualified, and if a team hasn't qualified for the regular event, they still just get one.

Dobre

I don't think it should be mandatory. I think if it's going to be allowed in two disciplines, it should be allowed in all of them. But if you're really going to fight for a medal--especially a gold medal--you should be able to play your best cards. As we saw Canada & Italy both do at the Olympics. I think they should just weigh all the disciplines equally as at the Olympics, but with Japan funding WTT, I don't see that happening. Seems more plausible at International Team Challenge where there are multiple countries represented on each team.

ross_hy

I think the number of teams for the short and free should be the same, so the weighting is equal. I also like the idea of two men and two ladies per team. Maybe they could allow a switch of either the pair or dance team for the free skate? Based on the 2018 Olympic event, this would add 8 athletes (1 CHN, 2 FRA, 2 GER, 1 ISR, 1 ITA, 1 KOR), so the IOC probably wouldn't go for it.

I would like to see the WTT add one "world" team for skaters whose countries don't have enough depth to field a full team - this year's team could have been (based on who was at Worlds) Jin, Bychenko, Tursy, Lim, Sui/Han, and Kaliszek/Spodyriev.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information